IT.COM

discuss THE DOWNFALL OF DOMAINING?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
Has the influx of 400+ tlds contributed to the downfall of domaining?

have you found the industry take a dramatic drop in profits and sales?

Imo this industry is about to get a major tune up and its not in a good way.

millions of domains will be worthless or already are

drops will exceed any dropped stats in the past

millions of $ will/has been lost by domainers to registrars.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No downfall at all. The millions of worthless names will be especially the new GTLDs. The .COM will continue to rule and the main GTLDs will remain what they are for a long time.

Nothing is eternal, of course, but no downfall for now. Let's wait for that, if not decades, probably a century.

•••
•••
•••
In mid-, and long- run, new generation of business people, the young men and young women, will become the main power of various societies. Their intentions, passion, determinations to acquire great brands and domain names would never reduce.

Domainers should have the capability of thinking visionary. Something would never lose value, that is the great and stylish names of operating a business, and its relevant intellectual properties.

Up's and down's in short run is not the key. Our visions are.

Whatever the domain extensions are, the most important thing is the brandibility. The brand is created by person, visionary and creative persons can build better brand, and of course more powerful in the brand. As a seller, you should connect to them, wait for them, to come.

•••
case closed!

I was replying to your statements artstar. infosec 3 just happened to reply to you at the same time I did. I agreewith infosec 3.

•••

If people around the world realize and accept domains as assets like Chinese, great time ahead.

•••
In mid-, and long- run, new generation of business people, the young men and young women, will become the main power of various societies. Their intentions, passion, determinations to acquire great brands and domain names would never reduce.

Domainers should have the capability of thinking visionary. Something would never lose value, that is the great and stylish names of operating a business, and its relevant intellectual properties.

Up's and down's in short run is not the key. Our visions are.

Whatever the domain extensions are, the most important thing is the brandibility. The brand is created by person, visionary and creative persons can build better brand, and of course more powerful in the brand. As a seller, you should connect to them, wait for them, to come.

Spot on mate, I have been saying this for a long time now. There is a new breed of entrepreneur these days. Tech savy, young and hip innovators. They dont care about tried and tested and old ways of doing things. They are visionaries and value brand-ability, they have no problem grabbing a new GTLD if it fits in with their brand and company culture.

Sure some of the new gtld's are just silly and over doing it BUT there are many of them that are awesome and will remain in demand for a long time.

•••
eternal optimism in an infernal biziness.

•••
Good names are valuable, and they represent less than 1% of all registered domains.
They just multiplied the supply of worthless domains.
More than ever, you have to buy the right0 domains if you want to make sales.
DNJ has not closed shop yet.

•••
There's waaay to much inventory now. Thankfully most of it is premium priced or garbage.

•••

I don't think domaining will go away anytime soon but I agree that there is something in the air.

A lot of major domainers have been exiting the industry in the past 2 years.

Marchex
Buydomains
Berkens
Elite Domains

Also I think that some years back it seemed to be much easier to make money domaing/parking.

A lot of what you see happening on forums these days resembles a lottery where investors have a short-term memory and chase the next big thing always forgetting that the last next big thing didn't work out, almost never did. Despite that the next big thing is always a sure thing.

The reason why I don't think this is a sign of a healthy market is that domainers(or registries) need to create their own hype and artifical demand and sell among themselves. It highlights a lack of genuine investment opportunities.

Most of what is valuable has already been registered long time ago and when an opportunity exist everyone rushes in trying to get a share of it.

Now if you are a patient and diligent investor you can make money but I would say there are many other industries with far more potential. The hype that is seen in domaining is second to no other industry. Many of the large sales that are being reported simply don't happen or are website sales not domain sales.

The registries, registrars and the auction houses are making fortunes from domaining though.

Last edited:
•••
Domaining will be there irrespective of number of ngTLDs.

•••
Domaining will be there irrespective of number of ngTLDs.

As long as people buy domains there will be domainers. If the ngTLDs were ever to control the market there would be few domainers left. The registries would hire a few domainers to premium price and market their domains and what would be left would be mostly worthless.

•••
As long as people buy domains there will be domainers. If the ngTLDs were ever to control the market there would be few domainers left. The registries would hire a few domainers to premium price and market their domains and what would be left would be mostly worthless.
Absolutely, As long as people buy domains there will be domainersand domaining.

•••
The title of the thread is pretty alarmist (no offence intended) and will help fuel the thought of a downfall in the minds of those who only read the title !!

I agree. No Downfall. As long as people want (need) domains then domaining lives on.

The obvious change here is supply. There are simply more domain names available. Which puts pressure on existing domains. But it depends of course on what kind of domainer you are and what domains you have.

IMO:
  • When you have a LHS married perfectly with the RHS then you have a domain name that already challenges the .com equivalent. Not for type-ins but in the eyes of end-users (both those who buy the domain and those who see the domain in search results or ads). We won't see this completely until the change becomes recognised by the public.
  • Many dotcom domains which have an equivalent (or superior) dotword form should be worth less (not worthless as suggested, depends on the domain). This doesn't mean it cannot be sold for its previous top price, just that it makes it more difficult.
  • Domainers should assess their portfolio against the changing landscape. It is a storm and although many assets will remain untouched others will be challenged.

•••

Yes.... PM me all your .com's and we'll talk about which ones you should just go ahead and push to my accounts ;) I'll save you from losing more money on them.

•••
My grandmothers house was the only one in the neighborhood 60 years ago. Its value was low. Now there's 1000s of houses around it. Now the value is high. The same rings true for domain names.

•••
The only downside I see is more people who think they are domainers trying to enter the business via nTLDs. The "buy domains" page here less than a year ago was full of .coms and now it's bozos trying to sell 3 day old .VIP, .HotGarbage, and .Diarrhea for $xxx.

Good names will increase in value as they will represent a smaller percentage of inventory, and it will further make end-users wary of anything other than .com/.net/.org

•••
The title of the thread is pretty alarmist (no offence intended) and will help fuel the thought of a downfall in the minds of those who only read the title !!

I agree. No Downfall. As long as people want (need) domains then domaining lives on.

The obvious change here is supply. There are simply more domain names available. Which puts pressure on existing domains. But it depends of course on what kind of domainer you are and what domains you have.

IMO:
  • When you have a LHS married perfectly with the RHS then you have a domain name that already challenges the .com equivalent. Not for type-ins but in the eyes of end-users (both those who buy the domain and those who see the domain in search results or ads). We won't see this completely until the change becomes recognised by the public.
  • Many dotcom domains which have an equivalent (or superior) dotword form should be worth less (not worthless as suggested, depends on the domain). This doesn't mean it cannot be sold for its previous top price, just that it makes it more difficult.
  • Domainers should assess their portfolio against the changing landscape. It is a storm and although many assets will remain untouched others will be challenged.
Well said.

•••
I really love these "is domaining dead? " threads

everybody knows that .com was in 2000

and yes you are all late to the party
- but when I was young I always went to parties late .... -

•••
lots of insight, lots of naivete, have at er

•••
Domains will remain needed in the business. You just need to use the right extension.

Stop buying pigeon sh*t (RS).

•••
I see many of domainers are more like front end day traders. They buy, and they sell. I doubt if they really love domains like some of us love master pieces of art works, photography, watches, diamonds, or cars.

A successful domainer must love their commodities, the names, and can find the beautiful side of their commodities. It is none about businesses, none about money and profit.

I love to own domains, first, is because I love them and I want to keep them. And the second is to trade some of them if I do not need them any more and someone really need it or want to pay for it.

In 2009, when I graduated and became an entrepreneur, it was the first time in my life I realize the importance of domain names. At that time, most of keyword and catchy names have been registered. So I and my friends gathered together to try to generate some new great but non-registered names for our businesses.

Slowly, I realized I started to enjoy this searching game. Everytime when I created a name that I enjoyed a lot and registered successfully, I felt great. I treasured all the names I have. I enjoyed to have them rather than sell them for a profit.

I dont rely on domain sales to make a living, but I enjoy having fun with domain names. I dont feel great when I make a profit, because I feel sorry to say goodbye with my names; I dont feel sad if I have nothing sales achieved, because I can keep my ownership with my domains.

Same to many of you, I am a visionary person. Holding a thousand of names is not easy. My faith is always to turn those great names into the real branding and see the new brands rise up. I have interests in many different areas like media and tech, so I asked myself, if I dont make any money but lose money to hold these great names, am I still a good domainer? My answer is yes. Because I love my domain names.

So I dont feel lose. I dont feel panic. I dont feel yes or no, right or wrong. I am happy as I am doing what I enjoy to do.

•••
about 1 month ago, someone inquired through godaddy if I want to sell a domain. Later I realized they are a Christian church and the name they showed interest was actually under their ownership.

I just gave the name to them for free. I am not a rich person. But I know what can make me happy. I love God.

•••
Back