Domain Empire

discuss .today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
All...I purchased the following domains today. These domains cost me $60, but I think I may be on to something because of the .today that acts as a .com. and who doesn't want to make a deal/sale today? It was when I realized that every day is today and these names might make great eCommerce sites for all sorts of industries. Aesthetically these names look pretty good. I'm a business guy first, a marketer second, and a domainer third. What might you do if your were me? Thanks

DomainDeals.today
AutoSale.today
FurnitureSale.today
RVSale.today
ComputerSale.today
ApplianceSale.today
HomeSale.today
TruckSale.today
PuppySale.today
TireSale.today
ToySale.today
TicketDeals.today
JewelrySale.today
ArtSale.today
BoatDeals.today
BoatSale.today
ComputerDeals.today
BigScreenDeals.today
TVDeals.today
ApplianceDeals.today
FurnitureDeals.today
HouseSales.today
SkyDeals.today
PhoneDeals.today
GourmetGifts.today
YachtSales.today
BikeSales.today
GiftSales.today
WineSales.today
BeerSales.today
CruiseDeals.today

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In the off chance you are not familiar with it, the following two sites have sales figures as well (the second is just getting going in beta). I find that there are values that are on the first of these that don't show up in NameBio for some reason, and also they do not have the $100 limit so there are some small figure sales.

http://dnpric.es/ [if you just type in e.g. .today it will show the sales]
http://sold.domains/

Yes, GoValue, even in beta, being now fully available is a big help. Also of course Estibot is widely used, and they give one per day without paying for a subscription.

Best of luck .today and every (TLD) day!

Bob

Thanks for the links Bob...while I haven't compared yet, I see where sold.domains recorded just 15 sales, nameBio 18 sales, and dnpric 34 sales. Between the three of them I guess there have been about 40 sales?

On another note, I just picked up the following;

healthydining.today
healthychoice.today
medicaltransportation.today
medicaltransport.today

funny, Godaddy and Epic are asking 150K plus for each of my medical transportation names, and over 50K for the healthy dining name. Asking prices like this from so called respectable companies should work in my favor. Also, part of my plan is to accept payments over time, with a balloon payment at the end.....makes for good cash flow. Thanks again Bob for sharing.

Bulloney:xf.grin:

•••
one thing that you will learn soon is that asking prices do not mean much, a lot of domainers know even less about valuation than you do, believe it or not.

Also if something is listed at GD or EPIK it could be from a third party feed its not always them.

Another thing is that asking prices do not matter, published sale prices do.

gold.blog costs 100k a year for example but that does not mean goldblog.com is worth 5 million or that blog.gold is worth 50k a year.

So unless these things sold and there werent an anomaly you can not value your names with that method.

if you want to value a name, first understand what properties make it valuable (e.g length, keyword, search volume,l extension etc.)

then look up related sales on namebio and ask yourself if they were an anomaly or not. once you get an idea of what the average sales price could be, divide the price by the probability of the domain actually selling. (A lot of names never sell in the real world for the price you want to sell them) then you get an idea of the real value of your name.

I know all that dordomai....this is exactly why this industry is so F***ked Up. While I'm relatively new to your industry, I see it just as clearly as you...maybe more so:wacky:

•••
why did you register worthless junk then?

"why did you register worthless junk then?"

because, "One Man's Trash is another Man's Treasure" you probably don't understand the concept:xf.grin:

•••
As most of you know, GoDaddy's appraisals are the biggest joke in the domain industry (any industry) You know it and I know it, but the average business person on the street isn't aware of it. Here's my point, I purchased three Gtld's this morning, and here is what I paid for them and what GoDaddy appraises them for:

My Name My Price .today GoDaddy's .com Appraisal

NextPlay.today, My price1.99, GoDaddy's .com appraisal $7,871

SlamDunk.today, My price 1.99, Go Daddy's .com appraisal $10,027

FashionShow.today, My price 1.99, Go Daddy's .com appraisal $19,594

Totals: My price 5.97, Go Daddy's .com appraisal $37,492

When selling my domains to retail, I plan on using GoDaddy's appraisal to my advantage. Anyone else do the same? Note, I also plan on telling my buyers that although GoDaddy may be the biggest player in our industry, their appraisals may be a slight bit high (tongue in cheek) What say you?

Bulloney:xf.grin:

•••
Just picked up 10 area code .today's. While some of the real good ones like 212.today for NY and 702.today for Vegas were gone, I was able to buy;

650.today for San Fran
504.today for N.O.
206.today for Seattle
407.today for Orlando
619.today for San Diego

•••
I would rather pay $10K for SlamDunk.com than $1.99 for SlamDunk.today.

You are just wasting more money every day.

Brad

Sure Brad...while SlamDunk101 teaches about upside potential via risk vs. reward, it also teaches about downside risk proving that if you lose 50% of your $10K, I'll just lose a buck. And speaking of a "buck", a friend of mine Macon Brock, one of the founders of Dollar Tree passed away last week. Macon wrote one of the best business books I ever read called "One Buck at a Time" I'd highly recommend you read it!

Bulloney

•••
Been reading a few of @Bulloney 's threads since getting back here. The one thing I can say for sure is that if tenacity counts then he will probably be successful. I remember my dad making fun of me and the expression on his face when I became his boss. The one drive in life I had was to show him what I could do and that I was better than him. I don't think I would have been who I am today if my dad had not been such a brute (kindest word I could think of).

@Bulloney may be inexperienced at domaining but I would never underestimate drive and determination.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading all the bantering back and fourth.

MapleDots...thanks for your thoughts. I wish you had a better relationship with your Dad, but it sounds like it all worked out. I intend to see humor in most everything, and with your Dad being a Brute, that would make you an S.O.B. or a Son Of a Brute. Don't feel bad though, I'm an S.O.B. like you in that I'm the Son Of a Buckeye (my Dad graduated from Ohio State in 1942).

Enjoy the Holidays as though you're the Son Of Blessed....you may note I own the domain Son Of Blessed.com along with about 30 other S.O.B. domains.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...Cheers!

Bulloney

•••
You have to understand that these New gTLDs are not all that popular & hence try your best to remain close to L.today.

That is because "today" in itself is counted as 1 word, which is usually not the case with .com (since they are popular by default)

For example, I have Rate.Loans which would be considered as two words, in the mind of buyer.

•••
I think the extension itself is okay but it's still very new, thanks to some avoiding it I got one and I will see how it does it's an LLLL and I have the .com TVUP , I wonder what that will be.... lol.

I agree with what you say, but I think there's way to much emphasis on any domain being "short". Take for example a domain that I've owned since 09/01/2001 "MakeSomethingHappen".com. Someone has owned MSH.com since 1994, which would have been the the first letter of each word in my domain. While my domain name is too long compared to most, it spells a message. As for my .today domains, I own plenty that have 3 and 4 letters, but with a descriptive call to action noun like "Sale" or "Deal" attached. For example;

BoatSale.today
ToyDeals.today
BeerSale.today
WineSale.today
HomeSale.today

Stand alone the words Boat, Toy, Beer, Wine, Home mean little to nothing, but when you add a descriptive identifier, it means something. I know what wine is, but if I were to see WineSale.today I'd be more likely to click on it to see where it's on sale and for how much. Make sense? And to think, these domains are selling for 1.99:xf.grin: Thanks

Bulloney

•••
I'm glad you didn't waste too much money on these reggae. When I started out, like you, I made these mistakes -- only with .xyz and .us and the DomFam 1.99 to 2.99 sales. Which is great, cuz I didn't lose too much there in that respect.

So that's a lot of domains for $60, which is good. If you can get $20 back, then you're lucky. If you can't turn an end user by mass spamming the fk out of Google, then a Flippa bulk auction would be a great bet. It's only $8 more and someone would no doubt bid at least $1 (who knows maybe not?)

I mean besides their awkward phrasing, they also don't make sense.

Let's look at PuppySale.today. If you do research, you'll learn that the ASPCA and other rights groups are opposing selling dogs in pet stores for multiple reasons. So in America, dogs are usually adopted or bought at breeders. It's negative lighting if you're a pet store that sells puppies. I think it's because they're kept in cages the whole day -- and dogs are one of those pets you can't keep in cages.

So right then and there, you're limiting your options to third world countries where the ASPCA doesn't have too much influence. They also eat dogs in some Asian countries.

Your other domains also might not make sense. DomainDeals.Today would mean that your end user options are so limited to people who want to make a site on domain coupons/deals -- the spammy kind. How many people really want to make that kind of site? Do you know why you're limited to that? Because you're looking for DOMAIN DEALS TODAY, not Domain Deals -- it has to be today :P.

So that forces the owner to make a site that continuously updates his content for daily deals -- so yeah some kind of coupon revenue / affiliate site that loads too slow because they're putting malware and tracking on ur PC or maybe mining XMR on the down low. Pretty sure they're not going to want to pay you more than XX.

The rest of your domains are all "sales today". . . so they're all the same deal. They're just daily deals site end users.

I saw the .today extension, and I honestly wasn't thinking "daily deals" when I first came across it. I was looking at the extension as a great way to get a one-word keyword news site. Like Luxury.Today or Wellness.Today or something like that. Today is a popular keyword for newspapers/magazines.

Anyway, good luck and if the domains can still be refunded -- DO IT!

To the "average" bear/bull, what you said might make sense, but you don't know me:xf.grin: I just this second picked up StockTips.Today for 1.99, and I can assure you I won't be wasting my time marketing my domains via Google or Flippa or any other similar tool. I'm not hoping and praying buyers will find me for the very same reason your efforts failed. As a business guy first, a marketeer second, and a domainer a distant third, I've been developing a business model that targets business lawyers, and trade associations of businesses and entire industries they represent. While what I'll be doing is SimpliCommonSense, I'd suggest you read The Power of Broke by Daymond John of FUBU and Shark Tank fame.

Hey, I own well over 100 .today domains, and most of the end users aka decision makers aren't even aware this extension exists. Appraisals for StockTips.com range from $11,000 to $169,000, and if you don't have a clue how to use that stat to sell your $1.99 .today domains, then like I said, you don't know me:xf.grin:

Bulloney

•••
I couldn't imagine you sitting still for a moment Rich. But, reading you registered "makethingshappen.com' back in 2001 What has reignited this recent 'I'm back-in, game plan'

Even 'Live' and 'Today' extensions have been around a while. Your clearly an intelligent and coherent guy. Is it you were looking for a focus and revisited the domain market after a long absence. I'm just curious ??

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thank you!

You might be right that some of this will attract a buyer. If you (or anyone else sell two-word names), please let us know. We all need to update our knowledge and domaining is slowly but constantly changing.

My advice was based on my own experience and reported sale statistics, but I'm not sitting here with all answers.
Jens...it's been about 45 days since we last chatted, but a lot has happened in the last six weeks. I've been burning the candle at both ends, but somehow I've added another 350-400 domains to my portfolio. While 75 to 80% of them have been .today domains, I've added about 100 other extensions and the occasional .com (maybe 20). I've met someone who is helping and pushing me to develop my site DomainImagination.com with Efty, but because I've been tied up with a home based specialty tax business I've owned since 1987, I haven't had the time I'd like to dedicate to my domain marketing plan.

What I'd like to share with you has to do with the industry diversification of my portfolio. By that I mean,
domains germane to the real estate industry, the finance and insurance industry, the consumer retail industry, the healthcare industry, and a little of the Sports and Entertainment industries. My intentions are to take my domains directly to end users and decision makers of each of these industries. Probably the one industry I'm most familiar with is the healthcare industry having been in the medical billing business for almost 25 years, and having friends, peers and family who have needed to access healthcare most of their lives. Thus, to give you an example I've reg'd the following names in the last 48 hours;

HeartSmart.today
HeartFit.today
HeartFitness.today
HeartTherapy.today
ChiropracticRX.com
ChiropracticFix.today
Adjustments.today
KneeFix.today
BackFix.today
HipFix.today
KneeTreatment.today
KneeTherapy.today
KneeFitness.today
HipFit.today
HipTreatment.today
HipTherapy.today
BackFit.today
BackFitness.today
BackTherapy.today
BackAdjustments.today
MedicalCures.today
HealthCures.today

Jens, between the heart, the hip, the knee and the back, there are no less than 250,000 docs practicing, and they're generating hundreds of Billions of dollars annually. It's part of my plan to partner with medical reps who have access to these docs and their clinics etc. to introduce my healthcare domains.today.
btw, I also own DomainDeals.today that I may use in conjunction with DomainRevolution.com Thanks Jens, and I hope you have a fantastic 2018!

Bulloney

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back