Dynadot

Domain stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all,

I came across this blog post from a designer who had his domain name stolen. http://www.davidairey.co.uk/StaticPage.html

Kinda scary how his online identity was stolen by some criminal who wanted to sell the name back to him for $650. He is considering WIPO and/or UDRP and wanted advice so I went to the best place I thought of...here. What kind of advice could the experts here at Namepros give this guy whose domain has been hijacked by some scumbag?

I'll post a comment on his blog linking here. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh man, where do I start in all the mistakes that he made?

1. Informing everyone he'd be gone on holiday for a month
2. Using a gmail address for his domains
3. Regging a name through a webhost
4. Contacting the hijacker/new owner with an offer

•••
I know, terrible, but its still illegal.

I'd also like to know why he was punched in the face?

I quite agree with him about not paying a hacker.

1. File a 'fraud' complaint at a local police station.

2. File a case against the ISP and Godaddy in the US.
Both for info on the hacker and for domain recovery.

3. Go through UDRP to get his domain back??

•••
I say it again, Godaddy are a thieves paradise. last time I said that all the brown noses came out of the woodwork spouting off how easy it is to recover your name from Nodaddy.

Not!

•••
Man, thats scary.
Lesson: While using gmail, don't browse any other sites.

Last edited:
•••
Well did he get it back then?
The article does not say that. But the whois shows a davidairey.co.uk mail id.

•••
He should contact godaddy. And give proofs of transactionand stuff. i think he will get the domain name then.

•••
•••
"After reading my story, some of you contacted me, saying that you know the CEO of GoDaddy.com, Bob Parsons, and that you would get in touch with him, asking if he could help."

Looks like if you know someone that knows the CEO its YESdaddy

•••
•••
I had a domain stolen from me last year still working on getting it back.. The person who stole it from me just got sued for 10 million by a mega mega big company for trademark fraud...

What comes around goes around....

•••
He He. Nice one, Wicked Chess.

Can some enlighten me what's wrong with GMail?

•••
•••
stub said:
He He. Nice one, Wicked Chess.

Can some enlighten me what's wrong with GMail?

As I understand it, what happened is that he browsed a site that has a malicious script on it while he was logged into gmail. The script created a filter in his gmail that forwarded messages with the word 'password' to the hacker's address. I'm not sure if this vulnerability has been fixed in gmail, but the message is don't browse questionable sites while logged into gmail.

•••
It's been fixed. So what other reasons are there for not using GMail?

•••
Glad everything's back to normal with him. I did come across his post that day when he announced his stolen domain.

•••
Back