IT.COM

discuss TOP 10 mistakes new gTLD investors are doing in 2018 - Are you GUILTY of any of them?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
Hi friends,

I did not have much time for NamePros discussions lately (except my appraisal thread for new gTLDs, where I spend some of my time), but I still like to read new articles and threads here. As some of you might know, I invest exclusively in new gTLD names. It is difficult for me not to notice that some new gTLD fellow investors are not doing well, therefore I am going to write some suggestions & hopefully it will be helpful for some members here!

TOP 10 mistakes new gTLD investors are doing in 2018!

Mistake no.1 - you are registering BAD, WORTHLESS names!
This mistake is far far the most important one - everything else can be forgotten, but if you have bad names, you will never make any profit. The appraisal thread I am running is unfortunately full of such examples...

Mistake no.2 - you are registering lot of names, and will be forced to dropped them prior the first renewal.
This is because you ignore the fact that even in best portfolios which are really well selected, only 1% of names are sold yearly for price which can be considered significant. And many portfolios I see here are not well selected, and there will be 0 sales in total, due to mistake no.1

Mistake no.3 - you spend too much time at Namepros, instead of LikedIn, Twitter, Facebook or Twitter.
Just to clarify, I love Namepros, and I love to hang around here. I also like to buy domains here for few dollars. But most of your end users (when it comes to new gTLDs) are simply not here. You need to reach out on various platforms, as here you speak mostly with other domainers, which is great for educational or recreational purposes, but not for your sales. Largest sales are made to end users, not to fellow domain speculators/investors.

Mistake no.4 - you are trying to impress, or get an agreement/approval from hardcore .com investors.
I mean, come on - selected, high quality new gTLD domain names are direct competition to valuable .com portfolios - there is only limited amount of money spent on domains, and new gTLDs are redirecting part of that money flow towards them. It is therefore logical that it is an unwanted competition for many .com holders and we can not expect lot of praise on them because of that. Saying that, I can clearly see some .com investors are very nice and genuine here, so this can not be generalised - still, it is good idea to have this notion somewhere back in your mind, as seeking approval of your new gTLDs names from someone who spent years to build his or her legacy extensions portfolio can be an doomed effort from the very start.

Mistake no.5 - you are trying to get an appraisal of your new gTLD name from .com investors.
Again, even in 2018, you will get lot of "regfee" comments or "I would stick with .com" comments -this is one of the reasons I am runnig the appraisal thread exclusively for new gTLDs, and I would like to invite other new gTLD investors to be more active in appraisal threads as well. In general, anytime someone gives you an appraisal or advice, try to check the domain portfolio of that person ..for example, if you see lot of bad domain names, it also can give you some information about the quality of such "appraisal".

Mistake no.6: you do not have your own marketplace ..
It really takes only few minutes and few dollars to create domain name marketplace, using solutions like efty.com, or to create simple webpage using wix.com. There is really no excuse for not having your marketplace nice and ready. Especially after GDPR legislation in place since May 2018, we really need to project some more credibility towards end users, and having nice marketplace is very good way to do so!

Mistake no.7: you have your marketplace created, but you operate from .com domain name...
Really???If you sell new gTLDs, you need to lead by your own example...so your markteplace also should operate on new gTLD extension. How can you possibly persuade end user to replace his long or ugly legacy name with new gTLD, if you do not operate from new gTLD? Think about it for a minute.

Mistake no.8: you are registering domain names with renewals around 500 and higher.
And you persuade yourself that you will develop it, if not flipped within 1 year. Yes, you can have 1 or 2 such names, no problem, but if you buy 30 of them, there is no way you will be able to develop all of them within 1 year. So you will end up dropping maybe 28 of them. And then you willl be really hating new gTLDs and "those greedy registries and ICANN maybe as well". This happend to many people 4 years ago, and we saw that recently again few weeks ago (who can guess the extension?), and I am sure we will see it again in near future when other planned new gTLD extensions will go to General Availability.

Mistake no.9: you do not care what are companies behind particular extensions.
You even can not tell difference between registrar and registries. You do not understand that once you drop you new gTLD domain name, it can be easily re-priced by registry, or it can be reserved by registry. You drop your good name, and then you start topics on Namepros saying "Registry reserved my name, please help!"...

Mistake no.10: you registered 1000 of very bad names, which will be only pure money loss.
Then (because you got lucky), you finally get a really good new gTLD name, with low standard renewal. Finally something good! This is a name which you should keep and wait for good ofers. But (because you have spent money on those 1000 bad domain names and everyone laughts at you ) you feel you need some casflow now! And because you are lazy to create your own marketplace (and from unknown reason you cannot also create your LinkedIn profile which is free of charge), and you do not like to send emails to end users because it is too much work, and you do not like to make phonecalls (from your country it is expensive anyway), you start $1 auction here...then it goes like this:
up
up
last 24 hours, SUPER PREMIUM name, a STEAL!!!
up
LAST BID IS $2, SUPER PREMIUM, INSANE NAME!!! Can anyone give $3? Do I see $3 for it?
up
up
up
me: ok, I will take it for BIN, USD 10...

And then you are again left with your bad 1000 names.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So guys, are you guilty of any of this?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the first obvious mistake is registering two words + gtld too soon. If your looking at 2 words + extension you maybe better finding another extension with one word +gtld sounding better. (I do have a $500 domain mistake No #8. but 1,000,000 searches.)

•••
(a) So far in 2018 the ngTLD total sales are just over $3.6M on NameBio. If the rest of the year continue at same rate this will be the best year yet, by a small margin, on NameBio.
But who benefits ? Isn't it the registries that make the sales most of the time, especially the big sales ?

In other words, I wonder what percentage of that 3.6M in reported sales went to domainers and not straight to the registries ?

•••
I think many domainers don`t create own marketplace because their country`s tax board will tax them when taxman discover somehow that you own marketplace. When you just use marketplaces and auction sites like Sedo, Flippa etc., write sales letters and use Paypal, then there`s an opportunity to avoid taxes. Also, I know that some domainers avoid Facebook and LinkedIn, because sales letters may be considered spamming.

•••
Hi friends,

I did not have much time for NamePros discussions lately (except my appraisal thread for new gTLDs, where I spend some of my time), but I still like to read new articles and threads here. As some of you might know, I invest exclusively in new gTLD names. It is difficult for me not to notice that some new gTLD fellow investors are not doing well, therefore I am going to write some suggestions & hopefully it will be helpful for some members here!

TOP 10 mistakes new gTLD investors are doing in 2018!

Mistake no.1 - you are registering BAD, WORTHLESS names!
This mistake is far far the most important one - everything else can be forgotten, but if you have bad names, you will never make any profit. The appraisal thread I am running is unfortunately full of such examples...

Mistake no.2 - you are registering lot of names, and will be forced to dropped them prior the first renewal.
This is because you ignore the fact that even in best portfolios which are really well selected, only 1% of names are sold yearly for price which can be considered significant. And many portfolios I see here are not well selected, and there will be 0 sales in total, due to mistake no.1

Mistake no.3 - you spend too much time at Namepros, instead of LikedIn, Twitter, Facebook or Twitter.
Just to clarify, I love Namepros, and I love to hang around here. I also like to buy domains here for few dollars. But most of your end users (when it comes to new gTLDs) are simply not here. You need to reach out on various platforms, as here you speak mostly with other domainers, which is great for educational or recreational purposes, but not for your sales. Largest sales are made to end users, not to fellow domain speculators/investors.

Mistake no.4 - you are trying to impress, or get an agreement/approval from hardcore .com investors.
I mean, come on - selected, high quality new gTLD domain names are direct competition to valuable .com portfolios - there is only limited amount of money spent on domains, and new gTLDs are redirecting part of that money flow towards them. It is therefore logical that it is an unwanted competition for many .com holders and we can not expect lot of praise on them because of that. Saying that, I can clearly see some .com investors are very nice and genuine here, so this can not be generalised - still, it is good idea to have this notion somewhere back in your mind, as seeking approval of your new gTLDs names from someone who spent years to build his or her legacy extensions portfolio can be an doomed effort from the very start.

Mistake no.5 - you are trying to get an appraisal of your new gTLD name from .com investors.
Again, even in 2018, you will get lot of "regfee" comments or "I would stick with .com" comments -this is one of the reasons I am runnig the appraisal thread exclusively for new gTLDs, and I would like to invite other new gTLD investors to be more active in appraisal threads as well. In general, anytime someone gives you an appraisal or advice, try to check the domain portfolio of that person ..for example, if you see lot of bad domain names, it also can give you some information about the quality of such "appraisal".

Mistake no.6: you do not have your own marketplace ..
It really takes only few minutes and few dollars to create domain name marketplace, using solutions like efty.com, or to create simple webpage using wix.com. There is really no excuse for not having your marketplace nice and ready. Especially after GDPR legislation in place since May 2018, we really need to project some more credibility towards end users, and having nice marketplace is very good way to do so!

Mistake no.7: you have your marketplace created, but you operate from .com domain name...
Really???If you sell new gTLDs, you need to lead by your own example...so your markteplace also should operate on new gTLD extension. How can you possibly persuade end user to replace his long or ugly legacy name with new gTLD, if you do not operate from new gTLD? Think about it for a minute.

Mistake no.8: you are registering domain names with renewals around 500 and higher.
And you persuade yourself that you will develop it, if not flipped within 1 year. Yes, you can have 1 or 2 such names, no problem, but if you buy 30 of them, there is no way you will be able to develop all of them within 1 year. So you will end up dropping maybe 28 of them. And then you willl be really hating new gTLDs and "those greedy registries and ICANN maybe as well". This happend to many people 4 years ago, and we saw that recently again few weeks ago (who can guess the extension?), and I am sure we will see it again in near future when other planned new gTLD extensions will go to General Availability.

Mistake no.9: you do not care what are companies behind particular extensions.
You even can not tell difference between registrar and registries. You do not understand that once you drop you new gTLD domain name, it can be easily re-priced by registry, or it can be reserved by registry. You drop your good name, and then you start topics on Namepros saying "Registry reserved my name, please help!"...

Mistake no.10: you registered 1000 of very bad names, which will be only pure money loss.
Then (because you got lucky), you finally get a really good new gTLD name, with low standard renewal. Finally something good! This is a name which you should keep and wait for good ofers. But (because you have spent money on those 1000 bad domain names and everyone laughts at you ) you feel you need some casflow now! And because you are lazy to create your own marketplace (and from unknown reason you cannot also create your LinkedIn profile which is free of charge), and you do not like to send emails to end users because it is too much work, and you do not like to make phonecalls (from your country it is expensive anyway), you start $1 auction here...then it goes like this:
up
up
last 24 hours, SUPER PREMIUM name, a STEAL!!!
up
LAST BID IS $2, SUPER PREMIUM, INSANE NAME!!! Can anyone give $3? Do I see $3 for it?
up
up
up
me: ok, I will take it for BIN, USD 10...

And then you are again left with your bad 1000 names.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So guys, are you guilty of any of this?
Thanks Marek....as you know i'm big N2Domaining and next to you I'm probably the biggest supporter of ngTLD's than anyone in the world. I have a question...while 75% of my portfolio consists of ngTLD's and the other 25% mostly .coms would you recommend different sites for each? I own several pretty good site names for .coms and several for .domains. Thanks again for being a friend:xf.smile:

•••
I think the first obvious mistake is registering two words + gtld too soon. If your looking at 2 words + extension you maybe better finding another extension with one word +gtld sounding better. (I do have a $500 domain mistake No #8. but 1,000,000 searches.)
@lock if you have only few of such names and you can sustain to hold them long term, then it is not a mistake imo. Would you buy 100 such names, then it is a different story of course :)

•••
I think many domainers don`t create own marketplace because their country`s tax board will tax them when taxman discover somehow that you own marketplace. When you just use marketplaces and auction sites like Sedo, Flippa etc., write sales letters and use Paypal, then there`s an opportunity to avoid taxes. Also, I know that some domainers avoid Facebook and LinkedIn, because sales letters may be considered spamming.
It is much better when people pay taxes - they have then better sleep, and overall - if you do not need to hide and be anonymous, everything is much easier, imo. Saying that, one does not need to brag all over the internet about his or her sales as many famous domainers do :)

•••
@lock if you have only few of such names and you can sustain to hold them long term, then it is not a mistake imo. Would you buy 100 such names, then it is a different story of course :)
These names need a tad more than parking to be monetized but are what they are the direct type in once profiting will continue.

•••
Thanks Marek....as you know i'm big N2Domaining and next to you I'm probably the biggest supporter of ngTLD's than anyone in the world. I have a question...while 75% of my portfolio consists of ngTLD's and the other 25% mostly .coms would you recommend different sites for each? I own several pretty good site names for .coms and several for .domains. Thanks again for being a friend:xf.smile:
Rich, thank you for your kind words :)

As for your question, I think yes, definitely you should have 2 different sites if you have this ratio between new gTLDs and .coms in your portfolio.

I believe that if someone tries to sell new gTLDs from .com site, it instantly decrease his or her credibility. My first question as an end user would be: "Hey, but you operate from .com, why is that?" So one needs to lead by an example. Having nice site on new gTLD is therefore a very good idea imo.

What are your names you are considering to use for your marketplace (except DomainImagination / com)?

•••
But who benefits ? Isn't it the registries that make the sales most of the time, especially the big sales ?

In other words, I wonder what percentage of that 3.6M in reported sales went to domainers and not straight to the registries ?

I don't know of a way to get out of NameBio the individual details for more than 100 sales in a category at a time, so I tried to answer your question using the most recent month's data. This resulted in 99 ngTLD sales totalling $320.3k so I could analyze each of them.

Of the 99 ngTLD sales in the period, 29% (29 out of 99) were registry sales. The often repeated statement that there are pretty well only registry sales, is simply not supported by evidence. Most of the main marketplaces that report had at least a few sales during the period - e.g. 13 of the sales were on Sedo.

Of the $320.3k in sales during the period, 53.5% ($171.2k) were registry sales. This was dominated by a couple of two letter top extension registry domain sales in the period, each for about $50,000. If you look at the top 10 sales in the reporting period, it is true that registry sales dominate, with 6 of the 10 sales being registry.

The figure is for a single month, but it, and similar analysis in the past, gives me confidence that the figure that I used in my calculation earlier in this thread of 50% is approximately correct.

If anyone wants to analyze or examine the NameBio data for themselves, here is the link.
https://namebio.com/?s==gTNwUDMygTM

Last edited:
•••
It has been emphasized by @lolwarrior that in most cases ngTLD investors should concentrate on quality single word domains where the word matches the extension. This makes total sense, but just to see I decided to try to categorize the last month (99 sales) of ngTLD data (same as for previous post).

short (<=3) and/or acronym: 33
single word 40
two word 2
other 24

I suspect that a number of the other are really single word also, but if I did not understand the language of the word, or could not find it, I put it in this category. I also put a couple that seemed to me TM infringements in this category. The two obvious two word names are MilkyWay in space and RedStar in top, although as I said I think several others such as ZhongBang are two words. I may try to refine the analysis with the help of my Chinese speaking son in law, but it clearly shows that short and single word generally sells, as @lolwarrior told us.

I did not do the analysis by dollar value, but had I done that the short would have done better, as the reporting period included sales of qb and xt in .top for about $53,000 and $48,000, accounting for about 1/3 of the total dollar sales over the period.

Here is the dataset in case one of you want to check or improve the analysis.

•••
Rich, thank you for your kind words :)

As for your question, I think yes, definitely you should have 2 different sites if you have this ratio between new gTLDs and .coms in your portfolio.

I believe that if someone tries to sell new gTLDs from .com site, it instantly decrease his or her credibility. My first question as an end user would be: "Hey, but you operate from .com, why is that?" So one needs to lead by an example. Having nice site on new gTLD is therefore a very good idea imo.

What are your names you are considering to use for your marketplace (except DomainImagination / com)?
I thought you'd never ask, but I really didn't have a decent marketplace domain for my new gTLD's until now.
I really didn't own any Million Dollar Domains until now. Do you think this might attract some attention?

MillionDollar.Domains

•••
I don't know of a way to get out of NameBio the individual details for more than 100 sales in a category at a time, so I tried to answer your question using the most recent month's data. This resulted in 99 ngTLD sales totalling $320.3k so I could analyze each of them.

Of the 99 ngTLD sales in the period, 29% (29 out of 99) were registry sales. The often repeated statement that there are pretty well only registry sales, is simply not supported by evidence. Most of the main marketplaces that report had at least a few sales during the period - e.g. 13 of the sales were on Sedo.

Of the $320.3k in sales during the period, 53.5% ($171.2k) were registry sales. This was dominated by a couple of two letter top extension registry domain sales in the period, each for about $50,000. If you look at the top 10 sales in the reporting period, it is true that registry sales dominate, with 6 of the 10 sales being registry.

The figure is for a single month, but it, and similar analysis in the past, gives me confidence that the figure that I used in my calculation earlier in this thread of 50% is approximately correct.

If anyone wants to analyze or examine the NameBio data for themselves, here is the link.
@MetBob Thanks a lot, I love your analysis! They often tell us that "all new gTLD sales are registry sales anyway" and they you simply analyze namebio.com and you see : not all, but 29% of all new gTLD sales are registry sales! I think that is pretty large difference in hard numbers :)

Last edited:
•••
I thought you'd never ask, but I really didn't have a decent marketplace domain for my new gTLD's until now.
I really didn't own any Million Dollar Domains until now. Do you think this might attract some attention?

MillionDollar.Domains

Rich I think it is a pretty good one! It is definitely memorable, and it has clear intuitive meaning..everyone can easily understand what that means. I personally think you should go for it friend.

•••
I think that you must prove credibility before positioning yourself as a self-proclaimed expert in nGTLD's.

1) Most experts are not self-proclaimed. Normally they just get on with it, and people start talking about them. (Ali Zandi, Drew Rosener, Adam Strong, Jebediah Burnett etc.)

2) If you are a self-proclaimed expert in a certain niche, or domain investment in general, then you need to have the sales to back up that claim. (Mike Mann for example).

I love the time and effort you've put into this though, and you're certainly making some valid points.

By the way, there's no shame in not having many sales in new G's. Even many of the registries are struggling, so it would be exceptional for any individual investor to be killing it with new G's.

•••
If registries account for 50% of ngTLD sales revenue then the last 2 calendar years look like this:

Year

ngTLD registrations (% of all TLDs)

ngTLD non-registry aftermarket sales $ (% of all TLDs)

20167.8%2.0%
20176.2%2.2%

sources: Verisign Domain Name Industry Brief Archive & Namebio

Some view this as an opportunity while others see mobi deja vu.

FAQs

Q - But ecalc, this is fake news, you massaged the numbers to fit your agenda.
A - Massage is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

Q - Are you saying that I should spend more time on my thigh master instead of domaining?
A - No, you said that.

Last edited:
•••
Rich I think it is a pretty good one! It is definitely memorable, and it has clear intuitive meaning..everyone can easily understand what that means. I personally think you should go for it friend.
I didn't buy it to attract domainers....they're the last group I want to reach. However, non domainers and actual domainers are ALL interested in Million Dollar Domains like Sex.com and Vegas.com. Marketing101 tells me you need to first "dangle" the bait. Then when you get a nibble, you need to set the hook(y) I know this is all new to the old timers, but new vogue marketing is in my DNA:xf.grin:

•••
I think that you must prove credibility before positioning yourself as a self-proclaimed expert in nGTLD's.

1) Most experts are not self-proclaimed. Normally they just get on with it, and people start talking about them. (Ali Zandi, Drew Rosener, Adam Strong, Jebediah Burnett etc.)

2) If you are a self-proclaimed expert in a certain niche, or domain investment in general, then you need to have the sales to back up that claim. (Mike Mann for example).

I love the time and effort you've put into this though, and you're certainly making some valid points.

By the way, there's no shame in not having many sales in new G's. Even many of the registries are struggling, so it would be exceptional for any individual investor to be killing it with new G's.
Josh, I do not know what to say you back on this ... I think it is much more productive to discuss details/promotions/opportunities, then get into those personal notes. I know that it has some entertainment factor and people just love it, but basically it is pure waste of time for everyone. Just because I have passion for new gTLDs, and I want to to discuss them openly with people, I have been already called by someone here "seller of the snake oil" or now by you the "self-proclaimed expert"..

If you read my appraisal thread, you will admitt I am very critical of most acquisition people are making (and some people are therefore pretty rude to me), but I also try to justify exactly why I believe so.

I welcome any inteligent discussion based on numbers, probabilities & facts . I am not much interesting in name-dropping, personal attacks, personal stories, legendary .com domainers, industry titans, etc..
If someone informs me that there is interesting transfer promotion for .online, it has much larger value for me (and my bank account) comparing to reading that legendary domainer sold his LL.com name for 1,7 mil USD. Such information is not going to help anyone, except that domainer and few brokers who cooperate with him.

Btw, as was very nicely demonstrated by detailed analysis done by @MetBob , gTLDs in general are not struggling. As Bob showed, there are still 5 times less likely to sell in 2018 comparing to general pool of domain names (which is totally logical, some of them went to GA only this year), but WHEN they sell , they achieve 4 times higher price in average, comparing to general pool of the domain names.

What does that mean? It means, that high quality new gTLDs names are bringing much higher ROI then typical domains, particularly if you also understand that many of them can be kept with very low yearly costs. Also as was also demonstrated by Bob, it is als not true that only registries are making sales (the untrue story some domainers are repeating on this forum for ages) - it is clearly calculated that only 29% of reported sales in namebio are done by registries - so who is then doing the rest?
:)

•••
Josh, I do not know what to say you back on this ... I think it is much more productive to discuss details/promotions/opportunities, then get into those personal notes. I know that it has some entertainment factor and people just love it, but basically it is pure waste of time for everyone. Just because I have passion for new gTLDs, and I want to to discuss them openly with people, I have been already called by someone here "seller of the snake oil" or now by you the "self-proclaimed expert"..

If you read my appraisal thread, you will admitt I am very critical of most acquisition people are making (and some people are therefore pretty rude to me), but I also try to justify exactly why I believe so.

I welcome any inteligent discussion based on numbers, probabilities & facts . I am not much interesting in name-dropping, personal attacks, personal stories, legendary .com domainers, industry titans, etc..
If someone informs me that there is interesting transfer promotion for .online, it has much larger value for me (and my bank account) comparing to reading that legendary domainer sold his LL.com name for 1,7 mil USD. Such information is not going to help anyone, except that domainer and few brokers who cooperate with him.

Btw, as was very nicely demonstrated by detailed analysis done by @MetBob , gTLDs in general are not struggling. As Bob showed, there are still 5 times less likely to sell in 2018 comparing to general pool of domain names (which is totally logical, some of them went to GA only this year), but WHEN they sell , they achieve 4 times higher price in average, comparing to general pool of the domain names.

What does that mean? It means, that high quality new gTLDs names are bringing much higher ROI then typical domains, particularly if you also understand that many of them can be kept with very low yearly costs. Also as was also demonstrated by Bob, it is als not true that only registries are making sales (the untrue story some domainers are repeating on this forum for ages) - it is clearly calculated that only 29% of reported sales in namebio are done by registries - so who is then doing the rest?
:)
Just to be clear. I’m not criticizing you. Just my opinion on what has already been said in the thread.

•••
LOL I like your numbers - based analytical approach. Please keep in mind though that statistically speaking an average can be skewed by a few very large numbers so the median sale is probably more representative of the typical sale. Renewals are a high hurdle for .TV investors and thus the reason why I decided to drop a large portion of my holdings - nice keywords but $30 a year on an extension with low liquidity was painful. Ditto for many of the new extensions.

•••
If registries account for 50% of ngTLD sales revenue then the last 2 calendar years look like this:

Year

ngTLD registrations (% of all TLDs)

ngTLD non-registry aftermarket sales $ (% of all TLDs)

20167.8%2.0%
20176.2%2.2%

sources: Verisign Domain Name Industry Brief Archive & Namebio

Some view this as an opportunity while others see mobi deja vu.

Thank you very much for the numbers @ecalc! While for different years than the 2018 YTD I did earlier in the thread, I think they are pretty consistent order of magnitude. I found, when registry taken into account, about 40 % ngTLD return compared to all domain extensions. This would be 2.5 to.1 ratio, you find roughly 3:1 and 4:1. As noted, last 12 months have been better accounting for slightly better ratio.

I also agree that both opportunity and mobi deja vu are possible interpretations.

Thanks again!

•••
This is actually another mistake some of you guys continue to make. That you think these are direct competition to .coms. These names are names people settle for, the names people get when they can't get a .com. So they're direct competition not to .com but to alternatives to .com. .net, .info, .me., .us .any new gtld etc.

Whenever I see a site on somesite.(not.com), I'm thinking they couldn't get the .com, it's what they really want in the first place.

Which is why you have this:

Which is why you have threads like this on a daily basis:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dom-io-sold-for-7-500-besecure-be-for-5-824.1092868/

Typical day - Market Stats for July 26th, 2018

217 sales............
1 new gtld sale

Really take a look at that section.

Let me pick another random one:
Market Stats for July 24th, 2018
208 sales............
1 new gtld sale

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ta...-999-aeos-com-for-7-169.1092548/#post-6823069

So there is your reality. Right there in front of you, Daily Sales:
https://www.namepros.com/forums/daily-domain-sales.383/

So the #1 mistake was investing in them in the first place. Good luck nevertheless.

Another day:

gTLDs - 192
ccTLDs - 5
New gTLDs - 0

https://www.namepros.com/threads/chrishemsworth-com-sold-for-8-500-fidility-com-for-7-050.1093480/

Side note, I know some post at the other forum, the new gtld forum, what's happening with that? That seems to be dying as well. Looks like only 4 posts in the last week, some sections haven't been posted in for months.

•••
Another day:

gTLDs - 192
ccTLDs - 5
New gTLDs - 0

https://www.namepros.com/threads/chrishemsworth-com-sold-for-8-500-fidility-com-for-7-050.1093480/

Side note, I know some post at the other forum, the new gtld forum, what's happening with that? That seems to be dying as well. Looks like only 4 posts in the last week, some sections haven't been posted in for months.
So you picked up 1 day. Bob did statistics for whole period YTD 2018. Vice versa, I can pick one day when home / loans sold or when vacation / rentals sold and start to do some "magic" with numers in favour of new gTLDs. Everyone knows that the longer period we do statistic research over, the more valid are the results. Btw, I was myself pleasantly surprised how good the overal numbers for new gTLD are. And I was very happy to see that 29% number discussed in posts above, which totally destroys the myth about "only registries are selling new gTLD names". Seriously, I know it can be boring to go through all those numbers, but really, read it :)

•••
So you picked up 1 day. Bob did statistics for whole period YTD 2018. Vice versa, I can pick one day when home / loans sold or when vacation / rentals sold and start to do some "magic" with numers in favour of new gTLDs. Everyone knows that the longer period we do statistic research over, the more valid are the results. Btw, I was myself pleasantly surprised how good the overal numbers for new gTLD are. And I was very happy to see that 29% number discussed in posts above, which totally destroys the myth about "only registries are selling new gTLD names". Seriously, I know it can be boring to go through all those numbers, but really, read it :)

Actually, I picked a few days and linked to the forum that post sales everyday. It's usually 0 or 1. Then there was just a recent post showing the overall percentage compared to all new gtlds dropping. And then of course you admitting in the very first post:

"It is difficult for me not to notice that some new gTLD fellow investors are not doing well"

Or the new gtld forum dying out, where you used to go to get advice, now giving it.

Last edited:
•••
Actually, I picked a few days and linked to the forum that post sales everyday. It's usually 0 or 1.
Sure, but overal statistics YTD 2018 made by Bob and presented in this thread are pretty clear.
And they also include your 0 or 1 sale days :)

•••
Sure, but overal statistics YTD 2018 made by Bob and presented in this thread are pretty clear.
And they also include your 0 or 1 sale days :)

The one where half the $ were registry sales?

"Seriously, I know it can be boring to go through all those numbers, but really, read it"

I would love to read the numbers of somebody selling new gtld ebooks and appraisals, I'm just waiting for the day you stop using excuses to get out of it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back