Dynadot

Google buys G.co

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
Google joins Internet biggies Twitter (no_url_shorteners) , Overstock (O.co) and Amazon (A.Co, Z.Co and K.Co) today in taking over the G.Co domain name, buying the TLD in order to build the official URL shortcut for Google products like GMail, Documents and Photos. While representatives from the .Co registry wouldn’t comment on the pricing of the deal, .Co-founder Juan Diego Calle recently told Reuters that a single letter domain like G.Co costs more than*$1.5 million.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/18/go...an-official-url-shortcut-for-google-products/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another URL shortener. Who cares?

I am sure the registry would be happy to just give G.co to Google, as this provided a well timed press release with the renewal anniversary tomorrow.

Brad

•••

I am sure the registry would be happy to just give G.co to Google, as this provided a well timed press release with the renewal anniversary tomorrow.

Brad

Don't be a hater, Brad :)

•••

Brad

Thats exactly what I thought too. .CO is being synonymous with an URL shortener site.

•••
Another shortener extension who cares :)

•••
While I am sick and tired of these shortener too you have to admit, having such big dogs like Google, Twitter and Amazon adopting the extension can only be a good thing, it legitimises it in a way that extensions like .biz and even .net have never been able to.

And that can only be a good thing for all...

•••

Brad

agree!

•••
While I am sick and tired of these shortener too you have to admit, having such big dogs like Google, Twitter and Amazon adopting the extension can only be a good thing, it legitimises it in a way that extensions like .biz and even .net have never been able to.
G.CN: owned by Google but not resolving correctly (404 page).
Is .cn valuable now ?

•••
Is .cn valuable now ?

If it had been valuable, don't you think they would at least have announced it on their blog?

•••
•••
Is .cn valuable now ?

I never said .co was valuable simply because some of the bigger players have domains, they all have much lesser domain extensions and those were never used...

It is not necessary for Google to get g.co their brand to protect which can only mean one thing, they are going to use it in some way which will bring up the profile of the entire extension if not the value of the individual domains, lets face it...there are going to still be some really bad domains out there :p

•••
At least it's better than their no_url_shorteners .........

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back