IT.COM

new gtlds The Great Rebranding Story: Small Business Owners Adopting the New Extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
We often have a preconceived notion that .com domains are the best for online presence and business. Businesses around the world are now moving away from the herd mentality and are opting for the new TLDs which reflect their brand and business in a better way. The primary reason to opt out of .com is that these small businesses are able to secure good keywords in the new extensions.
Barclays, one of the largest banking services in UK, changed their web address to new and cool name Home.Barclays in mid 2015.
The trend was soon followed by the Saxo Bank of Denmark who switched to Home.Sexo in 2016. Thus began the migration of the big companies from the .COM to their own extensions.
This strategy is well used by some other business like Lusso-Clothing.co.uk who switched to Lusso.bike. It is interesting to note that Lusso is a 33 years company so even older companies are following this cool trend...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
*random small business in Fargo, ND uses a .online*

β€œWhere are all the haters now??? .com is DEAD!!!”

we do reject the term 'hater' instead we prefer to be called 'nGTLD realists'.

•••
*random small business in Fargo, ND uses a .online*

β€œWhere are all the haters now??? .com is DEAD!!!”

Nobody says that .com is dead.

Most of the new gTLD investors also buys .com domains.

•••
Let me recap so as to make it simple for everyone:
  • When a company moves to (or adds) a new extension, it's good news because it is evidence that new extensions are gaining traction.
  • But when a company abandons a new extension and reverts to .com or ccTLD it doesn't matter. It's just an accident.
  • When a company applies for its own corpTLD, it's good news because it is proof that big companies are endorsing new extensions and moving away from .com.
  • But when they are still not using them years later, it's unimportant. Examples: nic.microsoft, nic.apple. What matters is that they have reserved them.
  • When a company applies for its own corpTLD, it's good news because they are going to bring them in front of consumers and foster public awareness, and domain investors will benefit.
  • But when dozens of companies kill their own corpTLDs after just 2-3 years, it's not important because those TLDs never were open to the public and domainers anyway.

•••
keep hating cause new gTLDs will continue to slow down your .com and ccTLD sales.

As I told you before, I'm having my best year ever, 99.5+% .com. Each year since I started gets better, that was my goal. I think that's a belief you guys want to have for the some of the posts from the more experienced, people actually getting sales, or paying attention. You don't actually want look at reality because that would dash any hope you have left. You own personal experience with selling 0 domains in you life should be sort of a big clue. If you're holding for 5 figures, you'll never get a sale with the portfolio you currently have. You're just collecting/hoarding bad names at this point, not investing. And you certainly shouldn't be giving others advice on it.

Looking at the names I've sold, I really don't see many new gtlds competing with the ones I've sold, so they wouldn't have an affect on my sales. I did sell 3 realestate.coms and a photography .com, so maybe there but I think those buyers would have went with .com anyway, since they like to roll with the best and not settle for second rate extensions.

Forget the posts on the forum, look at usage. Tell me why it's almost half China according to - https://ntldstats.com/country

Why haven't other countries flocked to these?

Somebody posted recently looking at startups that they go with .ai of all extensions more than all new gtlds combined. Why?

Or if I look at startups being looked at by DNGeek, like today's post - http://dngeek.com/2017/10/91-newly-funded-startups-domain-names-ve-com-kudos-com-kolos-com/

Today it's 3 out of 100. When I looked at more weeks, it hovered around 2% usage. Why so low? If those on new gtlds grow, they're going to eventually want to get the .com.

Think of the money you and others have put on these new extensions. If you put that money on good .coms, you most likely would be better off with sales.

Last edited:
•••
Let me recap so as to make it simple for everyone:
  • When a company moves to (or adds) a new extension, it's good news because it is evidence that new extensions are gaining traction.
  • But when a company abandons a new extension and reverts to .com or ccTLD it doesn't matter. It's just an accident.
  • When a company applies for its own corpTLD, it's good news because it is proof that big companies are endorsing new extensions and moving away from .com.
  • But when they are still not using them years later, it's unimportant. Examples: nic.microsoft, nic.apple. What matters is that they have reserved them.
  • When a company applies for its own corpTLD, it's good news because they are going to bring them in front of consumers and foster public awareness, and domain investors will benefit.
  • But when dozens of companies kill their own corpTLDs after just 2-3 years, it's not important because those TLDs never were open to the public and domainers anyway.

when 100 .com a day are reported as selling they are dying.. when 1 nGTLD is selling .com is dying...

if one points out that nGTLDs are not successful one is a hater with a dying .com portfolio

if you have nGTLD 0 sales your portfolio is becoming more valuable year after year

magic really

Last edited:
•••
Katy Perry explains the dominance of dot-com, and that it's not going away in her song "Swish Swish"

So keep calm, honey, I'ma stick around
For more than a minute, get used to it
Funny my name keeps comin' outcho mouth
'Cause I stay winning
Lay 'em up like
Swish, swish, bish
Another one in the basket

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't see myself as a "non-com".
I use my "com" as redirections to my new domains .

•••
We often have a preconceived notion that .com domains are the best for online presence and business. Businesses around the world are now moving away from the herd mentality and are opting for the new TLDs which reflect their brand and business in a better way. The primary reason to opt out of .com is that these small businesses are able to secure good keywords in the new extensions.
Barclays, one of the largest banking services in UK, changed their web address to new and cool name Home.Barclays in mid 2015.
The trend was soon followed by the Saxo Bank of Denmark who switched to Home.Sexo in 2016. Thus began the migration of the big companies from the .COM to their own extensions.
This strategy is well used by some other business like Lusso-Clothing.co.uk who switched to Lusso.bike. It is interesting to note that Lusso is a 33 years company so even older companies are following this cool trend...
Read More

Barclays should really have Barclays.bank which either was available and or is yet to be issued but as. Bank is a gtld Barclays.bank will be bought by them or someone else wanting to appear to be them which is why they effectively need to buy it as defensive branding

•••
A law firm that uses a new gtld

Sports.legal

A gtld I bought for Β£35 and I let it it expire they now own it and the website address suits their business perfectly

•••
Barclays should really have Barclays.bank which either was available and or is yet to be issued but as. Bank is a gtld Barclays.bank will be bought by them or someone else wanting to appear to be them which is why they effectively need to buy it as defensive branding

Orange, also operator of its ".orange" extension, announced the launching of its Bank named "Orange Bank". Guess what?

•••
Because they were conned into thinking this was the next big thing for their branding.
How come ordinary people are still unfamiliar with new extensions if they are doing so well.
Did you ever question why ?

Dozens of big companies have already terminated their TLDs. Do I need to send you the link again ?
Did you ever question why ?

Multi million dollar companies also had .mobi domains back in the day. Just saying.
Other than domainers, marketing departements and IP lawyers, nobody noticed and nobody remembers.

Some gtlds are perfect for some businesses

gtlds make perfect sense to most

With the exception to those who have filled their boots with vast. Com portfolios

And those that don't understand the great seo benefits that gtlds represent

No one types (com) in to Google to find the first company at the top of the first page of Google for the word (com) but Google did rank it but no one wanted to be ranked for it

But the gtld part of the gtld domain does rank in Google as the word or industry sector it represents which businesses want to be ranked in google for which is why gtlds make perfect sense for businesses

•••
Orange, also operator of its ".orange" extension, announced the launching of its Bank named "Orange Bank". Guess what?

They own Orange.bank?

The. Com is a third bit on the end that sits there doing nothing and it gets in the way of organic seo which is why gtlds offer better value for money to businesses

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back