IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The Government of Montenegro recognized the potential worldwide appeal that .ME could have and decided it should be operated as a generic name space to gain the maximum benefit for Montenegro. The Government issued a public RFP in November 2007. The goal of the RFP was to find a Registration Agent that could operate an international registry, provide world class backend registry services, and provide the marketing and promotional muscle needed to make .ME a worldwide success. Ultimately, we believe they made an excellent choice!

The contract was awarded to doMEn, d.o.o., a Montenegro based joint venture (doing business as .ME Registry) whose partners are Afilias Limited, GoDaddy.com, Inc., and ME-net d.o.o.

Landrush will start June 6 till June 26, domain names with more than 2 applications will go into Auction.

Go Live on July 17.

SO, what do you all think about the coming .me?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Next stage is $50/year for 2 year minimum. Got an email about that pricing today. $100 is a bit cheaper to the $900 commitment per name. The last stage will probably cheaper. I don't think I would risk $900 for one name but I am interested in the $100 pricing. Not sure if I will get any but I am keeping an eye on this.

•••
question..

what would be worth more.. a domain hack within a word "na.me" for example... which is reserved..

or a verb that is 2 words.. like date.me also unavailable right now

thx!

•••
people who are bitter must understand this is by the far the most economically fair and sound way. Imperfect price discrimination a bit. Put price at demand. Set the names to auction status like .asia did. Make $$$. Money goes back to the registry to hopefully lower maintenance cost for the future.

$100+ sunrise , $50+ landrush , $30+ live. See the trend?

Although I would love to get poker.me again -_-

•••
That surely helps the locals to develop THEIR ccTLD instead of letting foreigners waste it with useless hacks in a language that is not used in that country.

Maybe they have done the right thing.

•••
Domainmonster :

$49
During the Landrush and Landrush Pre-Order (from 6th May 2008 15:00 UTC) period .me domain names will be charged at the following rate per domain year. A minimum registration period of 2 years is required for .me domain names during the Landrush process.

$24.99
Once the Landrush process has closed and the .me registry prepares to open, our prices will change for both Open Registration Pre-Orders (starting 26th June 2008 17:00 UTC) and for final Open Registration (from 17th July 2008 15:00 UTC):

I also received an email saying that if it goes to auction and you loose they will refund your $49

g-

•••
italiandragon said:
That surely helps the locals to develop THEIR ccTLD instead of letting foreigners waste it with useless hacks in a language that is not used in that country.

Maybe they have done the right thing.

I hope that you are right. In locale language word "me" has same meaning as in English. Here are some examples (reserved names too):

ljubi.me - kiss.me
nadji.me - find.me
zovni.me - call.me

Interesting is that one nasty English word which start with f... is not on the list with reserved words in locale language though ;)

•••
their reserve list are HUGE
seems like most of the good domain hacks are reserved,..

•••
Do you have the list of reserved ones ?

•••
Could Gordan Ramsay trademark "f**k me" and then claim f**k.me?

•••
•••
.asis has defeinitely ruined .me and any other pre-reg process

....if my 4 .asia names are ever resolved I might consider a pre-reg again for something but not until then at the very least.

•••
all about .ME domain registrations...
What is .ME?
.ME is an Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) that has been assigned to Montenegro.

Why.ME?
.ME is about YOU! With a .ME domain, the Internet will, quite simply, be all about YOU. .ME has incredible potential for Internet users world-wide. It is one of the recent TLDs approved by ICANN and is expected to be utilized as both a Personalized Web address and as a catchy business marketing tool around the world. For the first time in Internet history, domain names are essentially personal.

Who can register a .ME Domain Name?
Anyone is eligible, and no trademarks are required.

What is Landrush?
Landrush is a limited period wherein anyone can apply for their preferred Domain Names before the actual registrations go Live.

How does the .ME Landrush Process work?
The .ME Landrush will take place between 6th June and 26th June, 2008 during which the Registry will be accepting applications for .ME Domain Names. You can, however, start pre-applying for the Landrush right away, through us. The actual allocation of the Domains will take place after the Landrush ends. When you apply for a .ME Domain Name, there could be 2 possible scenarios -

* You are the sole applicant: In case you are the only one applying for the concerned Domain Name throughout the Landrush, then the Domain Name will be allocated to you post the Landrush.

* There are multiple applicants: In case there are more than one applications for that Domain Name, you will need to participate in an auction process to acquire the domain name. You will thus be able to register that Domain Name only by placing the highest bid for it. This auction will take place shortly after the Landrush. If any of your domains do qualify for an auction, you will be notified of the date of the auction and the auction site URL. In addition, you will be sent credentials (via email) that must be used prior to the start of the auction to establish a qualified bidder’s account.

Note:
* You will not be able to view the .ME Domain Names that have been applied for, in your respective Control Panels during the Landrush. Only once a Domain is successfully registered, you will be able to view/manage it in the Control Panel.
* You will be required to register for a minimum of 2 years, as mandated by the .ME Registry.

•••
ajkula said:
I hope that you are right. In locale language word "me" has same meaning as in English. Here are some examples (reserved names too):

ljubi.me - kiss.me
nadji.me - find.me
zovni.me - call.me

Interesting is that one nasty English word which start with f... is not on the list with reserved words in locale language though ;)

Yah interesting domain hacks, just sadly the reserved names. But you guys are a bunch of great creative minds that song titles and foreign language comes into place. Bet you have more in mind! :tu:

•••
•••
where can we register the cheapest .me?

•••
what is the deal with these? does anyone think .me will become a popular domain?

•••
The high reg fee might pull it down but good names like f***.me or call.me may have good value. But lot of the good names are reserved and will be auctioned..... and there it goes again.... same story .....

•••
domaindevelopers said:
The high reg fee might pull it down but good names like f***.me or call.me may have good value. But lot of the good names are reserved and will be auctioned..... and there it goes again.... same story .....
The high price is only for now. Once its gone through all these rounds of pre purchasing names and whatever it will probably be only around 20$ or something. I think this is an excellent ccTLD TBH.

•••
seolinks said:
where can we register the cheapest .me?

Here with WebNIC! :P I hope we are the lowest by far :)

•••
So registering names today is just for putting your name in a pool for an auction of the domain? or do I get the name right away?

•••
toh.benny said:
i'm not sure if this would go down the same road as .mobi with the premium names being reserved.
"A list of Premium Names ( PDF, and text file) has been held back, and these names are not currently available for registration. The Registry plans to make these names available in manner(s) to be determined at a later time. "
http://www.domain.me/index.php?page=6

Well, at least they (dotME) gave us a list of the 'reserved' names. DotAsia let us guess and reg them anyway, then lose fees when they get rejected. As usual, though, all the best ones are reserved.

•••
SMBGeek said:
So registering names today is just for putting your name in a pool for an auction of the domain? or do I get the name right away?
No you do not get the domain straight away and may never get it, you have to go into auction, you are only paying to go into auction

•••
raredn.com said:
No you do not get the domain straight away and may never get it, you have to go into auction, you are only paying to go into auction

So just to be crystal clear here...If I registered a name today, I do not really own it yet?

•••
Monsterman said:
So just to be crystal clear here...If I registered a name today, I do not really own it yet?

are you serious? :lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back