IT.COM

poll The Global "Do Not Email" List

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you add your email to a trusted "Do Not Email" list?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

• Probably not

• No, I don't want to miss out

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Impact
In the United States, there is a National Do Not Call Registry to prevent telemarketing calls to your phone.

What if the domain industry had something similar for email addresses?
  • As a domainer, would you manually check this list before emailing someone that you found from WHOIS?
  • As a developer, would you integrate this into your bulk email software?
  • Poll: Would you add your own email address(es) to this list?

For these questions, let's assume the following:
  • The service is run and hosted by a non-profit company that you trust.
  • It's impossible to view the entire list.
  • Everyone is limited to checking one email address at a time to see if it's on the list.
  • The service provides an API for software developers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I would think it would just be a matter of time before the list is hacked and used as a great spamming list

•••
In the uk we can a call preference service which although I have registered with I still get sh*t loads of spam calls.. Here it only works with those that comply sadly, its those that do not comply are the calls I do not want :)

As for your question, the same would happen .. Good companies would comply

•••
I would think it would just be a matter of time before the list is hacked and used as a great spamming list

It'd be far easier for spammers to scrape public WHOIS data like they already do.

For the service, we would only need to add our email addresses that are already publicly accessible (listed on our domains, posted in blog comments, etc.).

•••
just like the do not call list, it would not be respected.

•••
In the uk we can a call preference service which although I have registered with I still get sh*t loads of spam calls.. Here it only works with those that comply sadly, its those that do not comply are the calls I do not want :)

As for your question, the same would happen .. Good companies would comply
it only works with companies in the UK who are legal obliged to obay it. The problem is many cold calls are done from abroad and as such the companies do not have comply with UK legislation.

I wouldnt add my email as people say it could be hacked and even still, it wont stop spam -only slow it down (maybe).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back