IT.COM

discuss The feeling when you find a available name and then it's gone

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
I guess most experienced domainers have experienced this: You are searching for names and you find a good one. You are adding it to the cart, but when it is time for the payment, it is taken by another one. You check whois and yes, it was taken within the last hour, or less.

Depending on the quality of the name, the feeling can vary from being lightly irritated to the edge of going insane. :hungover: :arghh: :xf.wink:

Do you have any related stories to share?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So you are at the front line. I’m so behind, always months gap. The smallest gap was a few days.

•••
I guess most experienced domainers have experienced this: You are searching for names and you find a good one. You are adding it to the cart, but when it is time for the payment, it is taken by another one. You check whois and yes, it was taken within the last hour, or less.

Depending on the quality of the name, the feeling can vary from being lightly irritated to the edge of going insane. :hungover: :arghh: :xf.wink:

Can you share the "keyword" or "Niche" that ended up being registered...

•••
Used to happen a lot back when I first started as I like expired domains. Mann and Berkens would beat my expired hand regs everytime until i was able to get the moniker catcher which helped out some. Seems like Mr. Newby would be in every godaddy auction I liked. It's hard to find quality names but refreshing when you see you're buying what the big shots are buying. Thankfully I enjoy the treasure hunt and experienced enough to make money on the buy.

•••
Hasn't happened to me yet, although I'm waiting on it. I've had a few "scares" where either a glitch caused the payment to not go through, or my purchase attempt was flagged as potential fraud by my card company (lol, this used to happen a lot until I did a bit of complaining).

In the cases where my card provider balked, I just switched to a different payment method or used a different registrar (usually with the same card, in an effort to rule out registrar site issues). Needless to say, even in those situations, I didn't lose any of the names I had planned on purchasing.

On another note: I've heard so many people complain about using PayPal. PayPal is the best thing that's happened to me since I decided to become a "hardcore" domainer. I don't doubt people have had problems with it--it just hasn't been my experience (I can safely say that after purchasing quite a number of domains using that payment method).

I mostly purchase on impulse. Every so often, I'll try to make a small list before buying. But once I'm (relatively) sure the domain is available, I don't let too much time pass before attempting to buy.

•••

I was looking earlier in the week

Found a peach of a domain name

But want to buy it in two to three weeks time and hope its still there

If it is ill say what i bought

•••

would you like to share the name?

•••
It has happened to me several times. The last one was yesterday with Space.blue. Fortunately I was just a little frustrated for a minute or two...

And yes, I have sold two .blue names, so they don't need to be "worthless" ;)

•••
Happened to me also, lesson learned was to register the domain asap after you 've found it!!
in my case time between fnd the name & register it was more than hours!

Last edited:
•••
Happened to me also, lesson learned was to register the domain asap after you 've found it!!

Yes, the faster the better! (y)

•••

You should have seen my excitement when it showed dumptrump.com available. I thought I had won the lottery. It was a similar feeling of your first kiss or getting that really hot woman out on a date.. Then to only have my hopes and dreams crushed when the "error" popped up as I tried to put it in my cart. It was almost as bad as getting friend zoned by that hot woman. It was almost as deflating as the first time I owed income taxes instead of receiving a return.

•••
Every now and then Namecheap let me put one in my cart and start payment but then tell me something that was listed is not really available. The latest time that happened to me was this week, when I thought I had managed to buy the.name for $8.88. But alas, I do not own the.name.

•••
Happened to me many times. It physically hurts :) But even more painful is the situation where you go through your older findings and realize that you've overlooked some name and it has been available for you to reg, say, a couple of weeks and then you go and try to reg it and it has been regged the previous day. Maddening. Happened to me so many times that I've even got a word for it: name blindness.

•••
I registered a .today just now. godaddy shows that one was taken. I went to another registrar and got it. Cost me another 2 dollars :arghh:

•••
It happens to me very often. The feeling is even rarer when you are able to register it and then receive an email stating it was an error, as I experienced when I was able to hand-register
Kweb.com.

When the registration went through, I was so surprised that I even called GoDaddy to confirm I got the name. The agent said “yes, it’s yours” and later the same day I got a message stating it was a system error.

•••
It happens to me very often. The feeling is even rarer when you are able to register it and then receive an email stating it was an error, as I experienced when I was able to hand-register
Kweb.com.

When the registration went through, I was so surprised that I even called GoDaddy to confirm I got the name. The agent said “yes, it’s yours” and later the same day I got a message stating it was a system error.
You shouldn't have called them to confirm. Just check the whois and locked it up.

•••
It happened to me just a few days ago, as last week I had targeted PayMack.com to be registered in a few days. When I went back to register it, it had been registered on April 15th. It has happened to me before, and makes you think, hmmmm...did someone see a search I did online somewhere, and register it, before I could, or was it simply a case of "simultaneous invention"?

•••
It happened to me just a few days ago, as last week I had targeted PayMack.com to be registered in a few days. When I went back to register it, it had been registered on April 15th. It has happened to me before, and makes you think, hmmmm...did someone see a search I did online somewhere, and register it, before I could, or was it simply a case of "simultaneous invention"?
Was that a drop?

•••
Was that a drop?[/QUOTE

I just searched and see that it last dropped in Nov. 2015. ! It was available for hand reg. when I checked it last week and then "poof" it was gone a few days later!

•••
I registered a .today just now. godaddy shows that one was taken. I went to another registrar and got it. Cost me another 2 dollars :arghh:

This is happening often with GoDaddy. Newly released domains will often be shown as taken at GD for a few days.

•••
To be fair the new tld releases were a sh/tst0rm for many. Some registrars make their own prices aside from registries. Look for any afternic listed domain on name.com or who.is
Domaining is definitely a cut throat industry.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back