IT.COM

Looking to switch registrar from Namecheap and Namesilo to a new one

NameSilo
Watch

PayPKR

Established Member
Impact
I currently have 130 domains, 70 with namecheap and 60 with namesilo, almost all of them .com domains. However, I have been thinking lately to switch from both of them due to their high prices to a low cost registrar. NameCheap is charging $13.66 and NameSilo is charging $13.95

Which registrar would you suggest that I go with? From my observation, below are their renewal prices for .com domains - from lowest to highest:

- Cosmotown @ 9.49 ($1234/yr)
- Spaceship @ 9.55 ($1242/yr)
- Sav @ 9.76 ($1269/yr)
- Dyna @ 10.19 ($1324/yr)
- PorkBun @ 10.37 ($1348/yr)

Currently paying $1793 (combined on both NC and NS).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is not a direct answer, but is availability of the Afternic and Sedo registrar networks important to you? Currently, your names at Namecheap have Afternic access and your names at NameSilo are eligible for both networks.

Of the registrars you are considering, Sav and Dynadot are eligible for both networks, while Porkbun support Afternic. Right now at least, Spaceship support neither. I don't use Cosmotown so not sure the situation.

Also, is it important to at least have the option of having a lander and listing at a registrar marketplace for occasional sales that way? For example for buyers who want the name instantly and automatically, or for sales during 60 day lock. It may not be, but if it is important NameCheap, NameSilo, Dynadot, Sav and Porkbun offer that.

When you transfer, while certain TLDs (like .org, .xyz) have a transfer lock imposed by registry/backend that as far as I know can't be removed, for .com and .net on transfer some registrars will waive the lock, and others will not. Again, in long run may not be important, but a consideration.

Just to make sure your price comparisons are what you would pay, Dynadot have bulk and super bulk. I think right now they have a promotion so everyone gets that pricing, though. To get in bulk you just need place $500 on account balance. Need $5000 on balance or annual spend to get to super bulk.

Coupons can change pricing, and both Namecheap and Dynadot use coupons regularly. Usually on registrations, but sometimes on transfers or even a monthly slight reduction on renewals.

Also, at NameSilo there is different pricing, now significant for some TLDs, if you have activated their discount club that require you to put account balance in $50+ amounts. So if going by TLD-list, which will show pricing without that on, can seem higher than it really is.

You don't have a huge number of domains to manage, but the interfaces are better at some registrars than others, and with bulk tools. For example, if you do decide to go to Dynadot you can set it up so that your TXT verification codes are automatically added to all transfer and new registration names, if you wish, and can set up the nameservers for your common places to sell (NameSilo also have this feature, and a number of other registrars).

If you do move your names, remember that you need to update the registrar information at Sedo, and that Afternic FT will notice the move and in general you will need to relist and reapprove Afternic FT names at your new registrar. Dynadot have the easiest way to check, activate and remove from the FT networks, in my opinion.

I use all of Dynadot, Porkbun, NameSilo, Spaceship, and Namecheap from your list (+8 other registrars O_o) and plan to continue to use them, so I am positive on them. Just listing here some of the considerations that may, or may not, be important to you. Congrats on working out the total price difference in options, the right way to look at a potential move, but also need consider factors such as above.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
This is not a direct answer, but is availability of the Afternic and Sedo registrar networks important to you? Currently, your names at Namecheap have Afternic access and your names at NameSilo are eligible for both networks.

Of the registrars you are considering, Sav and Dynadot are eligible for both networks, while Porkbun support Afternic. Right now at least, Spaceship support neither. I don't use Cosmotown so not sure the situation.

Also, is it important to at least have the option of having a lander and listing at a registrar marketplace for occasional sales that way? For example for buyers who want the name instantly and automatically, or for sales during 60 day lock. It may not be, but if it is important NameCheap, NameSilo, Dynadot, Sav and Porkbun offer that.

When you transfer, while certain TLDs (like .org, .xyz) have a transfer lock imposed by registry/backend that as far as I know can't be removed, for .com and .net on transfer some registrars will waive the lock, and others will not. Again, in long run may not be important, but a consideration.

Just to make sure your price comparisons are what you would pay, Dynadot have bulk and super bulk. I think right now they have a promotion so everyone gets that pricing, though. To get in bulk you just need place $500 on account balance. Need $5000 on balance or annual spend to get to super bulk.

Coupons can change pricing, and both Namecheap and Dynadot use coupons regularly. Usually on registrations, but sometimes on transfers or even a monthly slight reduction on renewals.

Also, at NameSilo there is different pricing, now significant for some TLDs, if you have activated their discount club that require you to put account balance in $50+ amounts. So if going by TLD-list, which will show pricing without that on, can seem higher than it really is.

You don't have a huge number of domains to manage, but the interfaces are better at some registrars than others, and with bulk tools. For example, if you do decide to go to Dynadot you can set it up so that your TXT verification codes are automatically added to all transfer and new registration names, if you wish, and can set up the nameservers for your common places to sell (NameSilo also have this feature, and a number of other registrars).

If you do move your names, remember that you need to update the registrar information at Sedo, and that Afternic FT will notice the move and in general you will need to relist and reapprove Afternic FT names at your new registrar. Dynadot have the easiest way to check, activate and remove from the FT networks, in my opinion.

I use all of Dynadot, Porkbun, NameSilo, and Namecheap from your list (+9 other registrars O_o) and plan to continue to use them, so I am positive on them. Just listing here some of the considerations that may, or may not, be important to you. Congrats on working out the total price difference in options, the right way to look at a potential move, but also need consider factors such as above.

Bob

Thank you Bob for taking out the time to reply in details.

I am using these domains for my businesses in one way or another and all of these domains have an active website or are being used as forwarders to other domains. So far, I do not intend to sell them unless I receive a really attractive offer that makes me change my mind. So at this point, I don't think availability of Afternic and Sedo registrar networks is not really a big concern for me. I have all these domains listed for sale but I have not closed any sale so far and none of the domains use the lander page offered by the registrars.

I am looking to cut down on the renewal costs so that I can invest more in to marketing and generating sales.

Spaceship is from Namecheap but i am not able to understand why they would offer cheaper prices on spaceship but not offer the same prices on Namecheap.

•••
Thanks for adding additional perspective @PayPKR , so the FT and registrar marketplace not important for your situation.

Re
Spaceship is from Namecheap but i am not able to understand why they would offer cheaper prices on spaceship but not offer the same prices on Namecheap.
It is a good question. Yes Spaceship started by Namecheap, but they decided to rather than evolve start a new product from ground up. Not sure all of the corporate reasons, but it is so far Spaceship interface is sleek and fast, but different. They registered a different ICANN registrar and as far as I can tell plan to go it separately. I suspect their priority is users like you, and that they offer registrations at a slight loss in many cases, hoping that other services will make up for that, or if not the money made on expiry. Currently they have about 300,000 domains at Spaceship, compared to many millions at Namecheap.

In order to effectively enter competitive registrar marketplace they probably figure they need to offer lower prices at Spaceship, while many Namecheap customers have been around for many, many years.

I have transferred a few names into Spaceship and everything was smooth and fast. It was easy to set DNS records and Nameservers. It took me a little while to get comfortable with their unboxing metaphor and all their various tools for doing things, but once so it feels nice.

I am not sure if currency options matter to you, and actually not very sure if there are significant differences that way. I don't use crypto or credit cards, and just use PayPal and account balance. You can maintain an account balance at Namecheap, Dynadot, and NameSilo. You can't yet at Sav and I don't think at Spaceship but not sure.

There is at Dynadot a bonus (valid until end January) if you add accounts via cheque they give 3% bonus credit (normally they just have 2% for vary large amounts). I don't have US based bank account, so presume it did not apply to me, so didn't look into it, but 3% is significant. With your numbers it would still be cheaper at a few of the other registrars, but difference would shrink, but just for the deposit amount situation this once.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do. Hopefully others will provide responses. Transfers between Namecheap, NameSilo and the registrars you are considering should be fast and easy for legacy extensions, as both allow you to expedite transfer approval. People have asked, but despite owned by same company, you can't directly push Namecheap to Spaceship.

Bob

•••
•••
Cloudflare, but support few domain zones

•••
•••
Dyna or spaceship. Both are cheaper and just as reliable.

Its just a small saving tbh. If you develop and are not dependent on sales, $500/year difference on 130 domains is nothing.

•••
@Bob Hawkes
What is the discounted price for dynadot bulk and superbulk discounts if we prepay $500 and %5000 respectively. Are theses applies on registration/renewal and transfer?
Thanks.

Note: Just Confirmed from Dynadot Agent on Chat. Currently promotion is active and it will end by the end of this month. $10.19 is price of registration/renewal and transfer for .com

Last edited:
•••
I took all my names out of namesilo and will move if I renew any from Namecheap to @InternetBS
I could t afford to just transfer them all over, so have been doing it as renewals came up or when I bought new ones.

Internetbs is VERY slow to transfer domains. Accessing the Auth code is the easiest and quickest of the 3 (it shows on the screen!). The DNS is a bit clunky in comparison to nameCheap and namesilo if you use theirs.

The dashboard / interface is better than Namecheap (who clutters the place up trying to show me domains I don’t want to buy) and better than namesilo (I swear they have at least 3 different builds of that site and they just keep piling new bits on).

Internetbs also had the best api for WHCMS, which is why I originally used them (but never actually used it). I have stayed because they are cheap and the site is easy to use.

•••
Cloudflare is NOT for domainers. There are no bulk edit tools and does not and will not support fast transfers on Afternic and SEDO.

Dynadot and Namesilo are my favorite.

Source: Cloudflare As a Domain registrar

•••
I currently have 130 domains, 70 with namecheap and 60 with namesilo, almost all of them .com domains. However, I have been thinking lately to switch from both of them due to their high prices to a low cost registrar. NameCheap is charging $13.66 and NameSilo is charging $13.95

Which registrar would you suggest that I go with? From my observation, below are their renewal prices for .com domains - from lowest to highest:

- Cosmotown @ 9.49 ($1234/yr)
- Spaceship @ 9.55 ($1242/yr)
- Sav @ 9.76 ($1269/yr)
- Dyna @ 10.19 ($1324/yr)
- PorkBun @ 10.37 ($1348/yr)

Currently paying $1793 (combined on both NC and NS).
I can only say great things about Spaceship. It looks confusing at first glance, but once you get situated, it is actually incredibly powerful. My favourite features; bulk actions, transfer manager, custom default DNS presets, just to name a few.

•••
I currently have 130 domains,
I've got names at the two you mention as well as 3-4 others.

Right now I favor Dynadot. Their 10.19 pricing promotion ends today/tonight.

•••
•••
You should go with Dynadot for better services and features in my opinion.

•••
•••
I'm also going to say dynadot, supports been great, prices are great, security is beyond what I have seen at others!

Last edited:
•••
Besides Godaddy, i'd recommend Dynadot.. Never had issues with NameBright either(never held a whole portfolio there though)

•••
•••
I've been using Name Silo for several years, and I'm comfortable with their system. I've got a much reduced portfolio, but I still only have to pay $10.40.

•••
*edit already commented lol oops

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot if you want Afternic & Sedo Networks and all the + features for management
But if you want to save on Money Spaceship will do the Job with good enough Interface and tools (Its Choclate vs Vanilla )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back