NameSilo

Sudden traffic boom on some of my domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kaffekoppen

Established Member
Impact
Hello friends!

Been lurking here on NP for a while now and today i really need your wisdom!

I have some .us domains parked on sedo and this weekend, 3-4 of them just exploded with traffic. From around 100 visitors per day on my portfolio to 8k+ in 2 days... I also lowered the price to $199 on each of them just before this happened.

What should i do now? The traffic gotta be fake right? 2.5k uniques on one day to a 199 dollar domain?

Can assure you i have NO assosiation with linking or bots. That's whats most disturbing. Why would anyone spam my parked domains with that kind of traffic?

Is there any chanse this is real? (and they were put off by the low price?). It's some pretty nice domain names except its .us TLD...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you find out where the traffic comes from using google analytics or something similar ? It will help you make a decision.

Is there some real content (even if it's parked, there may be a few sentences) ?

I have had similar behavior several years ago with a peak of traffic (1000 visistors per day or so). One time, it was a big magazine linking to me, and an other time, it was a change in yahoo ranking algorythm. On both cases, it did not last long. A couple weeks or may be a month if I recall well.

•••
Hello friends!

Been lurking here on NP for a while now and today i really need your wisdom!

I have some .us domains parked on sedo and this weekend, 3-4 of them just exploded with traffic. From around 100 visitors per day on my portfolio to 8k+ in 2 days... I also lowered the price to $199 on each of them just before this happened.

What should i do now? The traffic gotta be fake right? 2.5k uniques on one day to a 199 dollar domain?

Can assure you i have NO assosiation with linking or bots. That's whats most disturbing. Why would anyone spam my parked domains with that kind of traffic?

Is there any chanse this is real? (and they were put off by the low price?). It's some pretty nice domain names except its .us TLD...

this is quite disturbing, although on the positive side - does it generate a substantial peak on your parking revenue? if it does then it will surely boost the value of your domain... pls. monitor its consistency overtime and you will see its over-all impact to your wallet...

•••
I would put google analytics an find out if its bot or real traffic. Also DomainNameSales pays good rates for PPC. I would park it with them right away. Also put up some affiliate offers for this type of traffic. You may hit a jackpot.

•••
Thanks so much for your help guys =). Wow i really write like a 5 year old some times (I'm from Sweden, that's my excuse ^^).

´Really good points! Getting to it right now. I'll update later!

•••
I have noticed inconsistencies with Sedo in the past.
Some names were getting hundreds of hits per day but no clicks. So I hosted the domains for a while and they were getting 1-2 hits per day, as per the raw Apache log. Clearly a bug on their end.

•••
Yeah... The weird thing is that i had 57% CTR on that traffic. 5k something clicks last i checked (for the amazing revenue of 1.5 euro!!!).

Now i have parked them at bodis. 0 Traffic :/. I tried and the url and redirects to ads are working. No idea whats happening now tbh :P

•••
I guess sedo's view system ´must have bugged then. Because i still have no views.

Weird thing is that i had revenue and everything from sedo :/

•••
BOTS... They are everywhere!

•••
From before I read your post I knew you were talking about Sedo!!!! Just from your title.

I had the same experience with Sedo, where a huge chunk of my domains were getting a high boost in traffic... I got my first xxx parking payout and I was ecstatic!!!

Unfortunately, maybe a week later Sedo messaged me saying I was banned from their parking???? I was so pissed because I didn't know where the increase in traffic came from. All I did was change the name servers to Sedo and nothing more. I felt so disrespected I didn't even fight it. I just said whatever and moved on. My long term goals wasn't eating peanuts from their parking. But I do believe in integrity and I don't like bullshit accusations.

My domains are parked elsewhere I traffic is normal as usual. So I think Sedo got their own glitch or someone is trying to screw Sedo!!!!!

Take caution and call them from now to let them know you have an increase and you don't know why..So they have a record of it.

•••
Sedo Parking has been crap for years. Payouts used to be good, then you were lucky to get a penny for a click. Then you would get 10 clicks and 1 penny total. Then more clicks and no money. Probably doesn't hurt to have your names listed there with a make offer but I wouldn't park for (non-existent) money.

•••
BOTS... They are everywhere!

Since I run my own sales pages and servers I'll +1 this. B-)
Most domains see 50% + bot traffic. Each parking company has different filtering in place, based on using quite a few parking companies in the past I'll say Sedo doesn't filter much out. Bodis does pretty well at killing da bots.

Same as cloudflare is pretty popular as a CDN but basically blocks nothing out. Where Incapsula free plan blocks more bots out than the paid cloudflare plan.

Been running my own servers since 2002 or 2003 so I've been combating malicious traffic for quite a while and each year crap traffic I need to silence increases.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back