IT.COM

The next DAN.com...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So I am surprised I haven't heard yet but I must say, I am surprised no one has tried to take DAN's place.

I feel like setting up the marketplace itself wouldn't be too bad. It would really be the risk involved with processing payments and transferring domains.

I am just surprised that 10 websites didn't pop up offering 4%/9% commissions as soon as GoDaddy announced the new pricing schemes for their platforms.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One improvement would be to offer Bitcoin payments to domain name owners. Names are virtual assets, and Bitcoin is a bank free virtual internet payment option. I know it is fairly volatile at the moment, but you don't have to hold Bitcoin (unless you want to), just buy it from an exchange when you want to make a payment.
Operating costs are very higher to support BTC for number of reasons and also regulations are also getting tighter for marketplaces accepting BTC. With 5% success fee its not viable model as loosing 5% for each sale.

We are exploring all possible options to bring the support , we will announce the details in the right time.

•••
squadhelp,
just received an investment of $10 mio.

•••
•••
YES!!! Much more reasonable. Thank you for clarifying.

dunno about min but for sure if under 500 u pay fee...email em to confirm... 500 is the magic number

•••
We have been trying to develop a good marketplace since 2017, its close to 6 years effort now.
We launched in August 2019, since then we are taking feedback and keep improving.

Certainly we are working near 24/7 to support the domaining community. We dont have registrar ambitions at moment, clearly we are looking to improve further on marketplace offerings only.
Well, your efforts are appreciated, to try to provide an alternative to the other major marketplaces.
Hopefully, you will be able to have some impact.

Last edited:
•••
Nice. Have you had many domainers sign up for your platform?

No, just a few. I mainly had it developed to use for my own website and made an agreement with my coder that I could resell the platform, but I didn’t really do much to promote it. I already run 2 other companies, and I just didn’t have the badwidth to dedicate to that.

I do love having my own domain-sales website and I sell many more domains directly than I do on Afternic or Sedo, which saves me a lot in commissions. I definitely recommend it.

•••
Dan was never good enough. Currently it is great to make your domains not resolve and not sell.
I don't trust Daaz, because they had an auction, they accepted lots of junk, but refused to include a premium one, and maybe they bought it later.
Sedo is great for lowballs, and donating your contact info for nothing.
All can be great once a deal-payment is made. But what happens before a payment, is the problem. An agent makes a lowball, and you never know it, can't do followup etc.

Create your own landing page.
Noone should know it is your landing page.
How can this be done.
Epik was good, until it was not.
Dynadot and others should create indexable default landing pages without ppc junk, or captcha.

•••
Do you keep privacy off on your domains as well?

If someone is looking to buy your domain, wouldn't checking Whois be a logical step for them? And, if they see that your lander email is the same as the Whois email contact for the domain, does that give added credibility fo the validity of your lander? And to you as a seller?

Congrats on developinig your own domain-sale website and the sales. Sounds like you have a winning strategy!

I have my website listed in the Whois information for most of my domains. I think it is a logical thing to do. I think that most end-users that are interested in a specific domain will type it in to see what is there, so I think a nice professional landing page is most important.

•••
auctions nice but u need exposure and bids.. sadly running auctions on most places like sav... dyna or even high traffic like gd auctions yields zero bids and results for most people.. in short auctions for most are utterly useless.or 5usd or 10usd sales like on np
There you go! I was strongly considering @Dynadot but i believe; have $500 min to cash-out correct me if im wrong, strongly considering Dynadot then Sav.. that order. Wait, DropCatch Private Auctions over Sav, i’m sorry; namebright and dropcatch around longer!

Great ideas, despite not what OP looking for;
try new things; in place of DAN! Thanks Alcy; i forgot about these platform; and really wanted to try them.

Last edited:
•••
I withdrew $300 from Dynadot to my PayPal around this time last year (from a $500 sale), don't know if anything has changed since. I thought their minimum payout was $100 from years ago.
YES!!! Much more reasonable. Thank you for clarifying.

•••
Is the Namcheap "Spaceship" marketplace on permanent hold?

•••
dunno about min but for sure if under 500 u pay fee...email em to confirm... 500 is the magic number
I recall they did this for U.S. only.
If you are out U.S, it might still be $500.
It’s a touchy point, but i’m unaffected : )

If you out U.S., then i’m now legitimately confused, @alcy

Last edited:
•••
Yes, Dan, in my opinion, used to process transactions faster, than now and attracted a commission of 9%. I am glad that there is still an opportunity to make a deal through dan for 5% (your lead)

But literally recently launched (not completely, they promised to launch fully soon) dn.com
landing pages design is similar, commission is 9%

I hope that the marketplace was created really for the sale and purchase of domains and not for protecting the dn.com domain (I heard that companies often register to protect valuable domains to make it difficult to select a domain

•••
Either dn.com's page is fake or they are updating it as they go. There's some grammar errors and a number of their footer links don't actually go anywhere.

•••
People smart enough to launch anything would know that without domainers pointing their domains to your new system, your business will fail. GoDaddy's policy of giving a 10% discount if your domain is pointed to them, is enough to keep most domainers pointing their names to them. Even domainers that didn't point all their names to a gd qualifying nameserver, they pointed the high value names or names likely to sell. What do they have left to point elsewhere? Their low end names.

Fact is that most people who never had websites have no clue what it takes to get traffic. Almost every website online now gets 0 hits a day from humans. You could build a platform with landers that look amazing, but because of the gd policy, you will fail at getting enough valuable domains on your platform to make your business viable.

Very few aftermarket domain sales happen a day (not including auctions, drops). Think about how many domains you need pointed to your system to have a chance at some of those sales.

The whole Dan sold for 70 million, and the chances of you becoming 1% of what dan was is very low. You are better off investing that energy in something with better odds.

I agree the chances are rare for the average wantrapreneur but usually they show up anyway. I am surprised that a larger domainer hasn't started something yet.

There are plenty of other marketplaces out there as already mentioned like Sav, Dynadot, Namecheap, Namesilo (theirs is broken for me now). But I feel like DAN's advantage was that they were not a registrar and were therefore a type of "neutral ground" for selling.

•••
To show "for sale" on your domains and receive inquiries, NamePros Parking is 0% commission:

For buying and selling domains, NamePros Marketplace is also 0% commission:

Both services are being improved to make them more useful, so please feel free to provide suggestions:

Thanks!
Yes, I already spawned and added my domain toncointrading.com yesterday, if you add the ability to make a deal with your mediation for 5%, I think many on the forum used ...

•••
It's a shame that GD won't work with Dan now that they have bought it. Dan sold a couple of £x,xxx names for me recently, and they paid me in Sterling. GD is trying to negotiate the purchase of a £xx,xxx name from me, but they refuse to accept any quote other than US dollars, and I will not aaccept dolars in the current market. It surprises me, as I would have thought they would have tried to make a bit extra from the currency conversion, and used some of the £s that they must earn from registration fees.

•••
I am just surprised that 10 websites didn't pop up offering 4%/9% commissions as soon as GoDaddy announced the new pricing schemes for their platforms.
As mentioned, there are a few, with Daaz being one of the main ones that isn't connected to a registrar. However, it takes a significant marketing budget (and time) to get recognised.

•••
Sedo landers seem pretty decent. The limitations here are that there is still a very large message about privacy and cookies, that may not be helpful up front for initial impressions about the lander. Also, the description that you provide is not seen unless the person signs up and proceeds in Sedo as a member.

Dan has a nice feature where the lander is seen in full, unobstructed by a privacy/cookie message and allows a full view of your personal domain description up front, without signing into their site.

•••
Vote for Squadhelp. When they could expand partnership with most of registrar or they provide similar services like SedoMLS or Afternic Fast Transfer , SH might be going to be real competitor to play the games
Wonder what % of inventory is already overlapping. Bet its 70%+ or so of the said names are already @ Sedo/Afternic and syndicated throughout the registrar channel - Just my $0.02

•••
Dynadot and others should create indexable default landing pages without ppc junk, or captcha.
Dynadot really could perhaps be an industry leader at this point, if they proceeded with the landers without the ppc. But, in terms of captcha, wouldn't that be helpful to increase the likelihood of valid offers? Likewise, wouldn't having the email verification as well be best, to help further make certain the offers are legit?

•••
Dynadot really could perhaps be an industry leader at this point, if they proceeded with the landers without the ppc. But, in terms of captcha, wouldn't that be helpful to increase the likelihood of valid offers? Likewise, wouldn't having the email verification as well be best, to help further make certain the offers are legit?

I forgot to say ... landing pages..with contact form. Captcha can be good when people send messages, but not when bots and people visit a domain.

(Also, most contact forms on web sites seem to not work. For example they say, captcha answer is wrong, but there was no captcha question. Big sites make such mistakes as well. Maybe webdesigners/templates are doing more than just designing: creating backdoors, redirecting messages, showing affiliate links etc.)

Dynadot can claim: we can't offer such low prices without ppc. No, they can make a lot more from sales.
If Epik works, Dynadot would work as well.
Also they must add some tracking, just like Epik does.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo: their landing pages look nice, the commission is 10%:
https://sedo.com/us/about-us/news-p...le-template-brings-attention-to-your-domains/

Squadhelp standard listings: many features and great-looking landing pages for just 7.5% commission:
  • 7.5% commission
  • No pricing restrictions