Dynadot

question What happens if you renew a .com domain for the maximum 10 years and then have to transfer it to another registrar?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
Because of the .com price increase, I am thinking to renew some of my .com for up to the 10-year maximum. The only thing I'm thinking about is - what would happen, if I then, for some reason have to move the domain from the current registrar to another one? As in - normally, that would add an extra year on but if it would already be maxed out at 10 years?

Would it be better to renew for up to 9 years only just in case this would happen?

UPDATED:

I didn't explain this correctly - I transferred 50+ .com domains yesterday (and I will do more before the price increase on September 1st) and I'm looking to renew them now (to add extra years) and I'm trying to figure out how long to renew them for... My question really is - if I renew for the maximum term possible which I understand is 10 years and then, if the domains have to be transferred again (let's say there is another Epik-like situation) - then - would I not be loosing out on that extra year I'm meant to get added on because it would already be maxed out at 10 years?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It could be possible to negotiate terms of transfer with a bulk list. One domain and one year isn't a concern.

•••
It could be possible to negotiate terms of transfer with a bulk list. One domain and one year isn't a concern.
Sorry I didn't explain this correctly - I transferred 50+ .com domains yesterday and I'm looking to renew them now and I'm trying to figure out how long to renew them for. My question really is - if I renew for the maximum term possible which I understand is 10 years and then, if the domains have to be transferred again (let's say there is another Epik-like situation) - then - would I not be loosing out on that extra year I'm meant to get added on because it would already be maxed out at 10 years?

•••
The gaining registrar is charged for 1 additional year, but the expiration date will remain the maximum of 10 years in the future.

Last edited:
•••
The gaining registrar is charged for 1 additional year, but the expiration date will remain the maximum of 10 years.
The gaining registrar and I be charged for the extra year and get nothing. How does that work with split years then? Let's say as an example that you transferring a domain today that has a current expiration date of January 1st, 2033. That's 9 years and 129 days away. Would it 'fill up' to the exact 10-year mark?

•••
The gaining registrar and I be charged for the extra year and get nothing. How does that work with split years then? Let's say as an example that you transferring a domain today that has a current expiration date of January 1st, 2033. That's 9 years and 129 days away. Would it 'fill up' to the exact 10-year mark?
I think that only whole years can be added, no less.

https://www.icann.org/en/registry-a...al-and-performance-specifications-6-1-2010-en

Section 8

2. Supported initial and renewal registration periods

a. Initial registrations of Registered Names (where available according to functional specifications and other requirements) may be made in the registry for terms of up to ten years.

b. Renewal registrations of Registered Names (where available according to functional specifications and other requirements) may be made in the registry for terms not to exceed a total of ten years.

c. Upon change of sponsorship of the registration of a Registered Name from one registrar to another, according to Part A of the ICANN Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars, the term of registration of the Registered Name shall be extended by one year, provided that the maximum term of the registration as of the effective date of sponsorship change shall not exceed ten years.

d. The change of sponsorship of registration of Registered Names from one registrar to another, according to Part B of the ICANN Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars shall not result in the extension of the term of the registrations and Registry Operator may assist in such change of sponsorship.

Last edited:
•••
Only register for 8 or 9 years instead of 10 years.

•••
Since domains can only ever have a max of ten years registration at any given time, sometimes the registry won't allow domain transfers that already have nine years of registration. JFYI.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back