Dynadot

The New Domain Buyers Group Wants YOU!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi Guys,

I am trying to find around 10 domainers to join a new Domain Buyers Group at Noomle. (trusted members with flawless Itraders and a good understanding of the domaining industry preferred, of course)

What is a Domain Buyer Group?

A Domain Buyers Group is a fractional ownership group for domain owners to pool funds for the purchase of premium names. (sorry for plagarizing that from the NP Domain Buyers Group - but thats just what it is...)

If you are interested in this Idea please read on, over at Noomle:

Noomle Domain Buyer Group - This might be for you! - Noomle Domain Name Parking Forums

You see the idea is still in it's infancy, a great opportunity IMHO to become a part of it and form the group to your likings...

Toni :guilty:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Read the thread on noomle.
Let me caveat by saying that I have no desire to participate (I do OK independently ;) )

The problem you face isn't logistical; it's operational. Trying to make something like this a democracy- where everyone "votes" - is a catastrophe waiting to happen, simply because having the required money to buy voting shares DOES NOT presuppose the voter is qualified to actually make a good buying decision- and unfortunately, the domain game is one game where you cannot count on the wisdom of the collective to bail you out, either. Its entirely possible that of any given 20 "domainers", only one or two might actually be talented.

I would much, much rather "invest" in a domain buying/developing consortium that is headed by highly talented, proven individuals who make independent decisions as a function of managing my money, as opposed to pooling my dough right alongside idiots who wouldn't know what constituted a good name if one jumped up and bit them in the ass.

This is Harry. He will be a voting investor in our group. His best name acquisitions to date are ILoveKitties.cc, UsedTableFansOnline.net, MortgageShop.tel, modems.vc and BuyTheseGreatBedsheets.com. Harry gets one vote, just like you do, to determine where our collective capital is allocated. Harry thinks there's a ton of value in buying eMayonnaise.info... Can you not instantly see a dozen problems with this?

Here's a simple test... Ask everyone who wants to invest in this buyers group to post their five best domain names. Pretty simple, all of us could do it if asked and doing so would help to clear-up what sort of decision-makers a prospective investor would be 'voting' along side of.

Last edited:
•••
Dongsman,
firstly I do o.k. too independently but I want to do great and this is IMO way easier archived with team-playing (given the fact your team is a good one),

I do appreciate your (a little harsh) input and yes you have a good point here (and this is partially what I said too: trusted members with flawless Itraders and a good understanding of the domaining industry preferred, of course - maybe the preferred was misplaced, it's a must!!), I have been thinking once we have collected enough interested domainers we'd go thru some sort of domaining test which would consist of multiple choice questions and answers and maybe pinning prices on certain domains. The test would be held individually in real time (like in a chat room so no cheating possible) : 1. simplified example: would you rather own qzy.com or qua.com, and pin your max. buying price on the following domain: zqx.com and sth.com ... of course I won't be coming up with this test alone since this will only reflect my understanding of the industry... there are ways but for now we need a few interested guys since we can only move from there...
I think posting their best 5 domains isn't the right indicator (though it can be a good additional verification) of ones understanding of the domaining industry, there might be some really talented domainers that for the time being lack funds to buy the right names, the test is the better option I think..

toni

LOL eMayonnaise.info, I give you $2000 :D (offer valid for 1 minute)

•••
A little update:

So far we are 5 interested domainers (including me)...

Don't miss out on this opportunity..

toni

•••
I hope it goes well for you.
I would suggest not pooling your money to buy the quintessential 'domainers domain' - some random LLL.com - but rather, pooling your money to purchase a viable keyword domain that has earning or end-user potential. That strategy has profoundly better odds for success in a joint-venture type situation than buying any given meaningless LLL.com.

Also, I would argue that if a person genuinely had talent, they would have capital to go with it. You find that talented people regularly start with little (sometimes, amazingly little) and bootstrap it upwards into bigger and better things. The idea of funding/partnering-with unproven albeit enthusiastic people is pretty much the textbook definition of what not to do in business.

Good luck, I sincerely mean that. Wish ya well.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks very much Dongsman,
you're right about the keyword domain,
but my thinking is, it is less risky to buy a LLL.com (with enduser friendly Letters) since it can be easily changed back into the same amount money if we can't find an enduser quickly (I was not planning to hold domains for longer then 2-3 month - if by that time no enduser had been found it is not worth the effort and should be resold)

And yes, but it also depends on where excactly those talented domainers are on the ladder of success, some might be still only in the process of closing in on the big guys, hmmmm, yes it's true there should be a noticable tendency that already reflects in their portfolio..

Thanks again for wishing well...
Rep on the way...

Toni

•••
It might be a good idea to form an LLC, issue and distribute shares equally. Register domains in your companies name etc. Great for taxes and individual asset protection.

•••
Thanks Prima,
yes we will definitely look deeper into this as
soon as we have gathered enough interested domainers...
Checked it out on the IRS site and it sounds right so far :)

toni

•••
A Small Bump For A Great Investment Opportunity..

Pm me anything!!

toni

•••
It sounds interesting but really, I wouldn't feel safe with this unless actual paperwork was involved or in some way I was assured that 1.) my money wouldn't go to waste and 2.) no entity would hold my investment hostage. Partnerships can die away (I wonder how tainted of a memory RegisterFly is to ppl, after all these years...) and if there is nothing to protect the users from a fallout, then it's just too risky.

I'd be interested had it not been for my concerns. I work better solo anyway -- I had all my life.

•••
Randy,
rest assured that actual paperwork will be involved and your money will not go to waste (unless all members vote on wasting the money on a crappy domain) and no-one will hold your investment hostage.
Because if those factors won't be assured I will not join the group myself (sounds odd since I feel like the driving force for this idea as of now)

toni

•••
We're still looking for YOU (domaining savvy people)...

toni

•••
•••
Good luck with this ... I share dongsman views but things can be worked out if all is clearly stated ...

I'm personally having the best year in domaining ever (been doing this for 10 years) so too many other

commitments :)

My 2 cents ... I've been in partnerships before ... its important to lay out a clear exit strategy ...

says someone wants out at a fixed period in time ... how will this be handled ?

who gets his share ? ... who decides ? ...

how much does he get ? initial amount ? market value ? market value according to who ?

I've had these issues with my partnerships ... so important to state in black and white.

The clearer, the better for all ... again good luck
:)

•••
Great to hear you're having the best year ever, Anthony :) , me too this year but I am not that long in the game as you...

Yes it is in my own interest to install a clear exit strategy and have all the points discussed and decided on you've mentioned, but I think this can only be worked out once we have a group of interested domainers in the basic idea...

Everything will be stated in black and white.

Would be great to have members of the actual NP Domain Buyers Group step forward and share their experience...

Toni

•••
Small Update:

We are now 6 interested Domainers...

Toni

•••
•••
Would be REALLY great to have members of the actual NP Domain Buyers Group step forward and share their experience... Please :)

Toni

•••
•••
Last possible day to raise your hand will be the 31th of December 2009
and then we will figure out a date and time for a skype meeting with all the folks interested in the group and hopefully we'll find a common ground, common budget, eliminate all the possible pitfalls together and then make this thing happen...

So far we are 8 Domainers...
Toni

•••
9 Members already...

few more days before the deadline...

Toni :)

•••
•••
Am glad you joined us Galel... :)

We are now 11 Members..

ONLY 9 DAYS LEFT BEFORE THE DEADLINE...

•••
•••
Alright folks...

The Deathline ends today!

The chances that this Group is really going to be established are 99% as I talked with 6 out of the 12 Members that raised their hand and I feel confidential that those guys share the same vision as I do...

Toni

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back