IT.COM

Suggestion: Push to SEDO auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rmg

Established Member
Impact
Hi!

I am not sure but I think that the forum doesnt have one section like this (that we have for example at DNF):

- we ask to push our domains into a SEDO auction.

I think that it would be very useful.

Regards to all

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm asking because I don't know - but isin't pushing a
domain to auction without the intent of buying it some
sort of fraud?

•••
I think the intention is to buy when a name is pushed by another member if there are no other bids. The seller is in fact taking a risk by taking the name to auction.

On the other hand, the buyer has a chance to get a good bargain.

Personally I don't like this idea due to the unethical nature of this practice.

Last edited:
•••
Personally I don't like this idea due to the unethical nature of this practice.

There is nothing unethical here. For instance let's say you want to sell TradeDirectory.com on Sedo auction. I would happily place a $60 bid on it which will let you to send it to auction. This doesn't mean I'm not prepared to pay the $60 and buy the domain. On the contrary it is a genuine bid. When you ask me to place a bid you should also be prepared to sell it for the price if there are no other bids.

Once I had a CVCV.com domain that I wanted to send to auction. I asked a namepros member to place a bid on it which he did and I sent it auction. It sold for 2020 USD. The bid was a genuine bid and I would honour the sale even if there were no other bids. What is unethical here?

but isn't pushing a domain to auction without the intent of buying it some
sort of fraud?
How did you come to that conclusion that there is no intention of buying? If you have a list of domains you can send them along and I can tell you on which of them I would happily place a $60 bid on sedo with the full intention of buying them if they end at that price.

Last edited:
•••
There is nothing unethical here. For instance let's say you want to sell TradeDirectory.com on Sedo auction. I would happily place a $60 bid on it which will let you to send it to auction. This doesn't mean I'm not prepared to pay the $60 and buy the domain. On the contrary it is a genuine bid. When you ask me to place a bid you should also be prepared to sell it for the price if there are no other bids.

Once I had a CVCV.com domain that I wanted to send to auction. I asked a namepros member to place a bid on it which he did and I sent it auction. It sold for 2020 USD. The bid was a genuine bid and I would honour the sale even if there were no other bids. What is unethical here?

I agree with you; there is nothing unethical in the scenario you have presented.

I take a different view. Basically I see some element of shill bidding in this practice. Suppose I have a crappy name and I cannot find any buyer. I ask a friend of mine to push this name and thus I deceive other buyers, luring them towards my name by creating a false demand.

•••
How did you come to that conclusion that there is no intention of buying? If you have a list of domains you can send them along and I can tell you on which of them I would happily place a $60 bid on sedo with the full intention of buying them if they end at that price.

Like I said, I was asking because I don't know...
and I don't see it being done in the places I frequent.

Trying to understand the logic behind it.
but I don't understand why the seller would have to ask for
bids/pushes at all...
If it's a good name, wouldn't it get a bid anyway?

Or is it because having a bid gives it more exposure and
a chance of another bidder? :-/

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

I agree with you; there is nothing unethical in the scenario you have presented.

I take a different view. Basically I see some element of shill bidding in this practice. Suppose I have a crappy name and I cannot find any buyer. I ask a friend of mine to push this name and thus I deceive other buyers, luring them towards my name by creating a false demand.

Erdinc's explanation is different than the OP's post - so I would
agree with that statement.

I also agree with the shills as Jawed mentioned - that was the
first thought when I read the OP's post.

•••
I don't understand why the seller would have to ask for bids/pushes at all...
If it's a good name, wouldn't it get a bid anyway?

It might get offers but maybe not at the time you need to make a sale. If you need money soon and you have a valuable domain, pushing to auction at Sedo is a good idea.

However I suggest this only for domains that other domainers are also interested in like numeric domains, LLL.com or CVCV.com domains.

I needed to rise money urgently for another domain purchase and that strategy worked out well for me.

Jawed,
Sedo requires account verification for buyers. I doubt any friend of yours would simply bid on your domain to make you happy without intention of purchase. Their sedo account would probably be suspended. I don't know if sedo actually does this but if they don't they should start doing it. What I know is that I'm not going to risk my certified sedo account to make a favour to anybody if I don't plan to buy the domain.

•••

For me, this is the point...

We are talking about domains that value more than $60 and we want to send it to SEDO auction...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back