Dynadot

discuss The GAP between gTLD and equivalent .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I just reg'd the domain; Absurdity.today just to prove a point. While I paid just 1.99 to reg absurdity.today, the equivalent one word absurdity.com appraises at GD for $5,545, whereas GD appraises absurdity.today for <less than $100. What a joke:xf.grin: Let's do the math...$5,545 divided by $100 is 55.45.....holly crap! And domainers don't believe consumers will click on the likes of FreePizza.today or Absurdity.today just out of curiosity?

Ever since I was introduced to this industry and Namepro's just a few months ago, I thought this industry was F'd Up.....I've changed my mind, I don't just think it's F'd Up....I KNOW it's F'd Up!

Bulloney

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In downtown West Palm Beach along the bay a condo complex is under construction. I have seen a nearby real estate agency with a banner in their window advertising this property with "Starting at $5 million..." Seems like a lot of money for a condo but there are wealthy people who live in Palm Beach on the other side of the bay. Who knows? Sadly a couple hundred meters just north from that location under the bridge you will find a couple of homeless individuals. Another several hundred meters north of there along the bay in the early morning hours you will find other homeless people sleeping in the morning (on days I don't lift weights or run I go for a walk). Almost the same location and bay view but those few hundred meters make a world of difference...

•••
In downtown West Palm Beach along the bay a condo complex is under construction. I have seen a nearby real estate agency with a banner in their window advertising this property with "Starting at $5 million..." Seems like a lot of money for a condo but there are wealthy people who live in Palm Beach on the other side of the bay. Who knows? Sadly a couple hundred meters just north from that location under the bridge you will find a couple of homeless individuals. Another several hundred meters north of there along the bay in the early morning hours you will find other homeless people sleeping in the morning (on days I don't lift weights or run I go for a walk). Almost the same location and bay view but those few hundred meters make a world of difference...
I'm very familiar with WPB...I use to own a condo on the ICW in Stuart. But comparing "homeless and the rich and famous" to "gTLD's and .coms" is absurd....and thanks, you really made my point:xf.grin:

•••
Change your title.

You can't compare ngtlds to one-keyword .coms.
The equivalent of a ngtld is a two-keyword .com.

•••
While I paid just 1.99 to reg absurdity.today, the equivalent one word absurdity.com appraises at GD for $5,545

If we were to agree that new gTLDS are the future, how long is the investor hold?

The internet is still relatively new. So while .com may be king today, it'd be naive to assume a king will always be king. The question is: How long will .com reign? 25 years? 50 years? 100 years? 500 years?

With that said, new gTLD's aren't the most "investor friendly" given their renewal fee's. Let's say it takes 25 years for .com to be dethroned. Tomorrow's renewal price for .Today is roughly $25 a year?

.TODAY: 25 years X $25 renewal = $625

.COM: 25 years X $9 renewal = $225

+/- $400

Thus, if you plan to hold for the future (25+ years) you could buy a .Today for X <or> you could use X + $400 to buy a .com. What will captain hindsight say is the better deal?

Last edited:
•••
If we were to agree that new gTLDS are the future, how long is the investor hold?

The internet is still relatively new. So while .com may be king today, it'd be naive to assume a king will always be king. The question is: How long will .com reign? 25 years? 50 years? 100 years? 500 years?

With that said, new gTLD's aren't the most "investor friendly" given their renewal fee's. Let's say it takes 25 years for .com to be dethroned. Tomorrow's renewal price for .Today is roughly $25 a year?

.TODAY: 25 years X $25 renewal = $625

.COM: 25 years X $9 renewal = $225

+/- $400

Thus, if you plan to hold for the future (25+ years) you could buy a .Today for X <or> you could use X + $400 to buy a .com. What will captain hindsight say is the better deal?

Grilled...in 25 years I'll be 95, and in 500 years I'll be 570. While I'm confident I'll make it to 95, I'm not so sure about 570:xf.frown:. btw, what's all this talk about .com being replaced anyway? The new gTLD's were never meant to replace .com, but rather as an alternative when .com is already taken, or the new gTLD happens to be a better fit:xf.wink: For example, take iLiveFor.today vs. iLiveFor.com. What do your live for Grilled, .today or .com? Does any of this make sense?

All this talk about .com ever being replaced is just misdirection and cheap psychology. myMoney.today is riding on the new gTLD's:xf.grin:

Bulloney

•••
Grilled...in 25 years I'll be 95, and in 500 years I'll be 570. While I'm confident I'll make it to 95, I'm not so sure about 570:xf.frown:.

Heck, any of us could pass at any time. Take the blockchain lady who recently passed at 50. Domains are assets. And they can be passed down generationally. But when you look at domains in this light, long term renewals need to be considered.

Take emoji domains for instance. They are new. And they're probably a little before their time. However, 50+ years from now, who knows? So while some may see a .ws domain promo reg fee at $5, others may see it as a 50 year hold @ $20 renewal per year, ie a $1,000 domain. If somebody were to say they paid $1,000 for an emoji .ws domain, most would assume that's an enduser price. But if that $1,000 was just in prepaid renewals, then it's essentially early adopter reseller hold price, given the domainer is in it for the future price 50 years out. Possibly the worlds longest lasting lottery ticket. The thing is, are these domains really 50 year holds? Could they be bought 25 years from now, and then held for another 25 years thus saving 25 years in renewal fee's?

Does an emoji .ws lottery ticket lose its future value if new gTLDS, and/or .com started allowing emoji? On supply and demand level, yes, significantly. However, if left of the dot matches right of the dot, I don't think value will be negatively effected. Though, I'm not sure what emoji (besides maybe ⚾.ws ((world series 😭)) is a perfect match for .ws. (unless the .ws means web site really catches fire among consumers and long term branding campaigns / developed usage) But if emoji domains were to be released on new gTLD's, something like ⚾.today, might be a better option than ⚾.ws...

btw, what's all this talk about .com being replaced anyway?

I don't believe I said .com will ever be replaced. I did say dethrone. Meaning, certain word .gTLD valued more than same word in .com.

Will Grill.Club ever be more desirable (or worth more to an enduser) than something such as Grill.com?

ccTLDs have been around for a while, will they ever out value a .com or a new gTLD?

iLiveFor.com | iLiveFor.Today | iLiveFor.sex | iLiveFor.it ?

There are many options right of the dot. .COM has been king for quite some time. I doubt there will ever be a complete uprising, but I do wonder what the internet will look like 50 years from now.

Will Home.Loans ever be worth more than HomeLoans.com?

What will Captain Hindsight say the best possible EMD for a stock broker 50 years from now?

(1) Stock.Broker (2) StockBroker.com (3) Stock.Broker.Com (4) StockBroker.Today (5) StockBrok.er ccTLD domain hack. IF .er were to allow registrations,

Last edited:
•••
Heck, any of us could pass at any time. Take the blockchain lady who recently passed at 50. Domains are assets. And they can be passed down generationally. But when you look at domains in this light, long term renewals need to be considered.

Take emoji domains for instance. They are new. And they're probably a little before their time. However, 50+ years from now, who knows? So while some may see a .ws domain promo reg fee at $5, others may see it as a 50 year hold @ $20 renewal per year, ie a $1,000 domain. If somebody were to say they paid $1,000 for an emoji .ws domain, most would assume that's an enduser price. But if that $1,000 was just in prepaid renewals, then it's essentially early adopter reseller hold price, given the domainer is in it for the future price 50 years out. Possibly the worlds longest lasting lottery ticket.

Does an emoji .ws lottery ticket lose its future value if new gTLDS, and/or .com started allowing emoji? On supply and demand level, yes, significantly. However, if left of the dot matches right of the dot, I don't think value will be negatively effected. Though, I'm not sure what emoji (besides maybe ⚾.ws ((world series 😭)) is a perfect match for .ws. (unless the .ws means web site really catches fire among consumers and long term branding campaigns / developed usage)

I don't believe I said .com will ever be replaced. I did say dethrone. Meaning, certain word .gTLD valued more than same word in .com.

Will Grill.Club ever be more desirable (or worth more to an enduser) than something such as Grill.com?

ccTLDs have been around for a while, will they ever out value a .com or a new gTLD?

iLiveFor.com | iLiveFor.Today | iLiveFor.sex | iLiveFor.it ?

There are many options right of the dot. .COM has been king for quite some time. I doubt there will ever be a complete uprising, but I do wonder what the internet will look like 50 years from now.

Will Home.Loans ever be worth more than HomeLoans.com?

What will Captain Hindsight say the best possible EMD for a stock broker 50 years from now?

(1) Stock.Broker (2) StockBroker.com (3) Stock.Broker.Com (4) StockBroker.Today (5) StockBrok.er ccTLD domain hack. IF .er were to allow registrations,

Heck Grilled...who's looking for them to be worth "more" than the equivalent .com? I'm just looking for them to be worth 1/10 as much. If a few of them become worth just 1/2 as much, I'll make millions from my little gTLD portfolio:xf.grin:

•••
who's looking for them to be worth "more" than the equivalent .com?

Oh boy, there are a lot of them out there lol.

I'm not one of them. But I do wonder, 50 years from now, what will be.

.COM has roughly a 30 year head start, and it's backed by a treasure chest of renewal fee's. So while it's unlikely the king will be dethroned any time soon, 50 years from now, who knows what the grand children of today's millennials will be doing online.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back