IT.COM

Tried to sell a domain to a business and get called a scammer instead... lol

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here's the story, I bought a cool domain name via ExpiredDomains that I thought had a lot of potential. I saw a business on facebook dealing with cars called AceGT so I contacted them with this set of messages.

Did I do anything wrong to deserve this? lol I am just confused at how dumb they seem to be.

Me: Hi AceGT, I happen to be the owner of www.acegt.com, I'm wondering if you might be interested in purchasing this premium name to further grow your business and brand to a more professional standard.

This is a very short 5 letter domain that has a lot of strengths associated with it, 2 very short and valuable keywords Ace and GT. It can be very versatile as well since Samsung also has a phone called Ace GT. Thanks for your consideration.

Them: :thumbsup icon: Why Ace Gt other than Samsung

Me: Well basically both these words are highly popular (Ace & GT) and it's not very unlikely that a company, like yours would choose to pick it for a name. Together it means the expert in GT cars which is a good meaning as well.

Them: Sorry. Dont mean to insult. Its as good as i got your Bank cheque book and try to sell it back to you isn't it? Park domain does not mean you are the rightful owner.

Them: [Blocked me via facebook]

[I made a new account and followed up.]

Me: I had to make a new account for facebook since you blocked me. Is this how you really do business, block people with genuine intentions without being sure?

And do you happen to know how domain selling works? I own the name via the registrar NameSilo.com . If we agree on a price, I can put it up and use their service to sell it straight away to you instead of you transferring the funds directly to me.

For example, I own another domain called http://www.clubstate.com/ and that's listed for a price which you buy through NameSilo's website.

No big deal if you're not interested at all, I can sell it to someone else or keep the name for my portfolio. [Sent a screenshot of my owned domains in NameSilo Domain Manager]

Them: Its ok. Enjoy your day. Upz for your sales. Ace Gt domain worth a lot. Can sell high.

How business is done does not need your approval boss. Why dont you try this scam on banks? E.g "own" citibank.xxx and try to sell them? Wake up and earn a decent income. Leave us alone. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am a big believer in the KISS principle

kiss.jpg

:xf.grin:

•••
Sorry you are getting roasted @cixxy !!

Looks like you are open to learning. Good luck

•••
Wait until someone buys the name of you, and goes and tries to sell it to the same people you just did (n)

•••
Sorry you are getting roasted @cixxy !!

Looks like you are open to learning. Good luck

It was really helpful to get advice after trying my first outbound sale. No one can learn without making mistakes and It's not like I regret it or anything, I love the domain name anyway. About the roasting, I don't care for my haters lol they can go on and hate <3 Not here to please everyone.

Wait until someone buys the name of you, and goes and tries to sell it to the same people you just did (n)

Gold.

•••
Annoying approach, partially because wordy but also simply annoying.

That continues after being blocked.

:bored:

To learn from this just be aware that your particular brand of perseverance comes across as annoying. Keep it short next time and if someone is not interested or especially if you are blocked, move on.

They responded at all not because they were interested in your offer but because you were so annoying that you got their goad up and they wanted to put you in your place with the last word.

I will say however that I do not believe that it is your intention to be annoying, but for various reasons (review some of the above posts) this is exactly how you come across - as an irritant. So, modify your approach! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

In general outbound is an uphill battle but when you come across like this, you have less than zero chance.

Last edited:
•••
I pitched WordSoftware.com to the owners of WordHR.com (they sell HR software) on Facebook saying: “would you be interested in owning this domain name?”

They responded with: “We are selling the software. Would you be interested in owning the software?”

I moved on. Rejection and being called names is normal when doing outbound.

The name was later sold to the owners of WordSoftwareServices.com

•••
Park domain does not mean you are the rightful owner.
That says it all. Trust.

Get yourself some simple scripts for professional domain landing page. Better still, a marketplace to showcase your portfolio. With description of each domain and why you think the domain is great, with Buy it now buttons leading to various sales platforms and with options to pay immediately via escrow or paypal. See example of what I'm saying here: https://salesrex.com

It's not perfect, but certainly the right way to go.

•••
That says it all. Trust.

Get yourself some simple scripts for professional domain landing page. Better still, a marketplace to showcase your portfolio. With description of each domain and why you think the domain is great, with Buy it now buttons leading to various sales platforms and with options to pay immediately via escrow or paypal. See example of what I'm saying here: https://salesrex.com

It's not perfect, but certainly the right way to go.
You page wouldnt load after 15 seconds. Not the way to go

•••
•••
A selling point of the domain name is its versatility to be adaptable to many industries not just the car industry, but mobiles, graphic cards as well with the GT label. Why else duh

So you were trying to use the same sales tactics you would use to persuade a fellow domainer to purchase, on this potential end-user .

duh, Not smart at-all

Last edited:
•••
It was really helpful to get advice after trying my first outbound sale. No one can learn without making mistakes and It's not like I regret it or anything, I love the domain name anyway. About the roasting, I don't care for my haters lol they can go on and hate <3 Not here to please everyone.

Gold.

I don't think anyone "hates you", personally.

more like it's "hate on" how you corresponded...the actions you took and the attitude you take, afterward.

if and/or when you or anyone else decides to send solicitations,
then in a profound way, their actions can create negative generalities about domainers as a group.

as those negative responses from the recipients of solicitations increase, then that "pre-conceived notion effect", will... in effect, affect, the "outbound" process and those who send solicitations, as a whole.

domainers try other domainers tactics, but may not have same quality of names or same eloquence in writing and communication skills, which at the very least, could impress recipients with a well written letter

you feel me -

imo…..

•••
You page wouldnt load after 15 seconds. Not the way to go
The concept, the approach is working - that's the core message and NOT a random landing page working or not working.
Be informed that I have hundreds of such landing pages - unique for each domain in my portfolio. A landing page status may not be stable : change of registrar, server down, problem with DNS, SSL, off-shelf for internal reasons, pre-sales negotiation etc. If the OP is interested in what I've said above, he can access my portfolio ( namecape.com ) and click on any of the domains to see the landing page(s). He can also PM me if he needs assistance.

Last edited:
•••
I pitched WordSoftware.com to the owners of WordHR.com (they sell HR software) on Facebook saying: “would you be interested in owning this domain name?”

They responded with: “We are selling the software. Would you be interested in owning the software?”

Lol, with a clever response like that I wouldn't even mind losing the sale :)

•••
Like you said, this was your first try. I'm sure you'll learn from this one lol.

Hi AceGT, I happen to be the owner of www.acegt.com, I'm wondering if you might be interested in purchasing this premium name to further grow your business and brand to a more professional standard.
This is a very short 5 letter domain that has a lot of strengths associated with it, 2 very short and valuable keywords Ace and GT. It can be very versatile as well since Samsung also has a phone called Ace GT. Thanks for your consideration.

Hello Mr/Mrs AceGT, I am the owner of www.acegt.com. Would you be interested in acquiring this name? I think it would be a great way to establish your brand.

Best regards

DONE.
Forget about 5 letters explanations and valuable keywords etc.. they have no idea what you are talking about. Then going with Samsung and GT cars lolollol. all ON THE FIRST MESSAGE!

Overwhelming and unprofessional.

No offense, but that was terrible.
Learn from it.

Best regards

•••
I would start my own brand as reseller and sit it above them in search engines and try again.
Read some examples of outbound but better still work on how you will reply to an inbound as they are far more important.

Last edited:
•••
Ain't that the truth. I prefer ANY reply to no reply, which is what I get to 95% of my outbounds. At least you know they actually received it and saw it. :)
That's true. At least 95% outbounds get ignored. The endusers are not well prepared to spend their$$$ on a domain.:xf.frown:

•••
The other thought I had on this was due to their response which also seemed to lack education would have been to make it a bit more comical due to the response.

I would have worded better in first place but given the reaction.
I would have joked it was a 2018 model with low miles only costing $15 for service a year. After delivery you can custom paint your site in one of 16,777,216 different colors. Dealer delivery is handled thrugh Namesilo.

As a salesperson you want to present the offer and then shut up it sells itself if it is right. You encourge them to make an offer. You need not show why the domain has value where are your cards for later this is how you bump up their offer. Do not mention Samsung or any other brand for that matter your selling their brand to them. I can go on about how but you need to think outside the box and plan your negotiation backwards. How did the guy get 30k for a 5L domain he planned the final number to be 30k. Your not that guy....

Any form of unsolicited email is considered spamming. There is no fine lines i have had warnings from telcos and have had to prove I have had already collected permission from subscribers to my sites I fortunatly had records for every complaint now imagine dealing with this is you were actually spamming sending out emails to randoms. That is right that is what we do but we target and target well or perhaps face problems. Huge fines.

Last edited:
•••
Here's the story, I bought a cool domain name via ExpiredDomains that I thought had a lot of potential. I saw a business on facebook dealing with cars called AceGT so I contacted them with this set of messages.

Did I do anything wrong to deserve this? lol I am just confused at how dumb they seem to be.

Me: Hi AceGT, I happen to be the owner of www.acegt.com, I'm wondering if you might be interested in purchasing this premium name to further grow your business and brand to a more professional standard.

Them: :thumbsup icon: Why Ace Gt other than Samsung

Me: Well basically both these words are highly popular (Ace & GT) and it's not very unlikely that a company, like yours would choose to pick it for a name. Together it means the expert in GT cars which is a good meaning as well.

Them: Sorry. Dont mean to insult. Its as good as i got your Bank cheque book and try to sell it back to you isn't it? Park domain does not mean you are the rightful owner.

Them: [Blocked me via facebook]

[I made a new account and followed up.]

Me: I had to make a new account for facebook since you blocked me. Is this how you really do business, block people with genuine intentions without being sure?

And do you happen to know how domain selling works? I own the name via the registrar NameSilo.com . If we agree on a price, I can put it up and use their service to sell it straight away to you instead of you transferring the funds directly to me.

For example, I own another domain called http://www.clubstate.com/ and that's listed for a price which you buy through NameSilo's website.

No big deal if you're not interested at all, I can sell it to someone else or keep the name for my portfolio. [Sent a screenshot of my owned domains in NameSilo Domain Manager]

Them: Its ok. Enjoy your day. Upz for your sales. Ace Gt domain worth a lot. Can sell high.

How business is done does not need your approval boss. Why dont you try this scam on banks? E.g "own" citibank.xxx and try to sell them? Wake up and earn a decent income. Leave us alone. Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't send a message through FB. I also wouldn't tell them they could build their business to a more 'professional standard'. I would be more than a little affronted if a stranger via FB told me how to build my business to a more professional standard.

Every single outbound I send contains a line at the end stating that if they don't respond to my email in reference to the domain they won't receive any further correspondence from me - and they don't, because you can get in trouble for harassment.

•••
Any form of unsolicited email is considered spamming.
There is no fine lines.
i have had warnings from telcos and have had to prove I have had already collected permission from subscribers to my sites
I fortunatly had records for every complaint
now imagine dealing with this
you were actually spamming, sending out emails to randoms.
That is right that is what we do, but we target and target well or perhaps face problems.
Huge fines.

That really should be emphasized and understood, in totality

glad your shared that perspective!

imo….

•••
As you mentioned, Samsung have a phone called ACE. If they have a model exactly called the 'ACE GT'. Then the domain isn't going to sell IMO unless you find a legit business that existed before SAMSUNG used the term. Limits your potential users.

Your approach was all wrong. Simple is the way to go, like....

Hi / Dear Sir/Madam (depending on the type of business you're targeting),

I am the owner of acegt.com. Would you be interested in acquiring it?

Kind regards

you could also add a link to where the domain is listed for sale - like SEDO maybe. That would help them understand that the domain is yours as SEDO offers buyer protection etc.

Simple emails work the best IMO - too much info and you sound desperate.

•••
•••
•••
Copy/paste to your browser:

salesrex.com

problem solved.
This can't be called "problem solved". It's just bypass, but the problem is there. Hire a professional if you don't know how internet works.

•••
This can't be called "problem solved". It's just bypass, but the problem is there. Hire a professional if you don't know how internet works.
Due to heavy spam bots activities distorting stats, that very lander has been configured to accept only type-in traffic. with empty HTTP_REFERER, that is. I shouldn't have sited it as an example with link.

P.S.
Inserting html hyper-link is something a school boy could do - you don't need a professional to do that.

Last edited:
•••
Due to heavy spam bots activities distorting stats, that very lander has been configured to accept only type-in traffic. with empty HTTP_REFERER, that is. I shouldn't have sited it as an example with link.

P.S.
Inserting html hyper-link is something a school boy could do - you don't need a professional to do that.
This is why i use efty. Down time does not exist

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back