IT.COM

The next DAN.com...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So I am surprised I haven't heard yet but I must say, I am surprised no one has tried to take DAN's place.

I feel like setting up the marketplace itself wouldn't be too bad. It would really be the risk involved with processing payments and transferring domains.

I am just surprised that 10 websites didn't pop up offering 4%/9% commissions as soon as GoDaddy announced the new pricing schemes for their platforms.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So I am surprised I haven't heard yet but I must say, I am surprised no one has tried to take DAN's place.

I feel like setting up the marketplace itself wouldn't be too bad. It would really be the risk involved with processing payments and transferring domains.

I am just surprised that 10 websites didn't pop up offering 4%/9% commissions as soon as GoDaddy announced the new pricing schemes for their platforms.
25% for afternic sales if not using their dns is a mess...

•••
Just a few months back at least two different entities were talking about being an alternative. They have gone silent and thrown in the towel I guess.

The only one who has stepped up besides the allready existing Sedo and Efty is…NamePros. Whoda thunk it… 💪

DaaZ started its project in 2017 and serving domaining community for last 4 years and we are growing 25% month on month in sales volumes from last 3 months.

We are a low priced marketplace - BIN transaction cost just 5% . Make an offer / Auctions - 7% and Lease to own - 8% - certainly the low priced services

We are one of the fastest growing marketplaces , we are not running expensive ad campaigns as its a boot strapped start-up at moment. The moment we raise our first round of funding, certainly we can run ad campaigns and specially support forums like namepros.

Last edited:
•••
Well, your efforts are appreciated, to try to provide an alternative to the other major marketplaces.
Hopefully, you will be able to have some impact.
Thank you, we will do everything possible to serve the community. We will improve DaaZ every day to be one of the best marketplaces.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe the new Dan will be NamePros? B-)

I have no inside information, I just write stuff here, but I wonder if down the road the new landers just introduced could be a step to something grander. People already are asking for various features, such as BIN prices, minimum, different currencies, etc.

NamePros is the world's largest domain community. Imagine if together, while we are individually each a rather small total market, together we could easily offer the largest selection of names anywhere.

If we policed ourselves to keep out bad actors and unethical practices, is there really any reason why a collectively run marketplace could not succeed? Sure there would be many, many issues to work out, some thorny.

Maybe this is, as OP and others in thread hint, the ideal time to start a new domain marketplace. AI is poised to revolutionize search and presentation of domain names.

Anyway, just my Sunday morning thoughts.

-Bob

•••
To show "for sale" on your domains and receive inquiries, NamePros Parking is 0% commission:

For buying and selling domains, NamePros Marketplace is also 0% commission:

Both services are being improved to make them more useful, so please feel free to provide suggestions:

Thanks!

•••
DaaZ.com!
Unlike DAN, they have auctions, AUCTIONS!
sorry, this wasnt what looking for, but up-and-comer, like DAN. Good luck!

auctions nice but u need exposure and bids.. sadly running auctions on most places like sav... dyna or even high traffic like gd auctions yields zero bids and results for most people.. in short auctions for most are utterly useless.or 5usd or 10usd sales like on np

•••
people think those public.auctions will be tons easy.money... when in the end they.do no more than few bucks like on np... for every avg.domainer...

•••
I recall they did this for U.S. only.
If you are out U.S, it might still be $500.
It’s a touchy point, but i’m unaffected : )

If you out U.S., then i’m now legitimately confused, @alcy

From Dynadot Payout Policy, looks like:
  1. Minimum payout is $100
  2. For international accounts (outside US) payout less than $500 is possible, but may result in additional fees. And looks like it's just PayPal fees, not from Dynadot themselves.
    1680480700914.png

•••
I was strongly considering @Dynadot but i believe; have $500 min to cash-out correct me if im wrong
I withdrew $300 from Dynadot to my PayPal around this time last year (from a $500 sale), don't know if anything has changed since. I thought their minimum payout was $100 from years ago.

•••
As mentioned, there are a few, with Daaz being one of the main ones that isn't connected to a registrar. However, it takes a significant marketing budget (and time) to get recognised.
We have been trying to develop a good marketplace since 2017, its close to 6 years effort now.
We launched in August 2019, since then we are taking feedback and keep improving.

Certainly we are working near 24/7 to support the domaining community. We dont have registrar ambitions at moment, clearly we are looking to improve further on marketplace offerings only.

•••
•••
Maybe the new Dan will be NamePros? B-)

I have no inside information, I just write stuff here, but I wonder if down the road the new landers just introduced could be a step to something grander. People already are asking for various features, such as BIN prices, minimum, different currencies, etc.
Yep. That's what I've suggested here. It's not really too big of a leap to make, but it probably depends on NP's appetite for that to happen.

•••
It is my understanding that Sav.com has for-sale landers with 4% commissions. I have my own landing pages, but if I didn’t I would probably utilize those.

•••
What made DAN successful was, i believe, 3 things:

1. landers. like, they had a BIN users could redirect their names to with PAYMENT OPTIONS for buyers. It was a legit marketplace that the sellers could control... You also had convos with negotiations... so it sort of gave the air that it was YOUR lander that you could control and you were interacting with buyers. The overall UX/UI was awesome.
2. Free. Loss leader. Not sure if DAN's plan was to sell out this whole time... but yeah they took a huge loss at the start offering super low commissions. This worked because people flocked to their service.
3. Marketing. Because of #2, ppl marketed for them, but they also marketed. They made a name for themselves on NP...

So yeah, Reza knew what he was doing... i can only wonder if the loss leader's eventual goal was the sell-out though... because perhaps those super low commissions really weren't enough for any profit in the long term.

•••
People smart enough to launch anything would know that without domainers pointing their domains to your new system, your business will fail. GoDaddy's policy of giving a 10% discount if your domain is pointed to them, is enough to keep most domainers pointing their names to them. Even domainers that didn't point all their names to a gd qualifying nameserver, they pointed the high value names or names likely to sell. What do they have left to point elsewhere? Their low end names.

Fact is that most people who never had websites have no clue what it takes to get traffic. Almost every website online now gets 0 hits a day from humans. You could build a platform with landers that look amazing, but because of the gd policy, you will fail at getting enough valuable domains on your platform to make your business viable.

Very few aftermarket domain sales happen a day (not including auctions, drops). Think about how many domains you need pointed to your system to have a chance at some of those sales.

The whole Dan sold for 70 million, and the chances of you becoming 1% of what dan was is very low. You are better off investing that energy in something with better odds.

•••
cause most used and use dan for.add lead..which is.still low 5percent. now they just added lto at 9percent max 1yr..
so dan still leads.where it matters and doesnt need replacing by nobody... what really will or would kI'll dan is raising this 5percent ... and they know it... why u think they didn't touch it.

Last edited:
•••
DaaZ.com!
Unlike DAN, they have auctions, AUCTIONS!
sorry, this wasnt what looking for, but up-and-comer, like DAN. Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
We've entered testing for beta launching NameGulf.com soon, stay tuned!

Last edited:
•••
Just a few months back at least two different entities were talking about being an alternative. They have gone silent and thrown in the towel I guess.

The only one who has stepped up besides the allready existing Sedo and Efty is…NamePros. Whoda thunk it… 💪

•••
Vote for Squadhelp. When they could expand partnership with most of registrar or they provide similar services like SedoMLS or Afternic Fast Transfer , SH might be going to be real competitor to play the games

•••
Surprised no one has mentioned NameSilo's Namelot.
I'm having major problems logging into my Name Silo account as a result of their new authentication process.

•••
Sedo: their landing pages look nice, the commission is 10%:
https://sedo.com/us/about-us/news-p...le-template-brings-attention-to-your-domains/

Squadhelp standard listings: many features and great-looking landing pages for just 7.5% commission:
  • 7.5% commission
  • No pricing restrictions