Dynadot

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is what really was starting to infuriate me. The lack of any acknowledgment started making me wonder if it wasn't even considered a real issue to them.
The 'lack of any acknowledgment' is not based on the 'criticallity of the issue'.
First of all, do they have a 'mechanism/tool/software' in place to send any acknowledgement?
It seems, no, as you didn't get any acknowledgement.

Bodis uses ReAmaze - a help-desk/support system - which automatically sends chat responses via email and email replies to chat. It's 100% perfect system that you can always check and reply to a ticket in either email or online.

Since, GoDaddy has acquired 'ReAmaze', Afternic doesn't need to search for such a tool!
They can right way add it to Afternic and start addressing the issues reported by THE 'real domain owners'.

Attached Bodis' support system. I really like it.

Attachments

• Bodis-support-uses-GoDaddy-GD-brand-ReAmaze.jpg
    Bodis-support-uses-GoDaddy-GD-brand-ReAmaze.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 38
•••
So has Dan actually mandated verification at this point? There was talk about using NS3 for verification purposes. Would the txt verification be better, if they haven't added this yet?

No, it's not mandatory. Maybe some day. You do get a third nameserver assigned or can use a txt record. If the domain is already listed it will move from the old listing to your account automatically when you list your domain.

They actively scan (the root zones I suppose) for the usage of the third dns server as it will also automatically add domains to your account that use it, without you manually listing them.

Last edited:
•••
Why not use a TXT verification process just like Sedo? shouldn't be hard

•••
I have privacy off. If there is ever a question, I can refer them to lookup.icann.org. Sadly, for Dan, they still insisted upon having a screenshot in the last case of the fake listing. Previously, though, they had accepted my insisting that ownership could be easily proved with the privacy off.

Truly, I am very saddened to hear that you are having such great difficulty. And truly, I hope Afternic implements stringent verification methods to prevent this in the future.
All I've ever needed for DAN was to have the txt file with my account code and then they auto deleted the other listing and added mine automatically with no intervention. It has worked like that every single time. It works the same way with SEDO. When i prep my names for listing, I add the txt files first, list at AN, Sedo, DAN in that order. Then after the domains are listed in a few minutes I change the name servers to wherever I'm sending them.

AN is the only place that I have to follow up with. Since my domains are at Godaddy, I just fire off a premade email telling them I won the domain and want to list it but can't. Usually withn 3 days, and getting faster, they have removed the old listing and I can add it. I'd rather have it work like Sedo and DAN.

I only have to send screenshots to AN when it is on a non-Godaddy service.

Why aren't you just adding DANs text record instead of sending screenshots and emails?

•••
Well, to Afternic's and Dan's credit, my issue with unauthorized listings did seem to improve for a while. The original poster on this thread really seemed to help raise attention to this important issue.

Now that I see that Dan has allowed unauthorized listings of about 2/3 of my portfolio again, it's truly raising questions about the legitimacy of their supposed verification reform efforts.
Afternic at least allows direct listing through the Dynadot registrar. This seems to be an improvement for immediate domain ownership verification with one's registrar. Unfortunately, it does not help resolve the issue of unauthorized listings for those who choose to not list with Afternic.

So, pehaps ultimately little has changed.

I guess so. I started auto adding txt records for all venues (also those I don't list at) which solved the problem for me.

•••
We definitely need a strong competitor to wipe godaddy out of the market.
Best and most accurate post ever on NP!! Bravo!!

•••
We definitely need a strong competitor to wipe godaddy out of the market.
Yes but they will buy them

Sent an email off to AN, fraudulent listings removed. Still, my time used for something I never asked for and which could easily be rectified by proper platform management.

•••
Because this has been discussed here in the past week, we want to share our statement on Afternic's commitment to listing integrity, and the response to a recent event: https://blog.afternic.com/listing-integrity/
I think your company allows this to happen on purpose and intentional, not sure what is the real reason but I can speculate on a couple of things.

1. Godaddy/Afternic wants to force the real owners to come and join/list their domains on Afternic.
  2. Make Godaddy beast even bigger than it is, aka showing to end users their big list of domains and counts.
  3. Marketing tactic.

You could have made like SEDO but no you like to play with other small things, like pretending that you do something, when you are just running on a oily floor. :xf.laugh:
P.s. I agree with Brad on what he said in the other topic.

•••
On some level, there's also an incentive to keep customer support busy and therefore employed.

•••
They already have the tech/system in place. They refuse to though, to accommodate the lobby of big portfolio holders who can't be arsed to get with the time.
I agree with your comments. I am curious about this part about the "big portfolio holders". I've read similar comments on this forum, but I don't know what it is referring to. Could you please fill me in?

I assume that if there are big account holders they are using some form of automation and lists to keep track of and edit their domain inventory. With things like TXT records, they can batch edit their domains to add the TXT record.

I'm probably looking at this too simply and ignoring some issue. What is the possible issue(s) for these big account holders having to provide ownership verification before being able to list domains?

•••
So, if you do not list with Godaddy, it appears that you have to remove your listings from your current Non-Godaaddy marketplace temporarily, You then make the control panels changes with ns3 or txt and redirect all of those domains to Godaddy (i.e. Dan or Afternic). You then wait for Godaddy to verify your ownersihip. Then. they delete the unauthorized listing. At thgat point you can redo all of your control panel setting to redirect your landers to your non-Godaddy marketplace.

They also neglect the fact that the domain listed could be in use. It's the most stupid solution I have heard from a tech company in a long time.

•••
And presumably all of this may be futile. Until Godaddy has mandatory verification upfront, there appears to be nothing to stop the fraudsters from relisting. You get todo this all over again every time you discover another unauthorized listing.

So it appears that there is nothing to stop the rogue sellers from relisting after you go through all of this effort.

At least on Afternic you have the option to unlist (so not delete), which should prevent future unauthorized listings (of those domain names).

Of course it shouldn't be that cumbersome.

•••
The biggest problem I see with afternic, and why I don’t list there -

They let people who do not own the domain to request that it be listed for sale. If you “authorize” via the button they send via email you’re screwed.

I have gotten loads of these requests to authorize and they are for valuable domains. It makes me consider moving away from Gadaddy and its partners…

•••
It makes me consider moving away from Gadaddy and its partners…

The bigger problem is, it's not solving the issue at hand. No matter who you use... They'll list your domains and try to pry them from your hands.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know how the situation will change in the future as there seems to be ongoing chaos with GoDaddy/Afternic/Dan, but for now what I've found is: you need to have an Afternic account, at minimum. I went through removing fraudulent listings on Dan first, so please take that into consideration when reading this.

If the fraudulent listings originate from Afternic:
1) Create Afternic account
2) Upload list of your domains to them
3) Verify your domains with Afternic
4) Set domains as unlisted for sale

This will remove the fraudulent listings from the Afternic network and prevent others from listing them again as long as you own the domains and keep them verified.

If the fraudulent listings originate from Dan:
1) Create Dan account
2) Upload list of your domains to them
3) Verify your domains with Dan
4) There is no option on Dan to unlist the domains and keep them verified, so you have to set them as offer only and make reserve offer so ludicrous and high that no one will make an offer on the domain.

However, if you see a fraudulent listing on Dan and verify the domain on Dan, but if the fraudulent listing originated on Afternic: Verifying on Dan will only remove the listing from Dan and the Afternic listing will still remain across the Afternic network.

I don't see any other fraudulent listings for my domains that originate on Dan so I can't try verifying on Afternic first, to see if it also removes it from Dan. If that works, then having an Afternic account only may be possible.

I still consider this a shakedown and something that should be illegal. (if it isn't already)

As others have pointed to already, the fraudulent listers download lists from other marketplaces then upload them to Dan/Afternic and set higher prices. It's an easy scam with no overhead costs. I understand why they do it. If they don't get banned, it's sweet easy cash for any sale that does complete successfully. As more eyes get aware to this, I hope the scam grows causing more issues and frustration to eventually force GoDaddy to change their process. (Or have regulators step in and force GoDaddy to correct the problems they created)

I tend to think that GoDaddy execs sat in a boardroom years ago laughing about creating this evil situation. However, looking at what has recently happend with GoDaddy stripping functionality from Afternic without first incorporating those stripped features to GoDaddy: I start to think their boardroom meetings consist of a "wall of ideas" that they blindly throw darts at to make business decisions. *Chef's Kiss* to that stupidity.
Replying back to one of my previous posts. Maybe this info will help others. This gets long, so please bear with me.

You need both an Afternic account and a Dan account to protect/remove fraudulent listings, or to even take the listings away from previous owners.

I had some new domains to list for sale that I didn't want for sale through Afternic, Dan, or the Afternic network. I went to Afternic first to upload the domain names into my account. 1 domain errored out. Needed to be verified. I checked on other registrars websites searching for the domain, and it was indeed listed for sale on the Afternic network. (not by me)

So I added a TXT record to the domain and it verified correctly on Afternic. Then I unlisted the name. I checked searching on other registrar websites and it was now removed from the Afternic network.

All the other domain names I added on Afternic didn't require verification. They hadn't been listed on the Afternic network previously, I guess. Unlisted them too on Afternic.

Logged into my Dan account. Added the same domain names there. The same behavior happened. The 1 domain didn't get added to my account, the rest did. Received an email that the 1 domain failed. I searched Dan and the domain was still listed for sale there by the previous seller. I had to add another TXT record to the domain for Dan. Then received an email that Dan verified the domain. It was then removed from the previous seller's account and was in my account.

So adding your domains to your Afternic account will give you control of the listing on Afternic and the Afternic network. It will NOT remove the listing from Dan. You have to verify the domain on Dan too to have control of it.

Since the majority of the domains weren't previously listed for sale on either platform, I wasn't required to verify the domains. So I could add the same domains to each account for each company. Simply adding the domains first to Afternic and marking them unlisted, will not protect your domains from being listed on Dan.

Also, you can list the domain's for different "buy it now" prices on Dan even if you have it unlisted on Afternic. Dan will give you an error message that it won't put the price on the Afternic network as it is already listed with Afternic, BUT it will still allow for the different "buy it now" price to be listed and searched for on Dan.

WHAT.A.MESS

Last edited:
•••
This is obvious loophole for scammers, they can list millions of domains, in hope few domain owners will approve fast transfer by mistake.

Before enabling Fast Transfer the domain seller must prove ownership of the domain through a concrete method such as TXT records, screenshot can easily be faked.

Same loopshole applies to DAN as well with their new Afternic syndication
This is not their main purpose. They list the domains that list on other marketplace. If the domain sold on afternic, they will buy it on other marketplace. For example, if I list a domain for $20 on a marketplace, they will list it for $487 on afternic.

•••
No, I had to contact SAV to cancel this requests, most interesting they did not implement such function for user to reject SEDO/Afternic MLS , which is weird.
I like SAV but to not introduce more security is bad for a registrar.

The point is if we can't keep the domain asset safer with a registrar what's point in saving $1 p.a.?
I would rather pay $1 extra to protect my $8.88 investment.
I have stopped accepting FAST TRANSFER in SAV account. As you've pointed out, will contact SAV to remove all my previous FAST TRANSFER approvals.

Last edited:
•••
When you have more than 1000 COM domains you can SAVe allot. :xf.wink:

And IF you lose 1 DOMAIN that's worth $1000, you lose whatever you saved in 1 year.
And IF you lose 2 DOMAINs you'll end up with loss.

And most of the times, our domain is worth more than $1000.

•••
•••
I have to say that I am also a bit hesitant using Fast Transfer now and have just removed all my listings just to be safe.
I had removed all my names from Afternic due to the Dan/GoDaddy thing, but ended up adding them all back to Afternic (long story)... so it's time again to agree/approve the names for the Fast Transfer network. I think I'll pass on the Fast Transfer thing this time around.

•••
No, I had to contact SAV to cancel this requests, most interesting they did not implement such function for user to reject SEDO/Afternic MLS , which is weird.

@Sav.com has officially accepted:

"The ability to reject these is not currently possible but we are looking into adding in the functionality to the Domain Manager."

Ref:
https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/rejecting-afternic-fast-transfer-opt-in-requests

And, they've also asked to vote for this feature to be implemented.

"If this is a feature you would like to see available from the Domain Manager, please click the Vote button and we'll make sure to keep you updated."

So, please visit the above page and vote for it.

•••
Thanks for raising the issue. I also found several domains listed ( I am sure in my case they were old listings by previous owners since I got most of the domains from auctions there were cases for hand regs as well ).
I called the Afternic phone and talked to their representative. The easiest way to solve this is to have them wait and add a text record. Any text works. They can see the record Was added immediately and that proves the ownership. The listings are then removed by the same representative right away.
In case we list through Dan, Ns3 nameserver needs to be added and the old listing gets deleted in a couple of days, or for immediate removal just call Afternic and prove ownership via Text.
Crooks are alive and well and will always find ways to play the system, especially if it is set up in a vulnerable way as Afternic is.
In my opinion while we are asking for change and waiting for them to solve this, we need to be proactive and check for listings as soon as we acquire the domain. It is annoying especially for somebody with thousands of domains.
As it was said before it makes sense to me to list the Domains on Afternic with Make offer even if the owner doesn't plan on selling the domain, as a hedge.
Again, until they solve this it is a good practice to be proactive and protect ourselves.
Hope this helps, all the best.
P.S. I don't even have an Afternic account.

Last edited:
•••
This is an interesting quote from Afternic's membership agreement (bold emphasis added)

Reassuring? Perhaps all the more reason Afternic needs to add verification NOW.

Lol... The 'Afternic's membership agreement' you've emphasized is just to disown the liability that arises out of any verification of ownership or identity!

So, Afternic is NOT going to add verification NOW. Seems like NEVER, based on their stubborn policy over this matter over decades. There will be no change, unless their business hits rock bottom - just because of this issue :)

•••
@Sav.com has officially accepted:

"The ability to reject these is not currently possible but we are looking into adding in the functionality to the Domain Manager."

Ref:
https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/rejecting-afternic-fast-transfer-opt-in-requests

And, they've also asked to vote for this feature to be implemented.

"If this is a feature you would like to see available from the Domain Manager, please click the Vote button and we'll make sure to keep you updated."

So, please visit the above page and vote for it.
Voted.

•••
You know why Afternic/GD does not solve domain listings verification?
Check this photo and you will know why.
The fake WOW effect.
Screenshot (56).png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back