Domain Empire

question Tax ID GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Time2Shine

Impact
Greetings,

I found a domain that I would like to buy. It is a ".ca" domain. I do live in Canada.
GoDaddy gives the option for adding a "Tax ID." I don't know if it's mandatory or not, as I haven't attempted to skip past it.
This would be my very first domain. Do I need to get a Tax ID before I start, or is that something I can worry about later?
Which government department must I contact to get a Tax ID, should I need one?

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I will want to buy ".com" domains as well, if this makes any difference...

•••
Simply to register domains at Godaddy, you don't need one. Tax IDs are really for when you earn money, not spend it.

•••
Thanks for that.

Does a person need to set this up as a business before beginning to sell, or is it okay to get your feet wet first, and then set up a business later?

•••
Thanks for that.

Does a person need to set this up as a business before beginning to sell, or is it okay to get your feet wet first, and then set up a business later?

You don't need a business to buy and sell domains.

I doubt the majority of people who sell domains even have a business setup.

It can make sense for taxes and other reasons, but is not a requirement.

Brad

•••
I signed your petition, Brad.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I suppose if you want the benefits of running your own business; tax write-offs, etc., then it would be wise. Otherwise, people can probably do without, at least when just starting out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back