Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
This thread was created to bring a local new story to light, which can be viewed below:

JACKSON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio school district decided Tuesday night to keep a portrait of Jesus hanging in the school where it's been 65 years, denying a federal lawsuit's claim the portrait's display unconstitutionally promotes religion in a public school.

The Jackson City Schools board offered a constitutional justification of its own in voting 4-0 to keep the portrait up in its middle school, saying it must protect students' free speech rights. The vote drew cheers and applause from the dozens of people gathered in the elementary school gymnasium.

Read all of it here: http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-school-b...xzBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0A1Rlc3RfQUZD;_ylv=3

I posted his here @ NP to see what ppl had to say on the issue. As it turns out, this sparked many debates. I've considered closing this thread but after multiple suggestions, I decided to keep it open. Feel free to join in the topics but per forum rules, please refrain from obscene, threatening, rude, or insulting posts.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my opinion in the times when Christian religion is not so popular as before in a Christian countries and sometimes it becomes almost intolerant to be a Christian, it's a good move by Ohio School Board.

•••
In my opinion in the times when Christian religion is not so popular as before in a Christian countries and sometimes it becomes almost intolerant to be a Christian, it's a good move by Ohio School Board.

Say what?

•••
•••

My other halfs parents are staunch Christians and would agree with this. I can't say I personally have an opinion on the matter though :gl:

•••
It should be removed IMO.

The picture clearly represents just ONE of many religious beliefs. That's not to mention those that have no religious beliefs at all. I say to the board, what about everyone else's "freedom of speech/religion?"

•••
Okay, but where was all these offended people during 65 years? :) It seems everything was okay until now.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

My other halfs parents are staunch Christians and would agree with this. I can't say I personally have an opinion on the matter though :gl:

You need to spend more time with your other halfs parents :)

•••
Okay, but where was all these offended people during 65 years? :) It seems everything was okay until now.
Many wife-beaters seem like good guys until the wife speaks up. Even then, many people would choose to not deal with it.

You need to spend more time with your other halfs parents :)

You may not have meant to, but you just insulted his parents. . . sort of like what the photo does to people of other religions, including those paying the taxes that help fund the school.

•••
Many wife-beaters seem like good guys until the wife speaks up. Even then, many people would choose to not deal with it.
Agree with you, but in this situation I guess it's not a good example.
The picture didn't make any harm during 65 years to anybody and you and me - we all know it.
What is happening now (during last years) is just a brainwashing. Some are ok with it, and some not. I am not.

You may not have meant to, but you just insulted his parents. . . sort of like what the photo does to people of other religions, including those paying the taxes that help fund the school.

I didn't insult Sabre's parents, it was a joke, and to make all people sure it's a joke I even put that smiling symbol /:)/ - hope this symbol is not insulting anybody here for now.
The views of Sabre's halfs parents are just similar to mine - and I like it.
BUT, Sabre if you got insulated, excuse me, I didn't mean to.

•••
They should just take the stupid thing down but nah, they have to be all self-righteous ie retarded. I'm sick of it. It's not the pic I don't like (I'm Christian). But the displaying of it is horrible. Seriously, if it was a painting of Lucifer, it'd have been removed long ago. But because it's the "most popular" figure, it's embraced. TAKE THE F***ING THING DOWN! It'll stop all drama & we can move on. I'd just about walk over to the school & destroy it. I could--it's not far away.

The point is: Not EVERYONE is Christian. And some actually are offended by this. One woman actually had staff tell her, "If you don't like this, home-school your kids!" And THAT is supposed to be a solution to offending people? Stupid-ass school board.

"I'm Christian", "They should just take the stupid thing down", "retarded", "TAKE THE F***ING THING DOWN", "I'd just about walk over to the school & destroy it", "Stupid-ass school board"

Wow, you really sound like a nasty hypocrite. You say you're a Christian but you say all those nasty things. You should change your avatar's name from Archangel to Lucifer. It's more suitable to what you think.

I'll bet that if it was a picture of a Gangsta Rapper you'd have no problem at all... right?

The article said:

"The challenge to the Jesus portrait began with a Jan. 2 letter to Howard from the Freedom From Religion Foundation,"

"The board said the portrait is part of a "limited public forum," and that the Jackson schools will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations."

Good for you at the Ohio School Board. You voted 4-0 with the applause of dozens. It's called democracy

•••
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Here is something from their main page:

"The history of Western civilization shows us that most social and moral progress has been brought about by persons free from religion. In modern times the first to speak out for prison reform, for humane treatment of the mentally ill, for abolition of capital punishment, for women's right to vote, for death with dignity for the terminally ill, and for the right to choose contraception, sterilization and abortion have been freethinkers, just as they were the first to call for an end to slavery. The Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are free from religion and are committed to the cherished principle of separation of state and church."

yeah, freethinkers.. I would call them rather destroyers and murderers

•••
Here is something from their main page:

"The history of Western civilization shows us that most social and moral progress has been brought about by persons free from religion. In modern times the first to speak out for prison reform, for humane treatment of the mentally ill, for abolition of capital punishment, for women's right to vote, for death with dignity for the terminally ill, and for the right to choose contraception, sterilization and abortion have been freethinkers, just as they were the first to call for an end to slavery. The Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are free from religion and are committed to the cherished principle of separation of state and church."

yeah, freethinkers.. I would call them rather destroyers and murderers
It's pretty obvious from their name what they stand for. They don't believe in God and now they try to shove their beliefs down everyone's throat and try to act as if they saved the world.

•••
How is taking down a religious picture in a nondenominational public institution shoving "their beliefs down everyone's throat?"

How is leaving the picture up NOT pushing "their" (Christian) beliefs on non-Christians?

•••
to ensure freedom of religion they could let any student put up a picture of religious significance to them. it would be educational. I'm sure it would turn out well.

•••
How is taking down a religious picture in a nondenominational public institution shoving "their beliefs down everyone's throat?"

How is leaving the picture up NOT pushing "their" (Christian) beliefs on non-Christians?
The article said:

"The board said the portrait is part of a "limited public forum," and that the Jackson schools will allow other student clubs to hang portraits appropriate to their organizations."

That basically answers your question

•••
The article said:

That basically answers your question

So if a few friends form a devil worship club, the school will hang a picture of the devil right? Hey, fair is fair!

•••
If it was one of Muhammad, it would have been 0-4 the other way.

Should be taken down, simply because there are different religions and non-religious and this is promoting one over the others. It's a school, not a church. It would be ok in a Catholic school or something.

"The population was 6,397 at the 2010 census."

Figured. It's those lil podunk towns that are usually still trapped in the 50's. After reading the history of the town a little more, it's pretty much a Christian town, Jesus ain't going nowhere.

Last edited:
•••

Figured. It's those lil podunk towns that are usually still trapped in the 50's. After reading the history of the town a little more, it's pretty much a Christian town, Jesus ain't going nowhere.

So you have a problem with "lil podunk towns" that are majority Christian?

And on top of it they are trapped in the 50's.:O How shocking D-: Wow, you really are good at analyzing a town through the internet and in just a few minutes you can tell that they are all trapped in the 50's. The MSM should hire you as an investigative reporter. :gl: They sure are in dire need of them

How evil the people from the 50's must have been. If only someone could send them on a learning vacation to big cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, San Francisco where they can meet all those nice liberal folks, so that they can finally liberate themselves from the "Evil 50's".

•••
Love the fake outrage from somebody living in Portugal. Yes, the towns are a lil backwards (I've seen more than a few), and the 50's weren't great for everybody in the U.S.

•••
Yes, the towns are a lil backwards (I've seen more than a few), and the 50's weren't great for everybody in the U.S.

Backwards? In what? And according to what criteria? Your criteria? :lol:

•••
I think I need to say a few things:

1.) There is no hypocrisy with me. I do not like forcing things onto ppl. So the beliefs that I'm being a hypocrite is an insult to Christianity in as much as the assumption is being given that I should embrace brainwashing of the masses. That's not very Christian-ly (but it's certainly Republican).

2.) Jackson Ohio isn't a large place. It hadn't been reported 65 year ago because ppl her have no belief in the power of the human voice. "This is a small area, not NYC. Only event/newsworthy things happen in bigger areas & if we made a complaint, it'd have been ignored." That's how ppl here think. They had since the founding of this place. It's irrelevant that it wasn't reported earlier since no one saw anything that' come out of it--until recently.

3.) I am a Christian, yes. But I'm tired of how some Christians are. Again, a pic of Lucifer would have been removed the ay it was first hung. If ppl don't wanna believe in God, that's their life and their decision. Ramming it down someone's throat is no way to do it. God gave us a choice--to recognize Him or renounce Him. ppl, though, don't give much of an option these days. So it's no wonder so many non-believers are pissed.

•••
A person that does not defend his Christian values is not a true Christian, plain and simple.

•••
A person that does not defend his Christian values is not a true Christian, plain and simple.

Nonsense. You act like all Christians agree on everything. For example, you being homophobic are against gay marriage. Not all Christians are. And where in the Bible does it talk about pictures in schools? What Christian value are you talking about in regards to this case?

Let me ask you a simple question, Gilsan. Do you think schools should be pushing one religion over another, or should schools be a neutral place, realizing people come from different backgrounds, different faiths etc.? You don't think these Christians who were booing those who wanted it removed, would they be acting differently it there was somebody else up there besides Jesus? I guarantee you, put Muhammed up there, those Christians would lose it. Put somebody up there representing Atheism, same thing.

Schools should be neutral. Now if it was a class on religion, ok. Catholic, religious school ok.

Last edited:
•••
I suppose it might be best if I address a few post one-by-one. So here we go:

It should be removed IMO.

The picture clearly represents just ONE of many religious beliefs. That's not to mention those that have no religious beliefs at all. I say to the board, what about everyone else's "freedom of speech/religion?"

This country was founded on Christian principles. But we’ve also made it via the 1st Amendment to where we can worship as we please. We are not forced into any one belief. But some ppl still like to think they’re doing well by forcing religion at ppl. How is it “forced down our throats”? Just as I said: this is a country founded on Christianity. There is only 1 religion in America. Not 2 or 3--just one... at least according to the Government. I could sit here for hours typing out a loooooooong explanation but I think you’re smart enough to figure it out on your own. I blame Republicans: they’re way too into themselves.

I’ve explained this above: In this dinky city, ppl kept their mouth shut, believing they’d never be heard. That’s how small cities are. The same, more on that below.

"I'm Christian", "They should just take the stupid thing down", "retarded", "TAKE THE F***ING THING DOWN", "I'd just about walk over to the school & destroy it", "Stupid-ass school board"

Wow, you really sound like a nasty hypocrite. You say you're a Christian but you say all those nasty things. You should change your avatar's name from Archangel to Lucifer. It's more suitable to what you think.

I'll bet that if it was a picture of a Gangsta Rapper you'd have no problem at all... right?

The article said:

"The challenge to the Jesus portrait began with a Jan. 2 letter to Howard from the Freedom From Religion Foundation,"

Good for you at the Ohio School Board. You voted 4-0 with the applause of dozens. It's called democracy

Christians are not in the stereotype that you’re implying. You believe, presumably, that all Christians have to cheer for it no matter what. There are many Christians who look passed homosexuality since it’s not them who are homosexual. Yes, some Christians will try to ‘save’ them but many ignore it. God will do as He will. We are not to judge (by doing so would be sinning, as only God can pass Holy judgment and it is reserved for He alone). Some Christians are really the fire-and-brimstone types but millions are reserved and relaxed. And I don’t think God hates those Christians (you make it seem as though He does)

Your question about the rapper makes no sense. Of course ppl wouldn’t care about a rapper. Musicians are mortal ppl who sing and entertain. They are not deities and are not worshipped (not in the sense of praise, only adulation from fans). If you have no arguments, please do not try to invent one that holds no weight and has no point of existing/no meaning.

The painting is in a public area of the school. The “applause of dozens” had been met with the jeers of several million nationwide. Before you bother trying to tell me I’m wrong, you’ve better as hell research & read. There are thousands alone in this city who are pissed & the ACLU is threatening to sue, still.

It's pretty obvious from their name what they stand for. They don't believe in God and now they try to shove their beliefs down everyone's throat and try to act as if they saved the world.

They exist to stop the Government from turning the country into sheep. Not everyone gives a damn about religion yet the Government tries to convert as many ppl as they can to religion (and mostly *gasp!* Christianity)

So if a few friends form a devil worship club, the school will hang a picture of the devil right? Hey, fair is fair!

Too bad the Government isn’t fair. It expects US to be when it wants an advantage but when push comes to shove, their opinion trumps (democracy doesn’t exist in America. That’s the illusion the non-US has about us. Everything is paid for and corrupted). They’ll allow that Lucifer painting, to shut ppl up, and then remove it a day later, claiming the painting is causing a “disruption of the educational process.” That, all you non-Americans, is how America truly is. Whatta great country!

If it was one of Muhammad, it would have been 0-4 the other way.

Should be taken down, simply because there are different religions and non-religious and this is promoting one over the others. It's a school, not a church. It would be ok in a Catholic school or something.

Bingo.

So you have a problem with "lil podunk towns" that are majority Christian?

And on top of it they are trapped in the 50's.:O How shocking D-: Wow, you really are good at analyzing a town through the internet and in just a few minutes you can tell that they are all trapped in the 50's. The MSM should hire you as an investigative reporter. :gl: They sure are in dire need of them

How evil the people from the 50's must have been. If only someone could send them on a learning vacation to big cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, San Francisco where they can meet all those nice liberal folks, so that they can finally liberate themselves from the "Evil 50's".

Lions was pretty much spot-on. His analysis was very accurate.

Love the fake outrage from somebody living in Portugal. Yes, the towns are a lil backwards (I've seen more than a few), and the 50's weren't great for everybody in the U.S.

Again, spot-on. No offense to you, GILSAN, but this is an American matter, going by American laws. This is not relevant to you. It’s an issue of the painting being placed in an area under American jurisdiction. It’s not the mere fact that it’s a painting of Jesus--it’s the laws surrounding it.

You are correct. However, it doesn’t apply to me or this thread. Again, you’re expecting ALL Christians to be of the in-your-face variety. Man, if there was only one view of Christianity, only 1 denomination would exist.

Nonsense. You act like all Christians agree on everything. For example, you being homophobic are against gay marriage. Not all Christians are. And where in the Bible does it talk about pictures in schools? What Christian value are you talking about in regards to this case?

Let me ask you a simple question, Gilsan. Do you think schools should be pushing one religion over another, or should schools be a neutral place, realizing people come from different backgrounds, different faiths etc.? You don't think these Christians who were booing those who wanted it removed, would they be acting differently it there was somebody else up there besides Jesus? I guarantee you, put Muhammed up there, those Christians would lose it. Put somebody up there representing Atheism, same thing.

Schools should be neutral. Now if it was a class on religion, ok. Catholic, religious school ok.

If you ever run for Prez, you’d have my vote.

•••

I totally agree with J.B. Lions.

Public school is no place for proselytizing for ANY religion.

My husband is Jewish (I am not), and he tells me horror stories of growing up in the 1940's and 1950's and being banned from certain beaches with friendly signs like "No Jews or Negroes Allowed."

So I can't imagine that the 40's and 50's were very embracing times for Jews and African-Americans (among other groups, I'm sure). We White, Christian folk have no idea what it's like being excluded in society.

If you want your children to have a religious education, then, by all means, send them to religious schools.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back