IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The idea that .tel is going to replace phone numbers is just a wild dream, sorry.
Replace ? no, no use.
Convert/resolve, => yes (usefull)
like IP => DN

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

The concept of dialing a domain name does not begin and end with .tel. The .com registry could add a phone number record at any time.

It would require a huge DNS infra update worldwide. For example, Win2003 DNS server does not support NAPTR.

.tel is made for specific need.

About hosting contacts informations, .tel is sheaper, faster and simpler to implement that .com

About naptr, .tel is ready to use. And how could it be more natural to use .tel for telephony ?

.tel is so abvious, so natural.

With time and workload, you can cut your meat with your fork. So bad you didn't use your knife.:lol:

•••
What is this "phone booth" concept to which you make reference? I do not understand. Has someone placed all smart phones in a special containment vessel and removed the alphanumeric keypads? I must find out more...
I'm no rotary phone nostalgic mind you :)
The reason why I'm bringing phone booths to the conversation, is as a reminder that the telephone system is truly universal. It's the only way you can reach pretty much any place on the planet. .tel (or any domain extension) certainly cannot replace that.

Here are some information on differences between ENUM and .tel

The .tel is the first TLD to harness NAPTR, TXT and LOC records within the DNS and thereby power a compelling solution for contact management that enables both individuals and businesses to store data directly within the DNS.
Sorry Spline but from the point of view of an end user (or a domainer) the above is just a mix of marketing fluff and techie jargon designed to confuse people.
One single, plain English sentence sums it all:
The .tel is the first TLD to harness NAPTR, TXT and LOC records within the DNS and thereby power a compelling solution for contact management that enables both individuals and businesses to store data directly within the DNS.

I understand that NAPTR records are specific to .tel at present, however TXT and LOC are already available in other TLDs and the DNS system can accommodate additional records as needed, that's why I'm saying .tel is not needed. It doesn't mean much in terms of adoption by consumers.

Yes there are problems with old phones, however atleast in sweden you will be pressed hard to find a phoneboth.
Yeah same here... everybody has got at least one mobile phone. But like phone booths, mobile phones can dial regular PSTN numbers.

Perhaps, as Hakita suggests, there is a misunderstanding.
.tel replacing phone numbers, no way. Use them, makes sense.

•••
This is what company phones are starting to look like:

TANDBERG | Photo Gallery | TANDBERG E20

I think .tel would be a very natural thing to use on such a phone.

It just doesnt make sence to surf to a companys .com website to "call a person from such a phone" when there is .tel domains.

•••
This is what company phones are starting to look like:

TANDBERG | Photo Gallery | TANDBERG E20

It just doesnt make sence to surf to a companys .com website to "call a person from such a phone" when there is .tel domains.

Sure, that sounds nice in theory but it's a very impractical and improbable scenario.

First, it would require a mass adoption for using those types of phones not only from businesses but from consumers as well.

Secondly, .tel would have to provide a solution that is cheaper and/or better then what is already being provided to run these phones.

Still...a year later...all I see from the .tel investors is hope with no real answers on where the extension is going or any examples of how people have utilized it effectively and/or successfully.

Acroplex made a good point when he said:
Then please tell me why .tel owners want to mimic other TLDs? They want to register every possible keyword, sell them for $$$$ and have been asking for ads.

•••

I don't see why .tel even fits into this equation.

It doesn't make sense to surf to a .com website to call a person from any phone.

Sorry but this is reminding me more and more of .mobi.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Help Please :)
Where can register cheapest .TEL ?

•••
•••
only domainer know about tel pages the man in the street will not know anything about telpages

•••
only domainer know about tel pages the man in the street will not know anything about telpages

I think you are wrong, because most by default .tel has a tel search box in the upper right corner making it very easy to discover the telpages.

Here is a selection of .tel pages from across the world:

Sweden:
Jesper, the SEO of Eniro, Swedens largest directory service.
jkarrbrink.tel

Russia
elina.tel

England
philgeraghty.tel

Romania
catalin.tel

Guy in Italy:
mmx.tel

US NY
michellephan.tel

United States Minneapolis,
brentk.tel

Korean guy:
xn--299aqd.tel

US NY
shanedawson.tel

Swedish guy
fredrikhansson.tel

Ireland:
afbi.tel

Germany
yosh.tel

Prague
sanyam.tel

Swedish guy:
ahlstrom.tel

Denmark
fgd.tel

Norway:
terje.tel

Dubai:
alnaqbi.tel

Japan
brights.tel

Ecuador
echeverria.tel

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Why did .tel cross the road ?

•••
Why did .tel cross the road ?

There was this huge 18-wheeler barreling down the highway and it was trying commit TLD suicide.

•••
•••
•••

TelChina.tel sold for $4,992.

•••
well if telchina.tel sold for $4,992 they must be something in it..
so whats telchina.com worth i wonder

•••
telchina.tel is not even a landrush domain it has a registration Date of Sep 01 2009

•••
•••
•••

TelChina.tel sold for $4,992.

Joke!

I am a Chinese. I don't think it can happen.
Maybe a fantacy story behind that. Let us wait that story.

•••
Joke!

I am a Chinese. I don't think it can happen.
Maybe a fantacy story behind that. Let us wait that story.

The sale was reported on this week's DNjournal sales site, a well-respected and reliable source.

;)

•••
•••

Plex,

Just announcing a sale, nothing more, nothing less. What of it?

•••
I'm presuming its related to the fact that telnic released news this week that there is telchina.org
tel is getting launched in china.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back