Domain Empire

discuss There are some people list millions of other people's domain on Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The FTC may be receptive, or perhaps able to point you in the right direction. The State Attorney General's may be able also to provide some help.

ICANN really impressed me in dealing with a Registrar issue that was quickly resolved. You could review their website and email to inquire if they can provide assistance.

It's always expected first with any of these agencies that you really tried to resolve the problems with the company first. I'm wondering if the opening poster of this thread, @70ym, has found a permanent, positive resolution for this frustrating issue?
Thank you for your comment.

I went to my state Attorney General's website and it didn't look like they allowed for the submission of anonymous reports. It seemed from some of their examples that the FTC may actually be the correct path to go.

The FTC does allow for anonymous reports. This was import to me, as information submitted can become public record. I really don't need the retaliation of a 15+ billion dollar corporation ruining my life. @GoDaddy

I filed a report with the FTC. Once the report was submitted it says:

- Your report will help us in our efforts to protect all consumers. Thank You!
- We can't resolve your individual report, but we use reports to investigate and bring cases against fraud, scams, and bad business practices.
- We share your report with our law enforcement partners who also use reports to investigate and bring cases against fraud, scams, and bad business practices.

So who knows if anything will happen, but I encourage anyone else reading this to also file a complaint with the FTC if these issues impact you.

https: //reportfraud . ftc . gov/ (remove spaces)

I will look into ICANN and see if they have anything similar for submitting concerns.

•••
Good to know! Thanks.
I’ve had domains or have domains at many registrars. Aside from godaddy and its partner Afternic, not a single one has ever asked me to authorize a sales listing.

It’s basically a criminal offense and godaddy is at the forefront. That’s why they have fast transfer. All about sales!!!

•••
Running into the same issue as everyone else here, I just posted in the Afternic thread about it:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/afternic-official-thread.1295231/post-9123734

I am also noticing a lot of my domains have been listed by someone else fraudulently on Afternic for prices much higher then what I am selling it for in other market places.

What I don't understand is how a company as large as GoDaddy would let such widespread fraud happen. A simple fix for this would be to implement nameserver verification prior to listing. This will eliminate this issue 100%.

Currently the way their system is setup is anyone can add any domain to their market place without any verification that they own the domain.

My theory is that a group of criminals are either manually or automatically listing a large number of other peoples domains they find in other market places for higher on Afternic. Their hope is that if a person buys the domain from their fake listing at a higher price @ Afternic they would then purchase the cheaper real listing domain and pocket the difference when they sell it. This would explain why the price they list it for at Afternic is always higher then the real listing at other places.

If you are reading this GoDaddy / Afternic please add some type of ownership verification prior to listing the domain instead of just when there is a conflict. This would stop fraudsters from listing other peoples domains.

This entire situation is very frustrating, hopefully Godaddy takes this issue seriously and does something about it.

•••
This is interesting, I know of a company who suddenly lost their domain (their whole business up and running on that domain).

Afternic sold the domain with a BIN price (something like $1200), and because it was already registered at GoDaddy, they just did a 'fast transfer' to the buyer's account.

The company claims that they never listed their domain name for sale, especially with a low BIN price.

What I'm now wondering is that if someone were to list YOUR domain with a BIN price, someone bought it (paid that BIN price), would it actually sell and go through 'fast transfer'.

•••
Thanks, everyone, especially @Namingfy, for raising the alarm. I'm floored that this appears to be a very real, on going problem that Afternic needs to immediately address.

Again, in my point of view, Afternic is NOT going to address it, how much ever everyone demands, unless their revenue starts declining and approaching zero.

The domain industry needs serious and ethical people who really understand domainers' needs and address their concerns. Not just the domainers (sellers) - but also the buyers. End of the day, if the listing is fake, the name can't be delivered. Why would a buyer had to pay and beg for refund, later? Aren't we wasting everyone's time/money/resource here?!

•••
I never used fast-transfer and I want nothing to do with it... automatically removing my assets without my confirmation is a security hazard.
As for the hassle of dealing with people that list them before we can, it's indeed a problem...

Last edited:
•••
It's certainly frustrating that not a single suggestion here on the forum actually gets picked up by Afternic. At least I can't recall. A sharp contrast with DAN.

Slap their brand on the Dan ui/backend and discontinue the old AN would be my suggestion:).

Or... Integrate dans tech with AN and discontinue Dan. Rewriting AN must me a monstrous task so option 1 would be preferred:)

•••
https://www.afternic.com/gdntc1
gdntc1

https://www.afternic.com/aliyuming
aliyuming

These people list about millions of other people's domain on afternic.
When I try to list my domain, it will show that my domain already list by these people. And I need to spend 10 minutes to send them an email and wait for a week if I want to list my domain.
so over 2 weeks later and those accounts are still active. i guess afternic is cool with listing other people's domains

•••
I received 9 emails from Afternic in the last 12 hours to "authorize your domain listings".

I did not list anything, so I have no idea what is going on with that.

All of them were for LLLL.com, many of which I have owned for well over a decade.

Brad
Similar, from Porkbun, a request to enable fast transfer for an LLLL I've never listed at Afternic.

Support from PB got back to me:

Thanks for reaching out. Afternic is a domain-reselling service where people can list their domains for sale. Unfortunately, Afternic does not require any sort of domain ownership verification for people to list their domains. Because of this, there is nothing to stop people from listing domains for sale that they don't own. The good news is that as long as you don't opt-in to fast transfer, you are at no risk of losing your domain. If you have no plans to use Afternic, we could also set your account to block Afternic Fast Transfer requests.

People literally spend their time day in day out with this crap, maybe they get lucky sometimes but what a way to live your days. Lol that PB has an option to block those requests, it must be bad.

•••
What I'm now wondering is that if someone were to list YOUR domain with a BIN price, someone bought it (paid that BIN price), would it actually sell and go through 'fast transfer'.
Ideally, even if someone who doesn't own the domain had listed the name in Afternic, and if it was sold, by default it should NOT be transferred via 'FAST TRANSFER', unless, there is 'Fast Transfer' approval in place. But, god only knows what process being followed by GD and Afternic. The domainers for most of the times, are at the mercy of the registrars. I only have 2 names in GD, as they were account pushed - purchase. Will move them out soon.

•••
Afternic sold the domain with a BIN price (something like $1200), and because it was already registered at GoDaddy, they just did a 'fast transfer' to the buyer's account.

Wow! If that's true, that's a huge security breach!

This means that I can sell any domain name registered on godaddy for $20 on afternic and immediately seize the ownership.

•••
At least one of the domains where that happened most recently was a fake listing at Dan.

Just now, I found that there is fake listing of my name (kisser.xyz) in DAN.
Currently it's in Auction @ Sav, and 6 days left. Before putting it in auction I had removed it from Dan. So, the below FAKER has listed MY NAME in his account.

Faker DAN Account:
https://dan.com/domain-seller/domain-seller-5ae9b41d-5324-4cfb-a75f-ca333dbc51be

Archived Proof:
https://archive.is/RdfNT

Faker's listing of MY NAME Kisser.xyz:
https://dan.com/domain-seller/domai...erms=kisser.xyz&results=50&order_by=relevance

Archived Proof:
https://archive.is/YOBW6

•••
I have around 20 names already listed from third parties on Afternic. They must add TXT confirmation ASAP.

•••
At least Sav is doing their survey, to see if they will allow their members to opt out of FT.
Sav is simply playing a 'survey game'!

If there is 'approval' there should be a 'remove approval' as well.
It's not an auction/sales contract/agreement. It's sales process automation, which you can switch to manual.
The 'Remove Afternic Fast Transfer' feature already exists in NameCheap and Dynadot.

Sav doesn't need a survey. They're playing this survey game to cover their shortcomings.

//Edited

Last edited:
•••
Piglets over at @Porkbun have ability to turn off afternic fast transfer.
I didnt actually try it, figure it works.
E236B0E1-0123-440A-B27C-1FA7ECBCBA8F.png

D30402FB-2C33-46DF-BC23-0E61806DF538.jpeg

•••
Hey everyone, I'm just catching up with the thread. I appreciate the diligence of investors that are auditing their accounts, but if anyone does spot any listings they are concerned about, email me on [email protected] and I'll work with you to get them fixed.

@70ym, I did DM you last week and the offer of help still stands.

On the wider verification topic, the feedback from the domain investment community has been powerful - that has translated into action - expect more from me relatively soon on this.

•••
Waiting and hoping that Afternic will identify and fix the problem won't work.

•••
so over 2 weeks later and those accounts are still active. i guess afternic is cool with listing other people's domains
I send a list of some of my domains that list by these accounts to James Iles a week ago.
2 days ago James Iles said "Just confirming that all those domains should have been removed."
But my domains still list by these accounts and not been removed.
example: https://www.afternic.com/domain/1711.vip

•••
Because this has been discussed here in the past week, we want to share our statement on Afternic's commitment to listing integrity, and the response to a recent event: ...

All this you wrote is nonsense.

You have to come up with a sharp and radical solution to solve the huge critical problem experienced by hundreds of afternic users.

Because there are still users experiencing the same problem. They will probably continue to experience it later because you choose to sweep the problems under the carpet every time instead of solving them.

•••
The bigger problem is, it's not solving the issue at hand. No matter who you use... They'll list your domains and try to pry them from your hands.
Not true.

For example, I’ve never got an unsolicited request from Name.com to authorize a sales listing.

•••
My question has continued to be: is there potentially an issue with security breaches along with these domain front running activities?

There are 2 angles:

1. If the platform (afternic/dan) does permit scandal/scam by letting someone list a name, without verification, then it's not called security issue. It's more of operational and ethical flaw.

2. If the platform doesn't permit scandal/scam, still, if someone is able to hack, then it's called 'security loop hole'.

•••
Clever, if that's what is going on. Not good business practice, though, and something I truly hope Afternic and Dan are not tacitly allowing to happen.

I don't hope so. It's not something NEW that Afternic/Dan doesn't know about it. They're in business for decades. They wouldn't let THEIR ASSET/MONEY drain without their knowledge. But, they're OK if someone else' asset is being transferred via 'Fast transfer' without even checking the ownership.

•••
How much difference do you think it really makes if a name is part of the Afternic "Premium" network (with Fast Transfer on) vs the "regular" Afternic network (without fast transfer)?

Sure, it makes difference, as the Fast Transfer option gives you more exposure.

But, when the domain gets sold you don't know if that it was listed by YOU or by a SCAMMER!
What's the point in getting more exposure, if there is no guarantee you'll get the sales proceeds?!

Worst, if you had your names in SAV, by the time you contact their support (they insist 'not via email but online ticket' and for which they don't provide any acknowledgement proof! ), you might get your names sold out and transferred out!

•••
thank you @LoveCatchyDomains i have started with #1 and i am removing the names from afternic

and then add them back and ignore the fast transfer option..

•••
You know why Afternic/GD does not solve domain listings verification?
Check this photo and you will know why.
The fake WOW effect.
Show attachment 231221
the IRS have to check 331 million people's revenue declaration to avoid fraud
and they are still doing their job

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back