Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well it appears as though it's happening. The launch of .land, .bike, .this, and .that is here and many more to come.

Show off your new .whatevers here and discuss why these are or are not good investments. Keep it cool, calm, and productive :)

I'll start with my new regs... absolutely none!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How many of you are running critical anything on anything :)

I see most of them as hacks - but with some meaning. That makes them potentially useful, potentially workable... but not necessarily valuable on investment basis. That said, I still think that .COMs are overpriced for many a mediocre name.

Every name I looked at was just a stupid hack. I really wanted to own lala.land because I always wanted to own my local geo.

I also had my eye on lala.land, but it's registry reserved.

•••
OK OK :)

But how many of you are running critical business websites on alt TLDs ?

I for one am and will continue to do so. Also work with .com as well. Whatever shoe is fitting for the opportunity.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

O.com.
I mean O.co :hehe:

The radio test is where the new extensions will have a hard time.

For goodness sakes, you can make better arguments than this. Hyphens suck for the same reason, but you can still make money on a hyphenated .com website that relies on SEO and SEM to bring customers. I've heard some absolutely absurd radio ads trying their best to help listeners spell their long ass URL that ends in com, problem is the listener is lost before they even got to the dot regardles of the TLD on the end. I think of all the sites I visit on a regular basis and don't recall any running a radio commercial stating their URL, sorta makes this argument a red herring._\|/_

Ghosts of mobi debates past haunting these new tld threads. :ghost: Folks wanting to dev are happy to get solid keywords for their websites, inexperienced domainers wanting to get rich quick on ground floor speculation hoping its the early '90's once again, experienced domainers working a decent margin during the hype phase, and .com domainers mostly failing to distinguish between them and dismissing all things new just because it's different.

•••
MedicalDoctor.Directory & MDs.Directory

Who knows.....lol

•••
The radio test is where the new extensions will have a hard time.

What part of www.free.beer or www.free.music is hard to remember or understand i wonder? I think once people hear the www. they understand it is a website and over time as it becomes more common people will look if the advertised site is to their needs/likings

•••
Mesothelioma.Technology

Nice Keyword anyway...

•••
What part of free DOT beer or free DOT music is hard to remember or understand i wonder? I think once people hear the www they understand it is a website and over time as it becomes more common people will look if the advertised site is to their needs/likings

My thoughts exactly.

With 1000 new gTLDs and the registration numbers shown at RegistrarStats, even if only 5% of the registered domain names get developed, there will be significant penetration in Google's search results.

Amazon has already started redirecting their career pages to amazon DOT jobs (with a new logo as well). They could have easily used amazonjobs DOT com.

But I don't think this means that .coms are going to reduce in number or value. All of our .com investments are quite safe, IMO. Like scandiman mentioned, its not a zero sum game :D

•••
Amazon has already started redirecting their career pages to amazon DOT jobs (with a new logo as well). They could have easily used amazonjobs DOT com.

Is this a new move for Amazon? they've owned the domain since the start of the .jobs tld (2005)

•••
Is this a new move for Amazon? they've owned the domain since the start of the .jobs tld (2005)

Not sure. I did not notice it when I visited the site a few months back. But I was not looking for non-coms then ;)

•••
What part of www.free.beer or www.free.music is hard to remember or understand i wonder?
No part, for those with common sense and logic.

Like people are able, were able, to 'learn' and adapt to the fact that Main Street, is not the same road as Main Place, nor the same street as Main Avenue, or even Main Drive, even though Main Street is the most popular known street. Even if they drive down the wrong one 'once', they'll remember the right road for what they want the next time. People even figured out that if the 800 number they dialed was wrong, they'll dial the 877 (right) number the next time. (Amazing how that human mind can adapt!)

So many Domainers are stuck in a 'people only do or go to the 'one' popular address or phone number, and can never, will never, be able to correct their mistake to go to the right place' that they want. They went to the 'we thought it was' business, so, according to 'domainer logic', those people must now buy or use that service on that site because...that's where they landed!! :rolleyes: good grief.

Yes for many there's only 'one' path in the forest, because.... well 'that's the way it's been!" Well, least us not forget, for 'centuries' it was believed the earth could 'only be' flat, and that electric horse will never replace the since the time of man horse and wagons. ..oops.

Innovation is not about what is today, it's about what could be tomorrow!

•••
Nothing innovative about extensions, poor selling ones at that.

•••
•••
No part, for those with common sense and logic.

Like people are able, were able, to 'learn' and adapt to the fact that Main Street, is not the same road as Main Place, nor the same street as Main Avenue, or even Main Drive, even though Main Street is the most popular known street. Even if they drive down the wrong one 'once', they'll remember the right road for what they want the next time. People even figured out that if the 800 number they dialed was wrong, they'll dial the 877 (right) number the next time. (Amazing how that human mind can adapt!)

So many Domainers are stuck in a 'people only do or go to the 'one' popular address or phone number, and can never, will never, be able to correct their mistake to go to the right place' that they want. They went to the 'we thought it was' business, so, according to 'domainer logic', those people must now buy or use that service on that site because...that's where they landed!! :rolleyes: good grief.

Yes for many there's only 'one' path in the forest, because.... well 'that's the way it's been!" Well, least us not forget, for 'centuries' it was believed the earth could 'only be' flat, and that electric horse will never replace the since the time of man horse and wagons. ..oops.

Innovation is not about what is today, it's about what could be tomorrow!
words of a hardcore mobi man...there was a study done some years back that people will wait on average 7 seconds for a site to load before leaving and going elsewhere.

what you say makes sense but what i don't get is that logic should dictate that it shouldn't matter what the domain ends with, yet it does...but why? why has .com dominated? why are people willing to spend so much to acquire them yet the .net or .biz is ignored? it doesn't make sense really yet thats how it is.

i think some of these new gtld domains have some potential but they are a bit ugly to say with that DOT in the middle of everything and also quite limiting. if a gtld for your niche doesn't exist, well too bad for you.

i still see no advantages to using one of these domains over anything else. stupid comparisons to advancements in technology make zero sense.

Last edited:
•••
When I joined the forum has nothing to do with when I started anything. Also I have never said anything about Domaining. I wouldn't know the first thing about investing into domains and sitting on them in hopes to sell for a profit.

What I do have experience in is building successful websites.

All I am saying is that at this current moment with the introductions of the new gTLD's I would rather build a website on DogFood.Guru instead of DogFoodGuru.com (which someone is trying to sell for 28k????) - http://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults-new3.aspx?ci=54814

I wouldn't mind building a website on DogTraining.Tips instead of having to register some longtail-dogtraining.com domain.

I can build organic traffic just as easy to DogTraining.Tips as I would if I went out and spent a couple grand on DogTrainingTips.com

Obviously, you can build a good website on any domain you choose. If you like dog breeds + .GURU for your development projects, then go for it!

If it were me, I would back up those .GURU domains with matching GURU.com domains. Because that's where word-of-mouth is going to send half your traffic. Without those [dog breed]Guru.com domains to forward to the [dog breed].guru domains, you'll be leaking some of the traffic you work to get.

Is Poodle.com worth more than Poodle.guru. Of course. But to be honest with you I have no problem using Poodle.guru to build a site on. I don't care about the value of the domain.

Why buy 30 different domains to develop, though? Is there an advantage for you there compared to concentrating just on the very best one -- Dog.tips?

Incidentally, if you'd like some dog breeds in .COM, I've got a couple. They're less expensive than you probably think. If someone out there is trying to sell DogFoodGuru.com for $28k, then he's a fool.

•••

If it were me, I would back up those .GURU domains with matching GURU.com domains. Because that's where word-of-mouth is going to send half your traffic. Without those [dog breed]Guru.com domains to forward to the [dog breed].guru domains, you'll be leaking some of the traffic you work to get.
Yes, it always good to have the matching .com as backup but then do you really need the alt extension. If you have the .com there is no particular incentive to advertise something else.

•••
It will take me years to develop the amount of sites I have domains for. Once that time comes I don't want to pay a couple thousand dollars for dogtraining.tips when I can pick it up now for a fraction of the price.

Everyone keeps talking about renewal fees and what not but really those cost are just a drop in the bucket when you are actually developing the sites.

I would be semi interested in any .com pet breed articles you would have.

Why buy 30 different domains to develop, though? Is there an advantage for you there compared to concentrating just on the very best one -- Dog.tips?

Incidentally, if you'd like some dog breeds in .COM,

•••
Well, after vacillating for days, I finally registered MobileHome.plumbing. I can refer visitors from MobileHomeDoctor.com which I have had since 1998. I will use it to try out some different ideas for educating totally clueless visitors about the essentials of plumbing.

•••
Nothing innovative about extensions, poor selling ones at that.

So not only poor selling registrations but from Flippa:

Domains sold at Flippa
Investor.holdings – $80
SuperAffiliate.guru – $12
FantasyFootball.tips – $500
3DPrinter.guru – $255
CreditCard.guru – $11

Domains sold at Sedo
yoga.guru - $1,171 sedo
rent.clothing - $100 sedo
got those 2 from - http://dnpric.es/stats/stats-by-tld/?tld
there were some from January, didn't include those, looked like early purchases

Domains That Didn't Sell At Flippa
StockMarket.guru – $1,000
UnsecuredLoan.guru – $300
FantasyFootball.guru – $200
B.bike – $180
CollegeLoan.guru – $160
Life.singles – $100
Press.holdings – $100
Visual.graphics – $36
Curvy.singles – $25
Nudist.singles – $16
CCTV.gallery – $10
Texan.land – $9
Motors.guru – $6
Buying.bike – $6
Comp.technology – $1
Tyres.today – $1

http://www.accidentaldomainer.com/f...m-couponlink-com-kym-com-and-new-gtld-action/

Selling early and low, setting up the market to be low?

Should this be the Sales thread or another one just for sales?

Last edited:
•••
"Selling early and low, setting up the market to be low?"

They sure ain't doing anyone any favors. A lot of desperate folks out there.

Was this type of activity rampant also with .mobi and some of the other g Extensions?

•••
"Selling early and low, setting up the market to be low?"

They sure ain't doing anyone any favors. A lot of desperate folks out there.

Was this type of activity rampant also with .mobi and some of the other g Extensions?

Was just checking .mobi on namebio

All kinds of 4 and 5 figure sales early on, see 11 sales over $100,000

But when was the last big .mobi sale? $2,499 this year, $1,800 last year (namebio, might be bigger ones) The ones that sold early did it right. There are probably some people still holding on. Held on too long, should have sold earlier.

It's still early so who knows but I guess people have to decide, quick flip/pump & dump because they don't trust in the future market for them or hold now because they're a true believer and see if it pays off.

Last edited:
•••
Was just checking .mobi on namebio

All kinds of 4 and 5 figure sales early on, see 11 sales over $100,000

But when was the last big .mobi sale? $2,499 this year, $1,800 last year (namebio, might be bigger ones) The ones that sold early did it right. There are probably some people still holding on. Held on too long, should have sold earlier.

There's a major difference between the .MOBI launch and 2014's introduction of hundreds of extensions all at once. And I don't just mean the dilution factor.

When .MOBI was introduced, people outside the domain industry believed in it and backed it. Big corporations sponsored the idea: Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung, Ericsson, Vodafone, T-Mobile, and Visa.

In contrast, these new extensions are mostly run by registry speculators hoping to turn a profit.

Even with top outside industry support and few other simultaneous TLD launches, .MOBI ultimately failed. But it saw large initial sales because it DID have backers; it DID have external demand; and it DIDN'T have to compete with a thousand other extensions being introduced simultaneously.

•••
Good points. I think what JB Lions is saying is that the window of opportunity is early on, when the TLD is new and there is more excitement and interest. Interest wanes quickly afterwards as people (and domainers) move on to the next thing. If you don't flip early, you could be holding the bag.
This is what I think personally. Extensions can certainly depreciate over time. Often the peak in value is at launch time. Then - poof - it becomes another extension.

•••
dot TODAY:

cleanse
sobriety
enlist
sample
hoa
repairs
bailout
bankrupt

•••
Just went against my better judgement and registered a .domains. I was prompted and had to agree not to use the domain in the same manner as a TM holder. Apparently someone applied for TM protection...

•••
Just went against my better judgement and registered a .domains. I was prompted and had to agree not to use the domain in the same manner as a TM holder. Apparently someone applied for TM protection...

against your better judgement eh... well then there could only be a few explanations why you'd do it then..

YOU GOTS THE FEVER!

QUICK... step away from the computer, organize a barbeque, go for a brisk run! hurry before you start on .sexy and the scraps of .guru !!

•••
against your better judgement eh... well then there could only be a few explanations why you'd do it then..

YOU GOTS THE FEVER!

QUICK... step away from the computer, organize a barbeque, go for a brisk run! hurry before you start on .sexy and the scraps of .guru !!

Ha!

I just took a big dose of Tylenol and the fever is gone. My $40 is most likely gone too. I might ask for a grace delete as my brain temporarily shut down on that one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back