Dynadot

discuss THE DOWNFALL OF DOMAINING?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
Has the influx of 400+ tlds contributed to the downfall of domaining?

have you found the industry take a dramatic drop in profits and sales?

Imo this industry is about to get a major tune up and its not in a good way.

millions of domains will be worthless or already are

drops will exceed any dropped stats in the past

millions of $ will/has been lost by domainers to registrars.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.COM is the dot less domain.

My company is BrandChimp, not BrandChimp dot agency.

Other than brandability, .COM pricing is fair and simple to understand

Registry premium domains at ridiculous pricing is a big WTF? Do you want your domains to be used by many????? Reduce your price and let us register and USE the names we want!

I have hand registered JeuxCloud and Jeux dot cloud is for sale by the registry at only $18,000.....
*Means Cloud Games in French.

Registries are CYBER SQUATTING
Simple, you can't register TradeMarkDomains but you can charge up to $25,000 for TradeMark.domains...... It SUCKS

.LongKeyword will die as people are looking for short and easy to type domains. ...Seriously bringing long gtld's to life in 2016 isn't smart as we are becoming lazy asses.

•••
Today many people are using facebook pages, twitter, free blogs, wix, weebly.
All of these services are free you dont even need a domain name or even a computer you can just use your phone. Did anyone else factor those in?

I know many people that are looking to "upgrade" their online image by owning a premium .com domains instead of a cutefreedomain.freesite.com or facebook/cute.freedomain

•••
People will have more website-naming options, sure, but as far as .com being king, that is not likely to change for a long time. Even for ngTLD websites, they need the .com to forward to their site. It is that simple.

•••
I look around me, always. And I don't see any, or very rarely. They aren't mainstream at all. I don't know where you live, but I travel often, and I always pay attention to the local Internet landscape. I always see .com and ccTLD and a scattering of extensions such as .eu .org etc.
I haven't seen a lot of new extensions so far, most were in print in magazines.

I might have been misunderstood. When I mentioned "Just look around, new gtlds are everywhere. In fact, they're flourishing.", I was referring to hundreds of new gtlds coming out available for registration. When one searches a domain name say at Godaddy, lots of ngtlds are being shown listed as options. For me, they're flourishing in the sense that these ngtlds are made especially to attract attention. So far, they have multiplied and I don't see them stopping at all...yet.

•••
Yeah ... I still don't register any of his extension because what I want is reserved, pigeon shxx is left for resellers hoping to get a miracle sales.

You can reg/renew .link and .click for $10. and under. North Sound Names, Schilling's company, owns all the desirable phrases and words. :)

•••
, pigeon shxx is left for resellers hoping to get a miracle sales.

Unfortunately this sums up a large part of the nGTLD program.

•••
Unfortunately this sums up a large part of the nGTLD program.

I agree because the registries kept the best keywords for themselves ...

•••
There is Downfall for .com Surely as now people have 400+ other options most of them are meaningless though. Whatever number of domains are registered in these 400+ Tlds everyday these were actually supposed to be .com if these were available, if not they would have been bought from domain market contributing to .com boom. But .COM is .COM people are used .COM. It will continue to rule the market forever even though with a far less price than before.

.com is till the king, In last one month out of Top 100 sales of more than $10,000

.com 70 (The Undisputed King)
.net 7
.org 1
.de 2
.us 5
.co 2
.co.uk 4
.tv 1
.nl 1
.pl 1
.pt 1
.at 1
.io 1
other tlds 3 (all 400+ tlds)

•••
IMO , re the " millions of $ " lost to registrars , you are likely correct and a few thousand of those dollars lost to registrars were at one time my dollars.

I volunteered to buy the many names I've lost dollars on and presumably made the best purchase guestimate I could at the time to evaluate the mis-purchased names spanning many extensions.

New niche extensions with available keywords for specific niche marketplaces will over time, I believe, have a moderate value to end users in their respective niches, although on average will likely sell for a percentage of their parallel .com names.

There will likely be a buyer's market for some of the new niche specific extensions and again IMO new extension sellers may have to accept prices commensurate with new extensions less desirable than their .com parallels.

•••
•••
case closed!

I was replying to your statements artstar. infosec 3 just happened to reply to you at the same time I did. I agreewith infosec 3.

•••
There's waaay to much inventory now. Thankfully most of it is premium priced or garbage.

•••

Yes.... PM me all your .com's and we'll talk about which ones you should just go ahead and push to my accounts ;) I'll save you from losing more money on them.

•••
The title of the thread is pretty alarmist (no offence intended) and will help fuel the thought of a downfall in the minds of those who only read the title !!

I agree. No Downfall. As long as people want (need) domains then domaining lives on.

The obvious change here is supply. There are simply more domain names available. Which puts pressure on existing domains. But it depends of course on what kind of domainer you are and what domains you have.

IMO:
  • When you have a LHS married perfectly with the RHS then you have a domain name that already challenges the .com equivalent. Not for type-ins but in the eyes of end-users (both those who buy the domain and those who see the domain in search results or ads). We won't see this completely until the change becomes recognised by the public.
  • Many dotcom domains which have an equivalent (or superior) dotword form should be worth less (not worthless as suggested, depends on the domain). This doesn't mean it cannot be sold for its previous top price, just that it makes it more difficult.
  • Domainers should assess their portfolio against the changing landscape. It is a storm and although many assets will remain untouched others will be challenged.
Well said.

•••
lots of insight, lots of naivete, have at er

•••

I tend to agree to what you say from my own experience.The fact is there're huge number of domains for sale in aftermarket as compared to the total end users/investors who would actually buy your domain for a decent price..And even these handful of people think 10 times when putting their money to acquire a domain.Arrival of new Tlds has made it more difficult to sell a domain at your desired price.There're lot of good keyword domains in other extensions other than .com which're even available for hand reg fee.People prefer such domains for a hand reg fee instead of paying huge or decent bucks for a premium .com or other domain ext.Moreover like Stocks or Real estate or mutual fund you can't liquid a domain name since its valuation is based on untrusted entities. Its extremely difficult to sell a domain since there're only a fraction of percentage of actual takers as compared to so many countless number of domains up for sale in aftermarket.Selling a domain for million or close to that is like winning a lottery.

•••
Whatever the domain extensions are, the most important thing is the brandibility. The brand is created by person, visionary and creative persons can build better brand, and of course more powerful in the brand. As a seller, you should connect to them, wait for them, to come.

cannot agree more about the saying on "brandability".

•••
I have to agree with above statement by @joro001 the way things are going it's a matter of time before the only people who should hold domains are developers or individuals/business for the purpose of being used for their business and not merely parked or posted on a secondary market in order to make a profit. This makes it more difficult for people to find the right domain. Lets say you have a great idea and the name you wanted is being held by a person investing in domains and they want a fortune for it. Now lets say it is not being used. You're gonna get sued plain and simple. Probably better to forward your domains to other domains that are in use.

•••
Then don't give predators the ammo to kill you. UDRPs are normally lost for good reasons.

Indeed, but:
  • some good names are still slipping through the cracks
  • you have to diversify sources, for example you can buy straight from long-time domain holders. Do your research, move your a$$ and don't follow the crowd :laugh:
As always, quality wins. But if you own domains in poor extensions like .info .biz then yes they are diluted and their value may have decreased.
I am somewhat skeptical about the impact of new extensions on domain sales, because the reported sales remains steady while the new extensions are not getting much traction. .com is still the best selling TLD, and mature ccTLDs are hardly affected. At this point it's not like new extensions are mainstream and everybody is familiar with them. Not at all. Make money now, and worry later if need be.

However domainers buying those new extensions (aka fools gold) are causing their own demise. This could be where the downfall of domaining is happening. And they wonder why making sales is so difficult...

Almost any business has regulations and red tape. For example look at the registries aka the new domainers. Registries are subjects to plenty of regulations and stringent requirements, but it's still an ordinary business. Registries are professional, domainers are amateurs/hobbyists.

Really ? We are witnessing record sales, LL.com are changing hands for huge sums. Good names still command high prices. There is always demand for good names, even for less premium ones. If you are not making sales, you don't have the right inventory so do something about it.
Domainers are too complacent about the quality of their portfolios. If you own average domains, you should aim for end user-friendly prices, which is still a valid business model if you make sales often.

Who do you have in mind other than Berkens who has his own reasons (and is not fully retired) ?

We are not going to agree, I don't see a point in replying to all your points one by one, my view is clear and you are welcome to differ. I am personally doing very well in domains part time and am thrilled with results short term but long term I see real concerns for the reasons stated above.

Each to their own.

•••
•••
Jeez, F Shilling a fellow canuck from BC too posting to 1 of my threads!!
sweet....

rarified company coming in from rarefied air, now how about spending some of that big $$$ on some of my domains FS? lol

well my thread headline may have been a bit over the top but that what it takes sometimes.

tons of great posts folks!

my issue with some of the new gtlds is the high rereg fees but if bankrolled enough that's not really an issue for some but how many of us are domainers with seemingly unlimited doe?

probably 90% of us missed the .com heydays regging premiums for reg fees and selling for tens of thousands + , that's where the gtld goldrush is now filled with those wanting the FS success.

all I can say is good luck to all who partake.

I personally am in one niche now , VR and only dot com.

specialize as RS stated years ago

•••
We are just in a slight lull after what was a HUGE year

•••
The obvious change here is supply. There are simply more domain names available. Which puts pressure on existing domains. But it depends of course on what kind of domainer you are and what domains you have.

Well, I don't agree with you!

If you are afraid of new TLDs increasing the supply then only think of good domains names.......

In new TLDs, there is very less percentage of good domain names, those names are composed of high searches of two-word phrases such as latest.car, in latest.car the last word "car" is TLD so here only one-word that has high searches and high relevancy to the new TLD is a good domain name...... I don't think that the supply has increased in the relation to new businesses are increasing.

•••
Agree.

Registry premium domains at ridiculous pricing is a big WTF?

By "let us" who are you referring to? Domain investors? People here certainly won't "use" new gTLDs. They'll try to sell them. :)

Do you want your domains to be used by many????? Reduce your price and let us register and USE the names we want!

•••
Agree.

By "let us" who are you referring to? Domain investors? People here certainly won't "use" new gTLDs. They'll try to sell them. :)

Even end-users are not willing to pay up to $20,000 a year for a .word domain name.

This is crazy, investors are sellers so they help end-users to understand the value of great domains.

Some registry premium.word are actually not bad but the price is.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back