Domain Empire

The Keywords of Y Combinator Startups

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
When selecting brandable domains for purchase and resale it’s important to know our target market. One technique is to buy names similar to the ones listed at our favorite brandable marketplace. This is a good initial strategy but in order to take our skills to the next level we need to stay in tune with the startup industry’s values and trends.

For the purpose of further analysis and discussion I compiled the most popular keywords used by YC companies at the start of their domain name. I divided these keywords into three categories based on my personal assessment of each one’s value.

Strong keywords
Air, app, blue, boost, care, chat, click, cloud, code, coin, crowd, data, drive, fit, get, go, hero,
med, insta, job, lend, micro, news, pay, screen, social, sound, stack, standard, style, work, ride,
talk, tap, team, think, trans, true, up and zen.

Medium level keywords
Bit, hacker, hack, hello, flex, hey, give, info, message, new, next, one, open, op, pad, page, paper,
snap, plate, pop, jump, kick, mix, high, rent, send, shift, play, post, rescue, thread and git.

Weak keywords
Every, flight, flutter, frame, future, hi, hip, ink, lets, made, magic, matter, meet, mine, snip, vaycay, vid, we, women, you, zero, any, clever, event, block, break, fabric and five.

Based on these admittedly subjective and arbitrary categories I created a hierarchy of possible keyword combinations, from best to worst, as follows:

• Using two strong keywords ie. MicroBit, GoSocial and DataHero
  • Combining strong and medium keywords ie JobShift, DataFlex and RentCrowd
  • Combining strong and weak keywords ie BlueFrame, CareMagic and StyleEvent
  • Combining medium and weak keywords ie HelloVaycay, HighFlight and MagicMessage
  • Using two weak keywords ie EveryEvent, FutureFlight and CleverMagic

This is an amazingly great outlook into brandables and I think everyone investing in brandables should read this

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back