Dynadot

Switch from .COM to .IN – Indian Government’s New Slogan

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great move by NIXI to be proactive and sell .in to the marketplace. It shows the Registry is behind in full support. The potential for .in growth from 2 million to 3 million (Nixi's target for next march) is quite achievable. With 7-8% GDP growth, we can project .in domain valuations to go along with that. India is a large country with millions of entrepreneurs and its only a matter of time in getting the ship turned in the right direction with the incentives and a vision for the future.

•••
.IN is on the move.The way 4g is shaping up in India its a matter of time before we see the explosion.
way to go .In

•••
It's nice to see a nation promote it's ccTLD but to switch from .com ?

This is a recipe for disaster and could lead to much loss in the long run for budding start-ups.

In many situations this is a straight forward demotion of global enterprise within India !

How????? can you please eloborate a bit more... have you ever been to countries like china who is using .cn ? germany using .de? Uk using .co.uk? japan using .JP? i have seen many countries and their companies focusing on global and as well as taking care local needs.

.IN has presence in 238 countries in world wide as per who is , its not just CCTLD but has the appealing to brand as a short name to .INternet , .International , .Inc , .Insurance , .Investment , .Inc ..etc unlimited branding opportunities and also can geo target specific locations using seo techniques.. i cant see a reason why its wrong to ask .IN to be used as India's primary extension.

type bbc.com it will re-direct to bbc.co.uk .. government is asking for the same in India.. never saying dont use .com , .com will be there and will be used .. just re-direct to .IN

•••
People would terribly miss the .in Bandwagon and will cry years later, much like how they complain that they missed the .com era. It's the .in era that is about to rise.

•••
I will be offering desk pillows to those who still don't believe India is going to be next China in domaining. ;)

•••
I am an Indian myself and is happy to learn that the Indian Government is promoting .IN domains.
However, do not question my patriotism please, most steps the Indian Government takes (irrespective of the political party in power) is either keeping the election in mind or favouring a big business house or a big scam in folding.
I have found out something fishy about India Government Domains not following the rules laid down by the Government itself. Promoting something which you either don't have knowledge on or is not keen to follow the rules yourself is just something ridiculous.

I urge Indian domainers and bloggers particularly to have a look on the following reports and draw the attention of the Indian Government.

#IndiaGovDomains
Indian Govt websites and .IN domain promotion has no links . You should inform the demerits to Govt. officials , so they can take proper action . Posting here will have no output and will make a negative impact . We want .IN domain growth and thanking NIXI initiative . Regarding Govt website whois issue and designing - security issue , Concern body are there . Pls remove the video links .

•••
The reality is many mid to large companies around the world are planning on investing in India. I would too if I were them. Those who are not, will be left behind and those CEO's will possibly lose their jobs for not investing in one of the largest markets. Selling India's growth story is getting a lot easier. Ignorance of the Indian market might have been OK about 15 yrs ago, but not anymore.

As far as .in domains, I would expect it follow a similar path as .co.uk, .ca and .com.au (since they are all english speaking countries). Valuations however could be a lot higher considering India would be the 3rd largest economy in about 10 yrs.

A friend recently visiting India sent back photos of roadside .in banners from Mumbai (guess what language they are in), he also indicated that the number of .in banners are too many on Mumbai Pune highway. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone here and in many ways we are just beginning.

•••
Now Getting Support from Government will be advantage for .In Domain Investors.. We will see huge demand for .IN domains in coming months.

Good News is that NIXI Ceo, Rajiv Bansal said that they are planning to add another 1 Million Domains by March 2017 and for the same there proposal includes offering some kind of a discount - perhaps a new domain registration for Rs 150 or Rs 200 ie $2-3 to attract new businesses.

•••
Great news, thanks for sharing.

There was already a lot of positive movement in the .in space since the start of the year... Growth was good and we saw quite a few decent $xx,xxx sales (lots also went unreported) and with news such as this we should expect that growth / value trajectory rising more steeply.

I've also witnessed more and more businesses (of all sizes) using .in domains in mainstream advertising. Big giants such as Amazon also running their sites on .in names. This is just the beginning. We've just passed that tipping point. Over the next year or two I'd expect we'll see the serious explosion.

•••
It's nice to see a nation promote it's ccTLD but to switch from .com ?

This is a recipe for disaster and could lead to much loss in the long run for budding start-ups.

In many situations this is a straight forward demotion of global enterprise within India !

•••
Happy to see that the Indian Government is promoting .IN domains

Great job by Mr Rajiv Bansal.... :)

•••
•••
Very Good news. Still .in has to cover a lot of path in the right direction.

•••
Anyone have any idea what the best letters or numbers are for India-re China 8 is great 4 is not Q is good V is not etc. We just picked up 123a.in Thank you!
In my opinion dictionary words, common hindi words, and of course LLL & NNN would work great.
As for best letters and numbers, the universal rules apply. 123a is not a great choice for still so many options available in .IN

•••
It's high time for the Indian Government to massively promote .IN and India related domains within India and abroad, it is certainly a very important step in the right direction. Hope they continue to push further to promote the small Indian business in India and abroad by encouraging them to adopt these domains. Given the huge size of the Indian middle-class market and the buying potential, the Indian eCommerce can further propel it to be a truly global economic leader.

•••
Finally, they understood that .in has a huge potential. It took time!
Happy to read such great news: an organic growth supported by a government )

•••
I am a massive believer of .COM and more inclined to .COM and I am from South India. Now I can see lot of .IN websites getting advertised on bill boards and slowly i am end up accepting .IN is the way forward for India. I was selling .IN names cheap a year before, kind of regretting at the same time glad i have still fewer names left out with me. now its the time to re-focus my strategy and acquire some nice .IN names.

•••
Now Getting Support from Government will be advantage for .In Domain Investors.. We will see huge demand for .IN domains in coming months.

Good News is that NIXI Ceo, Rajiv Bansal said that they are planning to add another 1 Million Domains by March 2017 and for the same there proposal includes offering some kind of a discount - perhaps a new domain registration for Rs 150 or Rs 200 ie $2-3 to attract new businesses.

as of today number of registrations are 21,36,979 ... just 8 months another circa 863K names registrations is not a small number... it took almost 5 to 6years to get the first 863k registrations... now in 8 months..???
I guess government will also offer some perks for using .IN extension .. startups are getting emails to use .IN and also targeting students to use .IN names too.

•••
That's good news for .IN community.

•••
.IN is on the move.The way 4g is shaping up in India its a matter of time before we see the explosion.
way to go .In
4G is too good , i have tested the same in remote villages of South India during my december 2015 trip.. good to see the 4g connections are working and also the speeds are at managable level.. offcourse its 2015 december, i am visiting next week again ... hope this time i can use newly launched reliance 4g technology.. i heard from friends its much faster and clearly a game changer..

Last edited:
•••
What is the drop time of .in?

I asked reigstry.in. Their answer was "We dont have such a time". Unbelievable.

It starts at 20:00 UTC and stretches to 20:02 or 20:03 depending on the number of dropped domains.

Last edited:
•••
However, do not question my patriotism please, most steps the Indian Government takes (irrespective of the political party in power) is either keeping the election in mind or favouring a big business house or a big scam in folding.

Promoting the national extension of a country does not seem related to any political event or opinion, nor favoring any business house since .in registry is a non-profit organisation, and the ads, very likely, will not promote a specific registrar.

•••
Agreed.
My point is, NIXI should not be just a domain vending machine, but also look at the interest of the country. When NIXI overlooks Government departments flouting rules related to domain names (at least .IN in particular), it seems they are only interested in selling the domain only.

This thread is meant for .IN promotion by NIXI who manages .IN registry . Nixi has no power to investigate which Govt body uses .org /.com . http://darpg.gov.in is the body who makes the guideline for website designing of govt websites and NIC is the body who designs 99% of Govt Websites . So pls make your concept Clear ..Don't blame NIXI . Inregistry has only one duty " to manage .in domains and to make its growth and popularize worldwide . So We should suggest our plans how to make the growth of our national domain .IN .

•••
And..we compare domain names to real estate, here is a comparison for you. Real estate prices in India have risen so much in the last decade, its easier/cheaper to buy a home in many US metros than in the large Indian metros. The same principles apply, very little available space and far too many buyers. The only reason .in domains are still reasonable in the aftermarket is that people haven't caught on yet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back