IT.COM

THE IDEA THAT SHORTER IS ALWAYS BETTER

NameSilo
Watch

WNC HOLDINGS

wnc.holdingsEstablished Member
Impact
Well, there’s no better time than now to reiterate that words still have significant meaning and purpose. Even in really “long” configurations.

Emoticons, acronyms and shorthand words definitely have their place. However, some things are simply better spelled out.

Partial may be convenient; but it doesn’t always lend itself to distinction. Greater distinction helps foster “better understanding and correlation”.

If your domains can be properly interpreted, and convey a clear message, they work. Remember, level of appeal is specific to the interpreting mind.

Wishing you prosperity in your domain endeavors,

WNC HOLDINGS

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The quality of a name has nothing to do with the length short or long.
There are a bunch of short names are craps as they have no meaning or use.

•••
@jhm

I'm speaking on behalf of our team. Hence, the use of "we". We "genuinely" do hope all is well. Especially with the state of the world. We want readers of our posts to know they have more than one individual that's rooting for their success and overall well-being. For us, it's much deeper than domain sales and domain dialogue. Thank you for taking the time to highlight the opening statement of our posts. It's most appreciated.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS
Can you expound? What do you mean that for you it is much deeper than domain sales and and domain dialogue? What is the purpose of your OP?

•••
•••
Hi

i have 4 word name that still earns about $400 a year in ppc

imo...

•••
Length is important but what is more important is that it makes sense, is memorable, and easy to spell. You can have a 4 letter domain, but it can be very confusing if people don't remember all the letters or what order they were in.

•••
I disagree, over the past three years I have sold only few 5 letter domains. I have several dozen similar domains. And they are all euphonious. But I sold ten times more two-word domains with a longer length. Therefore, your idea is controversial.

Last edited:
•••
Lot of meaningful 2 word names get sold here and everywhere regularly.

•••
Length is important but what is more important is that it makes sense, is memorable, and easy to spell. You can have a 4 letter domain, but it can be very confusing if people don't remember all the letters or what order they were in.
On point!

•••
@Bob Hawkes Would love to get your thoughts on the above.
A few thoughts...

I believe the rules of NamePros make it against the rules to carry on a dispute with someone by disliking their content without a valid reason. The dividing line is, of course, somewhat fuzzy at times.

I think in the vast majority of cases NamePros members do not engage in this behaviour. In fact, even in controversial discussions, it seems a rather limited use is made of the dislike or even disagree options. I don't see there is a big issue. (ps I don't visit the political sections so the situation might be different in those parts)

The agree/disagree was brought in just a couple of years ago to provide a softer way to express an opinion (prior to that you only choice was dislike). I think that was a good idea. Often I may disagree with a conclusion or opinion, but that does not mean I feel negatively about the post itself, and definitely not about the poster.

In fact, in my mind it is congruent to at times give both Thanks and Disagree to the same post. It means you want to thank the person for making an effort to assemble data and logical opinions, but you do not agree with the conclusion reached.

I would argue that keeping agree/disagree is important. I also like that we have both like and thank options, as I see them as somewhat different. I do not feel strongly about the seldom-used dislike option. Should there be a way to react to content that people feel should never have been posted? Perhaps. I can live with or without it.

Just to clarify, I have no role in moderation, ownership or operation of NamePros. I simply write weekly for the NamePros Blog. The opinions expressed here are just my own personal opinions on the topic.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The last 2 names I sold were both 10 letters long but were single words so long in characters but short on words.

•••
Nothing i am proud of bro. I am a huge advocate of abolishing the private up/down vote. Namepros should remove it immediately.
Great thread. TY
Sorry were off topic, i am sure mine and BIGGIE post will be removed.
Thank you for contributing to namepros in a positive way @WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Short may be sweet and to the point but WNC you've got some great points!

•••
•••
I am on the forum recently, and I do not quite understand the reaction of the anonymus that put the cons of my post. I can prove that I sold 6-12 letter domains with two words more larger than 5-letter domains. I think that to put the cons anonymusly is ugly and dishonorable. This is the position of a weak and cowardly person.

•••
The gist of the thread is trying to suggest companies are branding wrong, Look up startups and big companies. They always opt for shorter.

•••
•••
Size does matter :xf.wink: but it's not the only thing everyone considers 😜

•••
Thats one of the pros of namepros
Secret identity and unknown people can deztroy your impact points. To stay on topic,
I am on the forum recently, and I do not quite understand the reaction of the anonymus that put the cons of my post. I can prove that I sold 6-12 letter domains with two words more larger than 5-letter domains. I think that to put the cons anonymusly is ugly and dishonorable. This is the position of a weak and cowardly person.

•••
I didnt add the quote to above message and that cant be done once you post. So above post is in reply to
As a person from the side, I dare to assure that this is not a plus, but a fat minus of this resource. All people interested in communication on the forum, a priori should be connected by one goal, therefore must be responsible for their actions and judgments. If the site is made in such a way that you will be get spittles in the back, and you will not know who did it, then everything is not so good in this place. No need to be proud of this, colleague.

Last edited:
•••
A few thoughts...

I believe the rules of NamePros make it against the rules to carry on a dispute with someone by disliking their content without a valid reason. The dividing line is, of course, somewhat fuzzy at times.

I think in the vast majority of cases NamePros members do not engage in this behaviour. In fact, even in controversial discussions, it seems a rather limited use is made of the dislike or even disagree options. I don't see there is a big issue. (ps I don't visit the political sections so the situation might be different in those parts)

The agree/disagree was brought in just a couple of years ago to provide a softer way to express an opinion (prior to that you only choice was dislike). I think that was a good idea. Often I may disagree with a conclusion or opinion, but that does not mean I feel negatively about the post itself, and definitely not about the poster.

In fact, in my mind it is congruent to at times give both Thanks and Disagree to the same post. It means you want to thank the person for making an effort to assemble data and logical opinions, but you do not agree with the conclusion reached.

I would argue that keeping agree/disagree is important. I also like that we have both like and thank options, as I see them as somewhat different. I do not feel strongly about the seldom-used dislike option. Should there be a way to react to content that people feel should never have been posted? Perhaps. I can live with or without it.

Just to clarify, I have no role in moderation, ownership or operation of NamePros. I simply write weekly for the NamePros Blog. The opinions expressed here are just my own personal opinions on the topic.

Bob
You answered very tactfully. But anonymity is madness for people associated with one aim. In a thread about Squadhelp, I politely answered my colleague why experts now approve of domains so slowly. And undeservedly received 5 minuses in karma. It was not politics, it was just a spittle in my back. This should not be in a decent society. We only need grades Like . Unlike and Thanks. Without anonymity. So that everyone can answer for their words.

•••
Thats one of the pros of namepros
Secret identity and unknown people can deztroy your impact points. To stay on topic,
As a person from the side, I dare to assure that this is not a plus, but a fat minus of this resource. All people interested in communication on the forum, a priori should be connected by one goal, therefore must be responsible for their actions and judgments. If the site is made in such a way that you will be get spittles in the back, and you will not know who did it, then everything is not so good in this place. No need to be proud of this, colleague.

•••
Lot of meaningful 2 word names get sold here and everywhere regularly.
@koolishman,

We hope all is well. Thank you for sharing! We agree! We've definitely come across some 3+ word domains that have been valuable as well.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
Nothing i am proud of bro. I am a huge advocate of abolishing the private up/down vote. Namepros should remove it immediately.
Great thread. TY
Sorry were off topic, i am sure mine and BIGGIE post will be removed.
Thank you for contributing to namepros in a positive way @WNC HOLDINGS
@MasterOfMyDomains

We hope all is well. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our efforts to "positively contribute" to the Namepros forum. It definitely means a lot. We have no issue with you expressing your advocacy for "abolishing the private up/down vote" in this thread. Sometimes one outlet serves as a pathway for change in another.

We realize there's a certain type of "culture" within the Namepros forum that tends to be amplified by the ability to downvote content regardless of its merit. The "impact reader", paired with "account status", implies that a user with a "string of stars", "vip tag" and "large impact numbers" will "positively engage by default".

Namepros has definitely been a valuable resource within the domain investor space; but the upvote and downvote features, along with other things, can lead to a level of toxicity commonly found on many social-media platforms. This is why we look to engage in "quality dialogue minus the politics of votes/popularity".

Needless to say, we're rather new to the Namepros forum; and can't speak to whether there were parameters in place to prevent poor engagement in the past. However, we can respectfully say there are some updates the platform could use to ensure it doesn't become a hub for "down-vote wars and popular viewpoints" only.

Thank you again for sharing.

@Bob Hawkes Would love to get your thoughts on the above.

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
@biggie

We hope all is well. Thank you for sharing. The fact you have a "4 word name" that earns is wonderful. It speaks to the fact longer domains have value as well.

Thank you again for sharing!

Chris
WNC HOLDINGS

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back