Domain Empire

discuss .today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
All...I purchased the following domains today. These domains cost me $60, but I think I may be on to something because of the .today that acts as a .com. and who doesn't want to make a deal/sale today? It was when I realized that every day is today and these names might make great eCommerce sites for all sorts of industries. Aesthetically these names look pretty good. I'm a business guy first, a marketer second, and a domainer third. What might you do if your were me? Thanks

DomainDeals.today
AutoSale.today
FurnitureSale.today
RVSale.today
ComputerSale.today
ApplianceSale.today
HomeSale.today
TruckSale.today
PuppySale.today
TireSale.today
ToySale.today
TicketDeals.today
JewelrySale.today
ArtSale.today
BoatDeals.today
BoatSale.today
ComputerDeals.today
BigScreenDeals.today
TVDeals.today
ApplianceDeals.today
FurnitureDeals.today
HouseSales.today
SkyDeals.today
PhoneDeals.today
GourmetGifts.today
YachtSales.today
BikeSales.today
GiftSales.today
WineSales.today
BeerSales.today
CruiseDeals.today

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know all that dordomai....this is exactly why this industry is so F***ked Up. While I'm relatively new to your industry, I see it just as clearly as you...maybe more so:wacky:

why did you register worthless junk then?

•••
Just picked up 10 area code .today's. While some of the real good ones like 212.today for NY and 702.today for Vegas were gone, I was able to buy;

650.today for San Fran
504.today for N.O.
206.today for Seattle
407.today for Orlando
619.today for San Diego

Again, all available in .com.

You're forging ahead without even testing what you already have can work.

Like I asked before. How much would you sell 407.today to me? Knowing I can buy 407today.com right now for $8 and some change.

Knowing I'll never have this issue:

So far, most don't know what I'm talking about,/QUOTE]

That's not a good thing. For domainers trying to sell them or businesses trying to build on them.

Last edited:
•••
I looked through all the list I could not find any one word on it. I f I were you I would look for a good one word and register. When you are going with new extensions it is more better to reg one word only.
ie market.today, news.today, sales.today, today.today etc

Last edited:
•••
I have personally sold two .today: Tenerife .today and Hostels .today.

Personally, I would not register (or keep) a two-word .today, but best of luck with your names.

•••
Everyone likes to read a success story ..Bare in mind your on to well over a $1,000 in renewal costs in 365 days time. So best to get busy on your first and second skill set before domain registering takes over

Not quite...I own 66 of them for a total investment of $132. My fee for renewal for all 66 will be around $500, and that's if I don't sell any or buy any more. I do believe domains like MarijuanaDeals.today will sell. If I can't sell this for at least $200 to a pothead, then all my business and marketing training is for naught. My plans are to create a website for DomainDeals.today to sell this kind of domain. Also, targeted email marketing like Daymond John of Shark Tank fame recommends is part of the plan.

Bulloney:xf.grin:

•••
All...I purchased the following domains today. These domains cost me $60, but I think I may be on to something because of the .today that acts as a .com. and who doesn't want to make a deal/sale today? It was when I realized that every day is today and these names might make great eCommerce sites for all sorts of industries. Aesthetically these names look pretty good. I'm a business guy first, a marketer second, and a domainer third. What might you do if your were me? Thanks

DomainDeals.today
AutoSale.today
FurnitureSale.today
RVSale.today
ComputerSale.today
ApplianceSale.today
HomeSale.today
TruckSale.today
PuppySale.today
TireSale.today
ToySale.today
TicketDeals.today
JewelrySale.today
ArtSale.today
BoatDeals.today
BoatSale.today
ComputerDeals.today
BigScreenDeals.today
TVDeals.today
ApplianceDeals.today
FurnitureDeals.today
HouseSales.today
SkyDeals.today
PhoneDeals.today
GourmetGifts.today
YachtSales.today
BikeSales.today
GiftSales.today
WineSales.today
BeerSales.today
CruiseDeals.today

@Fancy.domains is right.

A) News.today is a perfect match (y)
B) Business.today is a great match (y)
C) Chicago.today is an ok match (y)
D) Potatoes.today is a bad match

For 2-word domain: cryptocurrency.today is fine. There might be exceptions like this but mostly stick with exact match domains with new gTLDs.

•••
After I showed an interested buyer that act.today sold for 20K 02/19/2017, and showed them their website, I'd just ask them to make an offer. Seems to me, a boat dealer like Tiara or Sea Ray (I've owned both) might make an offer of no more than 20K and no less than 1K. Remember, I own BoatDeals.today as well.

So $1,000 - $20,000 for BoatSale.today or........... $8 something for BoatSaleToday.com

And you would tell them the .today is a better deal because......?

•••
JB...it's pretty clear you don't like me, so I need not humor you with an answer. Have a nice life.

I think it was a pretty valid question JBLions Just picked out an example registration and asked how you would promote it above the three word .com (which is available to register) I don't see any malice. it's certainly a question any perspective buyer is going to be asking themselves in any approach you make
.If you haven't fully developed your outbound or static sales arguments/persuaders as yet - just say so.

Many of us with 10/20 plus years in domains don't like to see any domainer shoot themselves in the foot, Hence the many advisory threads on all sorts of subjects. You've made a decent effort to convince some of us that your from a bonafide Business background, but somethings just don't seem to jell with your apparent lack of any sort of Business plan in going forward (apart from some sort of developed/static sales page)

Last edited:
•••
•••
My final point is whereas Sea Ray (the largest boat builder in the world) might pay 500K for YachtSales.com, Wellcraft (the 9th largest boat builder) might pay 100K for YachtSales.today (why?, because YachtSales.com is sold/gone) Does any of this make sense to you?

It doesn't make sense because:
http://www.searay.com/

http://www.wellcraft.com/

They already have domains.

It doesn't make sense because .today aren't selling well.

Registering losewght.today, also doesn't make sense. You just bought a 2 word, misspelling, in a new gtld.

"YachtSale.today is simply a lead/sales generator that directs customers to the Wellcraft (the brand)...do you know any thing about sales or lead generation?"

They don't need that to do that, they can direct straight to the site. Maybe more for lead generator/affiliate type stuff for others to link to them. But they aren't going to pay 100k.

Last edited:
•••
Refinance.com must be getting some type-in traffic, as such it has built-in value and must be bringing in qualified leads on a daily basis. Not to mention its branding and advertising potential. You don't get those benefits in an oddball TLD. Re-Finance.today doesn't have the same kind of credibility and memorability.
You are really overdoing it with misspellings. Nobody will visit your names unless you advertise them heavily. But then any other domain would do the trick as fine. I doubt you will get around to developing and monetizing all these names by the time they come up for renewal.

•••

you mean Beer.Life, Beer.Club, Beer.World?
They're all pretty good, but can't beat FreeBeer.today or FreePizza.today.

Thanks for sharing

No, I'm talking about domains of the same quality as my domains...

New.Life
Sex.Life
Game.Life
Food.World
Water.World
Adventure.World

etc, etc... I have more than 100 similar domains ...

I don't consider Beer,Life domain a very good domain... I got it just for $1,99
...as well as Beer,Today is a low quality domain.

I have Cash.Today - this is a high quality domain.

I got Crypto.Life also for $1,99 just a few months ago... and already received several offers for sale it,
the largest - $5000

Last edited:
•••
water for life (non-profit) is also a protected trademark

•••
Here we go again, some newbie listed their name for 100K (will never sell for that much if at all), and someone believes a non-dotcom variation of that name could be worth a fraction of the asking price. Well no. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
At this point buying lottery tickets is a better proposition - you should at least get some cash back.

•••
Thanks for the links Bob...while I haven't compared yet, I see where sold.domains recorded just 15 sales, nameBio 18 sales, and dnpric 34 sales. Between the three of them I guess there have been about 40 sales?

On another note, I just picked up the following;

healthydining.today
healthychoice.today
medicaltransportation.today
medicaltransport.today

funny, Godaddy and Epic are asking 150K plus for each of my medical transportation names, and over 50K for the healthy dining name. Asking prices like this from so called respectable companies should work in my favor. Also, part of my plan is to accept payments over time, with a balloon payment at the end.....makes for good cash flow. Thanks again Bob for sharing.

one thing that you will learn soon is that asking prices do not mean much, a lot of domainers know even less about valuation than you do, believe it or not.

Also if something is listed at GD or EPIK it could be from a third party feed its not always them.

Another thing is that asking prices do not matter, published sale prices do.

gold.blog costs 100k a year for example but that does not mean goldblog.com is worth 5 million or that blog.gold is worth 50k a year.

So unless these things sold and there werent an anomaly you can not value your names with that method.

if you want to value a name, first understand what properties make it valuable (e.g length, keyword, search volume,l extension etc.)

then look up related sales on namebio and ask yourself if they were an anomaly or not. once you get an idea of what the average sales price could be, divide the price by the probability of the domain actually selling. (A lot of names never sell in the real world for the price you want to sell them) then you get an idea of the real value of your name.

for example if you see the average 1 word .today name selling for 2k you can guess that the average 2 word .today name will sell for much less.

then keep in mind that you see only domains that sold you do not know how many domains did not sell.

Last edited:
•••
Re-Finance.today. Neither of these names are meant to be businesses or brands. However, they are meant to be sales/lead generators to anyone in the lending business who see's the value I see in them. So are they as good as BoatLoans.com or Refinance.com? No, but those two domains aren't available, and even if they were, they'd be 100

You might want to study the drop lists instead of constantly defending every decision you share about a new purchase. 50-100k .com, .net and .org names expire daily. I spend hours on these lists and many of the dropped names would be better than using these new failing and confusing Gtlds. Look at Spamhaus and see how the low price promotions create a spike in demand of a new extension and all the spammers and phishing websites congregate under them, so you wind up with a nice house in a ghetto so to speak.

I say this with goodfaith, constructive criticism and intent. I have read over and over various threads you post comments where people here try to steer you into thinking and opening up your mind, and most of those people are genuinelycreatively trying to help. Take a look at websites in those categories also. Try out kwfinder and discover how difficult it is to rank a website in those segments- loans and refinance, insurance, legal, etc. If you cannot rank, there will never be leads generated.

The .com dedicated button on both Android and Apple devices is there for a reason.

I admire your enthusiasm, and perhaps I am incorrect. Prove those of us wrong who have given you feedback and rank organically BoatLoans.Today. I am all ears to see how you might do that without PPC campaigns. Enjoy the Holidays.

•••
As most of you know, GoDaddy's appraisals are the biggest joke in the domain industry (any industry) You know it and I know it, but the average business person on the street isn't aware of it. Here's my point, I purchased three Gtld's this morning, and here is what I paid for them and what GoDaddy appraises them for:

My Name My Price .today GoDaddy's .com Appraisal

NextPlay.today, My price1.99, GoDaddy's .com appraisal $7,871

SlamDunk.today, My price 1.99, Go Daddy's .com appraisal $10,027

FashionShow.today, My price 1.99, Go Daddy's .com appraisal $19,594

Totals: My price 5.97, Go Daddy's .com appraisal $37,492

When selling my domains to retail, I plan on using GoDaddy's appraisal to my advantage. Anyone else do the same? Note, I also plan on telling my buyers that although GoDaddy may be the biggest player in our industry, their appraisals may be a slight bit high (tongue in cheek) What say you?

I would rather pay $10K for SlamDunk.com than $1.99 for SlamDunk.today.

You are just wasting more money every day.

Brad

•••
Been reading a few of @Bulloney 's threads since getting back here. The one thing I can say for sure is that if tenacity counts then he will probably be successful. I remember my dad making fun of me and the expression on his face when I became his boss. The one drive in life I had was to show him what I could do and that I was better than him. I don't think I would have been who I am today if my dad had not been such a brute (kindest word I could think of).

@Bulloney may be inexperienced at domaining but I would never underestimate drive and determination.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading all the bantering back and fourth.

•••
Ok having been inspired by @Bulloney enthusiasm for .today, and looking up that there have been some good .today sales, I decided to buy my first ever (and only as of now) .today:
Tweets.today

Hopefully someone will want it - see it as especially useful with redirects/subdomains to make things like
funny.tweets.today
inspirational.tweets.today
science.tweets.today
etc.

•••
So now we are in the Tweets.today competition! haha! I have not been on here much for a couple weeks, and had not noticed you had moved to Simpli/Simplii etc. Interesting that I had considered those in some extensions, but never registered any, as unsure whether Simplii Financial had trademarks that would create issues. Best of luck with all your portfolio @Bulloney!

Bob...I just got you confused with poster Priide aka MapleDots who chimed in when I started the Simpli prefix fad. He's from Canada as well, but I think Ontario? It seems that a lot of you guys are from Canada, even Ategy who's doing his best to try and turn me into a "domainer":xf.frown: Is it that cold in Canada that domaining is part of your DNA? BaileyUK said all you guys mean well, and I agree. Between .today and the Simpli prefix, I beileve we have a Weiner, but without smart marketing all we'll have is a big Wooser.

Thanks again.

•••
LOL! You mean if you extend them to 3 word domains ending with today .com. I'd already checked, there were no two word .com domains available, unless they're for sale like ApplianceSale.com for $14,000. I own ApplianceSale.today:xf.grin: I paid 1.99 for it, but if you want to pick up AplianceSaleToday.com have at it. I wasn't born yesterday. I think you missed the point?
I'm glad you didn't waste too much money on these reggae. When I started out, like you, I made these mistakes -- only with .xyz and .us and the DomFam 1.99 to 2.99 sales. Which is great, cuz I didn't lose too much there in that respect.

So that's a lot of domains for $60, which is good. If you can get $20 back, then you're lucky. If you can't turn an end user by mass spamming the fk out of Google, then a Flippa bulk auction would be a great bet. It's only $8 more and someone would no doubt bid at least $1 (who knows maybe not?)

I mean besides their awkward phrasing, they also don't make sense.

Let's look at PuppySale.today. If you do research, you'll learn that the ASPCA and other rights groups are opposing selling dogs in pet stores for multiple reasons. So in America, dogs are usually adopted or bought at breeders. It's negative lighting if you're a pet store that sells puppies. I think it's because they're kept in cages the whole day -- and dogs are one of those pets you can't keep in cages.

So right then and there, you're limiting your options to third world countries where the ASPCA doesn't have too much influence. They also eat dogs in some Asian countries.

Your other domains also might not make sense. DomainDeals.Today would mean that your end user options are so limited to people who want to make a site on domain coupons/deals -- the spammy kind. How many people really want to make that kind of site? Do you know why you're limited to that? Because you're looking for DOMAIN DEALS TODAY, not Domain Deals -- it has to be today :P.

So that forces the owner to make a site that continuously updates his content for daily deals -- so yeah some kind of coupon revenue / affiliate site that loads too slow because they're putting malware and tracking on ur PC or maybe mining XMR on the down low. Pretty sure they're not going to want to pay you more than XX.

The rest of your domains are all "sales today". . . so they're all the same deal. They're just daily deals site end users.

I saw the .today extension, and I honestly wasn't thinking "daily deals" when I first came across it. I was looking at the extension as a great way to get a one-word keyword news site. Like Luxury.Today or Wellness.Today or something like that. Today is a popular keyword for newspapers/magazines.

Anyway, good luck and if the domains can still be refunded -- DO IT!

•••
What might you do if your were me? Thanks

I will put these names in front of prayer table and pray God to send some end buyer to buy these domain names!

Don't know if you were humorous or serious but it made me laugh :xf.smile:

•••
I couldn't imagine you sitting still for a moment Rich. But, reading you registered "makethingshappen.com' back in 2001 What has reignited this recent 'I'm back-in, game plan'

Even 'Live' and 'Today' extensions have been around a while. Your clearly an intelligent and coherent guy. Is it you were looking for a focus and revisited the domain market after a long absence. I'm just curious ??

No problem Bailey...I've been an entrepreneur all my life from the time I started my first business while in college in 1970 up to today where I'm still involved in several other ventures, National1099 (a home based specialty tax business I've owned since 1987), "FirstCarMemories.com", a brand a few partners and I are bringing to fruition (see pic of my first car), SavingMinds.org (a non profit for early onset Alzheimers victims and their caregivers), and finally this domain gig that was purely accidental when I was reg. domains for brands I was developing just a year ago.

That said, I've either partnered with, started, bought, sold and named over 20 businesses in my lifetime. Most all the names, I've been told, are pretty good. You might say I'm a natural at it. So back to the MakeSomethingHappen.com domain I reg. in 2001. I had my first, and a major business failure of my life in 2001 with a company I owned and started called ContactUSA. I was 53 yeas old at the time, and I just about lost everything, but when the dust settled I'd paid the Bank 750K, but had my home and my wife left. Because of my business background and experience I started a little consulting business called MSH Consulting...thus "MakeSomethingHappen.com" Since that time I've named and started another half dozen businesses including the ones I'm working today. As you can plainly see, I'm not the typical domainer, but I'm a pretty good business starter, and an even better namer. That's my story Bailey. I don't sleep much, but I luv people (like meeting you), I luv life, and I luv this name game:xf.grin:

Rich
aka
Bulloney

Attachments

• VW Bug Convertible 1960 (2).jpg
    VW Bug Convertible 1960 (2).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 129
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back