IT.COM

news That Frank Schilling Prediction about dot COM Was WRONG, Surprised?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Frank Schilling made a bad decision early (before the new gTLDs even launched) to abandon his core constituency and join other new gTLD hucksters--registry operators--as well as some current and former ICANN Directors, Officers and staff, and other fellow travellers, in utilizing a new gTLD marketing strategy of going negative against the legacy gTLDs, particularly the market dominant .COM.

It didn't work.

Read more: http://www.domainmondo.com/2015/12/that-frank-schilling-prediction-about.html

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are countless ways to market your presence online, direct navigation is just one. New gTLDs will supplement not replace dot coms. It is a great venture for Frank shilling to be in, when consolidation happens I'm sure He will be at the top. I find it more prudent to invest in the companies in the space such as right of the dot...etc rather than new gTLDs to resell.

•••
Oh good, .com vs everything else, we haven't had this discussion for at least nine hours.

•••
•••
Few ever doubted .com is the king, but the more people say it is, the less confidence there is I sense. If .whatever is zero thread to me, I will let it be and focus on where I should.

•••
Frank might be right. It's just matter of time. The new gtld is on "Laughing" phase right now.
You follow what wise man said,
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi.

•••
Frank might be right. It's just matter of time. The new gtld is on "Laughing" phase right now.
You follow what wise man said,

Clearly Gandhi was referring to new gTLD when he said that....
You can take any quote and apply it to a situation which is not relevant.

Brad

•••
I'm here not arguing what is wrong and what is right that based on uncertainty of the future, like stocks. Yes, it's relevant to major situation. I'm stock and forex trader for 15 years. Most people will ignore new company. But start buying when the stock already win. But it's too late for them. They already missed the boat.

•••
Clearly Gandhi was referring to new gTLD when he said that....
You can take any quote and apply it to a situation which is not relevant.

Brad
I believe gandhi was referring to .com's. They already ignored us, laughed at us, , fought us through udrp's and lawsuits, now we are on our way to winning.
As for new gtlds oh please they were on the side of fighting .com and we now see clearly it was a fight they should never have taken. Only now they say .com is king, after the market left them no choice.

•••
sorry, one question : who is the market ?

•••
sorry, one question : who is the market ?
Domains trade and sell in the OPEN MARKET in which anyone in the World can participate without restrictions. (Some cctld's and new gtlds not included).

•••
------------------IMHO, the past 20 will be nothing like the next 20. Has anyone wondered WHY Rick Schwartz and Mike Berkens are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?
they're getting old and have already accomplished just about all there is to do in the domain world.

no matter if new gtlds take off or not they aren't good investments for domainers. if your scenario proves true then those selling new gtlds will have to settle for les than great prices due to so much supply.

•••
Domains trade and sell in the OPEN MARKET in which anyone in the World can participate without restrictions. (Some cctld's and new gtlds not included).

ok, now do you have that superpower to come to each customer in that market and explain who is .king and why they need it ? the next question , whitout exiting the shop is: if they can afford it ? ( 1kw, 2 kw ) ? :))

•••
ok, now do you have that superpower to come to each customer in that market and explain who is .king and why they need it ? the next question , whitout exiting the shop is: if they can afford it ? ( 1kw, 2 kw ) ? :))
No need to explain, they already know:)

•••
they're getting old and have already accomplished just about all there is to do in the domain world.

no matter if new gtlds take off or not they aren't good investments for domainers. if your scenario proves true then those selling new gtlds will have to settle for les than great prices due to so much supply.
-------------------
Jasonn, I don't think there is a question that the new extensions will bring in far less than .com with very few exceptions. Remember once the original serious investors retire, WHOM is going to by a .com for $6/7figures...probably no one on this forum. No one agrees with me but .com loses a lot if there is no type in traffic. HOW is Google going to handle 'flowers.??? when it has hundreds of extensions? Voice search is around the corner. "Google I need to send flowers" Does Google care what extensions they give as a reply as long as they are paying them to be the chosen one. This sounds like the new 'adwords' to me.

•••
I think new gtld will do great, for ones that make sense. If I put myself in end-user shoes, matching gtld is way cooler than .com

•••
I will say that I believe .com will always be a widely used TLD. One word premium domains like shoes.com and brandable names 4L - 7L.com will always have value because the extension is just there because you need an extension, so obviously you stick with the ultimate generic extension.

NGTLDs will shine when the word in front of the dot properly combines with the word after the dot to form a key phrase or a pure brandable name. With NGTLDs the words should combine to create a greater meaning than the two words by themselves (The Gestalt Value). I strongly believe that there will be a day when good NGTLD names will be in high demand.

Last edited:
•••
I will say that I believe .com will always be a widely used TLD. One word premium domains like shoes.com and brandable names 4L - 7L.com will always have value because the extension is just there because you need an extension, so obviously you stick with the ultimate generic extension.

NGTLDs will shine when the word in front of the dot properly combines with the word after the dot to form a key phrase or a pure brandable name. With NGTLDs the words should combine to create a greater meaning than the two words by themselves (The Gestalt Value). I strongly believe that there will be a day when good NGTLD names will be in high demand.
--------------------------------------
span the dot http://spanthedot.com/span_the_dot_thinking.htm is way cool if done properly. I imagine the .com version probably sold for heavy 5 figures.

•••
if your scenario proves true then those selling new gtlds will have to settle for les than great prices due to so much supply.

When I sell a new gTLD and make a good ROI it doesn't bother me if it sells for less because of supply. Profit is profit and money in the bank...

•••
Most llll.com domain investors who have held these domain names for 9-10 years, are selling their .com domain names and investing in cheaper alternatives in other tlds to make a profit. If the domains which are not making any money monthly, are not sold gradually, it will be a loss for the domain investor

•••
Nice write up. I enjoyed it.

-Omar

•••
.com is king quite simply because it is familiar. Great for now, but familiarities almost always change over time. Frank Schillings only mistake was thinking that change would happen so damn quickly when traditionally change is slow but also steady. Familiarity on its own is usually not a great reason for long term investments. Not to say I don't also invest in .com, but I'm not banking on things staying the way they are now, that's how you get passed up and miss out on great opportunities.

Totally agree. Familiarity breeds popularity. I think you couldn't spell.one out any better!

•••
•••
They are countless ways to market your presence online, direct navigation is just one. New gTLDs will supplement not replace dot coms. It is a great venture for Frank shilling to be in, when consolidation happens I'm sure He will be at the top. I find it more prudent to invest in the companies in the space such as right of the dot...etc rather than new gTLDs to resell.
Oops my bad, meant Rightside not right of the dot.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back