IT.COM

status-resolved Suggestion: Remove Bump Restriction for Lists Forums

NameSilo
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
Hi there .. so I've decided to get a little more involved and start posting my lists of auction/closeout/available domains ... It's been a couple of days now and each time I get the error:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ategy-com-best-expiration-auction-and-closeout-domains.1006428/

"Your latest reply was posted too soon after your previous post, so the thread was not bumped to the top of the thread list."

Seems my thread will keep dropping to the bottom unless someone else posts or an admin/moderator stickies it.

I'd suggest to cut the time down to just a few hours in consideration of those who post a couple times a day.

Or at the very least (not sure if it's possible with xf) .. make it so the thread information shows the real last post .. even if the thread isn't actually bumped up physically in the specific forum listing.

PS .. also maybe add a "Suggestion" prefix for this forum .. lol ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes please as this is the same section as the freebies
https://www.namepros.com/forums/free-domain-names.290/

Ran into the same error while giving away free domains, I had a fast time limit for claiming, then if a claim went unanswered I had to wait or I didn't get bumped and it dragged on. Would love to continue to give away domains yet it was tedious.

•••
Hello,

Our bump rule used to be once every 24 hours for several years and we lowered that to once every 12 hours near the end of last year for everyone. At the moment and after reviewing bump abuse tactics for several years, 12 hours is the lowest bump time we can allow at this time. Without a bump rule in place, it makes it unfair for everyone when members continue to bump throughout the day pushing other members listings down into the sub-pages. The 12 hours helps regulate that and gives full-time working investors a chance to still stick on page one for at least a little while.

As for your other suggestions, it's pretty standard for most (If not all) forum software to show the original post in the list. It's easier for members to find the subjects they want to read or revisit when the original post/title is showing.

All of the threads in this section are for feedback/suggestion purposes, making it unnecessary to add a prefix. We do however have status prefixes for this forum.

I hope that helps clarify a bit more. Thanks for understanding.

•••
Hey .. thanks for the reply ... and I totally agree on the bump rule for people selling things (auctions, BINs, etc) .. however I was referring to lowering or removing them for expiring/dropping/closeout/available-names lists and the forums that are for giving away free information.

Also .. in terms of the listing display .. (if you didn't want to remove the bumping completely for the forums in question) I didn't mean changing the main title part (that shows original date and thread starter), I was instead referring to the "Last message" date/time/poster .. to have that information be displayed with the up to date information (meaning to have the lastest poster/date/time showing even if the thread is physically sorted the current way keeping the bump penalty in mind).

Anyhow .. not the end of the world .. but just kinda sucks to put in a bunch of work to share free lists, only to have few people going to it because of perceived inactivity.

•••
I totally agree on the bump rule for people selling things (auctions, BINs, etc) .. however I was referring to lowering or removing them for expiring/dropping/closeout/available-names lists and the forums that are for giving away free information.
Those bump down seller's listings on the main Buy Domains page, which is why changing them would hurt sellers, so we aren't going to do that for the reasons I explained in my previous post.

I was instead referring to the "Last message" date/time/poster .. to have that information be displayed with the up to date information (meaning to have the lastest poster/date/time showing even if the thread is physically sorted the current way keeping the bump penalty in mind).
That's what the sorting is based on. If it changes, then the bump penalty wouldn't be applied. If it's not updated, then the bump penalty was applied.

Anyhow .. not the end of the world .. but just kinda sucks to put in a bunch of work to share free lists, only to have few people going to it because of perceived inactivity.
You can bump once per 12 hours to get more exposure. If you're bumping too early and getting the penalty, then you're missing an opportunity for additional exposure, so make sure you wait a full 12 hours before posting again in that thread.

Hope that helps,

•••
That's what the sorting is based on. If it changes, then the bump penalty wouldn't be applied. If it's not updated, then the bump penalty was applied.

Back in my days I mad hacked vBulletin (I wasn't even a programmer .. just did hours and hours of research and trial and error .. tinkering into infinity .. lol) and would have eventually figured out a way to hack it like that ... however .. I'd be the first to say it isn't worth the time .. particularly since it could possibly make upgrades a bloody mess! lol

That being said .. I think maybe you're misunderstanding my main request (where the above wouldn't even be necessary) ... Keep everything as is at 12 hours in all the "Marketplace" category forums ... but remove or further reduce the time for the "Domain Lists" category forums. Or is the reason we're not understanding each other because there is only one master setting and you aren't able to set the time limit for each category/forum?

The only reason I assumed different time settings is because I'm pretty sure I got the error even the times I posted more than 12 hours apart and thought it was never changed from 24 hours in the "Domain Lists" category forums. I'll double check after my next post in my shared list of closeouts/auctions topic and let you know!

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ategy-com-best-expiration-auction-and-closeout-domains.1006428/

•••
Just to confirm what I wrote in my last post ... it is indeed currently set at 24 hour .. as I just posted 21.5 hours after my last post and got the warning it wouldn't be bumped. Again .. I'd suggest lowering/scrapping it .. but at least put it down to 12 hours like the others so that when I post my daily list 23.5 hours after yesterday it'll get rightfully bumped! :)

•••
Keep everything as is at 12 hours in all the "Marketplace" category forums ... but remove or further reduce the time for the "Domain Lists" category forums.
We could make them different (They were accidentally different, which you noticed ;)), but we haven't because it would be unfair to those selling in the marketplace. As I mentioned, all of the threads under Domain Lists also show up on Buy Domains. Therefore, bumps in Domain Lists still push down sales listings and take away exposure from them.

it is indeed currently set at 24 hour .. as I just posted 21.5 hours after my last post and got the warning it wouldn't be bumped
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We forgot to update Domain Lists (To 12 hours from 24 hours) when we lowered the bump limit on the Marketplace.

Fixed. ;)

•••
Would love to continue to give away domains yet it was tedious.
I got approval to change this to every 6 hours for Free Domain threads only.

Hope that helps,

•••
... we haven't because it would be unfair to those selling in the marketplace. As I mentioned, all of the threads under Domain Lists also show up on Buy Domains. Therefore, bumps in Domain Lists still push down sales listings and take away exposure from them.

Ah .. didn't quite catch what you meant before about the master listing .. now it makes a lot more sense to have the rule.

Anyhow .. for me it wasn't even about 12 hours .. 21hrs would have actually been fine .. my problem was that each day I posted minutes or an hour earlier than the day before ... so at 24hrs it never bumped and I kept getting the warning. But I think 6 hours is great! Thanks :)

•••
Did you decide to revert back to 24 hours on this?

I just posted my list at 11:57am EST after posting yesterday's at exactly 12:00pm (noon EST) and got the notification that there was not enough time so nobody will think I posted and anybody subscribed to the thread will not be informed! :(

https://www.namepros.com/threads/at...-auction-and-closeout-domains.1006428/page-14

I fyou're not going to remove the restriction all together then I suggest at least lowering it significantly to anything between 6 and 11 hours.

24 hours just makes no sense ... I posted 3 minutes earlier than I did yesterday and it's like I didn't post at all! :(

•••
We changed it to 2 bumps a day, which is the same as before, but there isn't a restriction on when you post those 2 bumps anymore. Therefore, you can use your 2 bumps whenever you'd like. In your case, it looks like you used them both back to back because your posts are too large to fit in a single post.

Is that correct? If so, you might consider changing the formatting (e.g., colors) of your posts. The formatting is using up a lot of space. With less formatting, you might be able to fit everything in a single post. You can test that in our non-public test forum:

Another benefit of the new system is that you do not have to wait another 12 hours if you bump early, because failed bumps don't count; they simply get ignored. In order words, if you post early by mistake (e.g., 1 minute early), you don't have to wait another 12 hours from the mistaken/early post to bump. You can simply post in the thread again in 1-2 minutes to bump it.

•••
We changed it to 2 bumps a day, which is the same as before, but there isn't a restriction on when you post those 2 bumps anymore. Therefore, you can use your 2 bumps whenever you'd like. In your case, it looks like you used them both back to back because your posts are too large to fit in a single post.

Is that correct? If so, you might consider changing the formatting (e.g., colors) of your posts. The formatting is using up a lot of space. With less formatting, you might be able to fit everything in a single post. You can test that in our non-public test forum:

Another benefit of the new system is that you do not have to wait another 12 hours if you bump early, because failed bumps don't count; they simply get ignored.
You mean we don't have to wait 12 hours between bumps anymore? Is it simply 2 bumps per calendar day now? If so, which time zone is used?

•••
It's based on the time of your bumps: no time zone needed. If the limit is 2 bumps a day, then the first two posts in that 24 hours period (beginning from your first bump) will bump and all others will not bump.

Learn more.

•••
So it is the exact time stamp of the first post of the day that determines it? If so, that means your subsequent daily posts have to get later and later until you must skip a day to get an update.

I thought from other comments I'd read that it was 12 hours, but I think I was a few minutes off from the 24-hour limit, and got hammered because of it.

The only solution for those looking to post multiple lists per day seems to be creating a different thread for each list, but wouldn't that clog up the forums?

Last edited:
•••
So it is the exact time stamp of the first post of the day that determines it? If so, that means your subsequent daily posts have to get later and later until you must skip a day to get an update.
Does this post answer your question?

I thought from other comments I'd read that it was 12 hours, but I think I was a few minutes off from the 24-hour limit, and got hammered because of it.
With the new bump system, if you try to bump early, nothing bad should happen; you'll just get an alert informing you that you tried to bump too early. Then, you can simply wait a few more minutes until you've earned back the bump and try to bump again.

What do you mean by hammered?

The only solution for those looking to post multiple lists per day seems to be creating a different thread for each list, but wouldn't that clog up the forums?
Could you provide an example of the types of different lists you'd like to post in a single day?

We can look into other solutions or changes.

Thanks.

•••
Thanks for the link, and that does answer my question on how the exact times work.

As for the other questions, it's important to note that I am not talking about actually "bumping" a thread, but posting new content to an existing list thread. For example, I might want to post a list of Expired Auctions and then a few hours later, a list of Closeouts.

And as for "hammered", maybe I was a bit colorful, but this morning when I posted a list, I missed the 24 hours by a few minutes, and remained 7-8 spots down rather than going to the top of the thread list. I got around that by editing the list after the 24-hour period had elapsed.

It's kind of a Catch-22 - I don't want to clog up the forums with multiple threads (some do it anyway) but you're penalized if you create 2 lists/posts (or more) per day and incorporate them into the same thread.

•••
It's kind of a Catch-22 - I don't want to clog up the forums with multiple threads (some do it anyway) but you're penalized if you create 2 lists/posts (or more) per day and incorporate them into the same thread.
That particular section allows up to 3 active threads at a time, so you could have two separate threads: 1 thread for each list.

However, it's perfectly fine to post them both in the same thread; just be sure to check your previous timestamps before posting and you won't run into any bumping problems. As you noticed, the penalty for making a mistake is quite small: you just have to wait until the right time and then take a small action to correct it, which will bump the thread.

We hope that helps.

TODO: It would be a good idea for us to make it 1 minute less than 24 hours to avoid the issue you mentioned.

•••
I think a more functional way of doing it would be for the limit to be a 23 hour clock if they truly want it to be twice a day (I'd actually prefer 21 hours, but 23 would already be a huge improvement). Because the way it is now the clock goes forward a few minutes at least per day .. then at some point if you want to get back to the original time the only way to do it is to miss a post.

I agree that I don't like clogging up the lists either. The only reason I do it in 2 threads myself is because my curated lists are too long for single posts that I usually physically need 2 posts per day for each of my auction and closeout lists (for a while it was 3 posts, but I cleaned up my coding a bit). (NP limits posts to 150,000 characters)

I think the other key to make the general forum index cleaner and more meaningful, is that the lists should be limited to those lists that are actually curated. In the past there were some lists that were simply based on generic search results. So essentially a handful of us (now down to just me and maybe one or two others) do all the work, then others come in to benefit from our work. Which is 100% fine and fair if they are also doing real work .. but if all people do is copy/paste a search result already available on the auction sites, then it's a slap in the face to those of us who actually do real work to bring exclusive lists. Vastly more important on that, is that anyone can do those "search result" lists, and then there's nothing to stop 5 people from posting the same lists flooding the forum with identically useless lists that can easily be found directly on the auction sites.

In the past I talked to a couple of others who did lists, and there definitely is an overall frustration of lack of it being worth our effort .. obviously there isn't anything NP can do to make people already reading our threads to buy more .. but NP can make it more encouraging for people to come up with quality lists. Maybe even switch up the "Domain Auction" adbox to regularly include lists that have a history of being consistent in bringing curated lists and valuable content to NamePros, which per thread, IMO bring substantially more value to the forum than individual auctions.

That being said .. I think I'm probably the only person who shares such a deep curated list of so many auction domain names with integrated data that I bust through the 150,000 character limit and have no choice but to span multiple posts .. lol .. so maybe I'm just being overly picky!? But it would be nice to see NP do something proactive to help out those of us who have a history of consistently bringing value to the forums every day, day in and day out! ;)

•••
I think a more functional way of doing it would be for the limit to be a 23 hour clock
That'd work, too, similar to 1 minute less than 24 hours, but it may complicate the explanation since it wouldn't quite be "per day" anymore; it'd be "per 23 hours," which is unusual in things like this.

I bust through the 150,000 character limit and have no choice but to span multiple posts
It's worth noting that the formatting of your posts (BB Code such as colors) is why your posts reach that limit. If your post was solely text, it would fit in a single post.

Interestingly, we had to lower the character limit because your posts were so large with so much formatting that they were freezing a lot of users' browsers when they visited your thread. We resolved that by making the post limit smaller so that less content can appear on a single page before moving to a new thread page.

So essentially a handful of us (now down to just me and maybe one or two others) do all the work, then others come in to benefit from our work
Could you provide us with some examples of this? Are you saying that they're reading through your lists and posting a smaller version of it, or copying all of the domains with their own affiliate links?

If the latter, this rule can be applied:
  • Rule 1.12. Duplicate content is forbidden unless quoted, used within reason, and applicable to where it's posted. Duplicate content includes writing or sharing the same content in multiple places on NamePros, posting content that has been copied from other websites, etc. Rule 1.27 applies.

if all people do is copy/paste a search result already available on the auction sites, then it's a slap in the face to those of us who actually do real work to bring exclusive lists
This should solve itself based on quality: if your lists are better than the generic search result lists, your thread will get more watchers/subscribers, engagements, and interest than other lower-quality lists.

Vastly more important on that, is that anyone can do those "search result" lists, and then there's nothing to stop 5 people from posting the same lists flooding the forum with identically useless lists that can easily be found directly on the auction sites.
That's a fair point. We could require that the lists be unique so that whoever publishes it first is the winner and no one else can publish those domains in their list, but that would affect you, too, since you're doing it manually and likely won't be able to post them as quickly as someone posting search results.

But it would be nice to see NP do something proactive to help out those of us who have a history of consistently bringing value to the forums every day, day in and day out!
We're open to all suggestions. :)

•••
This should solve itself based on quality: if your lists are better than the generic search result lists, your thread will get more watchers/subscribers, engagements, and interest than other lower-quality lists.

Exactly, and there is no magic or voodoo going on here, and everyone is utilizing the same available data like price, valuation, bids, age, time remaining, character size, TLD, word/multi-word, patterns, etc. and this is all freely downloadable information that anyone can use daily to produce similar results, otherwise no one could do it, right? Every day I load all 4 major auctions' data into a database and run BI queries for my own use and for the site, and anyone out there can do the same thing to get absolutely any data set they want.

All these lists are really doing is saving people the time and effort of doing the job themselves, and providing one-stop access to the data they might like to peruse or use. North America is now a service economy, like Starbucks selling you a $5 coffee you could make for 50-cents. Is it better? That's solely up to personal tastes, but it sure is easier.

Plus, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what I may find interesting (like .CA TBR, 5-8 letter pronounceable .COM auctions, aged dictionary words, daily market leader trends, daily domain sales) may not appeal to someone else, just as Closeouts and Recently-Dropped don't usually appeal to me due to their significantly lower quality compared to me winning a one-bid $12 auction. If it hits Closeout, I already passed.

But that doesn't mean other people aren't looking for missed auctions or hidden deals, especially at the $5 bargain bin level where you can save some money. Others would scoff at my cheapass tactics and wouldn't even think of bidding on a domain auction until it hits 4-figures. Other have even higher standards.

More power to 'em, different strokes for different folks, people make the world go round.

•••
@DomainRecap .. nice timing .. lol .. I already wrote most of the below before your post .. but just to reply to yours .. from what I gathered upon a quick look the other day .. I'm pretty sure you actually curate your lists (meaning you don't simply spit out the top X highest godaddy value) .. I've had a crazy week so admittedly haven't looked at anyone else's threads with too much detail, and yours is very new. What I'm talking about is like in the link I posted below where the person simply took a basic search result directly from GoDaddy and didn't curate at all ...

That'd work, too, similar to 1 minute less than 24 hours, but it may complicate the explanation since it wouldn't quite be "per day" anymore; it'd be "per 23 hours," which is unusual in things like this.

Well .. you don't actually need to change or say anything .. 99% of users won't even notice, it's just that those who post "almost" 24 hours later won't get an error. No need to get overly technical with the explanation! ;)

I said 21 or 23 hours .. but it could even be 23.5 hours if you're resistant to the idea. Essentially all I'm saying is that exactly just a single minute is still rather tight as you need to have everything ready and still be sitting there and click exactly in that particular minute .. and that's every single day to the exact minute without exception. 23 hours gives content creators a bit of much needed flexibility and wiggle room.

If the setting is per forum, then for auctions you could be stricter with 23:55, but listing pages being 23:00. Although if it's a single setting then 23.5 I think would be a fair compromise, while at the same time still technically be 24 hours (rounded up .. lol).

It's worth noting that the formatting of your posts (BB Code such as colors) is why your posts reach that limit. If your post was solely text, it would fit in a single post.

Yeah .. I cleaned my code significantly not too long ago .. unfortunately doing so removed my grandfathered URL shortener with GoDaddy forwarding .. as of a couple of months ago, you can no longer use forwarding to shorten URLs. So I shortened the code per domain significantly, but the URLs got significantly longer, with the net result being a lot of work for only a 10% shorter code. I'll try to do another round of code cleaning .. but at this point after my last code cleaning I can fit about 350 domains in a single auctions post, and well over 400 in the closeouts. This week I've had a ton of stuff on my plate with slightly shorter lists, and it's made all the difference with just a single post for each. When I only have one post, then none of this even matters, as I can post one post a day at any time I want with no penalty.

Another factor is that there are now often over 50,000 domains at auction per day .. while when I started my new process (in the quieter summer months) there tended to be under 40,000 per day.

As for the colours, I removed some, but people really key in on # of bids, so it's really helpful to members that I keep that column colour coded.

Interestingly, we had to lower the character limit because your posts were so large with so much formatting that they were freezing a lot of users' browsers when they visited your thread. We resolved that by making the post limit smaller so that less content can appear on a single page before moving to a new thread page.

Ha .. I beat NamePros! :)

In my defence .. my non-list posts are infinitely longer than the average post anyways .. I bring a lot of Google love with all my posts! lol

Are you able to set the number of posts per page to a different number per specific forum? You could maybe drop it to 10 posts per page in the lists section if so?

What was the old character limit? 200k?

Could you provide us with some examples of this? Are you saying that they're reading through your lists and posting a smaller version of it, or copying all of the domains with their own affiliate links?

I honestly don't really have time to check other people's lists thoroughly enough to see if they are cherry picking from my own lists .. certainly possible, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I hate pointing fingers .. because I'm not even sure if these people are technically breaking the rules, but an example is the following thread .. which simply lists the top X search result for closeouts by GoDaddy value. Zero effort and zero curation:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/hi...able-for-5-buy-now-godaddy-closeouts.1104187/

Again .. I'm not accusing anyone of breaking the rules when how those rules are specifically applied to lists is a little arbitrary and certainly open to interpretation. But tomorrow I could set up my system to spit out such a list in a minute or two .. but in reality anyone could get the same list directly at GoDaddy simply grabbing the closeout list sorted by value.

What's worse is you couldn't even blame anyone from copying another person's list because in fact they simply got the basic search result directly from GoDaddy. It could be very possible the 3 people each post the same simple uncurated list without even knowing of the other 2.

I'm not sure if posting a directly copied list from GoDaddy is technically a copyright issue or not? It likely is, although obviously I doubt they care since it's all about domains they are selling.

Even from NamePros' perspective I can understand that you simply see such uncurated lists as more content .. it's just that as someone who puts in a huge amount of time actually manually curating my list, it really gets a little under my skin to share my clicks with lists that have zero curation.

Well .. that actually really how it works. Because any person who has clicked on 100 of my links, but then subsequently clicks on just 1 of those other links essentially nullify 100% their visit to my list. The effect is the same as if the list reader never even came to my list, as the only thing that counts for commissions is "the last click".

That's a fair point. We could require that the lists be unique so that whoever publishes it first is the winner and no one else can publish those domains in their list, but that would affect you, too, since you're doing it manually and likely won't be able to post them as quickly as someone posting search results.

That would effectively be impossible to do .. and to police ... I have no issues with some duplication .. my lists are so deep and thorough that it wouldn't be fair to others to not allow any links from my own list.

And to be very honest .. I make so little per hour from my lists that I would simply stop posting the list if I had to double check each and every domains from every other list and cross reference each of my 300-400 domains I list per day.

At the end of the day I do concede there is no simple clean solution as the forum owners. I can see how for you, you definitely want as many lists as possible, regardless of quality, overlap or non-curation.

We're open to all suggestions. :)

Well .. as mentioned above .. the green "auction" forum notification box/bar at the top each forum page could be alternated with a different colour (orange maybe? lol) box advertising lists in the similar way auctions are advertised. My vote would obviously be to split the share up by number of characters .. lol .. But seriously, random threads "updated by thread starter within the last 24hours" would likely be the most effective (to be sure people don't get sent to lists that are too old).

Also, maybe occasionally have the NP blog/news/emails refer to things in the lists (although I'm not sure if I'm the only one who actually does write a text "blog" portion on some days).

Speaking of long posts .. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Are you able to set the number of posts per page to a different number per specific forum? You could maybe drop it to 10 posts per page in the lists section if so?
Yes, but that would interfere with existing links and redirects that are expecting a certain post or conversation to take place on a particular page, since it would shift a lot of posts around throughout the site.

Plus, it's really only needed on a handful of threads out of 1 million+. :)

Unfortunately, the setting is global and can't be changed on a per-section basis.

What was the old character limit? 200k?
We've lowered it a few times over the years. Originally, it may have been as high as 1 million. It was very large but didn't take into consideration the page load speeds of older browsers or mobile hardware. The current limit takes all of that into account now.

I said 21 or 23 hours .. but it could even be 23.5 hours if you're resistant to the idea. Essentially all I'm saying is that exactly just a single minute is still rather tight as you need to have everything ready and still be sitting there and click exactly in that particular minute .. and that's every single day to the exact minute without exception. 23 hours gives content creators a bit of much needed flexibility and wiggle room.

If the setting is per forum, then for auctions you could be stricter with 23:55, but listing pages being 23:00. Although if it's a single setting then 23.5 I think would be a fair compromise, while at the same time still technically be 24 hours (rounded up .. lol).
Thanks; we'll look into it. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back