IT.COM

discuss The .blog Discussion and Sales Thread

Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I've been waiting for .blog to open for months. It's one of the few nTLDs that make sense to me.

How many have you preregistered? So far I have about a dozen on my list.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think the potential for success is so huge. Many blogs are low-quality, many are even running on subdomains like wordpress or blogger. Blogs generally are personal sites, not for profit business sites. So most bloggers are not going to pay a lot for a domain name. On the other hand many companies have a blog. Some will probably buy their corporate name in .blog as an addition to their current site. But then it is somewhat redundant. I don't like the idea of fragmenting your online presence - purpose-specific extensions such as .mobi or .tel failed for good reasons.

And of course the most desirable keywords will be out of reach for domainers and end users alike.

•••
Blog is yet another .crap in the .bag .

I agree with @Kate , blogs are mainly used for hobbies and personal stuff. Those who make 6-7 figures blogging would never need a .blog domain as their .coms are aged, branded and work just fine ... Also those who make 6-7 figures blogging are usually well versed internet marketeers who know the value of a domain name so you can't just sell them the "gTLDs are better because they're shorter with the dot between words" story as you would do to an accountant or a furniture maker. :)

All (big & small companies) have their own blogs on subdomains or /blog as Kate mentioned they might get the brand name and that's all...

•••
•••
I own DomainBlog.com, looking forward to acquire Domain.Blog :laugh:

•••
•••
I don't think this extension is like most of the nGTLDs. I'm not a huge believer in non .com but this has the chance of exploding. Much of the web is made up of blogs and some of them make a tremendous amount of money. I simply see development potential. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
•••
You're misunderstanding why he's dropping them. He doesn't actually pay renewals at face value. He likely only pays icann fees. He's rereleasing them into the wild to boost registration numbers. It doesn't mean anything other than the plans have changed.

•••
Why target a G that no real business would target? Only a hobbyist would want to be associated with a .blog so I don't see where the profit is.

•••
Fortunately, they are not domainers :)

•••
I don't think this extension is like most of the nGTLDs. I'm not a huge believer in non .com but this has the a chance of exploding. Much of the web is made up of blogs and some of them make a tremendous amount of money. I simply see development potential. Just my 2 cents.

I like the extension too Shane, but I am surprised at some of these prices. $100,000 a year is just a joke no other word for it IMO.

•••
<2 cents>
The amazing thing for this extension is they have Wordpress behind them.

The pricing shows the quandry for all gTLD solutions. They are all trying to figure it out. Do they go high, or flood the market? If they go high, they lose the mass market appeal and benefit of lots of sites been built. That turns into a vicious de-compounding cycle.

If they go low, they miss some revenue, and they might not get so much building as they thought. But, WP must have a great chance of trumping that.

What I can't figure out with this .blog - is why i don't like the sound of it (the dot and the blog together). It's just not working for me. Blog is one of the most amazing new words we have. It's one of my favorite words.

If I was setting up a blog and I run an infrequent one, I would definitely still want a .com.
</2 cents>

Last edited:
•••
The 18 I paid for were all reserved by the registry the past 2 days. The registry lost my respect.

•••
•••
•••
I see some great names priced for only $30 on Get.blog, names like Sex.blog and Tech.blog, but they are going to go to auction as I am sure many will preregister Tech.blog. I guess we will have to wait to see what slips through premium registrations and what doesn't go to auction. I am interested to see what's available in general availability.

I agree. The top names will hit auction as only a few will slip through the cracks. I'm quite sure the ones I picked will cost 4 to 5-figures. Unfortunately, that's the price of doing business.

General availability will still represent a tremendous opportunity. My one concern is that it'll take a few years to start generating sales. Too many opportunities for endusers to hand reg solid names.

•••
.blog certainly is promising and has potential considering blogs make up a huge part of the internet with WordPress cornering around 25% of it.

Good strategic thinking on the part of Automattic I think.

However, the renewal fee is batsh*t crazy.

•••
I see .blog could represent a good opportunity only for some super top premium name, but honestly imo not such a good investment in terms of re-sale value for startups/company/ and important end users.

Last edited:
•••
Facebook has taken a huge chunk out of the blog industry

•••
.chimp would be good

ooh ooh aah aah eee eee

•••
Dictionary words are set to premium per year. Some of them in six figures :(. All LLL are reserved?
Sorry but not interested.

•••
•••
Did you get the .blog you registered during landrush?

Pigeon shit left for domainers to register. :)
Why even bother supporting this extensions?

•••
I had preregistered travel.blog and business.blog. Both were taken away by the registry. Had higher hopes for this company.

•••
$19M investment and greed are perfect combination to bust this extension. So long...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back