Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Teligator will be doing just what you are hoping for. If you want to see a sneak preview, check the videos from TelCamp Toronto.

Updates about it's release and more news coming shortly.

That is good news, it gives a breath to .tel owners, can't wait till it goes public.

•••
I've upgraded my iphone to 3.0 and download mytel and superbook app.
Superbook is just awsome, I'add .tel contact and navigation is more convinient than iphone browser.
I'm just happy with .tel, what ever nasayers says in my mind I know that .tel is the best ext after .com
I ve navigated from usrealestate.tel and clicked on links witch are all .tel and it was like continuing on a smooth ride.

Also Mytel app was fantastic, I don't have to go to my telhosting anymore but from my iphone I can do same task with a mobile device.

Last edited:
•••
Mark, this is a great tool to start but even this is a bit non convinient because of codes and I can see pages and pages for huge directories. If it was like a software like with entry forms it will be more easy for users to use it. Also I'm more for csv files where you have to enter datas with excell witch is easy as 123, any person can do and don't need any line of codes. That is how huge professional yellow pages directory websites are working, they import csv files, you can buy those database for any states, country, cities, niche.... I hope that if Henry from Telnic sees my post he will start thinking about developping a plugin for that.

Steve, my tool is temporary and for small sites. Now that Freaky Steve has Teligator almost ready, I will actually start using his tool as it will be a commercially-supported and more flexible. I'm sure he will get it to support CSV. However with regards to directories, unless you host them on your own telhosting server, directories will be limited to 3000 records, so huge directories just wont exist en masse.

Mark

•••
Hasn't a good deal of the major speculative development, like monetelize.com, been done with directory building being the main objective?

It will be interesting to see what really takes off in .tel land. I would more inclined to believe that individual use of the .tel platform will be what really promotes large numbers being sold.

•••
It has nothing to do with emulating websites. You'll see as adoption spreads and all sorts of new and interesting services converge :)
What kind of services do you believe will spark mainstream adoption of .tel?

---------- Post added 09-06-2009 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-05-2009 at 11:57 PM ----------

That guy has a .tel logo in his Twitter avatar. I don't know what his relation is to .tel, but he is definitely a shill.

•••
What kind of services do you believe will spark mainstream adoption of .tel?

A lot has already been discussed in this thread and it would take some time to go over properly, but I'm going to blog about it soon.

DubDubDubDot said:
That guy has a .tel logo in his Twitter avatar. I don't know what his relation is to .tel, but he is definitely a shill.

He's the President of Blenz Coffee. He joined the .tel twibbon group to show his support. But of course, anybody who disagrees with you has to be a shill.

•••
He's the President of Blenz Coffee. He joined the .tel twibbon group to show his support. But of course, anybody who disagrees with you has to be a shill.
mobile.starbucks.com (automatically redirected from starbucks.com)
vs.
BlenzCoffee.tel

That is .tel's uphill battle.

They really need big business to adopt .tel, but when everyone has already done something else it's going to be difficult. PizzaHut, Dominos, WalMart, Sears, McDonalds, etc... etc... are all auto redirecting their .com's to designs optimized for mobile devices with FAR GREATER functionality for users than .tel offers.

I'd like to see the .tel pumpers address how .tel is going to get around this.

•••
That's why dot com is king but when the .com is taken and you can either way get a .mobi .tel.... that's fantastic. Let say there is pizza.com that belongs to pizza hotty, you can reg or buy pizza.tel to list pizza restaurants, well it's a win win situation.

•••
That's why dot com is king but when the .com is taken and you can either way get a .mobi .tel.... that's fantastic.
No, that is the consolation prize that nobody wants. When the .com is taken, you obtain an alternative .com.

Oh, and don't group .mobi and .tel together like that. 100% of what you can do on .com can be scaled down to .mobi since .mobi is something more than .tel data entry.

.mobi is for .com owners to offer a mobile version at. The mobile redirect that is now in common use has made .mobi obsolete, and that is why .mobi has now moved into the design business with products such as Instant Mobilizer That IMO is now .mobi's draw.

Let say there is pizza.com that belongs to pizza hotty, you can reg or buy pizza.tel to list pizza restaurants, well it's a win win situation.
Here we go again with this .tel directory malarkey.

Let's talk about legit businesses that want a mobile presence and not wannabie developers. Since we are domainers, we need the people who can afford to pay decent money for domains to become interested. The .tel directory builders are at the very bottom of the web development totem pole. They mean absolutely nothing to the future value of .tel.

Look at MOBILE.PIZZAHUT.COM and give me your most persuasive argument why they should have chosen PizzaHut.tel instead of doing that.

•••
No, that is the consolation prize that nobody wants. When the .com is taken, you obtain an alternative .com.

Oh, and don't group .mobi and .tel together like that. 100% of what you can do on .com can be scaled down to .mobi since .mobi is something more than .tel data entry.

.mobi is for .com owners to offer a mobile version at. The mobile redirect that is now in common use has made .mobi obsolete, and that is why .mobi has now moved into the design business with products such as Instant Mobilizer That IMO is now .mobi's draw.

Here we go again with this .tel directory malarkey.

Let's talk about legit businesses that want a mobile presence and not wannabie developers. Since we are domainers, we need the people who can afford to pay decent money for domains to become interested. The .tel directory builders are at the very bottom of the web development totem pole. They mean absolutely nothing to the future value of .tel.

Look at MOBILE.PIZZAHUT.COM and give me your most persuasive argument why they should have chosen PizzaHut.tel instead of doing that.

Don't think that directories are useless, that's what people though when entrepreneur like realestatedirectory.com bought all real estate dot com as he can for developping DIRECTORIES on it, just with these he make big earnings with listing from real estate agents and companies and ads.
This can be applied to .tel for pizza, hotels, taxis or any other generic .tel

You said: "No, that is the consolation prize that nobody wants. When the .com is taken, you obtain an alternative .com.", totally disagree, if you have any generic name everyone here is ready to buy if affordable and even high prices, so don't underestimate other tlds, check sedo or dnjournal other tlds are not "consolation prize that nobody wants"

Last edited:
•••
Don't think that directories are useless, that's what people though when entrepreneur like realestatedirectory.com bought all real estate dot com as he can for developping DIRECTORIES on it, just with these he make big earnings with listing from real estate agents and companies and ads.
This can be applied to .tel for pizza, hotels, taxis or any other generic .tel
Take a closer look at what RealEstateDirectory.com is doing. This is actually a parking operation. He is using hubs to funnel traffic into parked domains. I don't see any homes for sale, paid listings, agents or ads.

•••
This weekends .tel reg: Johnstown.tel

I'm from PA, Johnstown is a fairly large city...

I figure the GEO tels have the most promise...I think .tel will be big at some point, but not in the very near future....

•••
What came first, the phone number or the phone book?

I think a lot of criticism of dot tel directories not being hugely successful is really missing the point. The purpose of dot tel is to provide a single point of contact. What is easier to remember - myname.tel or a 10-digit number?

•••
What is easier to remember - myname.tel or a 10-digit number?
How much of .tel's upside is riding on it becoming a phone number alternative?

IMO that is pretty much everything for .tel from a domaining standpoint, and the payoff in a best case scenario is at least 10-15 years away.

Some people in this thread say 1 year, others say 5 years. It's going to take longer than 5 years for "Call us at Attorney.tel" to appear in ads (and that is the level of usage that domainers will need for a big payoff).

The primary condition that will have to be met for this to even have a chance at happening will be the vast, vast, vast majority of phones supporting .tel "numbers". That includes landline phones and even payphones.

•••
How much of .tel's upside is riding on it becoming a phone number alternative?

IMO that is pretty much everything for .tel from a domaining standpoint, and the payoff in a best case scenario is at least 10-15 years away.

Some people in this thread say 1 year, others say 5 years. It's going to take longer than 5 years for "Call us at Attorney.tel" to appear in ads (and that is the level of usage that domainers will need for a big payoff).

The primary condition that will have to be met for this to even have a chance at happening will be the vast, vast, vast majority of phones supporting .tel "numbers". That includes landline phones and even payphones.

AGREED!!

Great message posted by you. I hope some new investors will think of your advice before throwing the money down the Drain!

imo .tel was huge failure so far, dont know about the future.

•••
What came first, the phone number or the phone book?

I think a lot of criticism of dot tel directories not being hugely successful is really missing the point. The purpose of dot tel is to provide a single point of contact. What is easier to remember - myname.tel or a 10-digit number?

I usually don't remember the phone number.

That's why I save the information to my cell phone.
(ex: Let's say that the number is 000-000-0000, I save it to my phone as "company1")

hmmm, I've done this since... more than a decade ago using my cell phone.

Last edited:
•••
•••
dont lose THAT cell phone

The decade old nokia cell phone?
I threw that one away long time ago.

I buy a new cell phone every year. ;)

•••
Ive been using myname.tel for a while now and i find it better for my clients since i dont have a site up yet lol nor will i have the time to setup one right now.

•••
With or without my first name ?

If I have only one dot tel to buy between the 2 following, wich one is the best :
albertlastname.tel or lastname.tel ?
Please, comment.

•••
Lastname.tel

If I have only one dot tel to buy between the 2 following, wich one is the best :
Please, comment.

lastname.tel, no hesitation IMHO. Once you'll have lastname.tel, you will be able to create up to 3,000 subdomains, including albert.lastname.tel ...

•••
Please, comment.

I'd say lastname.tel was more versatile. You can use subdomains to store contact info for your whole family: albert.lastname.tel, john.lastname.tel, etc

I played it safe and regged both.

One downside of using lastname.tel is that currently, john.lastname.tel is not a fully independent entity; you cannot grant John admin rights to john.lastname.tel and only this subdomain.

In the same way that I don't think you can use john.lastname.tel as a username to login to the .tel apps. Superbook etc. (I don't have an iphone to check this out yet)

Last edited:
•••
Adoption in 5 - 10 years is a projection made with the same skeptical viewpoint of .tel that is the norm on this board. I agree that more devices need to support the .tel click to connect feature, but that is certainly not going to take that long to happen.

We also tend to overlook the fact that's it's not simply phone numbers listed there: it's every point of contact you want to give out. So, you might not have that much difficulty giving someone your phone number only, but what about fax number, skype, email, personal web sites or social sites, etc. etc. etc.

Most people here gloss over the fact that .tel is the first domain dedicated to communication. This will have an enormous adoption in the near future.

I personally don't feel the domain was meant for 'domainers' anyway. It's for every person, business, or organization to have an easy to remember, personal point of contact.

If posters on this forum don't like the domain, don't get one! The bashing is just another form of the silly negativity that pervades every aspect of business or social life today.

•••
Most people here gloss over the fact that .tel is the first domain dedicated to communication. This will have an enormous adoption in the near future.

I personally don't feel the domain was meant for 'domainers' anyway. It's for every person, business, or organization to have an easy to remember, personal point of contact.

If posters on this forum don't like the domain, don't get one! The bashing is just another form of the silly negativity that pervades every aspect of business or social life today.

i turned over all of my .tels to my wife and i am concentrating on developing our .com and other developable (not a word) domians.

dedicated to delivering the Internet to mobile devices

many of those who have posted somewhat negative comments seem to have one thing in common... most of them have feedback points. ie--> they have been around for some time. they have seen, or more likely have invested in mobi. mobi was everthing that .tel is trying to be and more. i personally invested thousands. ( and lost thousands). there are some mobi's that are making money and returning their investment, but most are not.

HOWEVER-

.tel has ONE big advantage over mobi. people bought mobis and never developed them because they didnt know how. dot tel is simple to "populate" (vs/ develop) and this reason alone may help it to become accepted where mobi failed.

the second biggest cause of death for mobi was the iphone. not so much because iphone was able to browse the web but more because one button placed ".com" at the end of the domain name that you were typing.

imho- if you want .tel to get accepted and succeed-
populate your .tel
and
develop an ap or get apple to include a one button ".tel" on their iphone browser.

now i will go back to my dark dusty corner and try and get back to development before my wife sees that i posted in "her" area of our domains...

peace out-
:wave:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back