IT.COM

Switch from .COM to .IN – Indian Government’s New Slogan

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's nice to see a nation promote it's ccTLD but to switch from .com ?

This is a recipe for disaster and could lead to much loss in the long run for budding start-ups.

In many situations this is a straight forward demotion of global enterprise within India !

•••
It's nice to see a nation promote it's ccTLD but to switch from .com ?

This is a recipe for disaster and could lead to much loss in the long run for budding start-ups.

In many situations this is a straight forward demotion of global enterprise within India !

How????? can you please eloborate a bit more... have you ever been to countries like china who is using .cn ? germany using .de? Uk using .co.uk? japan using .JP? i have seen many countries and their companies focusing on global and as well as taking care local needs.

.IN has presence in 238 countries in world wide as per who is , its not just CCTLD but has the appealing to brand as a short name to .INternet , .International , .Inc , .Insurance , .Investment , .Inc ..etc unlimited branding opportunities and also can geo target specific locations using seo techniques.. i cant see a reason why its wrong to ask .IN to be used as India's primary extension.

type bbc.com it will re-direct to bbc.co.uk .. government is asking for the same in India.. never saying dont use .com , .com will be there and will be used .. just re-direct to .IN

•••
I am an Indian myself and is happy to learn that the Indian Government is promoting .IN domains.
However, do not question my patriotism please, most steps the Indian Government takes (irrespective of the political party in power) is either keeping the election in mind or favouring a big business house or a big scam in folding.
I have found out something fishy about India Government Domains not following the rules laid down by the Government itself. Promoting something which you either don't have knowledge on or is not keen to follow the rules yourself is just something ridiculous.

I urge Indian domainers and bloggers particularly to have a look on the following reports and draw the attention of the Indian Government.

#IndiaGovDomains

unrelated to domain names... those are website design standards .. i believe we are talking about domain names here.. although one point your video is proven government is using .IN extension as a standard for government websites.

•••
How????? can you please eloborate a bit more... have you ever been to countries like china who is using .cn ? germany using .de? Uk using .co.uk? japan using .JP? i have seen many countries and their companies focusing on global and as well as taking care local needs.

.IN has presence in 238 countries in world wide as per who is , its not just CCTLD but has the appealing to brand as a short name to .INternet , .International , .Inc , .Insurance , .Investment , .Inc ..etc unlimited branding opportunities and also can geo target specific locations using seo techniques.. i cant see a reason why its wrong to ask .IN to be used as India's primary extension.

type bbc.com it will re-direct to bbc.co.uk .. government is asking for the same in India.. never saying dont use .com , .com will be there and will be used .. just re-direct to .IN

I'm convinced people will take the Indian governments message wrong and install to much confidence in a ccTLD in cases where a generic, global and commercial TLD like .com is the only viable solution.

I don't hear of the 're-directs' example you have mentioned in their message and most of the Indian public have not got the knowledge of such, let alone knowledge of domains.

While India is quite a large country and has lately promoted tech start-ups and inovation, the truth is India is merely catching up with the rest of the developed world.

Last edited:
•••
Indian Govt websites and .IN domain promotion has no links . You should inform the demerits to Govt. officials , so they can take proper action . Posting here will have no output and will make a negative impact . We want .IN domain growth and thanking NIXI initiative . Regarding Govt website whois issue and designing - security issue , Concern body are there . Pls remove the video links .
Apparently it seems that Indian Govt websites and .IN domain promotion has no links. But if you come to look at it from a different angle, NIXI is run on taxpayers money, and are the guardian of Indian Internet, not just a store just to sell domains. It is the duty of NIXI to see that India Government departments do not flout any rule too, which they simply overlook.
As for your suggestion to remove the video links, I disagree with you. The Government will take steps only when more of this comes in limelight.
As for your suggestion in informing the government, I have done it personally, without any effect. Believe if more people like you join, there will be some action.

unrelated to domain names... those are website design standards .. i believe we are talking about domain names here.. although one point your video is proven government is using .IN extension as a standard for government websites.
You caught the part right that Government is using .IN domains as a standard for government websites. This itself is wrong which NIXI cannot ignore. As there is a guideline for government domains NOT TO USE any other extension other than allotted for the government for security reasons, it is the duty of NIXI to see that the law is implemented, particularly for government websites too, instead of just rendering itself to a domain vending machine.

•••
However, do not question my patriotism please, most steps the Indian Government takes (irrespective of the political party in power) is either keeping the election in mind or favouring a big business house or a big scam in folding.

Promoting the national extension of a country does not seem related to any political event or opinion, nor favoring any business house since .in registry is a non-profit organisation, and the ads, very likely, will not promote a specific registrar.

•••
Promoting the national extension of a country does not seem related to any political event or opinion, nor favoring any business house since .in registry is a non-profit organisation, and the ads, very likely, will not promote a specific registrar.
Agreed.
My point is, NIXI should not be just a domain vending machine, but also look at the interest of the country. When NIXI overlooks Government departments flouting rules related to domain names (at least .IN in particular), it seems they are only interested in selling the domain only.

•••
While India is quite a large country and has lately promoted tech start-ups and inovation, the truth is India is merely catching up with the rest of the developed world.

This is why growth percentage is so high. From an investor point of view, this is exactly what we are looking for :)

•••
Agreed.
My point is, NIXI should not be just a domain vending machine, but also look at the interest of the country. When NIXI overlooks Government departments flouting rules related to domain names (at least .IN in particular), it seems they are only interested in selling the domain only.
Your point is valid , nixi shouldnt be just a vending machine... but do you ask nixi not to promote .IN names? is it wrong promoting .IN names? you are saying its not NIXI's job to promote .IN names? can you please share your view on just this promotion which NIXI started..

•••
Agreed.

This thread is meant for .IN promotion by NIXI who manages .IN registry . Nixi has no power to investigate which Govt body uses .org /.com . http://darpg.gov.in is the body who makes the guideline for website designing of govt websites and NIC is the body who designs 99% of Govt Websites . So pls make your concept Clear ..Don't blame NIXI . Inregistry has only one duty " to manage .in domains and to make its growth and popularize worldwide . So We should suggest our plans how to make the growth of our national domain .IN .

•••
I'm convinced people will take the Indian governments message wrong and install to much confidence in a ccTLD in cases where a generic, global and commercial TLD like .com is the only viable solution.

I don't hear of the 're-directs' example you have mentioned in their message and most of the Indian public have not got the knowledge of such, let alone knowledge of domains.

i cant see anything wrong for general public giving importance for .IN in India ... coming to your apprehension about global enterprises.. if a global enterprise or the one to be aspiring to be a global enterprise doesnt know the strategy to chose a domain name for their global business , they are not deserved to be a global business .. hope you agree with that.. common public doesnt have enough domain names knowledge.. but global enterprises or major local orgnisations has the staff who will look after such things.. India will be the home of global enterprises too. as of today very little presence of global enteprises in India.. but many will come in coming years.. i am sure those global enterprises will use .com and as well as .IN . I am not saying .com has no value.. many big indian companies still use .com and will use in future too.. but its the time for them to focus on getting their .IN version too

Last edited:
•••
Happy to see that the Indian Government is promoting .IN domains

Great job by Mr Rajiv Bansal.... :)

•••
The reality is many mid to large companies around the world are planning on investing in India. I would too if I were them. Those who are not, will be left behind and those CEO's will possibly lose their jobs for not investing in one of the largest markets. Selling India's growth story is getting a lot easier. Ignorance of the Indian market might have been OK about 15 yrs ago, but not anymore.

As far as .in domains, I would expect it follow a similar path as .co.uk, .ca and .com.au (since they are all english speaking countries). Valuations however could be a lot higher considering India would be the 3rd largest economy in about 10 yrs.

A friend recently visiting India sent back photos of roadside .in banners from Mumbai (guess what language they are in), he also indicated that the number of .in banners are too many on Mumbai Pune highway. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone here and in many ways we are just beginning.

•••
And..we compare domain names to real estate, here is a comparison for you. Real estate prices in India have risen so much in the last decade, its easier/cheaper to buy a home in many US metros than in the large Indian metros. The same principles apply, very little available space and far too many buyers. The only reason .in domains are still reasonable in the aftermarket is that people haven't caught on yet.

•••
This is good news, albeit a bit late, but an encouraging action from the registry. Get ready for explosion of registrations !!!!

And..we compare domain names to real estate, here is a comparison for you. Real estate prices in India have risen so much in the last decade, its easier/cheaper to buy a home in many US metros than in the large Indian metros. The same principles apply, very little available space and far too many buyers. The only reason .in domains are still reasonable in the aftermarket is that people haven't caught on yet.

Very sharp observation.

•••
•••
•••
Very Good news. Still .in has to cover a lot of path in the right direction.

•••
Someone forgot their meds today

•••
Modi asked Indians to Pick broom and clean the India, and whole country started cleaning India under Swach Bharat Abhiyan. Its not a Big deal that .IN will Boom after Indian Goverment's new slogan for .IN Domains, Modi doing great things for uplifting India and we will be part of it.

•••
•••
Modi asked Indians to Pick broom and clean the India, and whole country started cleaning India under Swach Bharat Abhiyan. Its not a Big deal that .IN will Boom after Indian Goverment's new slogan for .IN Domains, Modi doing great things for uplifting India and we will be part of it.
Absolutely, i do believe in the same.. If government asks to change, small / medium enterprises and also general public will go through the same change.. .IN has bright future.. I have analysed the last one month registration number growth of .IN . I can see there is a surge of net increase of .IN registration numbers. Further details can be found @ http://our.in/monthly-stats-july-2016-report-in-domain-names-registration-numbers/

•••
one more good news to share, GST Is real... .IN is unstoppable.. If you ignore .IN , its a biggest mistake , what happened in the past is past.. but now India has a great political system.. where the ruling and opposition party both has worked towards national interest.. this is really what was lacking earlier.. so reforms will move faster , investors should cheer for these reforms and gdp grow much faster.. irrespective of who ever is in ruling India , people want reforms and good life.. live and let live is what Indian people believe in.. i cant see a reason why .IN cant hit 10 million names by 2020

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/yes-...developments-1439813?pfrom=home-lateststories

Last edited:
•••
I am not a profi, but thinking it I have came to this conclusion. Correct me if I am not right.
No one will drop his .com
All established websites .com just will reg also .in as alternative
But all new startups will reg just .in instead buying (not handreg) a good .com or not quality .com domains
This will affect on the .com market in India. If now some decent per cent of buyers on .com auction is indian, then in future they will preffer cheap good or premium .in instead of expensive .com
If now India is a big market for .com soon this market will go smaller.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone have any idea what the best letters or numbers are for India-re China 8 is great 4 is not Q is good V is not etc. We just picked up 123a.in Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back