IT.COM

opinion The Unfair Advantage, A Domainers Life

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Most domain name investors are living on hopes and dreams. They want to buy low, sell high, just like everybody else. Every day they put in countless hours of research, considering the risks of specific domains and investing the little money they do have to fulfill this dream of making it big.
What I don’t like is an unfair advantage over any other bidder on any auction system. Yes, finances will often be the largest barrier but when “other” factors come into play… it’s simply not fair.
I reached out to Paul Nicks of GoDaddy with a few questions and his thoughts in regards to API bidding.
I personally think that API bidding on domain name auction platforms does not provide a level playing field for all, which the auction services should be striving for. I do not consider proxy bidding and API bidding on the same playing field. Closeout snipping is also heavily at an advantage of an API bidder, who can send several calls to “buy” per second, when a manual bidder can not do that.
What happens to PendingDelete auctions when the bidder doesn’t pay or a charge back occurs after the auction? I’d hope the auction would be rerun after the non-payment and the “the house” doesn’t just get to keep the domain for basically free (reg fee). Are fake bidder accounts created just to initiate a non-paying bidder?
In my opinion, if I were involved in the bidding of a domain auction and didn’t get a chance to either participate in a reauction or have first crack if I was the second highest bidder when a non-paying bidder situation occurred, I would feel cheated. Not fair...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
never knew about this API bidding option. so just to clarify for the idiot that I am. API bidding is like a bidding software installed on a server and set to auto bid on auctions last minute in split seconds to snipe the auction and get in at the lowest price possible for the domain?

That right? and this is "allowed" or is going "unchecked"? is there proof of this? because I sure do see it when I put in a bid. I'll lose buy like $5 or something idiotic like that.

NOT FAIR INDEED!:xf.eek::jawdrop::wtf::meh:>:(

•••
Hey folks, I'd be happy to discuss API bidding or our stance on NOT taking any inventory from expiry for ourselves.

@Avtar629 GoDaddy Auctions does allow developers to utilize an API to bid on domains. As I told Jamie, the decision still needs to be made as to whether and what price to bid on a domain, even if automated the logic needs to be built and risk/reward measured. In order to assist non-API bidders we give the ability to place a proxy (where we auto-bid for you) and we extend the auction whenever a bid is placed at the end, giving humans a chance to counter-bid.

•••
Hey folks, I'd be happy to discuss API bidding or our stance on NOT taking any inventory from expiry for ourselves.

@Avtar629 GoDaddy Auctions does allow developers to utilize an API to bid on domains. As I told Jamie, the decision still needs to be made as to whether and what price to bid on a domain, even if automated the logic needs to be built and risk/reward measured. In order to assist non-API bidders we give the ability to place a proxy (where we auto-bid for you) and we extend the auction whenever a bid is placed at the end, giving humans a chance to counter-bid.

ohhhh so this whole API being mentioned here is a service provided by Godaddy to the bidder? so how does it work? Bidder sets aside a certain amount with Godaddy? or just give Godaddy their credit card info and tell Godaddy the highest price they are willing to pay for a domain at expired auction or any auction?

never knew this! how do I set this up? there were a few domains that I definitely would have bid more than $12 on. I simply use to bid and forgot to come back to check. plus even if Godaddy notified me via email. my email is swamped by hundreds of spam. it get buried. would be nice to have this option.

although it could become an expensive hobby.:xf.grin:

•••
As long as everyone has the opportunity to utilize the API then I see no problems with it - which I'm pretty sure Godaddy does.

Unlike NameJet's system, you have to be a big spender to have access to their API, as I was told one time.

•••
As long as everyone has the opportunity to utilize the API then I see no problems with it - which I'm pretty sure Godaddy does.

Unlike NameJet's system, you have to be a big spender to have access to their API, as I was told one time.

say that again? Godaddy doesn't want just any run of the mill domainer or random bidder using their API? is this true? so what qualifies me to use the API then? $$$$$?

•••
ohhhh so this whole API being mentioned here is a service provided by Godaddy to the bidder? so how does it work? Bidder sets aside a certain amount with Godaddy? or just give Godaddy their credit card info and tell Godaddy the highest price they are willing to pay for a domain at expired auction or any auction?

never knew this! how do I set this up? there were a few domains that I definitely would have bid more than $12 on. I simply use to bid and forgot to come back to check. plus even if Godaddy notified me via email. my email is swamped by hundreds of spam. it get buried. would be nice to have this option.

although it could become an expensive hobby.:xf.grin:

Um, I think what you are describing is proxy-bidding which is available to everyone. Just enter your max price as your bid and we will bid on your behalf by the minimum amount unless/until your proxy amount is hit.

An API is way for a developer to setup a bidding program that allows them to bid without having to continually login to GoDaddy Auctions and use our interface. So, using our API, a company can create a bespoke bidding system to help them manage large quantities of bids.

•••
say that again? Godaddy doesn't want just any run of the mill domainer or random bidder using their API? is this true? so what qualifies me to use the API then? $$$$$?
You have to show a need, and the ability to use it responsibly. We do not allow, for instance, someone to setup a 3rd party auction site using our API, essentially sub-syndicating our inventory.

•••
So, yeah, it's a disadvantage to us who are not 100% computer saavy (or rich enough to pay a programmer).

•••
Um, I think what you are describing is proxy-bidding which is available to everyone. Just enter your max price as your bid and we will bid on your behalf by the minimum amount unless/until your proxy amount is hit.

An API is way for a developer to setup a bidding program that allows them to bid without having to continually login to GoDaddy Auctions and use our interface. So, using our API, a company can create a bespoke bidding system to help them manage large quantities of bids.

I see. essentially it's the same thing except one is Godaddy in house and thee other isn't. why would anyone go out of their wait to set up such an API system when I would think the Godaddy proxy bidding (without checking it myself right now) would seem sufficient no?

Thee API option just seems expensive for the average domainer.

•••
So, yeah, it's a disadvantage to us who are not 100% computer saavy (or rich enough to pay a programmer).

freelancer.com is easy enough to find cheap. but even then...I just don't get it. why? so the API has the benefit of essentially being faster than the Godaddy proxy bidding option?

that has to be the obvious reason why anyone would bother yes?

•••

Hello Paul - Thank you for discussing this... I am curious as to why GoDaddy does not let us know how many API's are being used?......It seems, at minimum, if there is a level playing field than we should be able to know what and how many programs we are bidding against. Best and Thanks!

•••
There simply is not a level playing field in the domaining industry. There are so many shady practices going on that put smaller domainers at a huge disadvantage.

•••
Hello Paul - Thank you for discussing this... I am curious as to why GoDaddy does not let us know how many API's are being used?......It seems, at minimum, if there is a level playing field than we should be able to know what and how many programs we are bidding against. Best and Thanks!

We don't release any stats on number of bidders, either via the website or API. I don't see how knowing a certain number of possible bidders changes the amount you are willing to pay for one specific domain.

•••

Welcome to earth.

•••
We don't release any stats on number of bidders, either via the website or API. I don't see how knowing a certain number of possible bidders changes the amount you are willing to pay for one specific domain.
I understand your point and partially agree, although I just like to know what I am up against.

•••
You have to watch their API bidding scripts. I put in a proxy bid $200 higher and the script bid up $20
every 5 minutes. I had to watch the screen 40 minutes to see the script pass my bid. I added another $200 bid higher and thankfully their script stopped bidding. They try to wear you down.

How about Godaddy implement a texting message sent to my phone when my bid has been passed. Then I can take a lunch break in between bids.

•••
@Paul Nicks - I have a multi-computer setup on my workdesk. Can I use my one GD auctions account logged in to several computers at the same time to bid on auctions and buy closeout domains? Or would this activity set off any red flags in the auction system? I currently only use one computer to bid. However, if I can be logged in to my GD auctions on all of them at the same time, and send in bids from whichever computer I'm working on, that would be a lot more convenient. Can you clarify how the GD system considers such activity, where an account is logged to different computers, and bids are coming in from different computers at the same time? Is this something to avoid or can a GD Auctions account be used in this manner without setting off any red flags?

Also, perhaps somewhat similarly, can two people be logged into the same GD Auctions account at the same time in different locations, and bid on different auctions on behalf of one entity, such two employees bidding on different domains for the company that own that auctions account?

•••
You have to watch their API bidding scripts. I put in a proxy bid $200 higher and the script bid up $20
every 5 minutes. I had to watch the screen 40 minutes to see the script pass my bid. I added another $200 bid higher and thankfully their script stopped bidding. They try to wear you down.

How about Godaddy implement a texting message sent to my phone when my bid has been passed. Then I can take a lunch break in between bids.

They have an app that does that. It's called Godady Investor in itunes.

•••
They have an app that does that. It's called Godady Investor in itunes.

Thx Mr-X, was just going to point John888 to the same thing. John, look for the GoDaddy Investor app (works for iPhone or Android) and you will get push notifications when you are outbid.

•••

We do have that if you use the GoDaddy investor app available on Apple or Android with push notifications you can be notified if you are outbid that a couple people brought up which shows me that we can do a better job getting information on our tools and resources. We did launch a page in beta which we are working on updating which will add new info and other languages besides English. You can see it if you choose your location as USA on our site now, you can change that in the top left side of the website. Then go to https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-investing
We are using this page as an area we can use to better communicate with domain investors and let them know about things that will help them.
Of course we are on the forum as well and if you have any questions I am happy to help in any way I can.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler Can you PLEASE tell them to work on a mobile version of the website. It simply does not work well on a smartphone. I use my phone 99% of the time. The lack of a working mobile site makes it impossible to do anything which keeps me away.

•••
@Joe Styler Can you PLEASE tell them to work on a mobile version of the website. It simply does not work well on a smartphone. I use my phone 99% of the time. The lack of a working mobile site makes it impossible to do anything which keeps me away.
Godaddy is a responsive site. Is there a particular page that is not working correctly?

•••
Godaddy is a responsive site. Is there a particular page that is not working correctly?
No, pretty much the whole website. Samsung S8 & S5

Actually, I think I know the problem. I prefer working with it in desktop mode, which doesn't work well.

Last edited:
•••

There's an app for that too. Godaddy website app works 100% on the iphone. You can even check your auction account.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back