Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is .tel related only to telecom and communication websites or can anyone register this extension?
Anyone, but it sounds like you might not know that .tel is a social networking site with it's own TLD. Development is limited to data entry.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

On a more interesting note Prague.tel has been released. And getting press

Here
That is just a press release. The domain owner is shilling .tel in hopes of leasing the geo .tel's they own.

•••
Well, all I care about is the fact that Hotels.tel has the same basic design like they all do, and it has a Pagerank of 5.....

Acctualy, it is not Hotels.tel design, its just telnic webproxy design. .Tel domain/ 'website' are just dns records, and you shuld be able to retrieve and display that data with some other app which have different 'skin' - like iphone app.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

Nice marketing :) Luckily I also have one European capital city .tel :)

•••
Prague.tel

I am developing some dot tel with the same pattern as PRAGUE.TEL : chambly.tel, laval.tel, longueuil.tel ; they are cities around Montreal, Canada ; also gouverneur.tel, small town in NY state.

Is PRAGUE.TEL a good model to follow to develop a directory ?
Please, give your comments.

Last edited:
•••
PRAGUE.TEL nah dont work for me...if iam in on prague.tel looking for someplace to eat,i click the link
but then i leave prague.tel and have to find my wayback to say find a taxi to get me to the eating place.
to much like hard work...i have a few geo.tels myself but i find jumping back and forth is a pain.

i like tel and use mine for work and it seems to work ok for what i need. .

•••
Is PRAGUE.TEL a good model to follow ?
In comparission to exactly what?

Los Angeles
Las Vega.net, com .tel

?????

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
That is just a press release.

It surprises me when people are incredible profound around specualitive matters.

"Is it making money "

•••
To me, one of the best features of the .tel domain name, is the ability to "click to call"... You arrive at your destination link, click it, and the call is placed... This is revolutionary to me, the applications for mobile computing would seem endless using this TLD...This is the reason I've registered about 15 TEL domain names in the past week...

When .tel first came out, I thought it was just another .travel or .aero...... Then I did the research, and realized this TLD is very different from anything else...So, I searched for the best names available, and came out with some decent ones... When regging, I always try and make sure that the keyword fits this ext, I think that's more important with .tel than any other extension, even .org...

I think in the next few years, the huge phone companies are going to be investing some serious money into this TLD, and the global possibilities are staggering if this happens....

Prague.tel might just be the beginning of something big, I just wish I had started investing in this TLD when the really good names were available... I remember getting notices from Dynadot during the sunrise, and landrush, and I completely ignored them...But, it's not too late, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, there are still some decent names available, you just have to dig hard to find them....

Last edited:
•••
To me, one of the best features of the .tel domain name, is the ability to "click to call"... You arrive at your destination link, click it, and the call is placed... This is revolutionary to me
This actually works on every extension.

Here is the code:

Code:
<a href="callto:123456789">123456789</a>

•••
•••
Ok for prague.tel or any city directory, it's really hard to work on.
I own a .tel city and tried to create subdomains like hotels then list hotels 1 by 1 by creating another subdomain and some hotels are long words, then have to input data. To be frank, it wasn't fun, takes too much time, some time you made mistake and modify and waste time again because dns updates slow. I didn't even finish one category that I must "drop my sponge". I also have been use a business directory that is a php my sql hosted website and it's much easier to input data or import. I don't know if they have developped a csv file (excell) that anyone can input datas in it so it's faster and then upload to .tel if not I can't imagine anyone doing a city directory even it can accept a huge amount of listings. Another thing is backup because if something happens (outages, hardware fail...) you're get sued by business owners that have been listed in your .tel for fees.

So I won't continue that way with a city directory but will be sold to a company in my city and used as contact info only.

•••
This actually works on every extension.

Here is the code:

Code:
<a href="callto:123456789">123456789</a>

Yes, "Click to call" is a matter of simple html input.

•••
Are you for real or just being a shill again?

.tel source...

http://i25.tinypic.com/szadk2.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

To be frank, it wasn't fun, takes too much time, some time you made mistake and modify and waste time again because dns updates slow. I didn't even finish one category that I must "drop my sponge".
Well there's the first public admission of shattered dreams by a .tel pumper.

Basing a directory business off a .tel profile was a key point of support in this thread among non-developers. I had been wondering why we weren't seeing any of these things actually being built.

•••
I own a .tel city and tried to create subdomains like hotels then list hotels 1 by 1 by creating another subdomain and some hotels are long words, then have to input data.

Good point..... Who wants to do things like input data, and actually have to do work..... I was hoping that the sites would just magically assemble themselves....And those hotel "big words", wow, talk about a pain.. I think I'll just grace delete all my tel domains....

•••
Basing a directory business off a .tel profile was a key point of support in this thread among non-developers. I had been wondering why we weren't seeing any of these things actually being built.

boracay.tel was one of the first city.tels populated, if not the first.
the business model has existed for many months prior to data being added/continually added.
the "developers" tools also continue to be rolled out (albiet agonizingly slowly) which will eventually enable the full business model to exist.

to say things are not being built, why do you continually say such garbage?

•••
I admit in my recent post that it was painful for managing .tel as city or huge directory but not for small ones. What .tel was made and is still the best ext. for is for contact infos: Companies can list several directories with office contact, department stores, location stores... this is not huge task and don't need any import of datas, it's even faster than if it was on the web with database, webdesign and hosting.
So don't put down .tel (someone said he will let it drop!) it's a fantastic eTool specially for mobile devices.
Also for personal users all I can say is : BENEFITS Yes I do own my personal .tel (name) and it's a wonderfull contact communication, I can list what I want and share myname.tel to my family and friends and they have all my infos whatever I'm in my country or in Hawaii in a hotel room I just update .tel with hotel number and room. I get in touch with my friends and family all the time, that is just one sample of what benefits you can get using .tel
I LOVE DOT TEL

•••
Ok for prague.tel or any city directory, it's really hard to work on.
I own a .tel city and tried to create subdomains like hotels then list hotels 1 by 1 by creating another subdomain and some hotels are long words, then have to input data. To be frank, it wasn't fun, takes too much time, some time you made mistake and modify and waste time again because dns updates slow. I didn't even finish one category that I must "drop my sponge". I also have been use a business directory that is a php my sql hosted website and it's much easier to input data or import. I don't know if they have developped a csv file (excell) that anyone can input datas in it so it's faster and then upload to .tel if not I can't imagine anyone doing a city directory even it can accept a huge amount of listings. Another thing is backup because if something happens (outages, hardware fail...) you're get sued by business owners that have been listed in your .tel for fees.

So I won't continue that way with a city directory but will be sold to a company in my city and used as contact info only.

Steve, for yorkregion.tel I uploaded it with the free tool at populate.tel and maintain it weekly. It has 700 entries and takes 10 minutes.
Mark

•••
Steve, for yorkregion.tel I uploaded it with the free tool at populate.tel and maintain it weekly. It has 700 entries and takes 10 minutes.
Mark

Mark, this is a great tool to start but even this is a bit non convinient because of codes and I can see pages and pages for huge directories. If it was like a software like with entry forms it will be more easy for users to use it. Also I'm more for csv files where you have to enter datas with excell witch is easy as 123, any person can do and don't need any line of codes. That is how huge professional yellow pages directory websites are working, they import csv files, you can buy those database for any states, country, cities, niche.... I hope that if Henry from Telnic sees my post he will start thinking about developping a plugin for that.

•••
DubDubDubDot said:
Are you for real or just being a shill again?

Glad you asked. I'm for real. Are you for real? Just want to check that we're all for real.

DubDubDubDot said:

Building commercial directories will come later - right now all I care about seeing is the growing adoption amongst individuals and small businesses, e.g. BlenzCoffee.tel (see what the owner said about it).

I also want to say that people building directories are obviously a small constituency and the TelHosting interface probably isn't very suitable for this; but the platform is completely open and we're free to build whatever tools we need. Several such efforts are under way.

•••
boracay.tel was one of the first city.tels populated, if not the first.

most of the tel directories i've seen have been unwieldy and i couldn't imagine anyone actually using them, but i really like what you've done with boracay so far. it's simple, direct and in many cases it takes only two or three clicks to get where you want to go. maybe the tighter focus is the key. i'm not sure general directories for big cities work well, but small communities, narrow subjects and maybe even neighborhoods probably work fine.

•••
i was in whitby this bank holiday and my wife ask me to look on the net to find someplace to eat
l will was disapointed to find whitby.tel just pointed to domainmonster...

then i rememberd whitby .tel is one of mine....

now if name like this uk geo are just parked this can do little good for dot tel....

so ill do something with it ...and link it to other ukgeo.tel out there if any on the east coast

•••
If it was like a software like with entry forms it will be more easy for users to use it. .

Well, then just register ordinary domain with ordinary extension and put some free directory software like phplink and there you are :)

If I would like to build a directory site, I really dont know why I would go with .tel.

•••
hullswingerscom said:
i was in whitby this bank holiday and my wife ask me to look on the net to find someplace to eat. l will was disapointed to find whitby.tel just pointed to domainmonster...

The idea is that you'd use a special purpose .tel search engine to find what you're looking for, rather than take a stab in the dark like that.

A new search engine is coming soon :)

•••
The reasons I'd prefer a .tel for a directory are:

Speed-----the .tel idea is optimized with directories in mind

Ease of use-----the simple template actually makes things easier, and IMO, it fits the application it is trying to provide.

The click to call feature----as someone pointed out, .com COULD be used this way, but try it in real life, and you'll see the huge pitfalls, it simply will not work on a large global scale like .tel will.

Contact info--- With .tel your contact info is stored DIRECTLY on the DNS, the advantages of this are enormous, it makes things faster, gives you more control, and makes the data easily retrievable...

The mobile computing aspect-- This may be the biggest reason.. It will take mobile computing to a level never seen before, and this segment of the industry is growing incredibly fast right now, I don't see another TLD than can compete with these applications...

I think .tel is completely different than all other TLDs, and it may take 3-5 years to catch on, but it WILL catch on, because the applcations it provides are needed in a big way, and .tel was created with this need in mind... This isn't just your average TLD, IMO, this is something special for the future...

If I would like to build a directory site, I really dont know why I would go with .tel.

•••
I also want to say that people building directories are obviously a small constituency and the TelHosting interface probably isn't very suitable for this;
I find the directory concept to be a stretch, after all .tel was designed to hold contact information, not to emulate websites. IMO this is an unconvincing attempt at monetizing what cannot be monetized.

A new search engine is coming soon :)
Oh yes, Bing. I will have a look at it.

•••
I find the directory concept to be a stretch, after all .tel was designed to hold contact information, not to emulate websites. IMO this is an unconvincing attempt at monetizing what cannot be monetized.

It has nothing to do with emulating websites. You'll see as adoption spreads and all sorts of new and interesting services converge :)

•••
...If it was like a software like with entry forms it will be more easy for users to use it. Also I'm more for csv files where you have to enter datas with excell witch is easy as 123, any person can do and don't need any line of codes...

Teligator will be doing just what you are hoping for. If you want to see a sneak preview, check the videos from TelCamp Toronto.

Updates about it's release and more news coming shortly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back