IT.COM

new gtlds The Great Rebranding Story: Small Business Owners Adopting the New Extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
We often have a preconceived notion that .com domains are the best for online presence and business. Businesses around the world are now moving away from the herd mentality and are opting for the new TLDs which reflect their brand and business in a better way. The primary reason to opt out of .com is that these small businesses are able to secure good keywords in the new extensions.
Barclays, one of the largest banking services in UK, changed their web address to new and cool name Home.Barclays in mid 2015.
The trend was soon followed by the Saxo Bank of Denmark who switched to Home.Sexo in 2016. Thus began the migration of the big companies from the .COM to their own extensions.
This strategy is well used by some other business like Lusso-Clothing.co.uk who switched to Lusso.bike. It is interesting to note that Lusso is a 33 years company so even older companies are following this cool trend...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

I missed your comment there. Please read the following statement to understand why...

It is really good for branding for most of the companies using it.

It is catchy, easy to remember.

Think of a tour operator who provides tours to New York and their name is let's say Davidson Tourism

Nobody will remember their website davidsontourism.com but if they have NewYork.Tours I guarantee their customers will remember the website and come back again whenever they want to visit NewYork again.

Also this domain will help them to gain reputation against their competitors named like Jack Tours or so, who organizes tours to New York as well.

•••
.mobi is ridiculous and it is not a new gTLD.
It was a new TLD in 2006. It failed, and the past is now repeating again with different extensions.

You think Billion Dollar companies are stupid to fall for a hype?
Yes, and even successful companies made bad decisions. Some projects/products fail when released on the market. It happens. Companies waste money, they try things, they take risks.
Otherwise why did they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for their own extensions, to ditch them after a bare 2-3 years ? You don't call that stupid ? I'm not talking about one isolated incident, but dozens of occurrences, not counting the applications that didn't make it through but nonetheless cost a lot of money.

It is really good for branding for most of the companies using it....
You are repeating the marketing spin of registries. They are the only ones making notable aftermarket sales. So they appreciate your enthusiasm and unpaid ambassadorship :xf.smile:

also companies who terminated their own tlds like ,mcdonalds (.McDonalds) and so have no value for domainers since you can`t invest in them they are only for their usage.
Always moving the goalposts. Of course they have no value to domainers. That's not the point. They illustrate the dire state of nTLDs.
Plenty of well-known applicants are still not using them. Wonder why, I guess they have better priorities.

•••
Nobody will remember their website davidsontourism.com but if they have NewYork.Tours I guarantee their customers will remember the website and come back again whenever they want to visit NewYork again.

they will remember "New York Tours" but they will get so confused by the domain that they will type newyorktours.com, they won't remember the domain.

Google search will then drive them to their competitors.

Last edited:
•••
Of course they have no value to domainers. That's not the point. They illustrate the dire state of nTLDs.
Plenty of well-known applicants are still not using them. Wonder why, I guess they have better priorities.

These type of company extensions got no relevance with new gTLDs at all.

I don`t care if Chase Bank have their own extension like.Chase or other doesn`t use it`s extension.

That got nothing to do with new gTLDs.

•••
By the way newyork.tours is available for $960... but it's the renewal price too. So perhaps this is why this great domain is still available.

These type of company extensions got no relevance with new gTLDs at all.
If big companies are shunning new extensions, including their own, where will the traction come from ? Only from the small businesses ?
Then new extensions will not be taken seriously, like .biz today, that few reputable companies want to use. .biz instantly screams amateur.

Last edited:
•••
By the way newyork.tours is available for $960... but it's the renewal price too. So perhaps this is why this great domain is still available.

wasn't that one owned by a travel company before?

Maybe @atinc wants to grab it?

•••
See 7000 domains in the past 12 months doesn`t really make sense to me.

This means selling 583 domains on a monthly basis for 1 year.

But if you really do then I would show you big respect.

I am fine with documentation of 7000 domains. Please share when you can verify that with escrow.com `s General Manager.

Sure get your respect out and ready then. Jackson can for sure document around 5000 names sold through Escrow. Rest I can document from PMs here at NP. It will end up to be more than 7000. And no it was not 600 in one month. It was 3000 one month and 5 another month. It does not equal out like that.

You think Richard is lying and made a fake sales report?

His sale was verified by dsad and domain sherpa. How come it can be possible? Please explain so I can understand your point.

I know Richard is a liar. Its well documented and he also said multiple times that he "spins" to create hype. Several times in his own sales report thread he lies about his acquisition price, his behaviour with other NP members and what he said in the past. Its all very well documented. Please let me know how DSAD or domainsherpas documented the sale. By writing about it? Do a whois of the name please and tell me what you see?

On the other hand why do you use escrow? Don`t they also get a commission out of the sales? How much % left to you after the sales?

If I did broker 7000 domain names for $866,000 in 12 months I would eliminate escrow to raise my profit. And provide the same service they do.

How much net profit did you make with this 7000 domains in the past year?

You really truly know nothing about this industry. Escrow takes less than 0,5% of a transaction total as a fee, at least when you are doing 4-6 figure transactions. They do not take ANY commission. You pay them to conduct a transaction there. So you would provide the same service as Escrow.com. You are licensed and bonded as an Escrow provider globally? Its not me that makes you look stupid you know, you do that all by yourself. Why would I use them? To make sure my seller gets his money. Simple as that.

How much profit I made. Well I take 12% from my brokered sales so I made around 100K profit from those 900K in sales. I risked zero USD and made 100K. Seems like a good ROI to me.

•••

wasn't that one owned by a travel company before?

Maybe @atinc wants to grab it?

I have NewYork.Voyage for relatively small renewal comparing to NewYork.Tours

Voyage is both English and also meaning trip in French

I only invest on new gTLDs with low renewals to minimize the risk and registering any domain is a risk itself.

If it was $200 I would owned it. Also if I owned a tour operator I would own it for $960 too.

Last edited:
•••
Sure get your respect out and ready then. Jackson can for sure document around 5000 names sold through Escrow. Rest I can document from PMs here at NP. It will end up to be more than 7000. And no it was not 600 in one month. It was 3000 one month and 5 another month. It does not equal out like that.

I know Richard is a liar. Its well documented and he also said multiple times that he "spins" to create hype. Several times in his own sales report thread he lies about his acquisition price, his behaviour with other NP members and what he said in the past. Its all very well documented. Please let me know how DSAD or domainsherpas documented the sale. By writing about it? Do a whois of the name please and tell me what you see?

You really truly know nothing about this industry. Escrow takes less than 0,5% of a transaction total as a fee, at least when you are doing 4-6 figure transactions. They do not take ANY commission. You pay them to conduct a transaction there. So you would provide the same service as Escrow.com. You are licensed and bonded as an Escrow provider globally? Its not me that makes you look stupid you know, you do that all by yourself. Why would I use them? To make sure my seller gets his money. Simple as that.

How much profit I made. Well I take 12% from my brokered sales so I made around 100K profit from those 900K in sales. I risked zero USD and made 100K. Seems like a good ROI to me.

First that is not return of investment since you are just brokering.

Second, You first stated that you sold 20,000 domains than it decreased to 7000 and now it is 5000 domain names.

You stated you made a little more than $900,000 than this number changed to $866,000 then asked for approval for $850,000

Now I am curious how much is it gonna go down by Jackson, including the quantity of the sales and they are totaling value.

I sold more than 20k domains in my career as a broker and investor and did a little more than 900k USD in domain sales last 12 months.

I can document around 7000 from last 12 months.

I can provide documentation from escrow.com of 866k in sales last 12 months. Last 60k was done in direct transfers.

@Jackson Elsegood can you confirm that I have more than 850k in sales since August 2016 at Escrow.com? And more than 100k this month?

Jackson can for sure document around 5000 names sold through Escrow.

Rest I can document from PMs here at NP.

So you agree this is not a hard thing to make fake sales reports. Let`s assume you are right about hatred.com:

If he changed the owner information as well you would believe that he was telling the truth?

Do you mean people do bribe for fake reports supported by well-known domain people?

Last edited:
•••
@promo
So you would provide the same service as Escrow.com. You are licensed and bonded as an Escrow provider globally? Its not me that makes you look stupid you know, you do that all by yourself. Why would I use them? To make sure my seller gets his money. Simple as that.

I never used their services and asked you a question since you said you have been working with them.

How the hack I would know how do they work? How come does it make me stupid just because I never used their services? Watch out your words.

I still don`t understand the part about dsad and domainsherpa approved his sale. I see those platforms very reliable.

Can you explain more about your theory how do they publish a fake sales report?

You don`t say it out loud but it sounds like you are claiming them with bribe?

Last edited:
•••
@atinc

See I tagged you so you can follow!

Its all true, I did not change any facts. 20K names sold over 14 years. 7000 sold last 12 months. 5000 sold last 12 months through Escrow.com. You asked for documentation so I altered the figures to the ones I can safely provide you documentation for. The figure for Escrow.com is 866K and 60K in direct sales, making it around 930K total. You think I am lying about the last 60K but not the 866K?

I think you have a hard time comprehending written English. Which is amply proved by your selection in domain names. New york . Voyage huh ?.. I think its time for a LOL. Maybe you should stick to your other industries what ever they might be.

Regarding Hatred.com.. I would have a much easier time believing the sale if:

1: Dick was not a habitual liar.. Or spinner what ever.
2: The domain name had changed whois information. When you spend 150K you usually change the whois email in the very least.
3: Dick first trying to make himself out as a guru of domaining, then 2 weeks later tried to sell ALL his domains at NP. After telling us all how he is the end user master?

Last edited:
•••
@atinc

See I tagged you so you can follow!

Its all true, I did not change any facts. 20K names sold over 14 years. 7000 sold last 12 months. 5000 sold last 12 months through Escrow.com. You asked for documentation so I altered the figures to the ones I can safely provide you documentation for. The figure for Escrow.com is 866K and 60K in direct sales. You think I am lying about the last 60K but not the 866K?

I think you have a hard time comprehending written English. Which is amply proved by your selection in domain names. New york . Voyage huh ?.. I think its time for a LOL. Maybe you should stick to your other industries what ever they might be.

Regarding Hatred.com.. I would have a much easier time believing the sale if:

1: Dick was not a habitual liar.. Or spinner what ever.
2: The domain name had changed whois information. When you spend 150K you usually change the whois email in the very least.
3: Dick first trying to make himself out as a guru of domaining, then 2 weeks later tried to sell ALL his domains at NP. After telling us all how he is the end user master?

I don`t trust any words of you.

dsad and domainsherpa are reputable platforms.

They wouldn`t publish anything fake there.

20K - 7K - 5k I guess this will continuously decrease till the real documents are provided...

more than $900K - $866K - $850K

not much? just 15K difference in quantity and $50k in value.

Right.

•••
Funny: no haters? :xf.smile:

How about some reality. Looks like somebody wrote an article, which looks very familiar to some other article posted here but didn't take the time to actually look at what they're posting. Maybe some copy and paste?

Very first link in the article, doesn't even resolve - Ashish.consulting

Jacksonville.attorney was talked about here before. Went from .com to that url, but then went back to the .com again, now forwarding to a .com. Just do a Namepros search on Jacksonville.attorney, 3 different threads on that.

oh look another example - Robsullivan.estate, forwards to a .com

oh my - Stevenyoung.Realtor - doesn't resolve

one more, - Bresse.healthcare - doesn't resolve

Half the links in the article don't resolve or just forward to a .com

Another failure new gtld article. I can't decide if it's more pathetic or funny.

CpM_wG5VYAAl6pI.jpg

Last edited:
•••
How about some reality. Looks like somebody wrote an article, which looks very familiar to some other article posted here but didn't take the time to actually look at what they're posting. Maybe some copy and paste?

Very first link in the article, doesn't even resolve - Ashish.consulting

Jacksonville.attorney was talked about here before. Went from .com to that url, but then went back to the .com again, now forwarding to a .com. Just do a Namepros search on Jacksonville.attorney, 3 different threads on that.

oh look another example - Robsullivan.estate, forwards to a .com

oh my - Stevenyoung.Realtor - doesn't resolve

one more, - Bresse.healthcare - doesn't resolve

Half the links in the article don't resolve or just forward to a .com

Another failure new gtld article. I can't decide if it's more pathetic or funny.

CpM_wG5VYAAl6pI.jpg

no adoption just ghost towns..

.dead

•••
too much ignorance, same people = new gTLD bashers

Last edited:
•••
It's not ignorance.
This is what happens when you post outdated stuff and don't do fact-checking. People do the fact-checking for you.

We remember the URLs from that article because they have been discussed before, and we are actually paying more attention than nTLD investors.

I myself posted a followup (see first page of this thread for the link), it's true that some businesses are still using their new gTLDs but a lot of them have reverted to .com or their ccTLD.
Bottom line: new extensions get some use, they suffer setbacks too, but they are not getting mainstream.
For each new site on a new gTLD, they are many more sites being born on .com and ccTLDs.
You can't blame businesses for choosing TLDs that are stable, trustworthy and properly regulated and not subject to whimsical pricing.

•••
It's not ignorance.
This is what happens when you post outdated stuff and don't do fact-checking. People do the fact-checking for you.

We remember the URLs from that article because they have been discussed before, and we are actually paying more attention than nTLD investors.

I myself posted a followup (see first page of this thread for the link), it's true that some businesses are still using their new gTLDs but a lot of them have reverted to .com or their ccTLD.
Bottom line: new extensions get some use, they suffer setbacks too, but they are not getting mainstream.
For each new site on a new gTLD, they are many more sites being born on .com and ccTLDs.
You can't blame businesses for choosing TLDs that are stable, trustworthy and properly regulated and not subject to whimsical pricing.

I have seen relative news before too but I don`t see any harm to see them posted again.

There are people who are not aware of this news yet so I appreciate @News afford on posting this thread.

•••
Last edited:
•••
.com is too established and word of mouth. Everyone's grandma knows .com, they don't know .top
There will be gtld's sold but not until everyone unites on a single new ext will .com be dethroned. And with .org and .net rising, they might never have had a chance.

Last edited:
•••
too much ignorance, same people = new gTLD bashers

I have seen relative news before too but I don`t see any harm to see them posted again.

There are people who are not aware of this news yet so I appreciate @News afford on posting this thread.

Your response is kind of like the same effort as the article writer, lazy. It's usually just calling somebody a new gtld basher. You don't actually go thru the post, I don't think you even read the article, just the headline. What in my post is incorrect? Nothing. If you're going to write a pro new gtld puff piece, at least use working examples.

You appreciate poorly researched, copy and past articles? The "author" didn't even take the time to verify what he was posting.

"No extension is a king,"

Even newbie domainers can grasp this. Yes, .com is king. That doesn't mean other extensions don't get used or you can't make money with other extensions, but it does sit at the top. Any way you want to measure it. Regs, usage, recognition, sales etc.

It doesn't have issues new gtlds have. There are actually threads here asking how to describe new gtlds to endusers. Or, should we put a www. first, so it actually looks like a url instead of a run on sentence. .com doesn't suffer from these issues, I've never had to explain it to anybody.

Last edited:
•••
"No extension is a king,"

A domain needs a good keyword + a good extension to have value. Which means ccTLD or .com

Other extension can of course sell but that are exceptions so we can generalize and say .com and ccTLD are king.

People who think that extension does not matter do not understand domaining or read sales reports.

It does not matter how wonderful your domain is if the demand is not there. Alternative extensions simply do not have the demand to keep prices high enough consistently that is why they can not be king and this will not change. We have now 4 years of data and over a decade of .mobi, .info, .biz sales statistics.

Some say that .info, .xxx .biz aren't nGTLDs. That is not true they might not be part of the current program but they are identical in the sense that they are descriptive generic alternatives that are in fact better than most of the newly released strings.

Do you think that if .xxx is not successful, .rodeo is going to succeed? Of course not.

No one cares about .xxx these days and this will be the future of most extensions that are released today.

Last edited:
•••
•••
keep hating cause new gTLDs will continue to slow down your .com and ccTLD sales.

Speaking of which what is your favorite domain @Kate @dordomai @JB Lions

You guys got no respect to others investments lets see your domain expertise by reviewing your favorite domain you currently own.

See this people never invested in new gTLDs and you can see how much they hate it.

L

•••
*random small business in Fargo, ND uses a .online*

“Where are all the haters now??? .com is DEAD!!!”

•••
It does not matter what domainers think. Consumers will decide. Looks like they are already showing where their preferences are :?:
I hope you are not seriously thinking nTLDs are failing because a bunch of domainers are mocking or badmouthing them ?

Even slowing down .com and ccTLD sales are better than no sales at all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back