Dynadot

.tv TampaBay.TV

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all!

I am reaching out to see if anyone here has the backorder for TampaBay.TV ? Also to find out if my assumption that if it drops whoever has the backorder will still have to pay the premium renewal fee of $ 1,000/yr and that it will go to auction automatically?

Thanks so much!

Best,

Cate

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If Name.com catches it Cate, the backorder owner will pay a one time premium and then they own the domain. No auction.

•••
If Name.com catches it Cate, the backorder owner will pay a one time premium and then they own the domain. No auction.
Thanks Ray!

I thought for awhile now that even whoever caught the drop that they would have to continue to pay the premium renewal? Wasn't that why some folks stopped with the back orders?

•••
I've decided not to renew TampaBay.TV at this time - if somebody here does in fact have the back order at Name.com I hope you develop it - best of luck

•••
Cate

I feel for your predicament and am somewhat saddened that no one has come forward to let you know they have it - especially when there is a very high chance that they are a member here.

What is particularly annoying is that you are one of the most enthusiastic TV people here and would do anything for anybody.

We all know who the main backorder people are so it might be worthwhile if they could come forward and state publicly that they don't have it.

May I be the first name on the list….

I don't have it

If others have the fairmindedness to come forward then maybe, just maybe, we can get Cate to keep her local town name without having to pay the crazy premium each year.

Over to you….

•••
If others have the fairmindedness to come forward then maybe, just maybe, we can get Cate to keep her local town name without having to pay the crazy premium each year.

Over to you….

As far as I know,she'd be still stuck with the premium renewals no matter what,even if she managed to get the name on the drop.

•••
Despite a few random sales where one goes WT-, the sad fact is the only price it seems any .TV investor is willing to pay is a backorder. A real estate investor will buy and sell properties and reinvest with profits while a stock investor will buy and sell stocks and reinvest as opportunities become available. With .TV there is no domainer to domainer market which causes one to doubt the veracity of reported sales.

•••
Despite a few random sales where one goes WT-, the sad fact is the only price it seems any .TV investor is willing to pay is a backorder. A real estate investor will buy and sell properties and reinvest with profits while a stock investor will buy and sell stocks and reinvest as opportunities become available. With .TV there is no domainer to domainer market which causes one to doubt the veracity of reported sales.

Both real state and stock markets are regulated and that makes a big difference.You can trust what's happening on there to a certain degree.In this business,we don't have the means to know if a domain has really sold,specially when it goes under privacy.Many of you will say... "yeah,but there's DNJournal".Their procedure for verifying reported sales is a complete joke,people in the real estate business would laugh at it.People hide behind LLCs to trick everyone else in the industry.This is not new,it has happened since the very beginning.It's the money spent on development the best indicator of a legit sale,if you see someone spending real money on building up a project,then you can take that sale seriously.

•••

Do we know what the one time premium is? Tampa was $900 but Savannah was bought at $3600
I also thought that some of the .TV had non-standard renewals - Grace.TV and HowTo.TV were structured like that .. I haven't been looking at legacy drops for a long time so I don't know if the pattern has retreated back to the one time renewal.

Cate
I feel for your predicament and am somewhat saddened that no one has come forward to let you know they have it - especially when there is a very high chance that they are a member here.
My guess would be that it's one of two people - one wouldn't give it up out of principle and the other wouldn't give it up because I just don't think they care about their reputation :) The sad thing is that I think everyone has known since the very beginning that Cate owned it as a premium and has been waiting to take advantage of this day of reckoning ever since - it seems predatory to me but what's business amongst friends?

We all know who the main backorder people are so it might be worthwhile if they could come forward and state publicly that they don't have it.

May I be the first name on the list….

I don't have it

Over to you….

It's unfortunate but you don't get to own a name because you're enthusiastic. I'm certainly not one to talk but the name has been held for a long time and not developed - as a result of changes the non-enduser resale value was hit sharply and the drop / renewal window was missed so we end up with a name that without a plan is a financial drain. There's no point spending $1,000 without a plan to recoup it somehow - it's not worth it. My point is not to be negative but I think in the long run I think Cate will not regret the decision.. but I hope Verisign drops a $10K one time + $2K renewal on it.

But I don't have the backorder either.

If Cate ever wants to do something locally I have a similar workable/almost as good alternative name (imho) that would be a relative bargain depending on what she would want to accomplish and if she's like to share the spoils or something :)

Could try offering it away to people and annoying the person with the backorder :)

•••
Cate,
You definitely are the right person for that domain name! :) Wish I could help, but I do not have the backorder either. Wish you the best!

A

•••
My guess would be that it's one of two people - one wouldn't give it up out of principle and the other wouldn't give it up because I just don't think they care about their reputation :) The sad thing is that I think everyone has known since the very beginning that Cate owned it as a premium and has been waiting to take advantage of this day of reckoning ever since - it seems predatory to me but what's business amongst friends?

Although I would agree with your assumption on this as a general rule... I honestly don't think they are behind this backorder.Putting aside all their dirty tactics,they're noted for not throwing money down the toilet and honestly,I don't see either of them spending that much on a geo like that (even if it was a one time fee),this name doesn't justify spending $1,000 (from a speculative point of view).

•••
I don't see either of them spending that much on a geo like that (even if it was a one time fee),this name doesn't justify spending $1,000 (from a speculative point of view).
Tampa Bay is a pretty broad/large market and pivotal are in a pivotal state. It covers Tampa, St Petersburg and Clearwater and it gets a lot of foreign tourists. Its not New York, LA, or Philly…. but it isn't Podunk either. It's a better name than a lot of other "premium" names.

It's a shame that Cate never managed to accomplish what she wanted

I'm not sure why the local paper/paper wouldn't take it at $1,000 a year quite honestly. Even Bay News 9 considering the changes coming to the cable industry around the area.

•••
I tried quite a few times to develop/partner with others - I spent way too much money trying to get it going and two partnerships came to an end before they really got off the ground. A business plan/executive summary was written and investors sought. TampaBay.com has been around for years - I assure you I approached all the news channels - it's a huge MSA market - I have tried giving it to some local folks who have the ability/passion to develop but they also know the time commitment /expense to get it going and keep it going. I do own TampaBayTV.com so all is good for when I'm ready :)

Last edited:
•••
Tampa Bay is a pretty broad/large market and pivotal are in a pivotal state. It covers Tampa, St Petersburg and Clearwater and it gets a lot of foreign tourists. Its not New York, LA, or Philly…. but it isn't Podunk either. It's a better name than a lot of other "premium" names.

It's a shame that Cate never managed to accomplish what she wanted

I'm not sure why the local paper/paper wouldn't take it at $1,000 a year quite honestly. Even Bay News 9 considering the changes coming to the cable industry around the area.

I didn't mean to say it was bad but it's not the kind of geo I would spend $1,000 on.For an end user,it's definitely a no brainer.But from a domainer perspective,I don't see it.New gtlds have changed the whole business of domaining and one should proceed with caution before spending any money on anything other than .com.

Last edited:
•••
It amazes me that companies insist on branding on their reg fee domain rather than spending four to five figures on a good one when four to five figure costs are a normal part of their operations. But as an investor who rarely sees $XXXX sales, it doesn't make sense to be paying premium renewals or investing $XXXX in a domain name.

•••
I didn't mean to say it was bad but it's not the kind of geo I would spend $1,000 on.For an end user,it's definitely a no brainer.But from a domainer perspective,I don't see it.New gtlds have changed the whole business of domaining and one should proceed with caution before spending any money on anything other than .com.

I tend to agree with that last part, I absolutely believe new gtlds have affected the speculative side of .tv. Now you really need to be a pure play with TV/video or do one hell of a sales job in getting a mid four to five figure sale.

Verisign doesn't help with the renewal system either.

•••
what is the renewal fee on this one? Cate are you interested in selling it?

•••
what is the renewal fee on this one? Cate are you interested in selling it?

The yearly renewal fee was $ 1,000 - I didn't renew it

•••
With a ridiculous $1k/year renewal it was a very wise move to drop this one

•••
What is crazy is how many domainers criticized .TV for the premium renewals and now they are jumping in to new TLDs with no recognition but premium renewals...

•••
The mystery has been solved. The new owner of TampaBay.tv is Fin!

A

•••
Let's hope he acquired it to pass it back to cate.

•••
•••
Let's hope he acquired it to pass it back to cate.

with the thousands i've paid to you for some of your caught backorders you could have easily kicked her the $ to pay the premium fees, no?

•••
Let's not pretend this is one big community helping each other as it's not.
Domaining is a very independent business where your forum 'friends' are also your rivals when buying names or competing for drops.

Sure it's easy to say Fin shouldn't of picked up tampabay.tv or if he did then he should of gave it to Cate but this business just doesn't work like that.

Members here have picked up bo's of premium names owned by forum 'friends' consistently over last few yrs & rarely returned the domains to those who were paying the premium so decided to drop.

I've been in situation myself a few times when i had premiums i was dropping & i appealed on the forum for whoever had the BO to contact me to make a deal but of course nobody came forward.
And i understand why they didn't, bear no resentment.

Sure Fin can be frustrating but i wouldn't have too much criticism of him for keeping this BO & name unless you want to criticize everyone who used the BO system to grab premium domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back