Dynadot

Is Afternic always so slow?

NameSilo
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi Np's,

I have a transfer going on through Afternic.
They seem very slow with answering messages and sending funds.
The domain is already a week hanging in transfer process and they key has been sent already.

Are Afternic and Godaddy connected? As soon as i change my payment details Godaddy also send emails about the changes.

What are your Afternic experiences?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, it's a very slow process and afternic are part of godaddy.

The worst part is after the name has been transferred and the money sent. They then seem to take an age to give the cash to the seller.

At least its relatively safe and secure though.

•••
Yes, it's a very slow process and afternic are part of godaddy.

The worst part is after the name has been transferred and the money sent. They then seem to take an age to give the cash to the seller.

At least its relatively safe and secure though.

Thanks! That's what i noticed tho. Even when i send the TA agent a message it takes them 48 up to 72 hours to reply. But they're keen on grabbing commission directly ofcourse!

•••
I have domains 'Pending Review' going on 3 months.

•••
I've been going through HELL (relatively speaking) since the beginning of the month for 2 names I sold there. Money was received by Afternic, name was transferred, but to send the funds to myself, it's still issue after issue and at this moment, still haven't received the funds.

Initially I called Afternic when the Afternic profile wasn't showing that the proper payout info and despite putting the right info, it wasn't changing.

1) Called and was told, don't worry, on our side it shows the correct info and I'll make a note of it and just to wait for the funds.
------- Waited about a week and nothing was received.
2) Called back, was told they're going to look into it with the Escrow Dept. and get back to me within the next 24-48 hours.
------- No call or email back
3) Called them back and was told one of the payments was sent several days ago to my Paypal. Nothing was received.. Again was told they will check with the "Escrow Dept" as to what's happening.
--- Again no prompt answer back. At this point was getting irritated as the names are transferred, they have their cut, but I still don't have my money!
4) I sent another email and called as I was getting irritated of what felt to be the run around and I guess since they were getting several emails now and calls they were getting irritated enough themselves that they escalated the issue to a payment manager or so it seems. They checked and said there was a problem with the payment processor's system and the Development team has pinpointed the issue now and I'm supposedly going to get the funds shortly. (This was yesterday)

Funny enough they use the same payment processor as Godaddy who had no issue to send the funds to my Paypal for a name I sold there during the same timeframe that I was having these issues with Afternic.

Hoping it really is finally fixed and I'll finally get the funds after 22 days now.

Last edited:
•••
I have domains 'Pending Review' going on 3 months.

At this point remove and put them back.. I asked one of their reps to send me a list of the "pending review" names as in their system you can't do a triage with "pending review" from what I tried.
They sent the list and I removed and relisted them, many of them got listed right away.

I think when you have a lot of names, there's glitches that happen which shouldn't. This also includes forwarding your names to them. I did spot checks with my names and quite a few weren't forwarding even though nameservers were fine. They have a system that checks each name and makes sure it forwards properly but have to ask them to do so, takes about 24 hours, but it was an issue from their side. Some were forwarding to Afternic, but the for sale banner wasn't even there, so buyers couldn't even contact.. Needless to say I forwarded my names back to my site after all these issues.

Last edited:
•••
IMO everything was relatively OK (yes a bit slow) before they came up with this Transaction Assurance BS. Now everything is just crap, like total crap. Hate it so much it's beyond description.

•••
When the domain is not in "Fast-transfer" it is longer to complete a transaction because we cannot communicate directly with the buyer it takes longer.

Then once the buyer confirms reception of domain, it takes 8 days to receive funds.

When you have domain in "Pending review" for too long, just send them an email and they will process all of them within a day or two. Everytime I send them an email, they are responding very quickly. Whether its for "Pending review" or to have a newly acquired domain removed from the previous owner's account so I can publish it under my account.

Personally I never had problem with them but again I only had a few sales.

•••
***by the way Dominic, both my sales were fast-transfer

•••
And if I had to guess, the whole, and only, point of this Transaction Assurance BS (which was supposed to make our lives easier) was to get rid of most of the support reps. I have a nightmare of a transaction going on atm with Afnic and it really doesn't help that support answers all the requests with 3 day delay. If you ask me, it's just f#%$ing stupid.

Edit: To be fair, part of the blame goes to idiots @ Dotster regarding the transaction I mentioned. Which at the moment seems to be going south altogether so wait for the s&#%show of the year thread...

Last edited:
•••
They prepare already the transfer for 1.5 week. A week ago an agent replied with my apology i'm so late etc etc the funds will be cleared tomorrow. I'm a week further and still in the "preparing transfer"status.

For the commission they charge i must say that the service is terrible. If you write a email throug the "message a TA agent" link it easily takes 5 days before you get a lame reply. I rather not to do business with them anymore because this is ridicilous. Domain is gone, token is transferred etc. Feels like they ripping my domain. Bad bad service.......!! most probabely they sit on their commission now and don't care about customers funds.

Last edited:
•••
In general Afternic is pretty good, lately they seem to have changed some processes or management structure which is causing issues for sellers. I'm confident they will get these issues fixed despite it being dreadful at the moment.

•••
IMO everything was relatively OK (yes a bit slow) before they came up with this Transaction Assurance BS. Now everything is just crap, like total crap. Hate it so much it's beyond description.
Completely agree. The old escrow/transaction system was working just fine, and was pretty much the only thing at Afternic I didn't have constant issues with. But rather than fix what urgently needs fixing, such as an horrendous portfolio management control panel, names stuck in review for weeks/months, and a dearth of customer support, they scrap the only thing that worked fine, and replace it with a far worse system.

I've always been more than willing to deal with the endless platform issues at afternic.com, because Afternic has been providing me with great sales, but recently there are just way too many problems, and this new transaction system is just one of a number of unacceptable issues I have encountered recently. I've been pointing most of my domains to their landing pages since last summer, but I'm now in the process of pointing all my names elsewhere. Using Afternic as your main sales platform is no longer viable IMO.

Will just leave names with BINs opted in to fast-transfer, so that whatever sells through Afternic just moves by itself via fast-transfer.

•••
i have sold the domain 5 days ago still no payment no response of any kind.:xf.cry:

Last edited:
•••
Transfer is completed it says now. Agent doesn't reply for 48 hours and no sign of payment yet......

•••
I'm dealing with a bit of the same right now. AfterNic had the domain in their account for 10 days before transferring it to the buyer.

The thing that grills me is my dashboard had consistently stated payout was expected today May 25th. Now come to find a change in payout date (May 30th) for AfterNics delay in transferring the domain from their escrow account to the buyers.

I sent an email to TA to see if this can be resolved quicker but I'm not holding my breath. I'm about ready to pull all of my domains from Afternic and just use Sedo.

•••
Using Afternic as your main sales platform is no longer viable IMO.

Will just leave names with BINs opted in to fast-transfer, so that whatever sells through Afternic just moves by itself via fast-transfer.

+1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back