discuss Thoughts on partial sales reports

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello everyone,

Just had my first big sale in my domaining journey! Wanted to share it with everyone here on NP :)

It was a domain I had purchased for $15 when I was waiting at the bar at some birthday party.
The funny part is that it was a typo... and I hadn't realized that until I clicked purchase and checked out on Godaddy. So I told the bartender to make my drink a double since I had just wasted $15 for a bad domain.

But... after further research, it turns out that multiple companies are using the exact same name (very minor variations) so I naturally got excited and listed it on Godaddy as make an offer.

Got my first offer for $20 and thought this is all it could be worth... but I decided to counter with $2000.

A couple of hours later, the $1000 offer comes in :)

And that's how I made my first $1000!

Thank you to everyone here on NP for the advice and the unlimited well of knowledge. I will keep learning from minds like you and hopefully make more sales $!

:)

Though I love reading domain sales no matter what the amount is but this is yet another waste of time thread by not sharing the domain and wasting time of others. No doubts you didn't had sale but not sharing the name is useless to share any other detail IMO.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
WwlrlvR_700wa_0.gif

Meh.. another one..

Wonder when the staff will make a rule about including 'domain name' in sales report threads.
@Amanda @Eric Lyon

•••
he didn't have to share EVERYTHING. the op shared what was important. Stop crying about it.

He shared the niche. It's IOT.

Why do you think FULL DISCLOSURE is relevant?

I can create multiple fake thread of sales and mention amount + niche excluding domain name. Now tell me what you'll gain from it?

•••
I don't think this is fake.

I Think that you are mad bc it is not your sale.

I never said or have any doubts of this sale being fake. I would've trusted in same manner if the OP didn't have posted the snapshot. The point I'm saying is it doesn't benefit anyone in any way. Like I said I can go on and start threads no matter real or fake in similar fashion, but in that case, I personally think that wouldn't be helpful to others.

Helping others and creating/considering doubts are two completely different things which you must differ first to understand my point of view.

•••
Wonder when the staff will make a rule about including 'domain name' in sales report threads.
You read my thoughts. Maybe there should be a separate section for incomplete sales and mystery obfuscated names, for anyone wanting to reap some easy likes.

Last edited:
•••
IMO, sharing the name is more important than sharing the exact amount.

isoldwhatevername.com for mid x,xxx - useful
************vername.com for 5,000 - useless

Absolutely!

•••
Wish we could take some action against folks indulging in 'cheap gimmicks'. It wastes time of the serious domainers.

•••
2,000 usd my first sale in Undeveloped

this is my first timer in the newly developed undeveloped domain list for 10 months
then with 8.49 USD capital and 2,000 usd sold

The....com (7 letters)
I understand being happy about selling the name and wanting to share, but not providing the actual details of the name kinda of goes against the whole notion of reporting completed domain sales.

Saying that you sold The.....com doesn't really make your sale public, in fact it's pretty much a private sale, it's like a real estate agent telling another agent the first 3 letters of the address of a house they just closed and telling them to guess what house it is......who on earth would be able to discern that?

Anyways, congrats on the sale but for future reference if you're going to report a sale, make sure you reveal the full domain name..otherwise you aren't really sharing anything at all.

•••
@Eric Lyon & @Amanda should really look into these incomplete time-waster threads. It's about time some genuine sales get reported and people learn and applaud. Not fake / incomplete ones (n)

•••
I disagree with you on this bro. We should learn to respect people's right to disclose or not to disclose sales. Sharing this news will let people know that IOT names are still selling and selling well because it is one of the most rarely talked about niche on here at the moment.

I would bet that many IOT names have been selling but sellers are not reporting in order to keep the news to themselves and if this OP can come out and let us know IOT name sold, as opposed to those who have kept their tracks hidden, I feel he deserves to be commended. At least he showed prove of escrow wherein others just come in here and make blank reportage of names to which they still don't show prove that it sold.

Another reason might be he just want to prevent people from bombarding the buyer with the hope of selling more IOT names to him, considering the niche and you know how this evolve in an industry like this when you disclose a buyer and a domain name you sold.

Sincerely, let him be as long as he showed prove that a name actually was paid for via escrow, I see no problem.

You need to check this - https://www.namepros.com/posts/6683878

Even if the niche is IOT, weren't you aware of IOT earlier? How can that be helpful to you?
If OP is so caring about the buyer of getting bombarded with email from different sellers, still it doesn't make sense to publish incomplete post.

•••
When I post my sales on NP, I give every possible detail I can. If the buyer does not want me to disclose the name, then I do not report the sale.

NP is a professional forum for domainers, not Facebook or twitter swimming for likes and upvotes.

IMO

Totally agree!

•••
Crypto domain .co sold @ Afternic BIN 500 USD

Love afternic :) had been trying SEDO for a while, afterNic worked great
another thread without any info :banghead::banghead::banghead:

i should stop reading namepros discussion threads nowadays :hurting::muted: >:(>:(

•••
Though I love reading domain sales no matter what the amount is but this is yet another waste of time thread by not sharing the domain and wasting time of others. No doubts you didn't had sale but not sharing the name is useless to share any other detail IMO.

Or at least share the 'category/niche' of the domain.

•••
Let the man have his moment whether it's real or imagined:xf.smile: as i see it there are ton's of recorded sales to do a thesis:xf.grin:

•••
•••
•••
•••
So is this where our thoughts on sale threads without a name have been exiled to? After that last debacle I hope it becomes clear why those kind of threads should be discouraged. Too easy to lie with partial info.

•••
Next time wait til you actually reveal the name. No one gains any benefit to a sale thread with no name given. We want info not just to pat someone on the back. Did not need it’s own thread whatever it is given no information. We have a report your sale thread in case you aren’t aware.

Last edited:
•••
And what are we discussing exactly when we don’t know the IOT name? He started a “discuss” thread with no info to discuss. If there is an NDA he shouldn’t be talking about it at all. These pat me on the back but I am not disclosing the name threads are occurring every other day here. No info? Keep it to yourself. It offers nothing to the community.
I like these posts, disclosure or not. If it pisses you off so much, you could, you know, decide to ignore them.

That is what i do with threads that don't interest me. I just don't read them. It's kind of a crazy concept, but i just don't read them, and i don't complain about them.

•••
Why is it that when someone posts an incredible sale (see Hatred.com) , there will be people on here who would rather complain than celebrate? I have a few IOT related domains and it benefits me to know what kind of prices they could fetch within this niche. It's the posters thread and he can add or withhold whichever information he chooses. Move on if you don't like it.

Last edited:
•••
he didn't have to share EVERYTHING. the op shared what was important. Stop crying about it.

He shared the niche. It's IOT.

Why do you think FULL DISCLOSURE is relevant?

•••
Mark me down as being fully in agreement with @AbdulBasit.com here. Report all the details of a sale, or report nothing.

The recent "prank" about a $30,000 sale in the IOT niche shows exactly why there should be zero tolerance for giving partial information in a sales thread (https://www.namepros.com/threads/30-000-sold-iot-com-9-letters.1077712/page-3#post-6684152). Scams like this force us to question every single sales report that doesn't include a full name.

Some have argued that members who disagree with partial sales reports should just ignore those threads, but I strongly disagree with this stance. I have no problem ignoring opinion posts that I disagree with, but in this case we're talking about posts that contain incomplete or misrepresented facts. We can't ignore that, and there should be absolutely zero tolerance for it. Allowing partially reported sales undermines the credibility of the forum; it wastes the time of all who click on the threads in an attempt to learn; and it misleads newer members who don't know any better than to believe the hype.

I find it particularly frustrating when I personally go to the effort of reporting all details of my sales, with additional anecdotes included, in order to help give back to a community that has taught me a lot. We all take so much from NP. Is it really that difficult to give back?

@Support Team - Is this discussion being reviewed and analyzed? Is there a chance that a final decision on this issue will be made at some point?

•••
When I announce a sale, I don't give the name. I give hints to the name, but I don't give the name. I have my own reasons for this. (No, I don't make large sales, either. Mine are in the $XXX.) I only post in the niche forum that I sell, also. I don't post in the Reported Sales forum.

I do give other info, such as method of sale, first contact, price, name, keyword in the domain, payment method, etc. I find that info useful, as well. I actually find that info more useful when reading about a sale rather than the domain name.

If you don't like that I don't give the name, that's fine. I don't care. I'm too old and don't care about the snowflakes in today's society.

Edit: OK, if reporting in the actual thread for Sales, then yes, I'd be ok with the rule being that a domain must be named. I only post within the niche I sell and choose not to report within the sales thread.

There's absolutely value in those things, but without knowing the name, it's limited. And they can be talked about in a general sense without putting them in the context of a sale that you're unwilling to share with other members.

It's like you're telling us about this amazing meal you cooked, and everyone you make it for loves it. You tell us what style of food it is, the kind of pan you cook it on, what kind of knife you use for chopping, what kind of oven you have, how long it took to prepare the meal, and where you bought all the ingredients... And after all that build-up, I ask you, "Man, that sounds amazing! What's the recipe??".... And then you say you can't tell me.

You know? Like, all the information about your process is great, but if I don't have something specific to apply it to, then I'm ultimately just using it to make educated guesses about how to improve my own skills.

I don't know... maybe there's a place for partial reporting. At the very least, if it's going to continue to be allowed, I think the rules need to tighten up so that only trusted members such as yourself can do it.

•••
I think more here dislike when a name is not revealed. If you have no pertinent info to disclose regarding a sale you are posting for no other reason than to puff yourself up as it adds nothing to the community’s knowledge.

Look at me I sold a domain but I won’t tell you what is is rings a little hollow and desperate for attention.

•••
*****IOT.com (9 letters)

Internet of Things

TB2AFKKnY1YBuNjSszeXXablFXa_!!419690142.png
Perhaps there is a non-disclosure agreement. I could see this on such a large purchase.

While I somewhat agree with what abdul is saying, we shouldn't shun everyone who reports large sales. There would be much less reported acquisitions otherwise.

I feel the OP here has provided enough proof that the sale actually happened. Why badger him for reporting? Is someone butt-hurt?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back