discuss Thoughts on partial sales reports

NameSilo
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

Just had my first big sale in my domaining journey! Wanted to share it with everyone here on NP :)

It was a domain I had purchased for $15 when I was waiting at the bar at some birthday party.
The funny part is that it was a typo... and I hadn't realized that until I clicked purchase and checked out on Godaddy. So I told the bartender to make my drink a double since I had just wasted $15 for a bad domain.

But... after further research, it turns out that multiple companies are using the exact same name (very minor variations) so I naturally got excited and listed it on Godaddy as make an offer.

Got my first offer for $20 and thought this is all it could be worth... but I decided to counter with $2000.

A couple of hours later, the $1000 offer comes in :)

And that's how I made my first $1000!

Thank you to everyone here on NP for the advice and the unlimited well of knowledge. I will keep learning from minds like you and hopefully make more sales $!

:)

Though I love reading domain sales no matter what the amount is but this is yet another waste of time thread by not sharing the domain and wasting time of others. No doubts you didn't had sale but not sharing the name is useless to share any other detail IMO.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What are we supposed to discuss when you haven't disclosed the name?

Completely agree!

Another nonsensical thread. Waste of time.
There should be some rule in place to report the domain, else don't bother reporting. I would be interested to know from such people to give just one logical reason behind sharing the amount and niche which will be really helpful. Suppose if this OP says niche, then who doesn't know IOT? Is this something really no one was aware of?

This is not only waste of time but making people not to bother checking such sales thread in future if such trend keeps on going.

I request MODS/Admin(s) of NamePros to make some necessary changes to rules. Or at least start a poll to see what others are looking for.

•••
When I post my sales on NP, I give every possible detail I can. If the buyer does not want me to disclose the name, then I do not report the sale.

The point of the sales thread is to build a database of sales for the sake of transparency and education for others. While it’s nice to get the appreciation from peers for a sale, people shouldn’t be posting half-reported sales or making brand new threads for sales unless they are truly special. NP is a professional forum for domainers, not Facebook or twitter swimming for likes and upvotes.

IMO

•••
Exactly. I think those fellow domainers who do not want to share the domain name do not want their buyer's email full of spammy domains from 'wanna be's' (no offense intended). And we as NPers should respect that.

As far as learning something from the sale, there are other things we can learn. Knowing the actual domain name helps but it is not the only factor to learn. We could learn about the category of the domain and then we can make similar investment plans for our domain portfolio, we could learn about the platform where the domains were sold, we could learn how the deal was negotiated and how the seller responded, and etc.. However, like other members have said, mentioning sold domains always helps a lot.

We as a community expect real sales threads from members here. We should not only respect their information but should also appreciate them for sharing their sales.

Lastly, I do not think such threads are by any means a waste of time. In fact we can all learn something from the details shared by the sellers in such threads. Any tiny detail could help newbies and/or pros. However, it depends on a person-to-person basis as what they are looking to learn and what they are looking to "dig" into (there's a difference). And if someone just wants to know about the sold domain name so that they can send sales email to the buyer with their domains, then I am sorry, that is not what I would consider as a 'learning point', and is not ethical at all.

Sharing useful things with the community is nice, but respecting buyers' profile is also crucial.

Just my two cents.

I have to disagree, no one benefits by something that may or may not be true, the name and context matter.

While I thanked the poster and congrats, there is nothing to learn from the original post.

I agree 100% with what @AbdulBasit.com said and have been writing about it for years.

The line about people emailing the buyer is a weak one imo, does it happen sure is that big of a deal? No the buyer paid $1,000 there are plenty of big money buyers for these spammers to go after just by reading Namebio daily.

Like Michael Castello said.

Michael Anthony Castello says

January 23, 2018 at 2:54 pm

This is exactly the reason I posted the story of my Whisky.com sale on dnjournal back in 2014. I put the Escrow document in the article showing the names and email addresses of those involved. Transparency is key. People are investing their hard earned money and need to know the truth in order to make sound business decisions. Be careful of manipulators.

http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2014/february.htm

https://www.strategicrevenue.com/ju...-domain-stories-in-history-show-me-the-money/

Either you believe in transparency or you don't and many will just tune out those they feel don't believe in transparency.

Again IMO

Last edited:
•••
It's good no one is giving some $ or BTC in exchange of NP likes, else there would definitely be many fake sales around like this one. That too of 6 figures :xf.laugh:

The more amount of sale is shared, the more $/BTC is given :-P
Agreed. Many 'PRO' & Regular Domain sellers on NP have disclosed names without any issues when they reported it. That's how you make a legal claim.

If you have NDA in your sale, don't open a thread. Simple.
If you can't provide full / complete info, don't bother opening a thread. Simple.

Last edited:
•••
Or at least share the 'category/niche' of the domain.

I honestly don't consider that would be helpful either unless the name is shared.

•••
IMO, sharing the name is more important than sharing the exact amount.

isoldwhatevername.com for mid x,xxx - useful
************vername.com for 5,000 - useless

•••
Like I said, it depends on a person-to-person basis, whoever wants to learn (or dig) whatever they see meaningful (or useful for themselves).

Just because a bunch of fellow domainers (who are in minority as I see) does not find such threads useful should not mean that the posted threads are false. HINT! Check how many 'Likes' such threads receive including this one, and then compare it with the number who dislike such threads.

The majority of members here are appreciative and understand (as well as respect) when the seller does not share the name, but you will find only 'few'; and I really mean ONLY FEW members who do not like to see such threads (without seeing the sold domain names). I don't know why, do you?

To take your point regarding "benefiting from such threads", if I only see my own benefit, I would be selfish, no! The way I see it, it would be beneficial for all of us if we appreciate such threads where sellers are finding time for sharing details of their sales. That would not only motivate them but would also build their trust within the community.

The way I do business, it IS a big deal for me. Transparency and privacy; both are important but compromising the privacy of the buyer is not something us domainers should practice just for the sake of giving few members an opportunity to see the domain name and enabling spammers to spam the buyer for weeks.

If you can only elaborate the BOLD one above, I will agree with you on 'disagreeing'.

Whether it be few or many, just do the poll and you'll know what most actually wanted to see. If most or all sales go unreported, then there won't be anything to see at Dnjournal, NameBio or any other place and most importantly no current market update/values be set. That would be very poor for overall domain business.

Also I could go on and create plenty of fake sale threads time to time by saying I made bla bla sale for 4 and 5 figures and even mention whatever niche. Now tell me what benefit you'll gain out of it without knowing the name?

If someone cares too much for privacy, then it's better not to waste their and most importantly others time but of course this will keep on going unless there are some strict rules put in place.

•••
What is there to discuss? He sold an IOT related domain name for $30,000. Good news all round. It also makes sense not to disclose the buyer on a public forum. Nothing wrong with that.

And what are we discussing exactly when we don’t know the IOT name? He started a “discuss” thread with no info to discuss. If there is an NDA he shouldn’t be talking about it at all. These pat me on the back but I am not disclosing the name threads are occurring every other day here. No info? Keep it to yourself. It offers nothing to the community.

Last edited:
•••
The thing is it just doesn't help anyone in any way IMO.

I disagree with that

It provides inspiration and made my morning. I very much enjoyed reading about @HiSmart 's success.
I am truly happy for him and hope he ignores any negative remarks.

Would I have liked more proof?.... not really, he provided enough.

Would I have liked to know the domain?.... sure but again he provided enough information.

9 letter .com ending in elot.com

Share the love, bask in the glow, be happy for another domainer, one day it could be you (y)

Last edited:
•••

•••
I like these posts, disclosure or not. If it pisses you off so much, you could, you know, decide to ignore them.

That is what i do with threads that don't interest me. I just don't read them. It's kind of a crazy concept, but i just don't read them, and i don't complain about them.

You shouldn’t concern yourself with my opinion then. The majority of people here want info and actual sold names and not someone merely looking for pats on the back.

•••
I disagree with that

It provides inspiration and made my morning. I very much enjoyed reading about @HiSmart 's success.
I am truly happy for him and hope he ignores any negative remarks.

Would I have liked more proof?.... not really, he provided enough.

Would I have liked to know the domain?.... sure but again he provided enough information.

9 letter .com ending in elot.com

Share the love, bask in the glow, be happy for another domainer, one day it could be you (y)

I respect your opinion.

Do you really think I'm not liking the sale happened or got jealous? Or didn't I believe the sale did not happened?

Well, that's not the point fellow domainers are talking about.

One should share it completely and make it at least somewhat helpful for others. Simply IOT niche doesn't help in any way.

Think the other way and you'll understand my point of view of critisizing the OP.

•••
so, are you saying that any sale requires FULL DISCLOSURE before being reported?

I don't think so.

Exactly! That should be must. Else this forum would've plenty of spamming with no seriousness. Again, that doesn't mean OP didn't had the sale.

Also you've no right to use abusive language used in some of your previous replies and must be respectful to others.

•••
Let the man have his moment whether it's real or imagined:xf.smile: as i see it there are ton's of recorded sales to do a thesis:xf.grin:

Exactly. I think those fellow domainers who do not want to share the domain name do not want their buyer's email full of spammy domains from 'wanna be's' (no offense intended). And we as NPers should respect that.

As far as learning something from the sale, there are other things we can learn. Knowing the actual domain name helps but it is not the only factor to learn. We could learn about the category of the domain and then we can make similar investment plans for our domain portfolio, we could learn about the platform where the domains were sold, we could learn how the deal was negotiated and how the seller responded, and etc.. However, like other members have said, mentioning sold domains always helps a lot.

We as a community expect real sales threads from members here. We should not only respect their information but should also appreciate them for sharing their sales.

Lastly, I do not think such threads are by any means a waste of time. In fact we can all learn something from the details shared by the sellers in such threads. Any tiny detail could help newbies and/or pros. However, it depends on a person-to-person basis as what they are looking to learn and what they are looking to "dig" into (there's a difference). And if someone just wants to know about the sold domain name so that they can send sales email to the buyer with their domains, then I am sorry, that is not what I would consider as a 'learning point', and is not ethical at all.

Sharing useful things with the community is nice, but respecting buyers' profile is also crucial.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
•••
If some of the folks trying to create such threads to grab attention, beware of the number of dislikes you get....not a good start.....Keep your discussions open to be genuine, if you think it falls into NDA better dont discuss here...Discussions here are mostly very open and detailed, if there is an ongoing sale they would atleast reveal sooner.....Trending for wrong reasons is not going to help you....

•••
Perhaps there is a non-disclosure agreement. I could see this on such a large purchase.

While I somewhat agree with what abdul is saying, we shouldn't shun everyone who reports large sales. There would be much less reported acquisitions otherwise.

I feel the OP here has provided enough proof that the sale actually happened. Why badger him for reporting? Is someone butt-hurt?

It's not about asking proof or no one is blaming the sale is fake. The thing is it just doesn't help anyone in any way IMO.

•••
I agree, totally useless thread.

*****IOT.com (9 letters)

9 letters? Maybe it was YOURIDIOT.com or PUSSYRIOT.com or something like that. Internet of Things in a way, why not.

•••
Waste of time...
I blame also the guys who cheer this threads

•••
Main issue here is transparency.

Industry veterans and amateurs alike have seen their fair share of scams, and have every right to want to protect the integrity of the information shared here by demanding full disclosure.

I guess if it's not verifiable, it didn't happen -- I agree, and anything else is really just spam until it's confirmed, as it's damaging to the industry if not it's not 100% truthful
reporting.

Last edited:
•••
Not relevant without the name..

•••
The line about people emailing the buyer is a weak one imo, does it happen sure is that big of a deal? No the buyer paid $1,000 there are plenty of big money buyers for these spammers to go after just by reading Namebio daily.

Like I said, it depends on a person-to-person basis, whoever wants to learn (or dig) whatever they see meaningful (or useful for themselves).

Just because a bunch of fellow domainers (who are in minority as I see) does not find such threads useful should not mean that the posted threads are false. HINT! Check how many 'Likes' such threads receive including this one, and then compare it with the number who dislike such threads.

The majority of members here are appreciative and understand (as well as respect) when the seller does not share the name, but you will find only 'few'; and I really mean ONLY FEW members who do not like to see such threads (without seeing the sold domain names). I don't know why, do you?

To take your point regarding "benefiting from such threads", if I only see my own benefit, I would be selfish, no! The way I see it, it would be beneficial for all of us if we appreciate such threads where sellers are finding time for sharing details of their sales. That would not only motivate them but would also build their trust within the community.

The way I do business, it IS a big deal for me. Transparency and privacy; both are important but compromising the privacy of the buyer is not something us domainers should practice just for the sake of giving few members an opportunity to see the domain name and enabling spammers to spam the buyer for weeks.

If you can only elaborate the BOLD one above, I will agree with you on 'disagreeing'.

•••
Do not report your new gTLD sales on NamePros!

e.g.: sold new gtld domain to a .com owner.

New gTLD haters list:
Dave,
ramkumaritrvs,
Daniel Owens,
Harrington,
DefinitelyDomains,
pinkdragon,
maxtra,
Coinking

Show attachment 85539
I do not recommend to deal with them..

So feel free to post your new gTLD hater here.
Pretty sure most of the dislikes on that thread are for the poor post content - i.e. no domain name, no price. Literally zilch information. Like several commenters have stated on that thread, the thread and the post is a waste of time with no information to back it up. I could claim I sold a .horse for a million dollars and not provide any info. What purpose will that serve except to gain me ridicule?

•••

I get where you are coming from James, but I think the likes come from we are glad to see someone make a sale. I liked the post, even though I agree with those who feel the value is in understanding the whole deal and knowing the name.

Many people don't dislike a post where the name is not mentioned but they do think it's meaningless, like someone texted me last night after reading the back and forth on this thread, "Hey Raymond if I don't have to list the name, I might just start posting two "anonymous" sales a week, just for shits and giggles."

I think if someone like Michael Castello is providing escrow docs, someone can mention a $1,000 sale. Again IMO.

•••
What is there to discuss? He sold an IOT related domain name for $30,000. Good news all round. It also makes sense not to disclose the buyer on a public forum. Nothing wrong with that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back