Dynadot

Time to end .tv, .mobi and .us subforums

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should the .tv, .mobi and .us subforums be ended

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    40.4%
  • No

votes
    59.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Pommy - The DN Doc

Domain Name DoctorEstablished Member
Impact
All credit to those who have great domain names that end in .tv, .us or .mobi BUT why the subforum?

There are now extensions for every ending and its dog so why single out just three?

Lets have a vote...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
Looks like I've really summarised the popular view then... ;)

•••
I can see the OP's point. If .us has its own subforum, why not .me .co.uk, .in and other successful cctlds.

•••
.us should be removed.

.tel shouldn't be added.

•••
It would REALLY bother me to have the TV subforum taken away.
I have recently frequented the US subforum, I may go back n forth there...
.mobi - I dont think I will ever have any interest in.

Based on me liking 1-1/2 of those 3 Forums,
I vote No.

•••
i voted no, i also feel that the most active extension should have their own subforums, so add away ... i could see say 9 or 12 little logo links on the main page. this is, afterall, a domain name forum.

•••
Definitely voted no. Makes the forum more organized and topics targeted.

•••
Survey says...."Baannnttt!!" X

•••
Either we remove all TLD subforums or create a subforum for every major global, regional and ccTLD.

If .tv, .mobi & .us. Then why not a .info, .biz, .asia, .eu, .co.uk?

I vote for adding more subforums to make NamePros more organized. This way it will be easier to focus on your personal favorite TLD without the noise.

This goes for the Marketplace as well. Sure we have a ccTLDs for sale but let's make it more organized and tidy. This has a huge advantage for both buyer and seller since the sales forums will be more focused and with less posts competing for attention. Thus increasing the odds that buyer and seller will meet and deals be made :sold:

•••
Voted for NO.

I think there are hundreds of extensions and its not possible creating subforums for each of them..

.tv, .mobi and .us stands on top of them... imo

-jd

•••
Fka200 said:
Makes the forum more organized and topics targeted.

Righto, the main reason for NOT ending them ... is to maintain order and efficiencies in the larger #1 Domain Discussions™ Forum, IMHO. :gl:

That being said, it is definitely past the time to END the exclusivity of three TLD sub-forums (.tv / .us / .mobi) ... and there should be new, revised sub-forums (all with similar size text (not logos) within the larger Discussions™ area) for 8 - 10+/- TLD's (either alphabetically or based on general release dates), in my view. :talk:

Rules should be consistent, discussions should remain open, and moderation, if needed, should focus on those threads (and users) that serve only to hype and misleadingly pump up by respective enthusiasts - especially in light of any actual substance or truly noteworthy/newsworthy developments! :guilty: :yell: :imho:

Enjoy the BBQ's! :music:
-Jeff B-)

PS. In this context, I voted "YES" in the poll! :yell:

Last edited:
•••
I think there should be a separate forum rather than sub-forum for special TLDs like these. Perhaps I should have asked a different question...

•••
Pommy - The DN Doc said:
I think there should be a forum rather than sub-forum for special TLDs like these. Perhaps I should have asked a different question...

Yes, I think your poll may be skewed ... I actually think a "NO" vote means yes, and a "YES" vote means no, based on your original question:
There are now extensions for every ending and its dog so why single out just three?

In other words, in fairness ... we should NO LONGER single out just three! :yell: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
I voted no. I like the dot us forum :)

•••
Jeff said:
Yes, I think your poll may be skewed ... I actually think a "NO" vote means yes, and a "YES" vote means no, based on your original question:

In other words, in fairness ... we should NO LONGER single out just three! :yell: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

A more skilled poll writer could set up a new poll and I would be happy enough (if I could) to withdraw this one... :tu:

•••
Pommy - The DN Doc said:
Jeff said:

-Jeff B-)

A more skilled poll writer could set up a new poll and I would be happy enough (if I could) to withdraw this one... :tu:

No worries, with continued input here I'm sure it'll all get resolved and perhaps even integrated with the new #1 Namepros Forum updates ... I think the key point here is fairness amongst potential sub-forums for discussion purposes; unfortunately, in my view, the history with having three "exclusive" - which has been reinforced with top placement and being highlighted - TLD sub-forums has led to a sense of entitlement and that somehow they were formed only to discuss the 'positives' of the extension(s) (even if there was evidence and experienced opinion to the contrary), IMHO. :gl:
Nothing about our #1 Namepros has ever been about exclusivity ... so in this sense of fairness, it is my opinion that these sub-forums should be expanded to include a wide range of TLD's in same, smaller text format within the larger Domains Discussions™ Forum and all be treated equally and with a renewed sense of openness, sharing of opinions, and, perhaps most importantly, balance! :talk: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
I believe these forums are requested by those that want them, correct? This would be the reason why there are only certain forums for certain extensions. I don't buy the "fairness" argument, because we're talking about domain extensions, not people. It's not about what's fair, it's about what's used.

•••
I vote NO!!

The .tv forum is the largest forum of it's kind on the intenet bar none! I and many others spend 95% of their time on the .tv forum.

It is unique, one of the best run, relaxed and friendly forums I have ever been a part of. On many occassions I have seen 50-80 members and visitors on the .tv forum.

There is a genuine interest in this ext beyond the confines of NP's but this is the #1 place for information. Believe me, there is a lot of info that you need or want to know about .tv's that would be diluted or impossible to find if the forum was disbanded.

•••
CrazyTech said:
I believe these forums are requested by those that want them, correct?

In part, correct ... historically though, it also had very much to do with keeping things orderly and efficient (ie., centralized and less cluttered) in the larger general Domain Discussions™ Forum, in my experience. :gl:

This would be the reason why there are only certain forums for certain extensions. I don't buy the "fairness" argument, because we're talking about domain extensions, not people. It's not about what's fair, it's about what's used.

Again, historically, one could look at it that the more active (and, thus more cluttering) of the TLD's discussions got their own sub-forums ... to maintain order in the general area - as things evolve and time passes, in fairness to other new and newer TLD's and those who may wish to participate (for example, .ASIA, .ME, .TEL as well as those new gTLD's that are coming) - ALL should be categorized as smaller sub-forum text links in equal alphabetical order rather than any having preferred placement or logos, IMHO.

To be clear, I would like to keep separate sub-forums ... but I would like to see removing of prominient placement for three; .TV, .MOBI, and .US - and expand and make all of them the same in appearance and access on the #1 Namepros home page! :yell:

-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
No point changing anything,

everything works just fine the way it is.

•••
:hi:

I believe, in the context if this posted poll, a "Yes" vote would include the following new homepage layout (potentially): :gl: :imho:

General Domain Name Discussion™:
-->> Specific TLD Discussions©:
-->> -->> alphabetized TLD sub-forum link

-Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back