NameSilo

registries The wholesale price of a .net domain is likely to top $15 by 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The wholesale price of a .net domain is likely to top $15 by 2023, under a proposed renewal of its ICANN contract revealed today.

ICANN-imposed price caps are staying in the new Registry Agreement, but Verisign retains the right to increase its fees by 10% in each of the six years of the deal’s lifespan.

But domain investors do have at least one reason to be cheerful — while the contract adds many features of the standard new gTLD registry agreement, it does not include a commitment to implement the Uniform Rapid Suspension anti-cybersquatting procedure.

The current .net annual fee charged to registrars is $8.95 — $8.20 for Verisign, $0.75 for ICANN — but Verisign will continue to be allowed to increase its portion by up to 10% a year.

Raed more > Domainincite
ICANN > .net renewal (open for comments)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I decided a while ago that I should dump my .net names. I've been a bit slow in doing it - maybe now is the time. As I have mentioned, I own FU2.net - maybe that is the name of the moment. :)

•••
Idiotic decision, if they go with it.

The price elasticity is high for .net

Increase of 30%, for example, might result in loss of 30-50% of registrations.

•••
On my way to work at a stoplight I saw a company with a hyphenated .net. I cannot recall the exact domain but do recall the name of the company was three words and the first three letters of the domain were an abbreviation of the three words. The format was LLL-USA.net I just cannot recall which three letters were used. IMO a pretty obvious reg fee name. I don't know what they sell but another example of end users placing zero value on the domain name.

•••
I only own 3 but all redirections to their developed websites on the .com
I stick 99%+ .com for resale purposes

•••
There is really no use for .net unless you're a programmer for hire IMO. I think the command price of $15 is a bit high, it's not like it's a .com. Heck, even .co is better than .net IMO!

•••
ñet涨价com会不会也跟着涨价呢?

Translation (Please use English):
Ñet price com will not follow the price increase it?

•••
•••
I decided a while ago that I should dump my .net names. I've been a bit slow in doing it - maybe now is the time. As I have mentioned, I own FU2.net - maybe that is the name of the moment. :)

I only own 3 but all redirections to their developed websites on the .com
I stick 99%+ .com for resale purposes

There is really no use for .net unless you're a programmer for hire IMO. I think the command price of $15 is a bit high, it's not like it's a .com. Heck, even .co is better than .net IMO!

Thanks @GeorgeK.

It doesn't matter if you hold a lot of dot nets or not, everyone needs to comment on this.
We don't want this to set a precedent for the future.

Rally round the flag, folks, I sent mine in, send yours in today.
We all need to get this done asap, as we're running out of time here, 3 more days.

Peace,
Cy

•••
Yes, just 3 more days left to submit comments. To summarize:

1. ICANN is proposing to renew the .NET registry agreement with Verisign, keeping in place the 10% annual price increases. Instead, they could tender the registry operation and award it to the lowest bidder, saving domain name registrants an enormous amount of money.

2. The draft agreement doesn't impose the URS, but INTA wants it added (just like new gTLDs have).

3. ICANN is getting 75 cents per domain per year as a fee for .NET, compared to 25 cents for .com/org, so that should also be fixed.

One can read the existing comments from others at:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-net-renewal-20apr17/2017q2/date.html

To submit a comment, go to:

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/net-renewal-2017-04-20-en

and click on "Submit Comment to Forum" (on the left hand side, below "Brief Overview") for the email address. You can also read the entire proposed renewal text from ICANN on that page.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back