IT.COM

information The 5,000 Most Frequently Used Domain Name Prefixes and Suffixes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Rich.

I found this list long ago on NamePros itself...

This is very useful info.

Thanks for sharing...

I think it's not new one or based on latest data...
Nevertheless it's useful for all.

Ravi

•••
Thanks Rich.

I found this list long ago on NamePros itself...

This is very useful info.

Thanks for sharing...

I think it's not new one or based on latest data...
Nevertheless it's useful for all.

Ravi
Yeah I noticed after posting it was an old list that looks to be previously updated from github/hackernews activity. "5,003 additions, 0 deletions not shown because the diff is too large. Please use a local Git client to view these changes"

Last edited:
•••
It looks like all domain extensions are within 5000 list.

•••
Just something to think about... in regards to the suffixes, you notice a lot of them are the same as the ngtlds on the market.

People are still registering .COMs with these suffixes, not the ngtlds.

•••
Very useful info., thanks @Rich for sharing.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
A few surprises in there. Thanks!

•••
legit.

Only change is make #3 –> #1 :)

Last edited:
•••
Just something to think about... in regards to the suffixes, you notice a lot of them are the same as the ngtlds on the market.

People are still registering .COMs with these suffixes, not the ngtlds.
It was research like this that drove which new extensions were sought by the registries. At his keynote ay NamesCon 2019 the Radix CEO outlined the two years of data crunching they did in going from a starting list of 1000 to the 8 they originally obtained (a few more now).

Re this list mean people still choosing com, while that is certainly true to a fair degree, this data does not say that. It seems this list was generated by LeanDomain in 2012, prior to the new gTLD release. The GitHub post is recent but not the list, I think. It would be interesting to repeat the research now.

Bob

•••
It was research like this that drove which new extensions were sought by the registries. At his keynote ay NamesCon 2019 the Radix CEO outlined the two years of data crunching they did in going from a starting list of 1000 to the 8 they originally obtained (a few more now).

Re this list mean people still choosing com, while that is certainly true to a fair degree, this data does not say that. It seems this list was generated by LeanDomain in 2012, prior to the new gTLD release. The GitHub post is recent but not the list, I think. It would be interesting to repeat the research now.

Bob

While I personally only invest in .COM, I now think very carefully about purchasing a domain with keywords that can be replaced by new extensions.

If/when consumers become aware of the new extensions I think they could be useful in their defined niches.

I use new extensions for my own websites, but I believe investing in them is a zero sum game. The registrars take the role of investors with premium pricing and the ability to change their pricing at any point.

Back on topic...

I think my point is to use this list carefully. Consider eliminating all the suffixes that have their own extension because the obvious and premium choice for the end-user is not always .COM.

•••
•••
More Lists Like These Please!

Fun Stuff Dude

Last edited:
•••
I get it they are the suffix prefix used, But which one are the most sold suffix prefix? any list out there?

•••
•••
Lots of good information available on these forums, including this list. It's a great place to start.

•••
Nice list, thanks for sharing up

•••
While I personally only invest in .COM, I now think very carefully about purchasing a domain with keywords that can be replaced by new extensions.
This is an interesting view that I don't recall seeing discussed previously on NamePros. I might just have missed it, of course. Would be interesting on what others do in this regard.

So you are investing in a two word .com.
  1. If the second word is also one of the extensions, do you tend to avoid that .com as James indicates.
  2. Or, are you more likely to take it, and perhaps even consider picking up the new match to go with your .com.
  3. Or does it not influence you at all - if the two word is good, no cares if one of the words is also a new extension.
Thanks,

Bob

•••
•••
Back