NameSilo

strategy This is how I price my hand-registered domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is how I price my hand-registered domain names

Some people ask how I manage to sell so many hand-registered domain names. Before I answer that question, it would be convenient to answer this one: How many hand-registered names do I sell per every ten names I register? Generally, I sell between three and four names out of ten within the first two weeks of registration, but result vary depending on the month and hours dedicated to end-user search. So, if I buy ten names, about three of those will sell within two weeks. Some may sell later. Some others will never sell.

Everything considered, the business is consistently profitable, because hand-registration is not that expensive. The two key factors are registering the right names and pricing them correctly. As my sales report indicate, I focus on low value geo names or names that refer to a specific product or service within a given city, state or region. After doing this for some time, I have now a clear idea of which keywords sell quickly and which don’t, as well as which cities might mean hot sales.

My focus on this post is not keywords, but pricing. This is a pattern I have seen often enough in domain investors who attempt to sell hand-registered names. A domain investor registers a few decent names (ex. MiamiGoldBuyer.com, PhoenixDoors.com, etc.) and then contacts potential buyers attempting to sell each name for $1,500. He receives either a negative response or no response at all and then the domain investor arrives at the conclusion that this doesn’t work.

Have in mind that in my perspective the two names listed above are decent in the sense that you can easily flip them for a few hundred dollars. Forget keyword search, forget age, and forget CPC. Those rules do not apply to this particular game. The fact is that both MiamiGoldBuyer.com and PhoenixDoors.com have a list of small business owners who would like to own them. That is all that matters.

But, going back to prices. The key to flipping hand-registered geo names quickly is to price them in a way that it would be hard for end-users to reject. In other words, to speak the language of small business owners when it comes to pricing. Let me illustrate it this way. Now that I am also into numeric names, if you try to sell 76888.com to me for $5000, there is no way I could buy that name from you. However, if you ask for $100, that is an offer I can’t reject. So, I will buy it immediately.

The point is that when it comes to pricing, there is a melting point. You have to present the hand-registered names at a price that becomes hard to reject in the eye of end-users. You must find the balance between profit and expedited sales. In my opinion, for the two examples I gave (MiamiGoldBuyer.com and PhoenixDoors.com), the balanced and appropriate price tag is $250-$500.

Again, this is if you really want sales to happen. If you plan to sit on the names and ask for $1500, that is fine. But I doubt you will sell them before renewing them for a few years. And, most certainly, they will never sell. So the question is $400 now or $1500 never.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Never tried to reach your prospects via phone calls?
Especially the ones that showed Interest. You surely will able to speed up the negotiations.

By email I also say that they can buy the domain simply going on Godaddy Or afternic (or what else) and buy it from there. They probably trust more those sites than a guy appeared from the blue.
Obviously marketplace have fees so the domain cost more there. If they want a discount, they can choose to buy directly from you

•••
Especially the ones that showed Interest. You surely will able to speed up the negotiations.

By email I also say that they can buy the domain simply going on Godaddy Or afternic (or what else) and buy it from there. They probably trust more those sites than a guy appeared from the blue.
Obviously marketplace have fees so the domain cost more there. If they want a discount, they can choose to buy directly from you
Well have registered 5 geo domains.

2 of my first registrations got sold within 3 days of registering. 2 of them have A person interested for each but they haven't replied.

•••
[QUO"Insha010, post: 5065319, member: 981870"]Well have registered 5 geo domains.

2 of my first registrations got sold within 3 days of registering. 2 of them have A person interested for each but they haven't replied.[/QUOTE]
Can you share more more details about niche, geo, or mail approach?
Thanks

•••
Oh man, I know how you guys feel! It's so damn frustrating!

Okay, so I have one person who is very interested and wants to complete the sale right now. This is for a domain I just sent emails out about last night.

Do you think it would be unethical of me to send an email out to the others who never responded saying I have a buyer at $280 (which is true) and will complete the sale today with him unless I receive a higher offer?

In my initial email I said the domain is available to the first person interested at $280.

•••

Okay, so I have one person who is very interested and wants to complete the sale right now. This is for a domain I just sent emails out about last night.

Do you think it would be unethical of me to send an email out to the others who never responded saying I have a buyer at $280 (which is true) and will complete the sale today with him unless I receive a higher offer?

In my initial email I said the domain is available to the first person interested at $280.

Congrats.

The answer is right there my friend. SELL IT AND GRAB $$$ from that guy who is interested, while you still can.

•••

Phone is always scary for me. lol Having someone yell at me or be all sarcastic via email is tough enough. BUT... I have picked up the phone and called the interested people the other day. Didn't reach anyone. Left voicemails.

•••
[QUO"Insha010, post: 5065319, member: 981870"]Well have registered 5 geo domains.

2 of my first registrations got sold within 3 days of registering. 2 of them have A person interested for each but they haven't replied.
Thanks[/QUOTE]
dog service, good luck.

email approach is simple and short.I include that it is concise, memorable etc and don't mention the price.

•••

if you have more than 2 people interested, you can ask for a higher price like 320$.

•••
Thanks
dog service, good luck.

email approach is simple and short.I include that it is concise, memorable etc and don't mention the price.[/QUOTE]

Nice. What price did you get for them?

•••
dog service, good luck.

email approach is simple and short.I include that it is concise, memorable etc and don't mention the price.

Nice. What price did you get for them?[/QUOTE]

320$ and 280$ , the 320 one got accepted readily so I should have priced it higher( only 1 person was interested for each).

•••
Nice. What price did you get for them?

320$ and 280$ , the 320 one got accepted readily so I should have priced it higher( only 1 person was interested for each).[/QUOTE]
lol I always think that as well. I ask for a certain figure and they say "YES!" so I kick myself for not asking higher. But at the same time, who knows.. if I did ask higher I may have never heard from them again.

Most people who are in geo domaining say they have much better luck if they include the price in the initial email. Good to see you were still able to sell them even though you never had a price in there. I think the reasoning is that many people will just assume the domain is way out of their price range if they don't see a price mentioned.

•••
320$ and 280$ , the 320 one got accepted readily so I should have priced it higher( only 1 person was interested for each).
lol I always think that as well. I ask for a certain figure and they say "YES!" so I kick myself for not asking higher. But at the same time, who knows.. if I did ask higher I may have never heard from them again.

Most people who are in geo domaining say they have much better luck if they include the price in the initial email. Good to see you were still able to sell them even though you never had a price in there. I think the reasoning is that many people will just assume the domain is way out of their price range if they don't see a price mentioned.[/QUOTE]
haha, from now on I will mention the price of domain which i want to sell below 500$ , what do you think a city+realtor.com will get sold for ?

•••

Most people who are in geo domaining say they have much better luck if they include the price in the initial email. Good to see you were still able to sell them even though you never had a price in there. I think the reasoning is that many people will just assume the domain is way out of their price range if they don't see a price mentioned.
haha, from now on I will mention the price of domain which i want to sell below 500$ , what do you think a city+realtor.com will get sold for ?[/QUOTE]

With that name, it depends on the size of the city and whether or not housing is going for a decent price. If it's something like Detroit where you can buy a house for $1, maybe not worth the time. lol

But in general, I'd shoot for $500 for a quick sale.

•••
Have you guys ever had someone ask how do I switch my website name for this new name?

It's a little complicated to switch the entire contents of an existing website to a new domain name so not too sure what to say. You need to copy all the contents via FTP and paste into the new name, then copy down the SQL database info and paste into the new site etc..

•••
haha, from now on I will mention the price of domain which i want to sell below 500$ , what do you think a city+realtor.com will get sold for ?

With that name, it depends on the size of the city and whether or not housing is going for a decent price. If it's something like Detroit where you can buy a house for $1, maybe not worth the time. lol

But in general, I'd shoot for $500 for a quick sale.[/QUOTE]
Philadelphia, , 1$? what did I miss :)?

•••
Have you guys ever had someone ask how do I switch my website name for this new name?

It's a little complicated to switch the entire contents of an existing website to a new domain name so not too sure what to say. You need to copy all the contents via FTP and paste into the new name, then copy down the SQL database info and paste into the new site etc..
they can forward the domain to their existing website?

•••

But in general, I'd shoot for $500 for a quick sale.
Philadelphia, , 1$? what did I miss :)?[/QUOTE]

lol I remember reading a couple articles a couple years back about being able to buy a house in Detroit for less than $100

•••
they can forward the domain to their existing website?

Yes, it's easy to redirect/forward a new domain to an existing site but some people don't want to keep their existing name at all. They just want to start using the new name and only that.

•••
Yes, it's easy to redirect/forward a new domain to an existing site but some people don't want to keep their existing name at all. They just want to start using the new name and only that.
oh , I have no knowledge of that.

•••
•••
Just this week, I have been outreaching to potential buyers for three of my geo domains. The categories of my domains are:

1. Gift Basket niche
2. Cab Rental niche
3. Boat Rental niche

All domains are geo+service/product dot coms.

How many adword advertisers did you have for each of the domains ? It may explain why you got so few replies.

•••
How many adword advertisers did you have for each of the domains ? It may explain why you got so few replies.

For the boat rental and gift basket, I am sure there were around 10 advertisers. Haven't worked on the cab renting domain so far.

•••
Can you guys critique my sales letter for geo domains?

---
email subject: example.com: the most memorable name for local [business niche]
---
Hello. I'm [name], the owner of example.com, I saw your contacts in [City] [niche business] list and I'd like to know if you're interested in obtaining the domain name.

What it can do for you:
- It says you're the [niche business] in the area.
- It's way easier to memorize than the most of web addresses [niche business] have, thus more potential customers will remember your web address if they see your company's ads somewhere or if somebody refers them to you.
- It gets you better ranking in search engines – the domain has the desired keywords in the right sequence.
This domain name is a one-time investment that brings you more business endlessly.
To use the domain, you won't have to make any changes to your existing website, a simple redirect script can lead visitors to your current website if they go to example.com, you'll have both web addresses working, I'll help you with that. If you don't have a website, this unique domain is a great start to building one!
I offer it for a down to earth price of [price].
Thank you for your time! Let me know what you think about this offer. Also, I'll be happy to answer any of your questions regarding the domain.
---

Last edited:
•••

---
Hello. I'm [name], the owner of example.com, I saw your contacts in [City] [niche business] list and I'd like to know if you're interested in obtaining the domain name.

What it can do for you:
- It's way easier to memorize than the most of web addresses [niche business] have, thus more potential customers will remember your web address if they see your company's ads somewhere or if somebody refers them to you.
- It gets you better ranking in search engines – the domain has the desired keywords in the right sequence.
This domain name is a one-time investment that brings you more business endlessly.
To use the domain, you won't have to make any changes to your existing website, a simple redirect script can lead visitors to your current website if they go to example.com, you'll have both web addresses working, I'll help you with that. If you don't have a website, this unique domain is a great start to building one!
Thank you for your time! Let me know what you think about this offer. Also, I'll be happy to answer any of your questions regarding the domain.
---

One word, TOO LONG (sorry, these are two words, lol).

Suggestion: Keep the "What it can do for you" part for the next email for buyers who show interest in the domain but ask questions.

Not only your email is long but it may distract buyers as well. Besides, I have learned from NP members that it's best to keep unsolicited emails short to increase their chances of getting read by the potential buyer(s).

I used to do the same long emails when I started but I read a thread here in which majority of members suggested to keep the email short, to the point, of two paragraphs, and less than 100 words.

Thread link: https://www.namepros.com/threads/en...nd-email-templates.853589/page-2#post-4831583

Check the post from Tomcarl

Hope it helps.

•••

---
email subject: example.com: the most memorable name for local [business niche]
---

What it can do for you:
---
Not sure if I'd go with that subject line. I mostly just use the domain name itself.

Subject: Seattle Plumber

Other than that, I agree with @WebInvestments

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back