Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mkt Sales Leads

Top Member
Impact
Now the dust has settled on the GoDaddy acquisition of Dan, some might be wondering who is the next possible contender to disrupt the industry. What what it's worth, I believe the likely competitor will come from either Namecheap or Dynadot (the latter since their UI/UX is similarly friendly like Dan's).

If you think either company has a chance, what would it take (e.g. in terms of finances and vision/strategic direction) for either to seriously rival GoDaddy?

Secondly, do you think the competitor will be a total newcomer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, that's quite the opposite of what is happening here.
I was referring about domainers to benefit from having more market places.

encourage other marketplaces exists too, at least load your inventory in all marketplaces to motivate them to work harder. Without having inventory how they can prove , they can sell your inventory.. encouraging more marketplaces cetainly helps domainers in the longrun

Last edited:
•••
DAN is a commercial enterprise.
Commercial businesses focus on profitability.
DAN saw the money and took it.
End of the story.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Namecheap, Dynadot, Epik, Efty, Squadhelp and others all have a shot to fill the void.
I'd bet on Namecheap because they have access to Fast Transfer, SEDO MLS and they are working on their in-house auction platform.

Once Namecheap adds customizable landers, single digit commissions, Escrow.com feature and registrant controlled negotiations - they'll receive a flood of inbound transfers. Many were waiting for Dan to become a registrar, including me - plans tossed.

If my URL is registered at Namecheap, I should be able to set up a for sale lander at Namecheap, simple.

•••
Well the GD branding (i.e. 'a GoDaddy brand') is already up on the landing pages. Let's see if sales improve for some...
They need to remove the Trust Pilot crap and replace it with the Afternic / GoDaddy phone numbers, if they don't they will not see too much of an increase.

•••
They need to remove the Trust Pilot crap and replace it with the Afternic / GoDaddy phone numbers, if they don't they will not see too much of an increase.

Yep. The one good thing GoDaddy can add (other than reach) is a number onto the Dan Landers.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
@DaaZ
You urgently need a neat logo and hiring a UI/UX expert.

That website looks like it was built in Frontpage.
I loved FrontPage! 😀

•••
Dan never had any traffic. I don't know if they ever made any sales. We had good DNs listed wth them for years wth no views. They are lucky to be taken over.l

•••
Dan never had any traffic. I don't know if they ever made any sales. We had good DNs listed wth them for years wth no views. They are lucky to be taken over.l

Someone paid them over $70M. How would that work if they don't get traffic or generate sales?

Anecdotal evidence ≠ reality.

•••
What's your examples of "good DN"? Traffic and sales are part of that.

Everything is relative. Dan has a successful business model, both for buyers and sellers that not many can replicate in terms of speed and safety. They take the brunt of the hardship involved in domain exchanges not to mention at a minimal cost. This takes time to establish a profit and they weren't afraid to do so.

Now that they are established, sheesh they were established when they were Undeveloped, probably the smartest purchase in the DN industry, ever.

We have to stop looking at the "next Dan" and focus on the Dan that is because most companies aren't going to take the risk that Dan took on truly being an investors + buyer's platform where everyone is happy.

Why would GD screw this up? They have a perfectly working 3rd party marketplace where they can integrate millions of domains from their old, much to be desired UI and transfers and (non-existent) escrows methods while keeping costs low because of their already massive inventory.

•••
We truly wish DAN + Godaddy a great success story... We also wish DAN 3.0 going to be bigger than DAN 2.0 .

More marketplaces lead to more competition , in turn offering better services to sellers and buyers.

We have started our idea about building DaaZ in 2017, throughout the last 5 years we have been building the DaaZ platform. DaaZ is a 4 year old company and circa a 3 year old domain marketplace.

Just to keep it simple, we are not competing with any one, but we want to make you aware of our presence. We are a pure domain marketplace and we charge just 5% for "Buy It Now" (BIN), 7% for "auctions" and "make an offer" sales.

Kindly note, we do not ask the buyer to pay 2% to 3% card fees required by other marketplaces.

So far 99% of our payouts are processed with in 48 hours.

We want to remain a pure marketplace for years to come. In Summary, we are just one more option for the domainers.

I've enjoyed your service so far, but have been wondering if there any plans to incorporate domain lease/rental or installment payments at DaaZ, like what's offered via DAN and Epik?

Thanks in advance!

•••
I've enjoyed your service so far, but have been wondering if there any plans to incorporate domain lease/rental or installment payments at DaaZ, like what's offered via DAN and Epik?

Thanks in advance!

DaaZ already supports lease to own feature (installments feature - maximum number of installments we are supporting at moment is 36 months) , rental feature is something not supported by DaaZ at moment. We may bring in if we notice the demand for it. our observation is , renting domain name is not a popular one at moment atleast the buyers survery we did 99% are not in favour of using a rented domain name.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you , certainly having extra cash certainly helps at this stage.
Just listed my first domain on your platform. Good so far.

•••
•••
I'll take a peek.
Yep. I like what I see so far.

I believe (with more investment) we might have found the next Dan ...

•••
Yep. I like what I see so far.

I believe (with more investment) we might have found the next Dan ...
Thank you , we are trying our best.. Our intention is to serve the community. A Faster, Better and Cost Effective marketplace is our vision. e.g; At present most of our payouts are with in 48 hours, we would love to get 95% of our payouts done in 12 hours. That's the kind of vision we are working for, it takes time but eventually we will achieve it.

•••
I checked DaaZ, and, on a spot view, liked it. All except the VAT thing and VAT invoices (my) to DaaZ buyers. I am not in EU or UK and have nothing to do with the EU/UK VAT. Can DaaZ simplify the things by 1) "purchasing" the domain from me - no VAT involved and 2) selling the domain to enduser with or without VAT, depending on buyers location, adding VAT if required, and issuing any and all invoices from DaaZ / with your VAT id which is what the buyers need, at least EU-based buyers/ so my non-EU company would not be included at all into the docs the buyers may require? It is how afternic works for example, so should be possible imo

Last edited:
•••
I checked DaaZ, and, on a spot view, liked it. All except the VAT thing and VAT invoices (my) to DaaZ buyers. I am not in EU or UK and have nothing to do with the EU/UK VAT. Can DaaZ simplify the things by 1) "purchasing" the domain from me - no VAT involved and 2) selling the domain to enduser with or without VAT, depending on buyers location, adding VAT if required, and issuing any and all invoices from DaaZ / with your VAT id which is what the buyers need, at least EU-based buyers/ so my non-EU company would not be included at all into the docs the buyers may require? It is how afternic works for example, so should be possible imo
Thank you Tony, your suggestion is noted. We will review internally and confirm back to you on this one.

•••
Dynadot could make some noise if they wanted to IMO , they have stayed within their comfort zone , there is nothing wrong that . But they could expand and bring some great assets to domainers IMO .

•••
Namecheaps going to be the thing that grows so big nobody can acquire them.

•••
Looking at Sedo, over 10 years on Dan in the industry, and they still need to constantly work and improve their services to satisfy new trends and demand, while maintaining trust. This stuff takes perseverance, risk and patience, not the qualities we always see in new startups.
Perhaps Sedo will give them a run for their money. Adding the 2-factor authentication might be a good start. They do have a really nice search engine for categories of domains in their listings. And they are in Cambridge, Massachusetts, right near MIT. So they should have some really great talent to tap to help make them even more successful.

•••
Back