Dynadot

news Tencent (Parent company of QQ) Registered Several Ten Thousands Of 5N & 6N Digits .CN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

theSun

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
This is fresh news.

Tencent (Parent company of QQ) Just Recently Registered Several Ten Thousands Of 5N & 6N Digits .CN

It is rumored that 5 to 6 digits QQ account numbers will be connected to this move.

Good news for numeric domains owners.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting news.

I just purchased my first numeric today. Big $5 investment!

•••
Update more news happening right now at this moment:

Chinese QQ users are now getting domain surveys from Tencent, asking about domain related questions.

•••
Specifically how might they intend to use the domains? Each user has their own domain? I don't get it.

•••
are chinese at all interested in .org domains ?
I have their 3 letter acronym for the same company name in .org but I never received any inquiry from them or any other chinese domainers on it.
I always get spammed for my LLLL.com's though. Hard time understanding the Chinese market trends

•••
are chinese at all interested in .org domains ?
I have their 3 letter acronym in .org but never received any inquiry from chinese domainers on it.
I always get spammed for my LLLL.com's though

Very possible, and might very be in the very close future they will express interest in 3/4 l/n .orgs

•••
Looked very like a bubble run in registration terms. It was similar to the 4L bubble a few years ago. From tracking domain name registration trends, some Chinese hosters have renewal rates of 20% or so which is below the typical 54% .COM renewal rate.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
It was a bit of a surprise, Acro,
Of the top five new .com registrations hosters in September, four out of the five were Chinese with only Godaddy (domaincontrol.com) being the top. Chinese growth in COM/NET in the last few years has been outpacing Germany and the UK. That's a similar pattern to the .CN Olympics promotion that saw .CN overtake .DE with subsidised/low cost registrations that promptly disappeared at renewal when the fees went back to normal levels.

The renewal rates vary on hosters with some of the small hosters (webdevelopers etc) having renewal rates around 70 to 80%. Normally when a hoster or registrar or registry runs a promotion, there is a spike and then a slump because those domains don't renew at the normal rates. However some hosters use discounting as a business tool and have a low renewal rate (20% to 30%). Large retail hosters can have renewal rates upwards of 65%. The .COM is pitched as a global TLD but it is composed of many smaller country level markets. These blood trail renewal patterns are bad news in any TLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Hey John :D Are there any hoster stats for 2015, I can't find them.

•••
Hey John :D Are there any hoster stats for 2015, I can't find them.
Going to add them when I get time (probably the next week). I've been working on TLD usage surveys and crunching the stats every month stats but did not get a chance to update the site with the stats tables.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Thanks! Definitely a very valuable history you've been keeping over the years.

•••
Thanks! Definitely a very valuable history you've been keeping over the years.
Thanks. Google didn't think so and that Panda and his braindead "algorithm" destroyed much of the site's domain history pages in Google. Seems that most large sites have been affected.

I wrote some new code to check domain names in all TLDs ( >740 gTLDs and over 200 ccTLDs). Also have a new hoster history page that I've been working on that should be more informative. Folding the new gTLDs into the tables took a bit of doing.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back