Dynadot

The domain JixHost.com was hijacked and stolen to another registrar

NameSilo
Watch

Jose Nobio

Established Member
Impact
I'm an owner of an industry recognized webhosting provider "Jixhost.com" since 2008 for which my domain was hijacked on October of 2020 from Domains Priced Right (GoDaddy) to Namecheap under a different registrant located in the middle east which has made a copy of my website and essentially stole a business I've had for 12 years.

I had immediately opened an unauthorized domain transfer dispute with my registrar and after 3 months they reply that Namecheap responded that the transfer was "authorized"

I've also posted 3 videos on my YouTube channel "WebsitePlex" regarding what happened.

I'm hoping it would be of enough value to the community to learn from and to bring to light this unfortunate situation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you present any evidence to Domains Priced Right (GoDaddy) indicating the domain was stolen, or did their logs show any unusual activity (such as logins from the Middle East if that's not where you are from, someone calling to gain access to your account, etc.)?

Did you have two factor authentication enabled?

If I remember correctly, since NameCheap is the current registrar, they are the ones that make the decision based on the presented evidence. I think there is a policy regarding appeals, if you don't agree with the decision.

•••
Godaddy, no surprise.

Namecheap surprises me, NC prides security

Will @Rob Monster has registrar, trust Rob.

What would you do if you were him, Rob?!! —
Epik is my favorite registrar, never lost a DN.

Last edited:
•••
Did you present any evidence to Domains Priced Right (GoDaddy) indicating the domain was stolen, or did their logs show any unusual activity (such as logins from the Middle East if that's not where you are from, someone calling to gain access to your account, etc.)?

Did you have two factor authentication enabled?

If I remember correctly, since NameCheap is the current registrar, they are the ones that make the decision based on the presented evidence. I think there is a policy regarding appeals, if you don't agree with the decision.

They claimed to have provided Namecheap with evidence and that it was under investigation. When I asked for their evidence for my records, they responded that I would need a subpoena. 2FA was not enabled, unfortunately.

•••
I pm @tamar she is namecheap rep. Sorry for your loss, hopefully your name be back in your hands soon.
Thank you for sharing

•••
Yes, I was tagged on this while already investigating the matter. I follow all mentions of the brand here so not to worry, you need not ping me directly, I check daily (yet it's midnight here so I may respond at more reasonable hours, but I will reply).

In terms of this situation, we are sorry to hear about the issue faced with the domain name. It is better to contact either GoDaddy or Namecheap support and ask them what other possible options you have in order to get access to the domain name. In this case, I am not at liberty to disclose anything further as it is a sensitive security matter and this is a public forum, yet I can say it appears like it was a process between two registrars.

I should note that there also isn't any communication our team has seen in 2021 about this issue. Please provide the ticket number if for some reason I am incorrect.

•••
Yes, I was tagged on this while already investigating the matter. I follow all mentions of the brand here so not to worry, you need not ping me directly, I check daily (yet it's midnight here so I may respond at more reasonable hours, but I will reply).

In terms of this situation, we are sorry to hear about the issue faced with the domain name. It is better to contact either GoDaddy or Namecheap support and ask them what other possible options you have in order to get access to the domain name. In this case, I am not at liberty to disclose anything further as it is a sensitive security matter and this is a public forum, yet I can say it appears like it was a process between two registrars.

I should note that there also isn't any communication our team has seen in 2021 about this issue. Please provide the ticket number if for some reason I am incorrect.

On February 5, 2021 I got this response from Domains Priced Right (GoDaddy)

Update to [Incident ID: 43210748] - JIXHOST COM

Inbox

transferdisputes secureserver.net

Fri, Feb 5, 12:00 PM

to me

Here's our response to your request.

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response
Hello,

We have received an update regarding JIXHOST COM, NameCheap has concluded the transfer was valid. Please understand that we did everything in our power to get the domain back into your possession.

Here are a couple options for you to consider:

1. Contact the current owner of the domain name
2. Consult legal counsel regarding your options

We are left with no alternative but to consider the matter closed.

Kind regards.

David
Transfer Disputes

•••
You will need to reopen the issue with Namecheap because we have nothing in 2021 from you.

•••
You will need to reopen the issue with Namecheap because we have nothing in 2021 from you.

I've submitted a ticket to Namecheap below, I'm not sure if I also need to open another unauthorized transfer dispute action with Domains Priced Right (GoDaddy)?

Ticket ID #RXD-639-91139
First and Last Name Jose Nobio
Email josemail1972 gmail.com
Type Issue
Priority High

Subject: Unauthorized Domain Transfer to Namecheap (JixHost.com)

•••
I will pass this on. You may want to keep this info more private out of the sensitivity to some of the info shared here.

•••
I will pass this on. You may want to keep this info more private out of the sensitivity to some of the info shared here.

Thank you. If Namecheap needs any additional documentation such as jixhost's tax returns, logo (Trademark) or anything else related, please let me know.

•••
Thanks - the team will reopen the ticket and respond to you there.

•••
Praying you get your domain back and business running again.

Good luck 👍.

•••
Thanks - the team will reopen the ticket and respond to you there.

They have just responded:

Risk Management Team
11:00 AM (0 minutes ago)

to me

Hello Jose,

Thank you for contacting the Risk Management department.

We would like to inform you that for more information regarding the domain transfer dispute we recommend you to contact your previous domain Registrar (GoDaddy). Per our check, the previous domain Registrar should have informed you about the resolution of the case.

Should you have any other questions, please let us know.

•••
I responded to (I left the name of the person out of public view)

How is it possible:

1. My registrar gives Namecheap information on how my domain was transferred to them without authorization on the same day Namecheap received the domain.

2. My IPs are from Florida, USA, the domain was registered for 11 years with me and the one that transferred it out has IPs from the other side of the world.

3. I have tax returns, logo/trademark and an active business for 11 years with that domain.

•••
@Jose Nobio - on this stage, you might definitely want to contact a lawyer who is familiar with domain-related matters. Legal section of this forum will help... IMO, the 1st thing the lawyer would recommend will be to stop sharing the info on public forum.

Registrars have seen a lot of sophisticated domain thefts, so it is definitely impossible for them to "take sides" even if you provide more evidence on public forum or in ticket(s). So, going legal way is probably the only method to resolve this.

(I am not a lawyer. Just imho)

•••
•••
@Jose Nobio - on this stage, you might definitely want to contact a lawyer who is familiar with domain-related matters. Legal section of this forum will help... IMO, the 1st thing the lawyer would recommend will be to stop sharing the info on public forum.

Registrars have seen a lot of sophisticated domain thefts, so it is definitely impossible for them to "take sides" even if you provide more evidence on public forum or in ticket(s). So, going legal way is probably the only method to resolve this.

(I am not a lawyer. Just imho)

I'm starting to realize what you say is correct. It would be nice if one could have domains in cold storage (haha)

•••
It looks like GoDaddy is the main POC on the transaction as the previous registrar is the way to go.

I defer to the advice given above - that may be a good recourse here.

•••
It looks like GoDaddy is the main POC on the transaction as the previous registrar is the way to go.

I defer to the advice given above - that may be a good recourse here.

ok, thank you for your input.

•••
I've gotten quotes from attorneys of $7k to $15k to file a suit in attempt to get a court order in recovering the domain. Is there a less expensive option?

•••
@Jose Nobio Hope you sort this out without filing a suit, it is unacceptable and I feel for you. I would work this out in private with GoDaddy / Namecheap...your case is compelling, the fact you have tax returns with a trademark, over a decade in business...etc. I hope the right thing is done

•••
I'm an owner of an industry recognized webhosting provider "Jixhost.com" since 2008 for which my domain was hijacked on October of 2020 from Domains Priced Right (GoDaddy) to Namecheap under a different registrant located in the middle east which has made a copy of my website and essentially stole a business I've had for 12 years.

I had immediately opened an unauthorized domain transfer dispute with my registrar and after 3 months they reply that Namecheap responded that the transfer was "authorized"

I've also posted 3 videos on my YouTube channel "WebsitePlex" regarding what happened.

I'm hoping it would be of enough value to the community to learn from and to bring to light this unfortunate situation.

Report the domain as stolen to DNProtect (dnprotect dot com) and we will be happy to look into the case and help with recovery.

•••

usually names get stolen for name value.. this thief was clearly aftr yer biz as this is clearly not a liquid domain

so can u conclude he knew about yer biz and profitability? maybe inside job?

seems to me u may fall into diff crime category here..as not only yer dn is stolen but yer business and livelihood

Last edited:
•••
Yes there is one organization named as ica which boasts of helping domain name registrants.
Ask help from them. Do not pay them 50k if they ask you to. Tell them you are a domain registrant and fraud has happened with you.
There are many people here who just pops up from nowhere. Ask one of them to connect you with the right person in ica

•••
Back