Dynadot

The .ooo extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tianjunjie

Established Member
Impact
I hold more than 20 DotOOO domain names.
America.ooo
Bitcoin.ooo
Dream.ooo
Zone.ooo
Show your DotOOO domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
....is this a real extension? And if so, WHY?!

•••
•••
Not to make fun of anyone, but I feel a huge swell of pity to anyone who regs these things.

Even .xxx has a point. .ooo?

My guess: a typo of their actual worth:
triple zero.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Is it 000 or ooo? Man, this extension has 000% chance of ever being worth refee

•••
boooh.ooo is available

Nice brandable for a .ooo marketplace, cause that's the sound you'll be making in 1-2 years when you don't have a bankroll investing in such a nonsensical string.

•••
I actually think it might catch on in India (and then perhaps in some other upcoming markets) few years from now.

When we're looking from our perspective, sure, it seems pretty pointless thing to be focusing on. Because we're familiar with all the alternatives, have pretty strong historical attachments to some domain extensions and, more generally, to how the Internet functions. But in developing countries, there are going to be millions and millions of people that will enter the Internet market without such attachments. And they will do so in quite different conditions than the first .com or .net users did, so the "mobile friendly extension" argument may actually work out there.

Another thing is the money which the new users will bring to the table. India, unlike China, will not have the option to simply buy their way into the market. That also might persuade some customers to look for alternatives cheaper than .com's. Of course there is always a question wthether this particular extension has the will and marketing power to become such viable alternative, even locally.

Regardless of the above, there is no urgency to stock .ooo domains for now. I myself have only few of them and I'm pretty happy about it at this point.

•••
•••
how much is the reg fee?

•••
Hate to say it, but nothing in your post is applicable to .ooo. Your argument technically does apply, but it applies to all extensions and thus, you're saying .ooo is merely another extension.But .ooo has no purpose and likely will never be developed, let alone the exceptional .NewTld

I actually think it might catch on in India (and then perhaps in some other upcoming markets) few years from now.

When we're looking from our perspective, sure, it seems pretty pointless thing to be focusing on. Because we're familiar with all the alternatives, have pretty strong historical attachments to some domain extensions and, more generally, to how the Internet functions. But in developing countries, there are going to be millions and millions of people that will enter the Internet market without such attachments. And they will do so in quite different conditions than the first .com or .net users did, so the "mobile friendly extension" argument may actually work out there.

Another thing is the money which the new users will bring to the table. India, unlike China, will not have the option to simply buy their way into the market. That also might persuade some customers to look for alternatives cheaper than .com's. Of course there is always a question wthether this particular extension has the will and marketing power to become such viable alternative, even locally.

Regardless of the above, there is no urgency to stock .ooo domains for now. I myself have only few of them and I'm pretty happy about it at this point.

•••
This is just some food for thought.
I post this
not to create an argument but to put out some information to anyone who may be interested.
As far as the extension is concerned, it is being promoted heavily in INDIA (as the company stated it would be). Hence, we do not hear about it much in the states. Considering a vast majority of DOMAINERS are state side, its hard to rally around this one because there is NO INFORMATION out there on it unless you go digging.

Below I have some quick cut and pastes from some venture capital sites and India news sites.
Keep in mind that the company who owns .OOO has stated that they fully intend to utilize the .OOO extension in conjunction with their growing BuildaBazaar site *AND* is also looking to an IPO for further expansion.
An IPO means more capital in which to build from.
Consider that the extension continues to make small but stead growth and is nearing its way into the top 100 gTLDs.
There may be a sleeper here but its up to you to decide.

Oh... for those who continue to post 000 or OOO which one is it.
Please show me what extension(s) utilize NUMBERS. I do NOT know of a single one and if that is true, then idea of 000 (zeros) is a non starter as an argument. If you dont like the extension, then dont like the extension but unless I am missing something... numbers have not been used in any extension that I know of. So you are either printing lies or do not know any better to have an opinion.
But then again... I could be wrong. It has happen once.

"Even as it launched the new generic top level domain .OOO (dot-triple-’O’) globally, becoming the first Indian Internet Registry to do so, Ahmedabad-based Infibeam is planning to file the draft red herring prospectus (DRHP) for its upcoming Rs 500 crore (roughly 83.5 million USD) IPO in two months. (I think they are shooting for March for the actual IPO)
Backed by growth in its flagship e-commerce portal, along with BuildaBazaar and now .OOO, Infibeam is planning to expedite the IPO process. However, talking about the IPO, Vishal Mehta, founder and CEO, Infibeam said that the company will be planning few more initiatives before filing the DRHP. By next fiscal, the company is planning to raise roughly Rs 500 crore from the IPO...."

"Flipkart Vs Infibeam: Who Gets The Traffic
Both were established in 2007 as online book retailers and are emerging now to become the top e-commerce sites in India.
These two Indian startups have a lot in common except for that Flipkart is VC-funded to the tune ofanywhere between $10-15 million while Infibeam is backed by the founder’s money. **Note above IPO for Infibeam**
Both were established in 2007 as online book retailers and have been scaling up at a consistently fast pace to become the top e-commerce sites in India today. According to this interesting graph on Google Trends which depicts the traffic statistics of the two Internet companies, both companies are fighting neck to neck on the traffic front..."

" Infibeam and Bangalore based ODigMa a leading digital marketing company have entered into an agreement under which Infibeam will acquire ODigMa, with 100 % stake and complete ownership. This acquisition will further strengthen and expand the broad range of ecommerce and digital marketing service offerings by Infibeam to its existing and potential merchants and enterprise....
This acquisition will broaden Infibeam's own service capabilities in online space, which the company provides through its B2C platform Infibeam.com (www.infibeam.com); the retail commerce and B2B platform BuildaBazaar.com (www.buildabazaar.com), the commerce technology service.
ODigMa which is currently a profitable entity with more than 400 hundered brands will continue to render its services with current team capabilities..."

•••
"then idea of 000 (zeros) is a non starter as an argument."

No, it's not because it will look like that to a lot of people. It's actually a great argument against it.

"Consider that the extension continues to make small but stead growth and is nearing its way into the top 100 gTLDs."

"it is being promoted heavily in INDIA"

Net of 6 yesterday. 6 according to - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

•••

I am not sure if you are well aware of the ".in" and ".co.in" extensions. They are widely being used in India along with .com. So basically the market for .ooo is a narrow one. They know its going to be a tough fight and thats why they are promoting it heavily, but they are knocking on the wrong door. The domain market for .in and .co.in is already pretty weak (and people in India prefer Bazaar.com over बाजार.com that is Hindi written using English Alphabets making chance of having desired .coms available). Even big players like Audi has Audi.in and Pizzahut operates on Pizzahut.co.in. So from an Indians point of view this extension stands lil chance of growing big in the Indian market.

Last edited:
•••
this extension cannot be simply skipped, looking 2 nice to be skipped. It is all about slightly high price for now especially 'unrealistic' for some premiums. 2nd I cannot imagine rounded 'o' to be confused with oval '0'. Or what about capital i and l letter that look exactly the same and being used/typed in li, ly, il, and many others extensions containing them? .top is on a sale and became 5 times cheaper to reg as it was on one famous registry, hope .ooo will do the same as sooner as better and as a result more interest will be drawn

•••
"then idea of 000 (zeros) is a non starter as an argument."

No, it's not because it will look like that to a lot of people. It's actually a great argument against it.

"Consider that the extension continues to make small but stead growth and is nearing its way into the top 100 gTLDs."

"it is being promoted heavily in INDIA"

Net of 6 yesterday. 6 according to - http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

Please name me one extension that you know of that has NUMBER in it!
For that matter... one can state that .COM looks like .C0M, also .ORG looks a lot like 0RG.
One could even make the argument that .CO looks a lot like C0 or hell IN can look a lot like 1N.

Its a non starter because there are no numbers utilized in domain extension probably because of that exact reason listed above.

As far as it making steady growth... lets extend your research a bit.
6 on the 13th
82 on the 12th
73 on the 11th
146 on the 10th
19 on the 9th
423 in the last 14 days...
Average is about 20+/- per day most of the days leading up to that
So yes... I would say it is making steady growth.

It has nearly 6,300 domains sold at this moment and is less then 3 months from its GA launch.
It is also about 2 months from the IPO in which the owning company plans on making this extension a vital part of its base.
Yes, it is being heavily promoted in INDIA. India has over 1 Billion people (with a B)
Even if a small percentage utilizes the extension (lets say 3% for giggles) that comes out to about 30 million people (or to put it in another context... nearly 1/11th the number of people in the US) and that is just INDIA alone. **Hell 1% is still 10 million... even 1/2% is 5 million, 1/4th of a percent is 2.5 million.**
I suspect that *IF* it were ever to reach that kind of usage, we would see the numbers grow more outside of INDIA as well.

As far as .IN and .CO.IN is concerned (aside from Germany with .DE) ccTLDs are never very popular.
.COM is always prefered but is now over sold when considering it for a country of nearly 1 Billion people who are only NOW getting into the internet with any real force.
The company is banking on its BuildaBazaar (BaB) witch it is pairing with the .OOO extension.
From my understanding, it is going to promote both BaB and .OOO together.
An expected influx of about $85 million (US) to get the job done.

I am not going to argue with anyone here. I am only presenting information for people to consider.
We (domainers) know very little of this extension and my guess is that its because it is NOT being pushed here in the states right now.

Cheers

•••
Don't overestimate the intelligence of the commoner. Not everyone knows that numbers aren't in an extension, the same as some don't believe an extension could possibly be over 4 letters (these are the ppl who refuse to believe most of these BS extensions are real). Humans aren't 1/10th a percent as smart as you are trying to give credit for

•••
Confusing 000 with ooo is a completely valid point. Anyone that disagrees on the basis of extensions typically not having numbers in it, is missing the big picture.

Firstly, how is anyone supposed to know that extensions don't have numbers in it? Most people in the U.S. have no idea ccTLDs exists. U.S. customers barely even know .NET exists. So if .ooo is for India, thats all good and fine... but why have a .ooo over a .in or .co.in? Why even have a .co.in unless you are looking for a Bit.co.in domain hack.

It's another useless extension most likely being pitched as a some kind of .COM alternative for India.

.ooo is low man on the totem pole of choices in India.

Secondly, it does NOT pass the 'radio test' for naming brands.

If you were to tell someone go to A, B, C, dot, o, o, o; how would they know wether to use zeros or letters. Users don't know that numbers aren't in extensions. So statistically you have a 50% chance of a user not being able to find your site through word of mouth advertising.

Again, from a marketing standpoint ".ooo" reminds me of 0/nothing/empty which is a concept that brands wouldn't want to be associated with.

Go tell someone to go to your .ooo site verbally, I can guarantee you that you will have responses that ask the same question, "Is that 000 or ooo?"

This is not a problem for .COM or .ORG, because typically extensions are looked at as pronounceable words or familiar sequences. XYZ is a alpha sequence, XXX means adult, COM is pronounceable, ORG is pronounceable, so what in the world is OOO???

So it's a twofold situation... .ooo is not a solid extension for marketing, and is the last choice you have if you cant get a .COM, .NET, .IN, or .CO.IN. Still you could consider a .CLUB, .MOBI, and the list goes on. I would even choose a .XYZ over a .OOO if I was absolutely forced to.

.ooo = 0 - regfee

Last edited:
•••
Totally agree (L) OOO and (n) 000 to close and will cause confusion. Any other letter than O would have been a better choice.

•••
Radio test and passing the information verbally would surely be "dot triple o, dot then 3 o's"

As opposed to 0, which would be " dot triple zero,dot then 3 zeros"?

Totally different?

Still probably going nowhere.

BTW - Feb 4th for those that picked up single letter.ooo

•••
And why three o's? How could ppl not wonder why there aren't 2 o's or 4?

•••
•••
•••
Please name me one extension that you know of that has NUMBER in it!
All IDN extensions have numbers. That's not the point. Confusing 0 for O or o is ridiculous. First suggestion I'd say is, go and get eye glasses.
but why have a .ooo over a .in or .co.in?
For the same reason having .com over .us.

I'll say it again, don't compare 30 yrs old gTLDs with new gTLDs. If .com was going to be launched in the same period with other 1k gTLDs everyone was going to make fun of it.

•••
For the same reason having .com over .us.

Might as well get a perfectly aged .NET then.

I'll say it again, don't compare 30 yrs old gTLDs with new gTLDs. If .com was going to be launched in the same period with other 1k gTLDs everyone was going to make fun of it.

In 30 years many of us will be dead. It took 20 years for .IN to get 610,000 registrations. So if you want to hold a high risk name for 20 years, possibly 30+ now with the flood of nTLDs that sir is your prerogative.

I'm not against nTLDs, it's just that most of them are beyond being lottery tickets from an investment standpoint. That is unless you are buying hacks, sequential, or extremely premium keywords; which you will undoubtedly pay for in annual regfee.

Where is the benefit of end user ownership when you can just as easily get a .INFO or .MOBI.

I think any non-DNhack domain that is born of these new extensions is doomed; especially for the near term. People will look back at this floodgate release of extensions and laugh, most of them are quite laughable.

IMO, this is an age old 'pump and dump', that will only increase the value of valuable domains.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back