NameSilo

Suing GoDaddy...

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

larryscott2559

Restricted (Market)
Impact
169
I wanted some perspective and information on how long it took you to receive payment after successfully selling a domain name on Godaddy. I want to make sure Im not acting erratic after multiple emails and 26 days I have not received payment and response to my emails are a hit and miss. I am currently in the process of gathering information to give to a lawyer.

The domain sold price is a nothing burger $500 but Godaddy seems way too comfortable not sending payment and not responding to emails. I also decided to transfer all of my domains from Godaddy to another registrar that I have very few issues with.

Kinda off topic but I went to inquire about a domain name on Afternic and I saw the broker was from "Godaddy Division". It was only later I found out that Godaddy has aquired Afternic so I refuse to buy domains from Afternic now. That $500 is going to end up costing them more than they think.
 
4
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I may not be able to sue them in court I realize because a lot of companies are now placing arbitration clauses in their terms of service...but in the long run its still going to cost them.
 
1
•••
I think you are over reacting a bit. It's only been 26 days! Not ideal, but not suit worthy in my opinion, especially over $500. It sounds like there was a delay in receiving payment from the purchaser or clearing payment from the purchaser. Sometimes transactions fail because the buyer simply doesn't pay.
Maybe @Joe Styler can help?
 
6
•••
The lawyer and legal action would cost far more than $500. You could simply message @Joe Styler here.
 
5
•••
if its been that long i assuming the buyer of the name has not paid or GD has not been able to complete their due diligence regarding the buyer.

had the same issue last year, funny enough it was for the exact same amount too...

i called to follow up and they gave me the situation right away, best to call
 
2
•••
I think you are over reacting a bit. It's only been 26 days! Not ideal, but not suit worthy in my opinion, especially over $500. It sounds like there was a delay in receiving payment from the purchaser or clearing payment from the purchaser. Sometimes transactions fail because the buyer simply doesn't pay.
Maybe @Joe Styler can help?

The payment was sent to Godaddy before I ever transfered my domain name (I was contacted by them through their brokerage service). So the money was available before I ever transferred my domain. I've never dealt with a brokerage service so maybe I am being temperamental but a month is quite long.
 
3
•••
seems long, have you tried calling?
 
2
•••
4
•••
It is not worth litigation. More like Small Claims if anything. I picture you and the GoDaddy logo head in a courtroom. Made me chuckle.

gd-court.png


Anyway, they do pay. Other platforms can take longer. I wouldn't let it get to you. GoDaddy is a busy platform that many domainers use successfully.

As @equity78 said, try to work with them cause legal action would cost much, much more.
 
7
•••
if its been that long i assuming the buyer of the name has not paid or GD has not been able to complete their due diligence regarding the buyer.

had the same issue last year, funny enough it was for the exact same amount too...

i called to follow up and they gave me the situation right away, best to call

I think I'll do that.
 
1
•••
They cannot afford not to pay.... if word got out of non payment it would be very bad press.

Patience is the key..... had you said 3 months I would say yes proceed but there are a lot of factors when selling a domain and one of them depends on how fast the purchaser paid. There could be a number of delays so I would just sit back and wait for a while.
 
2
•••
I assume he means to sue for more than the $500. For, loss of income or something and neglect. However, godaddy/afternic are the best companies on the planet so I would advise against suing them. Also, you should probably expect any emails to godaddy auctions to take 3-5 days for a reply. Joe Style is the greatest can't say enough good things about him, he is amazing! Anyways, props to godaddy/afternic for being the greatest companies ever known to man.
 
1
•••
I would wait a bit longer, I completely agree with you on GoDaddys terrible service and attitude, and would love to see them in hot water as much as the next guy, but I would definitely review the auctions TOS before going any further
 
2
•••
Similar thing happened to me. I didn't receive payment of $750 for 3 months. I emailed to [email protected] and got a reply within 3 days. There was a problem in my payment methods, which I updated and then I received my payment.

Keep calm and try to work out the issue with the auctions team. They are quite helpful and I believe they are not after your $500. Do not mention the word 'sue' to them unnecessarily, when you know you can't do much for that amount.
 
2
•••
if your pay methods are set ok.. paypal preferably.. then payments are easy and always on time. though they now set it to 21days from buyer payment date (for regular bin or makeoffer auction sales.. I think its faster for premium listings)... thats a long time to wait and yes it sucks, and before it used to be faster and we could request payout once we showed whois updated and emailed auctions.... but they need their 5 days to clear payment, then enough time to transfer domain etc... and apparently their reps no longer want to be bothered with manual payout requests and releases. I never thought this was such a long and complex task.. I thought you just hit the payout button or two... but .... what do I know.......

there is no point in suing them. nor really in moving your domains from gd if most of your sales (as they do for most people) occur on gd auctions. you are hurting no one but yourself in this way. as one person's biz to a billions dollar company is like putting a drop of water into ocean.

Joe styler should be able to help you here.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I don't see the reason for all the drama. What wait nothing unusual so far.
 
0
•••
I assume he means to sue for more than the $500. For, loss of income or something and neglect. However, godaddy/afternic are the best companies on the planet so I would advise against suing them. Also, you should probably expect any emails to godaddy auctions to take 3-5 days for a reply. Joe Style is the greatest can't say enough good things about him, he is amazing! Anyways, props to godaddy/afternic for being the greatest companies ever known to man.
Probably godaddy is the only company you have ever dealed with until now. Do you know any other company who will pay you after 20-30 days, do you know how undeveloped, namesilo, epik, sedo or even afternic are paying? Do you know that 75% of the companies in this business, they reply instant and for the others it takes no more than 24 hours, except godaddy and afternic, who reply in 3-5 days and sometime even 20 days? Probably you are working for them or you just took something to be so euphoric, otherwise I could not understand.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
It might be good to pin down when you began counting those 26 days: Was it starting the day after you emailed the epp code to Godaddy?

Each part of the process seems to take an unconscionably long time.
 
1
•••
I wouldn't even start worrying about it until 31 days. And then for 500 bucks I'd probably just chase them a bit.
 
1
•••
I wanted some perspective and information on how long it took you to receive payment after successfully selling a domain name on Godaddy. I want to make sure Im not acting erratic after multiple emails and 26 days I have not received payment and response to my emails are a hit and miss. I am currently in the process of gathering information to give to a lawyer.

The domain sold price is a nothing burger $500 but Godaddy seems way too comfortable not sending payment and not responding to emails. I also decided to transfer all of my domains from Godaddy to another registrar that I have very few issues with.

Kinda off topic but I went to inquire about a domain name on Afternic and I saw the broker was from "Godaddy Division". It was only later I found out that Godaddy has aquired Afternic so I refuse to buy domains from Afternic now. That $500 is going to end up costing them more than they think.
If you will pm me the domain name I will be happy to look into it for you. I apologize for the delay.
 
4
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back